The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 4/7/2019 at 1:20 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

What'd you think about the Arts & Crafts/Prairie/Frank Lloyd Wright style being adopted by the Modular Building subtheme? Could it work or not? :shrug_confused:

As would both @LegoModularFan and I! :thumbup: :grin: 

Perhaps a Botanical Shop/Greenhouse would be best fitting for that style? :shrug_oh_well:

At this point, I would like to see anything that doesn't continue their new theme... Anything Art Deco, Art Nouveau, Victorian, Gothic... Anything before the end of 60s... Anything like @kofi's beautiful modular! Though of course I'd love to see something vintage, I just love the atmosphere of PR and DO!

46765106114_a856d097ee_c.jpgcc house front by "kofi", on Flickr

Or something unusual and unique like this:

46617643904_495a061ffa_c.jpgComing Home to Santa Fe by Nannan Zhang, on Flickr

Edited by LegoModularFan

On 4/5/2019 at 4:35 PM, jonwil said:

The other thing I want to see LEGO do is the style of architecture often seen on banks or government buildings (courthouses etc) that copies from ancient Greek/Roman buildings (not sure exactly what its called).

Neoclassical/new classical. They did a very very light influence on Brick Bank and moreso on the first floor entrance to Town Hall. Would love to see a more iconic neoclassical building but the style is very monochrome compared to the direction the Modular buildings have been and are going.

On 4/7/2019 at 7:20 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

What'd you think about the Arts & Crafts/Prairie/Frank Lloyd Wright style being adopted by the Modular Building subtheme? Could it work or not? :shrug_confused:

I forget which designer said this, but I believe in an interview a while back one of the modular building designers ( or it might have also been from a discussion about the Sydney Opera House set) mentioned how they had to be cautious when handling certain types of modern architecture. From what I remember they stated highly geometric/clean structures tend to not be as impressive in Lego form, that people tend to like when the pieces are used to create more complicated or unexpected shapes and textures. Brutalism for example most likely wouldn't be ideal for the modular line because of this. As for Prairie style, I personally think that it could work if all the elements are handled very carefully. The typical brickwork parts of the facade could allow for interesting texture-work, and they seem to have great footprints and depth variation. Plus the earthy tones of the buildings fits in perfectly with the lineup. The most challenging part for the designer to get the "wow factor" right would probably be the cubist aesthetic, with all those 90 degree angles, which modular buildings have often liked breaking free from.

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

Neoclassical/new classical. They did a very very light influence on Brick Bank and moreso on the first floor entrance to Town Hall. Would love to see a more iconic neoclassical building but the style is very monochrome compared to the direction the Modular buildings have been and are going.

A library or museum fits that category well. One of the items on my future modular wish list is a courthouse and that would also be a great neoclassical opportunity.

Edited by Overcold

7 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

At this point, I would like to see anything that doesn't continue their new theme... Anything Art Deco, Art Nouveau, Victorian, Gothic... Anything before the end of 60s... Anything like @kofi's beautiful modular! Though of course I'd love to see something vintage, I just love the atmosphere of PR and DO!

Hey, it's great to see you back around here again after awhile @LegoModularFan!!! :sweet:

Yeah, for as much as I appreciate the Downtown Diner for bringing Art Deco representation to the Modular Building line, it's still very much more akin to the Miami Beach variety of Art Deco in its color scheme, something I just don't have as much inclination towards due to its lack of more earthy, rustic elegance. 

P.S. For his first time trying his hand at Modulars, @kofi's CC House is just too gorgeously stunning... :thumbup: :oh:

2 hours ago, Overcold said:

As for Prairie style, I personally think that it could work if all the elements are handled very carefully. The typical brickwork parts of the facade could allow for interesting texture-work, and they seem to have great footprints and depth variation. Plus the earthy tones of the buildings fits in perfectly with the lineup.

Alternatively, while the Prairie/FLW style does seem better suited for public/commercial buildings, I think it'd be kinda cool if they could somehow force the American Craftsman look into a Modular Building, as it's historically a style typically reserved for residential constructions instead. :shrug_oh_well:

I definitely think Googie/Raygun Gothic would fit well in LEGO (modular or otherwise). Lots of curves and angles, bright colors, lights and signs and details. Plus its got that "space age" look from things like The Jetsons.

I do see that Brutalist wouldn't work so well in a modular building (although an Architecture representation of the AT&T long lines building might be interesting...)

I just want something with interesting architecture and a good size. Corner garage was close to this due to the great first floor design and finally going back to a larger building size, but the façade on the second and third floors  was just not interesting enough for me. A bit too basic and "CITY".  And it was kinda small. They've gone away from  intricate, unique facades lately and I don't like it. 

Edited by chezzymann

11 minutes ago, chezzymann said:

I just want something with interesting architecture and a good size. Corner garage was close to this due to the great first floor design and finally going back to a larger building size, but the façade on the second and third floors  was just not interesting enough for me. A bit too basic and "CITY".  And it was kinda small. They've gone away from  intricate, unique facades lately and I don't like it. 

I fail to see what's "CITY" about the Corner Garage facade. City buildings mostly tend to be built studs up, with an emphasis on a simple, sturdy structure over any kind of textured relief—you rarely see things like SNOT window frames or tiled detailing. If anything, the plainer facades of older buildings like the Green Grocer, Grand Emporium, or Town Hall have more in common with City builds or architecture than the Corner Garage,

17 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I fail to see what's "CITY" about the Corner Garage facade. City buildings mostly tend to be built studs up, with an emphasis on a simple, sturdy structure over any kind of textured relief—you rarely see things like SNOT window frames or tiled detailing. If anything, the plainer facades of older buildings like the Green Grocer, Grand Emporium, or Town Hall have more in common with City builds or architecture than the Corner Garage,

I'm more talking about overall appearance than build complexity. Town Hall does look very City (and so does fire brigade), but but grand emporium and green grocer have a certain realism and believability in their design that isn't there with corner garage. For all the cool techniques they used to make the façade, it still looks a bit vanilla and bland in comparison to older modulars.Theres not an interesting visual hook to it in my opinion outside of the angled wall. 

Edited by chezzymann

18 hours ago, jonwil said:

I definitely think Googie/Raygun Gothic would fit well in LEGO (modular or otherwise). Lots of curves and angles, bright colors, lights and signs and details. Plus its got that "space age" look from things like The Jetsons.

I think it'd work quite nicely for an Automobile Showroom, perhaps fit into the modular format with apartment/office spaces on the second and third floors. :shrug_oh_well:

2 hours ago, chezzymann said:

I'm more talking about overall appearance than build complexity. Town Hall does look very City (and so does fire brigade), but but grand emporium and green grocer have a certain realism and believability in their design that isn't there with corner garage. For all the cool techniques they used to make the façade, it still looks a bit vanilla and bland in comparison to older modulars.Theres not an interesting visual hook to it in my opinion outside of the angled wall. 

Even then, I'd personally disagree. Maybe it's just a matter of the kinds of architecture I'm familiar with in real life, but the decorative brickwork of the Corner Garage (provided by the SNOT quarter circle tiles) feels a lot more interesting and realistic than the fairly vanilla siding, blocky arches, and sloped roofs of the Green Grocer. In general the heavy use of SNOT allows for a greater variety of detail (including a range of relief from subtle to pronounced) that more calls to mind standouts among the modulars like the Fire Brigade, Parisian Restaurant, and Detectives Office, rather than the bolder and more simplified visual style of the City theme.

On 3/22/2019 at 8:29 AM, BrickBuilder1 said:

Same! I was so glad I did too, because I needed another corner building for my city.

We got lucky. :wink:

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I think it'd work quite nicely for an Automobile Showroom, perhaps fit into the modular format with apartment/office spaces on the second and third floors. :shrug_oh_well:

I think Googie/Raygun Gothic would be perfect for a bowling alley. Or a hotel/motel. Or a hamburger joint/drive in restaurant (we just got the Downtown Diner so that probably wont happen)

And I do agree neoclassical would fit very well for a museum or a library (the famous New York Public Library is exactly the sort of style I was thinking of when I thought about buildings that copy the ancient Greek/Roman style, that and the equally famous New York Stock Exchange down on Wall St)

Edited by jonwil

On 1/30/2019 at 9:30 PM, SFmuscle73 said:

Am I the only one that thinks that the days of a single purpose building are a thing of the past?  I guess we’ll never see a hospital, police station, court house or museum.  I for one could use a break of the multi purpose trend. LEGO do you hear me?

I’m 100 % with you ! Hospital, school : those sound universal as a theme and allow for nice diversity on each floor. I’m still dreaming ! And as someone wrote before, some kind of pitched roof for a change would be much appreciated. I’d like also to see new colors: light yellow, dark red, white and why not, some purple accents. Even though I love every single modular building I bought, I admit I’m longing for some classical building à la PR. With new building techniques as we’ve seen from newer sets like DD, that would be awesome ...

Edited by Hippocampe

On 3/31/2019 at 8:41 AM, Jerry McGlade said:

@Digger of Bricks 

photos? or links

On 4/1/2019 at 10:24 AM, RogerSmith said:

Thanks for the heads-up.

Looks like a step back in the right direction, but I'm not sold yet. Of course it's hard to tell from such a small, pixelated image, but it seems a bit cluttered.  And it may use too many different colors to be of real use as a parts pack, unlike most of the old 3-in-1 townhouses

(I count at least four main colors for the exterior walls - tan, dark red/reddish brown (?), medium nougat and what I fear is medium azure or something horrible like that. Could be medium blue, though)

The Brick Fan - LEGO Creator Summer 2019 Official Set Images

LEGO Creator Townhouse and Pet Store (31097)

2 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I have to say, I think I'm probably more exited for this this set than I was about the Corner Garage.

Wow, I didn't know the new LEGO releases were making so many people walk out and leave the building! (Sorry, couldn't resist)

I honestly do not understand all the hate/dislike toward Corner Garage. Its a great set with a lot of neat features.

That Creator 3 in 1 modular looks like my favorite design in that series. It has a good sense of playfulness while maintaining a good level of detail packed into a coherent design. I'm sure I'd be excited about it too if I hadn't stopped collecting 3 in 1 sets, but that's a discussion for a later time elsewhere.

Meanwhile, on the topic of the Corner Garage, previously I have showered it with praise but I haven't really discussed my thoughts on the criticisms others have had. I can see why people are not as impressed or just don't like it. My opinions have not been swayed, I still proudly enjoy it, though I respect the opinions of those who were left wanting more/something different. Generally, I have seen that to some the facade is comparable to a City set, which I can see. The upper floors rely on the depth of inset windows or an extrusion of a bay window for the main texture, not including the sculptural parts between the floors. The orange bits don't have grooves like the facade of the Pet Shop, or brickwork like the Fire Brigade or Detectives Office. However, it still looks great to me because of the context they're in. The building has huge windows on the front, and the orange bits frame them quite nicely while adding a strong sense of verticality to the design. They're only 1 brick wide each, before being inset. Like the barbershop, or the bits of the Townhouse that do not have the occasional jutting out brick, the lack of texture makes it easy on the eye and, in the case of the CG, accentuate the windows. It doesn't feel cluttered, and the depth still adds good detail with the shadow lines.

The asymmetry of how the gas station aligned to the building was another concern I noticed. I get the criticism, but to me I prefer it not only being aligned to the corner of the sidewalk, I also love the asymmetry of the building. There were also some that preferred the height of the canopy to align with the top of the bottom floor. I'm indifferent to this, but It's still really nice to see people changing the set to fit in the town how they want it to.

Another one to address is the concern of the veterinarian office over the garage. And yeah, I have to agree with this one. Although I love the juxtaposition of Jo fixing mechanical cars and Jones fixing biological pets above, it is an odd combination. I get that the modulars have always been in this timeless limbo and never took themselves too seriously (like the chef hat in the Fire Brigade or the cookie smuggling), but the layout does raise some concerns over the well being of the pets that could dampen the world building.

The lack of tiles is a common disappointment I've seen many share. Even though a tiled version of the interior would look very good, I still agree with the designers decision to show the tan base-plate for the flooring, the tiles would make it seem too clean for me. We have been spoiled with beautiful tile work in the last several sets, but the un-tiled floor still has an occasional place in the series and to me this is one of them. The base-plate could have maybe been dark gray and still worked, though I do like the warmth the tan adds to the interior. At least one person mentioned where the floor meets the diagonal wall on the first floor could be cleaned up with triangle tiles, and I agree with that too.

Some feel that the interior is too sparse, well except I think we can all agree that Dr.Jones office is very well furnished. The upper floor apartment is furnished perfectly in my opinion, even that open area is a plus for me for 3 reasons: -It actually isn't that much empty space. -Sweater Guy needs a place other than his bed to play with his model truck, -It's a good place to give the dog room to roll around, beg for food, maybe run around a bit. I feel like the space in the apartment was well respected. The bathroom door probably shouldn't have had a window on it, and the panel makes it sadly obvious that it is an exterior door. Once they release an interior door in that color I'll just modify it. As for the bottom floor, I like the amount of detail. I agree that it would have made the set better if there had been one of those boards on the wall with various tools hung, since it's a classic detail and the bottom floor could utilize the wall space. It doesn't take away much from the set for me, since that red tool cart does a good enough job at adding clutter and it's so amazing looking. The roof terrace could have done with a little table too, but it's only a minor complaint for me.

The only complaint I've seen about the play features is the idea that the car lift does not lift high enough off the ground (and that it bumps the cars around). I've seen lifts that lift that amount relative to a mini-figure, though to be fair in real life there are ones that lift up further and people may be more familiar with those. In my gushing review in the Corner Garage topic back in January I did mention that the lift can be a little clunky due to the method it is attached and how the weight of a car pushes down on it. It's a legitimate concern and I can see how it leaves people unsatisfied. It is possible to get it to run smoothly without jostling the car around, but it's delicate and requires a patient ease on the mechanism. I'm happy with it despite this, and find myself fiddling around with both this and the garage door whenever I get the chance to play with it.

I'll leave it at this for now. I originally planned on this post being twice as long and covering more design concerns, but I've been typing for an hour straight and I'm sure that if you've read this you need to rest your eyes after I've bombarded them with this long winded post. If a common concern wasn't addressed here, I likely skipped it to get to what I felt were the most important ones. :classic:

7 hours ago, fordtruckin said:

I honestly do not understand all the hate/dislike toward Corner Garage. Its a great set with a lot of neat features.

Same, I have it on my shelf in the living room and I just havent been in a rush to put it into my layout. I'm even tempted to put Brick Bank up with it as an opposite corner. CG may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's a lovely set. I enjoyed the build and new techniques, and I like looking at it. 

On 4/23/2019 at 8:22 AM, Bricked1980 said:

I have to say, I think I'm probably more exited for this this set than I was about the Corner Garage.

On 4/23/2019 at 6:04 PM, Overcold said:

That Creator 3 in 1 modular looks like my favorite design in that series. It has a good sense of playfulness while maintaining a good level of detail packed into a coherent design. I'm sure I'd be excited about it too if I hadn't stopped collecting 3 in 1 sets, but that's a discussion for a later time elsewhere.

Looks like its second alternate build is essentially a HALF-WIDTH MODULAR (last image within embedded IG post)... :oh:

13 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Looks like its second alternate build is essentially a HALF-WIDTH MODULAR (last image within embedded IG post)... :oh:

Not quite half width for the Creator Expert standards… still just 12 studs wide instead of 16 studs.

The 2017/2018 line of "modular" 3-in-1's were 8x16, and 8x8 for half-size or exterior plates.

This Townhouse is at the 8x12 scale for the structures on a 12x12 base, Main build being 24x24 with sidewalks. Bank being 12 wide as well, makes sense since the main plates used in the set are 6x12.

Of course it looks like you can still re-arrange the main Townhouse to be side-by-side 24 wide, or 36 adding the corner sidewalk as well. So that'd be 12x36 at ground level, with a ~8x24 structure.

The 2 buildings at the Donut Shop opening , and the Hidden Side Diner (main structure) are built on 8x16 base.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 4/23/2019 at 3:41 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Looks a lot better in this picture. The blue might be medium blue, after all :classic:.

I still find it a tad too colorful, but I already see some bits that might just convince me to get two or three - all-white parrots!, 3 or 4 of the large window panel pieces or the ornate fence in white, to name  a few

Maybe. It's sometimes odd, I think, how some new stuff gets used early in just a single set before a wider use in several sets months later: The teal color returned with the Diner before being used mostly in Elves sets; Coral didn't get the same Modular treatment, but was used in the TLM2 party bus (and a CMF) before the upcoming summer Friends sets. But the Garage hat that new turntable base before any other set. Now this new 3-wide window only in the HP bus and no other set as far as I could see in the available images... so yeah, maybe it will be in wider use in early 2020.