The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

5 hours ago, bbrousong said:

I heard some news that 10255 will retire at the end of this year too. Is this true? But some people say that retired will be 10243. This is really confusing. I don't know which one to buy. Can you give me some advice?

There is no way to guess which is the next to retire. Both are good possibilities. As a huge and more pricey set, I think Assembly Square will not last very long.

1 hour ago, Chiaroscuro said:

There is no way to guess which is the next to retire. Both are good possibilities. As a huge and more pricey set, I think Assembly Square will not last very long.

I agree for AS. It's been on shelves for awhile, and it takes up shelf space to keep sitting there.

Just now, KotZ said:

I agree for AS. It's been on shelves for awhile, and it takes up shelf space to keep sitting there.

True for any of them, and PR is older. Unless they are retiring both sets, PR is the more likely candidate due to being around longer.

5 hours ago, Darnok said:

True for any of them, and PR is older. Unless they are retiring both sets, PR is the more likely candidate due to being around longer.

PR is the GOAT of the modulars. Not as big as AS but a great price point for an amazing good looking set. And a big seller as well. And Lego knows it, since DO is newer than it and already retired.

Just a heads up that the Post Office MOC is doing the rounds as "this years modular" again. 

One of these days people will Google the set number to double check before posting that it's a new leak. 

This year again, a Police Headquarter would be a good option for this year's modular building...

Although I would also like 2 buildings of 16x32 that can be separated and combined...

7 hours ago, ostman said:

Although I would also like 2 buildings of 16x32 that can be separated and combined...

I’d like to see a bit of green so would love for a 48x32 like assembly square, but only have one building, maybe 16 wide or so, and then a garden or playground on the remaining 32.  Should keep the part count low enough for a standard price point.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:28 PM, Chiaroscuro said:

US$ 199 two days ago.

I am sad I missed this one, $199 is a great price for Assembly Square.  ugh

For those in Switzerland, I just picked up AS for 205CHF (had a 10CHF coupon so got it for 195) at Galaxus. I have a feeling it will be the next to retire.

On 8/28/2019 at 7:54 AM, nikhkin said:

Just a heads up that the Post Office MOC is doing the rounds as "this years modular" again. 

One of these days people will Google the set number to double check before posting that it's a new leak. 

At some stage in probably the next 25 years there will be a Post Office, and that leak will have been right all along! There will be minor problem like a different set number and totally different design, but the idea was right after all. :-)

Still have a wide selection of Civic Bldgs left to choose from; School, Library, Post Office, Hospital, Police Station, etc.  Any one of those would make a great Modular.

Library remains my personal top pick, but I must say designers are missing out on some prime pun potential if the 2020 modular does not feature an optician.

17 hours ago, HereWeGoAgain said:

For those in Switzerland, I just picked up AS for 205CHF (had a 10CHF coupon so got it for 195) at Galaxus. I have a feeling it will be the next to retire.

Thanks for the tip, will order it today!

3 hours ago, Marinho said:

Thanks for the tip, will order it today!

:wink:

Just FYI, if you are in CH you must know Toppreise.ch. They recently redid their website and you can set price alerts very easily now. Spent about 1h setting alerts on almost all sets.

Quite useful to pick sets up for relatively cheap. Of course if you set your buy price too low you might never get a price alert for it, but in case of AS I believe I set it to below 210. You can also see the price history which helps setting a good buy in price.

Edited by HereWeGoAgain

On 8/28/2019 at 10:08 AM, ostman said:

On 8/28/2019 at 5:55 PM, jus1973 said:

I’d like to see a bit of green so would love for a 48x32 like assembly square, but only have one building, maybe 16 wide or so, and then a garden or playground on the remaining 32.  Should keep the part count low enough for a standard price point.

How about a 48x32 with a separatable normal building on the first 16 studs, a small playground / park on the next 16, and then a smaller 1 or 2 storey building on the corner? Or a corner made up of two 16x32 buildings?

On 8/14/2019 at 5:46 AM, Terrasher said:

A little promo preview for the Disney Train on the LEGO Shop (I think, I saw screenshots of it on Instagram) mentions that the train station houses, among other things, a "cafe corner".

Mmmmmmh... Where did I put my tinfoil hat?

The architecture in the Disney station is amazing. I love the colors and all the detail in the roof.

On 8/30/2019 at 8:17 PM, TheBuilder said:

Why are you guys so sure 10255 will retire? All sources say 10243 will be gone this year...

I think they will retire both. I'm in the same boat, I need both of them and don't have money for both. AS had already been in "backorders accepted" status not too long ago (in Lego online store) so I'm probably going for it first. I'm not an expert on how this store works, but for me, it's a sign that they don't have too much stock of it. Walmart sale that was mentioned above lasted literally several hours and was very difficult to catch.

On 8/28/2019 at 10:08 AM, ostman said:

I’d love that too. Would work really well with my display shelving and existing modulars. 

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:08 PM, ostman said:

If they're smaller buildings (e.g. an ice cream shop and ... whatever else Lego thinks is "funny / story-telling" to combine with an ice cream shop), two smaller buildings like the Pet Shop and Townhouse would be good.

But, for anything significant (e.g. school, museum, library, police station, cottage hospital, etc), I'd like it to be a full-sized Modular.

On 9/3/2019 at 10:29 PM, TheL390Man said:

How about a 48x32 with a separatable normal building on the first 16 studs, a small playground / park on the next 16, and then a smaller 1 or 2 storey building on the corner? Or a corner made up of two 16x32 buildings?

That would be good too.  

On 9/4/2019 at 8:16 PM, Agent 86 said:

But, for anything significant (e.g. school, museum, library, police station, cottage hospital, etc), I'd like it to be a full-sized Modular.

Definitely agree.