The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

2 hours ago, CSW652 said:

Probably a better chance at that than a modular train station.

1 hour ago, Vilhelm22 said:

A bus station is definitely more likely than a train station - ‘sigh’ - though if something like that happened I reckon it would just be another modular with a bus stop on the side. 

I would definately buy if its a straight instead of a corner. If it is green and yellow, I would use it with my bus from set 60154. I don't think a train station is less likely either. If it were a small version of Union Station in Washington, D.C., it would work. 

Edited by pooda

On 9/26/2019 at 10:07 AM, HereWeGoAgain said:

Honestly it means like pretty much every modular is out of the question lol :laugh_hard:

As a Police Station, we got the Detective Office, with Laundromat to wash dirty money.. which was targeting AFOLS conceptually and TFOLS/Kids with play features.. And yes we got the Fire Brigade, in another style than City, old truck, table tennis etc.. but I don't think they will go that way for a Police Station, it's been years that AFOLS request/wish for it and did not happen.. so I guess, as previously stated that they will go for a more unexpected set approach. 

Also, if we speak about sushi restaurant we have the Ninjago city - modular friendly set - , so I don't think this will occur neither.. And I agree, back to Europe, perhaps Italian style is a good probability..

7 hours ago, Jerry McGlade said:

I think it should be apartments on top of a coffee shop. We don't have a coffee shop so perhaps that's one thought. 

There's one in Assembly Square

As somebody who missed the Detective's office, I would love to see the Police Station, old school with donuts and old computers. And that will be a great excuse to buy a police set (as I don't do that anymore). Also, the Fire Brigade is standing their too lonely. :classic:

27 minutes ago, meliander said:

As somebody who missed the Detective's office, I would love to see the Police Station, old school with donuts and old computers. And that will be a great excuse to buy a police set (as I don't do that anymore). Also, the Fire Brigade is standing their too lonely. :classic:

Eh, it might be too soon for those as modulars again. I think an urgent care (for minifigs, not pets this time :laugh:) is sorely needed in the line. We've got restaurants, apartments, shops, etc. Minifigures need a place their medicine!:grin:

3 minutes ago, KotZ said:

I think an urgent care (for minifigs, not pets this time :laugh:) is sorely needed in the line.

Fine with me! :sweet:

Spitballing ideas here...  We have seen museums in Ideas, and we have seen museums get rejected. We have also seen 48x32 footprints with AS, so could a museum ala the Egyptian MOC be out of the question?  That would be a way to get the dinosaur skeletons that pop up on Ideas into the theme. Alternatively, what about a video arcade with candy store or ice cream shop?  Or comic book store, like the one we never got from The Simpsons. I can’t see a game store or even Lego version of Blockbuster video because the theming seems to be a few decades too early. 

17 hours ago, Jerry McGlade said:

I think it should be apartments on top of a coffee shop. We don't have a coffee shop so perhaps that's one thought. 

We have TWO coffee shops: Café Corner and Assembly Square.

I think it will be another unusual combo. If they’re sticking with American, I bet they’ll go for records store; nothing quite like it in the previous fourteen models and opens up oportunities for great detailing.

For me, as I bet for many, the exterior architecture is everything. Yes, if the interiors feel bad/kinda lazy (looking at you CG :hmpf_bad:), it’s definitely something I dislike, but if the model feels architecturally boring, badly coloured or (again looking at you CG :hmpf_bad::hmpf_bad:) the architecture seems infantile; lacking all the realistic but at the same time fantasy-flavoured Jamie designs, or even the DD, it’s a complete no no for me.

Just now, Aegis1984 said:

Spitballing ideas here...  We have seen museums in Ideas, and we have seen museums get rejected. We have also seen 48x32 footprints with AS, so could a museum ala the Egyptian MOC be out of the question?  That would be a way to get the dinosaur skeletons that pop up on Ideas into the theme. Alternatively, what about a video arcade with candy store or ice cream shop?  Or comic book store, like the one we never got from The Simpsons. I can’t see a game store or even Lego version of Blockbuster video because the theming seems to be a few decades too early. 

You're saying a video rental store is too modern, but you're OK with a video arcade? The most modern building so far is the 1950s. A video game arcade would be from the late 70s at the earliest. 

A penny arcade would be much more in keeping with the sort of thing I expect from lego

Just now, paupadros said:

I think it will be another unusual combo. If they’re sticking with American, I bet they’ll go for records store; nothing quite like it in the previous fourteen models and opens up oportunities for great detailing.

For me, as I bet for many, the exterior architecture is everything. Yes, if the interiors feel bad/kinda lazy (looking at you CG :hmpf_bad:), it’s definitely something I dislike, but if the model feels architecturally boring, badly coloured or (again looking at you CG :hmpf_bad::hmpf_bad:) the architecture seems infantile; lacking all the realistic but at the same time fantasy-flavoured Jamie designs, or even the DD, it’s a complete no no for me.

I could definitely see them doing a record shop of some sort. It would allow them to continue the "story" from the Diner and have the music recorded in that set being sold. However, I'd personally like them to move away from blatantly US-styled buildings. 

Just now, nikhkin said:

I could definitely see them doing a record shop of some sort. It would allow them to continue the "story" from the Diner and have the music recorded in that set being sold. However, I'd personally like them to move away from blatantly US-styled buildings. 

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’ve been longing for a good European modular for two years. Ornated windows, gables, piteched roofs maybe... :drool:

Hopefully they include some good colors in the next modular (like they did with all the teal and pink shades in the Downtown Diner or all that lovely dark red in the Ghostbusters Firehouse). Only reason I dont own the Garage is that ugly dark orange color (which I don't like and don't use).

I too look for great color usage in the modulars. What I find interesting is how one person's disliked color is another person's reason-to-buy color. We did not buy the diner because we were put off by the pink. On the other hand the garage was an instant delight precisely because of the "ugly dark orange". It must be quite a challenge for Lego to design a model with colors that "work" for as many people as possible.

The secret is to try and have colors that please most of the people most of the time. And to have enough variety of colors (and parts and subject material) across all available products such that everyone can find something they like.

On 9/29/2019 at 3:23 PM, Del said:

I too look for great color usage in the modulars. What I find interesting is how one person's disliked color is another person's reason-to-buy color. We did not buy the diner because we were put off by the pink. On the other hand the garage was an instant delight precisely because of the "ugly dark orange". It must be quite a challenge for Lego to design a model with colors that "work" for as many people as possible.

It’s not possible to please all of the people, all of the time, just some of the people, some of the time.  I think LEGO just design a building that a good proportion of the design team like, and then hope.  The latter ones have certainly divided opinion more than the earlier ones. I’ve not met many who don’t like the PR, for example.

On 9/29/2019 at 7:30 AM, Aegis1984 said:

I might be wrong on this...But I think modulars will always get rejected from Ideas because modulars already exist as a line. Looking at the submission requirements that's my interpretation anyway.

Though I'm sure the Lego designers do follow it to see what's popular...so I certainly wouldn't rule out a museum as a future modular.

On 9/25/2019 at 5:12 PM, pooda said:

So....... I assume that means that the modular police station is out of the question. :sad:

Maybe.

11 hours ago, jus1973 said:

. I’ve not met many who don’t like the PR, for example.

I am one of those. :) for me, Detective office, for instance, or bank are way better.

1 hour ago, pooda said:

Goodbye modulars! You'll be missed. 

I didn't get that from the video.  Sounds like they are continuing and there is a new one coming out to me.

Just now, CSW652 said:

I didn't get that from the video.  Sounds like they are continuing and there is a new one coming out to me.

Well in that case.....

YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!

17 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Watching the video I don't feel their enthousiasm about the modular buildings anymore. It's more like they state to continue because of the succes of the line. Could it be they are getting tired of the theme?