The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Just now, HereWeGoAgain said:

I think some of the city sets should be put in their own lineup. Like the whole space stuff that just came out, it should be its own thing instead of being branded "city".

There's definetely plenty of cool jobs that tend to appeal to kids. I know garbage trucks have always been popular, especially in Lego. They should emphasize on that and offer something like a waste treatment facility.

I recommended that once. People argue that it would cost too much. Not if you make it a spin off theme though. Like LEGO City Explorers or LEGO City Police. 

A garbage subtheme would definately surprise me. Another one I would want to see is a subtheme centered around the bus system because I really love the buses that City releases and buses are also popular among children. I also want to see a subtheme centered around pizza delivery. My theory is that the reason they do certain things is because they're just easier to advertise without showing someone in the Lego universe getting hurt along with the fact that they are popular enough. But considering that TLG has just recently done a bait and switch on City by making sets 7+ and that City's goal is to teach children about the different jobs one can have, shouldn't the target audience be old enough to know that in a real work environment, injury is possible!!!! Heck! You're more likely to get hurt on the job then to make it back unscathed. 

4 hours ago, pooda said:

Yeah! It seems like Lego almost exclusively pushes out police, explosives/discovery and great vehicles these days. Along with the occasional side side sets and fire sets. 

Its not that I don't care about children. But there are other jobs that children love and children do get bored of seeing the same thing every year. It doesn't really matter whether the police is in a new environment. Its still the same storyline. Catch the cook off stealing the gold and kick him or her up. We just remembered when City surprised us like from 2006 to 2010. They were still doing well. With the police, great vehicles and explorers system every year, you kinda expect things. Where is the fun in that? 

Now a modular police station, I won't disapprove of because that's something we've never seen before. 

Imho, it's absolutely logical that they push out police/fire sets every two years. Both hold great fascination for children, which are their core market, espcially in the city line-up. And considering that most children will be into Lego for a little over half a decade, and taking into account that they usually will not get all the sets they want every year, I don't think many run the risk of being bored.

And there is plenty of examples for other exciting jobs, too. Exploration, astronauts, mining etc are all subthemes we've seen in recent years.

Don't get me wrong; I get your point. It's just that I think that Lego's target audience in case of City isn't the adult market. And I also think that after a few so-so years, City is one of the few themes where they're moving in the right direction with a lot of the stuff they released this year.

6 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

Imho, it's absolutely logical that they push out police/fire sets every two years. Both hold great fascination for children, which are their core market, espcially in the city line-up. And considering that most children will be into Lego for a little over half a decade, and taking into account that they usually will not get all the sets they want every year, I don't think many run the risk of being bored.

And there is plenty of examples for other exciting jobs, too. Exploration, astronauts, mining etc are all subthemes we've seen in recent years.

Don't get me wrong; I get your point. It's just that I think that Lego's target audience in case of City isn't the adult market. And I also think that after a few so-so years, City is one of the few themes where they're moving in the right direction with a lot of the stuff they released this year.

Police comes every single year. Fire comes three years apart actually. 

Yeah....but other than those, we don't see other exciting jobs. Hopefully in 2020, we'll see some more. 

Except sky police. That was a step in the wrong direction. It was basically something we see in every police theme; helicopters and planes. Maybe except for the drone chase, that subtheme wasn't needed. My nephews agree there and they're only 6 and 9. 

City seems to be doing a new thing this year with its system. The recent sets seem to be targeted towards an older audience now, looking at the space and fire waves. City is just one of those that caters to older audiences more than younger audiences. The average young audiences being no younger than...what....10? I have a marketing degree and study things like this. Children in their single digits are likely to play with Duplo or Creator 3in1s - or do small MOCs than something more challenging like City, Star Wars or Creator Expert. 

Edited by pooda

I hope it wont be a Police Station since I am about to finish my own and I don‘t need two (even though my son might disagree :D).

I think Sky Police is great. Love the new parts they introduced like the visor and oxygen mask (and the parachute as well)

And the sets in general are great sources of neat parts (for the things I build City police stations are pretty much always good sources of parts which is why I own all of them except one older one I never got)

9 hours ago, jonwil said:

I think Sky Police is great. Love the new parts they introduced like the visor and oxygen mask (and the parachute as well)

And the sets in general are great sources of neat parts (for the things I build City police stations are pretty much always good sources of parts which is why I own all of them except one older one I never got)

I agree here , the Jet and Helicopter sets were great and different from regular police.

Police is the best way to introduce "Military" looking vehicles , the helicopter looking like a "Cobra" and the Jet like a hybrid F16/F18.

Even the Parachute works pretty well.

I don't count the 2019 Police car as Sky police, but still a great set as well.

I didn't get the airbase or armored truck sets as I didn't like some parts of it (the criminal twincopter and the large "cargo" plane), which made those sets more expensive.

I can understand arguments for the retail US price, yes it's too high, but I got the Helicopter on sale for around €14 and the Jet for €19.

I know this thread is about Modulars, so don't want to move too much off-topic.

Edited by TeriXeri

I remember the designers saying they dont like to do certain modulate because AFOLs have done some amazing ones of those themes and they don't wang to copy or feel like they may not meet expectations of the great work AFOLs have done. They like to try new things that haven't really been done.

Just now, BrickFit26 said:

I remember the designers saying they dont like to do certain modulate because AFOLs have done some amazing ones of those themes and they don't wang to copy or feel like they may not meet expectations of the great work AFOLs have done. They like to try new things that haven't really been done.

So....... I assume that means that the modular police station is out of the question. :sad:

I hope for a French or Italian style building. Last 2 years there have been very distinctly American buildings and it’s high time to change that

I wouldn’t also mind a Chinese or Japanese inspired Modular with a Sushi restaurant

You know this would be a big success, couse the 80101 Chinese limited set were very desired. And just look at ninjago, that sells extremely well

Edited by ddavid

10 minutes ago, ddavid said:

I wouldn’t also mind a Chinese or Japanese inspired Modular with a Sushi restaurant

You know this would be a big success, couse the 80101 Chinese limited set were very desired. And just look at ninjago, that sells extremely well

While in general I don't exactly hope for yet another restaurant, this would be something awesome. :thumbup:

7 hours ago, pooda said:

So....... I assume that means that the modular police station is out of the question. :sad:

Honestly it means like pretty much every modular is out of the question lol :laugh_hard:

1 hour ago, HereWeGoAgain said:

Honestly it means like pretty much every modular is out of the question lol :laugh_hard:

No more modulars? I never dreamed that day would come. Not that I wanted it to come. 

I don't think there is any need to guess too much. According to lego's explanation, in the next 10 years, modular buildings will maintain the American 50s style, so there are representative buildings in the United States in the 1950s. I think it may not be too familiar.

I reckon it could be along the lines of Detectives Office - A modular which uses the entire length of the baseplate and is a split between two different style buildings. Obviously won't be another corner building after the garage...DD isn't officially a corner building but arguably feels like one as well so that adds to my thinking it'll be a full width building.

What with AS, PR, DD all containing a food/cafe place I'd be surprised if the entire modular ground level was a food/cafe place (admittedly PR or AS are likely to retire soon though)  - but again if my thoughts are correct one of the buildings could be an Ice Cream/Italian shop as others have mentioned.

One of the criticisms of the corner garage is that having a garage and a vets seems like an odd mix - will be interesting to see (again if I'm right) if both buildings have a theme like AS,BB,DO.

Isn't it fun speculating?

1 hour ago, bbrousong said:

I don't think there is any need to guess too much. According to lego's explanation, in the next 10 years, modular buildings will maintain the American 50s style, so there are representative buildings in the United States in the 1950s. I think it may not be too familiar.

What do you mean? 

5 hours ago, bbrousong said:

Where did you read/hear this? 

5 hours ago, bbrousong said:

Can you provide "lego's explanation"?

9 hours ago, Boettner Builds said:

Sort of off topic: the Sesame Street ideas set got approval, I think the building would make a lovely modular especially next to the brownstone (pet shop).

More exited about the pirate bay/cove set personnally!

15 hours ago, pooda said:

Do you guys think we have a shot at seeing a modular bus terminal? 

Probably a better chance at that than a modular train station.

A bus station is definitely more likely than a train station - ‘sigh’ - though if something like that happened I reckon it would just be another modular with a bus stop on the side.  I also honestly reckon a modular police station has no chance with the combination of hundreds of AFOL MOCs, the regular police stations (as far as I can see modulars are normally very rarely made in CITY form (e.g. no French restaurant in CITY) rather than every year in some form) and the detective’s office which is part of a police station.  I’d like to see a museum of some kind (the designer of the new IDEAS set Pirate Cove has had another project of a modular museum reach 10000 supporters) and I really like the tall signs of CC and PC so would like another modular with one of those.