The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

16 minutes ago, McBuddha said:

I´m suddenly guessing (or wishig for) a museum since the newly released Ideas set 21320 Dinosaur Fossils would make an excellent addition! :)

It will need to be a pretty big museum unless you are going to display the Fossils outdoors.  32 x 32 baseplate is just over 10 inches.  T Rex is 15.4 inches long (and nearly 7 inches tall) and Triceretops is 10.6 inches long.

Still no signs of the new modular... :hmpf_bad: Keep seeing @Bricked1980‘s great modulars whenever I look for “LEGO 2020 modular”, lol. Maybe he signed a contract with TLG without us knowing? :laugh:

I don’t know what they’ll do as the subject of the modular but architecture wise I hope it won’t go any plainer. I would love/adore to see an Art Nouveau or an early Art Deco building if they are going back in time or a contemporary building with some strange shapes if they’re going to the present even though we’re unlikely to see something of that kind without a few transition modulars... I mean in which style could it be? Which possibilities do we have? 

8 minutes ago, CSW652 said:

So about when do they usually announce the next modular again?

Assembly Square was announced in October

Downtown Diner was announced at the very end of November

Corner Garage was announced in December

Lego are announcing as late as possible (in part to prevent the knockoffs being on sale too soon). Unless there's a leak, I wouldn't expect anything for over a month. 

On 10/18/2019 at 4:10 AM, LegoModularFan said:

Still no signs of the new modular... :hmpf_bad: Keep seeing @Bricked1980‘s great modulars whenever I look for “LEGO 2020 modular”, lol. Maybe he signed a contract with TLG without us knowing? :laugh:

Wait. I totally thought he'd signed a secret deal with Lego for it to become the next modular set. :drunk:

9 hours ago, paupadros said:

Wait. I totally thought he'd signed a secret deal with Lego for it to become the next modular set. :drunk:

I'm still waiting for them to send me the contracts. :laugh::laugh:

On 10/25/2019 at 2:29 PM, merman said:

The white baseplate is coming back at the end of this year. Could it be related to the new Modular?

I was thinking the same thing. If it is, because of the white flooring, does anybody think it could be some type of a clinic or hospital?

Edited by BrickFit26

3 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

I was thinking the same thing. If it is, because of the white flooring, does anybody think it could be some type of a clinic or hospital?

There was a City Hospital released this year (something that happens only each 3 or 4 years). I doubt they would release a Creator Hospital at the same year.

I also don’t think the color of the stand alone baseplate would matter for the Creator Modular, since last modulars were mostly tiled on the ground floor (well, except for Corner Garage).

6 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

There was a City Hospital released this year (something that happens only each 3 or 4 years). I doubt they would release a Creator Hospital at the same year.

Friends had a Hospital in June 2017 (retired), City in June 2018 (still sold), so if they'd do something even remotely related to medical theme in Creator Expert, it's still not the same year in 2020.

Edited by TeriXeri

I was curious about the white baseplate too, but it's been quite a while now since a modular building featured a rare or unique baseplate color. I'm actually tempted to think this might be an indicator of either an Architecture Studio 2.0, or that the "Zebra" theme is indeed mosaics as some have speculated.

Of course, neither option rules out the baseplate also being used for the modular, but since baseplates are more frequently left exposed in the backyard than the ground floor, I'd be looking at options where the ground might be white outside. The only two things that spring to mind are a.) snow, and b.) some kind of sculpture garden, which could potentially pair with any number of civic buildings, an art museum, or even high-end hospitality/housing.

21 minutes ago, tafkatb said:

I was curious about the white baseplate too, but it's been quite a while now since a modular building featured a rare or unique baseplate color. I'm actually tempted to think this might be an indicator of either an Architecture Studio 2.0, or that the "Zebra" theme is indeed mosaics as some have speculated.

Of course, neither option rules out the baseplate also being used for the modular, but since baseplates are more frequently left exposed in the backyard than the ground floor, I'd be looking at options where the ground might be white outside. The only two things that spring to mind are a.) snow, and b.) some kind of sculpture garden, which could potentially pair with any number of civic buildings, an art museum, or even high-end hospitality/housing.

You are right about the exposed baseplate in the back of the building. Unless it is a corner building (and 2020 won’t be as the last one was one) there will be a exposed part of the baseplate. Yes, snow is the first thing that comes in mind, but I don’t think they will do that, as it will looks odd together with other modulars. 

On 10/25/2019 at 10:29 PM, merman said:

The white baseplate is coming back at the end of this year. Could it be related to the new Modular?

I don't think the colour of the baseplate has had any relevance since Palace Cinema, as far as I can recall. 

I’ve never really thought much about the colors of the baseplates. I had originally planned to replace them for modulars I own (PR PC DO CG DD AS), to either grey or tan. 

Perhaps I shouldn’t bother. 

I don't think the white base plate will have any connection with the next modular building. I remember in the past there was a similar discussion when it was revealed Lego were relaunching the blue base plates. 

1 hour ago, nikhkin said:

I don't think the colour of the baseplate has had any relevance since Palace Cinema, as far as I can recall. 

That red baseplate worked well also because the building used the rest of the space away from the sidewalks, thus not allowing for a red alley behind the building.  As for a white baseplate, I am surprised it was somehow not incorporated in a Winter Village setting as it would be perfect for a snowy adventure.  

Last year, we had to wait until December for news of the modular.  It was so late in fact, that they did not even feature it in the January calendar on the website to avoid spoiling it.  

21 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

I also don’t think the color of the stand alone baseplate would matter for the Creator Modular, since last modulars were mostly tiled on the ground floor (well, except for Corner Garage).

Doesn't have to be a hospital. It could be some type of private practice, like they had a dentist office in AS. But I agree with the rest, a white base plate will make it look like snow and it wont work.

I know we had a corner garage. But another modular I would like to see is a modular car dealership. Maybe it could include different colors of the Smart car from 2010. 

3177-1.png

I'm not a fan of a modular car dealership. As far as I can tell it would be a big, empty space with a lot of parts wasted on the cars. I can't see a way they could make a flat, empty room interesting. 

Plus, I feel it would end up being a far too modern looking building, rather than the mid-20th century aesthetic we've had fairly consistently so far. Alternatively, it'll just look like a slightly different build of the Corner Diner parts. 

Edited by nikhkin

1 hour ago, pooda said:

I know we had a corner garage. But another modular I would like to see is a modular car dealership. Maybe it could include different colors of the Smart car from 2010. 

Although a car dealership is a possible contender for a future set, I don't think they'd make an auto related modular building 2 years in a row.

38 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Although a car dealership is a possible contender for a future set, I don't think they'd make an auto related modular building 2 years in a row.

Did I exactly say next year? I don't recall. So please don't assume. 

1 hour ago, nikhkin said:

I'm not a fan of a modular car dealership. As far as I can tell it would be a big, empty space with a lot of parts wasted on the cars. I can't see a way they could make a flat, empty room interesting. 

Plus, I feel it would end up being a far too modern looking building, rather than the mid-20th century aesthetic we've had fairly consistently so far. Alternatively, it'll just look like a slightly different build of the Corner Diner parts. 

I'm assuming you've never heard of two story showrooms. 

Ugh. I really hate it when people try to disappoint me on purpose. Especially when it comes to town related Lego sets.