The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

If AS is retired, when do you think LEGO Shop@Home will go out of stock?  I missed BB last year because it went out of stock in November, but PC the previous year lasted until March at least.

Has anything been rumored for next year's modular building other than that post office that was rumored last year as well? I've tried to find some leaks but haven't had any luck...

On 9/13/2019 at 2:29 PM, JJBricker said:

Has anything been rumored for next year's modular building other than that post office that was rumored last year as well? I've tried to find some leaks but haven't had any luck...

Every year we hear less and less rumors or leaks on the next modular. LEGO really is working hard to keep it a secret.

I wonder how often the Lego designers read through forums like ours, and see what we’re wishing for, before deciding to create the models. Admittedly it’ll be a few years as these things take time. Maybe we should be looking back to see what we all wanted in 2016-17.

Hi guys,

Apologies if this is not the right place to post this, but it's driving me nuts. I am building 31097 and I remember I recently saw a really nice MOC, which combined two sets of 31097 to make a nice modular sized building. I've searched every site that I might have visted over the last month (eurobricks, brothers brick, ...), but i just can't find it anymore. I came across the modern living house on rebrickable this morning, but that wasn't it.

Anybody has an idea what I'm talking about and where it might be?

I remember seeing one as well and I think it was on Instagram. However I’ve just searched through all the people I follow and all posts with the tag #31097 and I can’t see it...

5 hours ago, Honbushu said:

Hi guys,

Apologies if this is not the right place to post this, but it's driving me nuts. I am building 31097 and I remember I recently saw a really nice MOC, which combined two sets of 31097 to make a nice modular sized building. I've searched every site that I might have visted over the last month (eurobricks, brothers brick, ...), but i just can't find it anymore. I came across the modern living house on rebrickable this morning, but that wasn't it.

Anybody has an idea what I'm talking about and where it might be?

Is this it? 

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/cr6jxl/lego_31097_cafe_and_townhouse_as_a_modular/

Edited by arnoldtblumberg

Hi, thanks for your replies.

I also saw that one this morning...

Now that I look at all the pictures again, I'm pretty sure it was indeed this one.

Strange how your memory can play tricks on you. I thought that what I saw a while ago, was purely a combination of two sets of 31097 with a 32x32 footprint and I thought it was a different kind of building. But I also remember that it said something about apartments, as it does here. So yeah, I think it was this one.

Anyway, I enjoyed building 31097. It's good for parts and I think it's a good way to introduce kids to the modulars.

Lego has come such a long way since I was a kid in the early 80s with all the different colors and so many more different kinds of bricks. I've recently come out of my dark age and I often wonder if it's not too overwhelming for kids to create something themselves nowadays, but that's another topic ...

I am guessing that Parisian Restaurant will retire and there will be a new restaurant, maybe an Italian or Chinese restaurant.

I think that a Chinese restaurant is a good guess. I've been wanting to make a MOC of a Chinese restaurant for a while now, but I never seem to have time. Quite a few eastern themed sets have come out recently and they clearly were appreciated worldwide.

10 hours ago, CSW652 said:

I am guessing that Parisian Restaurant will retire and there will be a new restaurant, maybe an Italian or Chinese restaurant.

Why would it need to be replaced with another restaurant?

It could just retire and be replaced with a new set with a totally different theme. 

11 hours ago, CSW652 said:

there are 2 restaurants already not including the cafe's in AS and CC
so if it could be a restaurant but i think not.

even if it is a restaurant it would probably not be a Chinese as the palace cinema is already an asian themed building. 

Edited by SollX

Lego will try to recapture the interest that the Parisian restaurant had by creating something on those same lines, hence another restaurant to replace it. 

Why would they not have another Asian style building?  They just released two 50's style ones.  Besides aren't there several new figures and printed pieces from set# 80101 that they could reuse in a Chinese restaurant modular?

Edited by CSW652

What we get depends on who the designer is and their preferences.. Rather than replacing an old modular I think Lego aim to make something new and hopefully better every time. That is most important when it comes to building technique and new parts, but it probably also apply to what the building is..
Personally I hope for something animal related, but since we already have a pet shop and a veterinary chances are slim, but a rare animal mould or two would be great a least :shark:

1 hour ago, CSW652 said:

Lego will try to recapture the interest that the Parisian restaurant had by creating something on those same lines, hence another restaurant to replace it.

PR generated a lot of interest because its a superb set, not because it’s a restaurant.

7 hours ago, gotoAndLego said:

PR generated a lot of interest because its a superb set, not because it’s a restaurant.

This.  

PR looks great from all sides and has a lot of nice exterior detail on it.  I am not worried about whether or not the next modular will be a restaurant, hotel, post office, etc.  I just want it to look nice on the outside, because that is what I will be looking at 99.9% of the time.  If $200 is the new norm, it must look good.  It has been a while since raises have kept up with inflation at my workplace, therefore this set must deliver.  

While they tend to surprise us, I think we are due for another Government type building. Either a Police Precinct House or the oft mentioned Post Office. (If Police I'll predict that there will be a small Donut shop next door. Because some jokes they simply can't not make) 

On 9/22/2019 at 9:45 AM, SollX said:

even if it is a restaurant it would probably not be a Chinese as the palace cinema is already an asian themed building.

PC was released more than six years ago, and has not been in the market for almost two years now. So that argument is moot.

I sort of hope for something china-inspired, as that could kill two birds with one stone: provide some new visual style to the Modular series and also cater to the growing Chinese market.

21 hours ago, CSW652 said:

Why would they not have another Asian style building?  They just released two 50's style ones.  Besides aren't there several new figures and printed pieces from set# 80101 that they could reuse in a Chinese restaurant modular?

15 minutes ago, Darnok said:

PC was released more than six years ago, and has not been in the market for almost two years now. So that argument is moot.

I sort of hope for something china-inspired, as that could kill two birds with one stone: provide some new visual style to the Modular series and also cater to the growing Chinese market.

I think that the designers want to do a building that stands out in the lineup of modulars that exist. ofcourse they could do another asian building but i think that they reather would do something different.

On 9/21/2019 at 10:29 PM, CSW652 said:

Honestly a restaurant would be a bit boring. We already have PR and I would consider the Diner as a restaurant as well.

I think a police station for instance would compliment the Fire Brigade well. Why not a post office? A school? There are so many themes to choose from.

43 minutes ago, HereWeGoAgain said:

I think a police station for instance would compliment the Fire Brigade well. 

I honestly think the Town division of Lego spends too much time with police stations. Better yet, police sets.

From what I've seen on here though, people on Eurobricks seem to love the sets so much that I am known for starting arguments on this forum over there being too many. 

Take note: Eurobricks is the only forum where I can't critique City without being looked at as a criminal. No pun intended. 

9 minutes ago, pooda said:

I honestly think the Town division of Lego spends too much time with police stations. Better yet, police sets.

From what I've seen on here though, people on Eurobricks seem to love the sets so much that I am known for starting arguments on this forum over there being too many. 

Take note: Eurobricks is the only forum where I can't critique City without being looked at as a criminal. No pun intended. 

Lol city has some crappy sets and repetitive themes, lets put it out there.

But Lego makes police sets and the likes because it's always popular with kids. Let's not forget this is a toy company. As long as police stuff sells well, they will continue making them because their target audience are children, not adults (at least not mainly).

However I think a police station in a more adult oriented modular set would be nice for any adult building a city that doesn't want to add a regular "kids" station to their town.

2 hours ago, HereWeGoAgain said:

Lol city has some crappy sets and repetitive themes, lets put it out there.

But Lego makes police sets and the likes because it's always popular with kids. Let's not forget this is a toy company. As long as police stuff sells well, they will continue making them because their target audience are children, not adults (at least not mainly).

However I think a police station in a more adult oriented modular set would be nice for any adult building a city that doesn't want to add a regular "kids" station to their town.

Yeah! It seems like Lego almost exclusively pushes out police, explosives/discovery and great vehicles these days. Along with the occasional side side sets and fire sets. 

Its not that I don't care about children. But there are other jobs that children love and children do get bored of seeing the same thing every year. It doesn't really matter whether the police is in a new environment. Its still the same storyline. Catch the cook off stealing the gold and kick him or her up. We just remembered when City surprised us like from 2006 to 2010. They were still doing well. With the police, great vehicles and explorers system every year, you kinda expect things. Where is the fun in that? 

Now a modular police station, I won't disapprove of because that's something we've never seen before. 

I think some of the city sets should be put in their own lineup. Like the whole space stuff that just came out, it should be its own thing instead of being branded "city".

There's definetely plenty of cool jobs that tend to appeal to kids. I know garbage trucks have always been popular, especially in Lego. They should emphasize on that and offer something like a waste treatment facility.