The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I didn't expect LEGO to increase the part count of the modular building sets. I thought Assemly Square would be a jubily exception.

I'm curious to see the result and the size of it. Probably it will cover more extra builds like vehicles this time, but it also means less limits for the designers in the future.

Expensive hobby! :sweet:

Ooh, more info, how exciting! 

I'd be happy to see another 48x32 modular, as it will make an even block possible, however, I feel like it will detract slightly from the specialness of AS being the 10th Anniversary "super modular",  and of course the bigger price tag that goes with a bigger set...

Seems like this Garage rumour is getting some traction, can't wait to see what it is! I've got high hopes, there's a lot of potential with a garage, it should be interesting what architectural style it uses! No matter what, it'll definitely spice things up on the street a bit! I'm guessing that a substantial portion of the baseplate will be used for a drivethrough, hence the bigger footprint.

Exciting times! Two days and we should know all!

48 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

I’ve been told it’s a mixed-use corner building with a body shop/service station type garage on the bottom and 1 or 2 other establishments above. Someone here mentioned a vet which might be the case, but I would guess an apartment since there wasn’t one in DD.

That might be cool. Who told you that?

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

I’ve been told it’s a mixed-use corner building with a body shop/service station type garage on the bottom and 1 or 2 other establishments above. Someone here mentioned a vet which might be the case, but I would guess an apartment since there wasn’t one in DD.

Any or all of this could be wrong. 

*If* one of the upstairs sections is a vet, that could be cool. I was planning on removing the upstairs apartment from my Pet Shop and putting a vet shop in there with cages and a surgery table, just so I could get more animals into it. (And the apartment—particularly the attic bedroom) isn’t excellent, IMO. 

I wonder why builders, AFOLs, who don’t get the official set that they are clamouring for don’t just build their own version of it, or shell out ten or fifteen to the numerous builders who offer building instructions for post offices, police stations, museums, and the like. There can be tons of fun in customizing one’s own LEGO town or street.

- f

18 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

That might be cool. Who told you that?

Sorry, but I’m not going to out leakers. 

I REALLY hope we stick to the normal 2500 pieces...assembly square was suppose to be a special case because of the anniversary of the line.

10 minutes ago, just_one said:

I REALLY hope we stick to the normal 2500 pieces...assembly square was suppose to be a special case because of the anniversary of the line.

I REALLY don’t hope because if the price of the upcoming modular is really higher, that would mean modulars with higher prices for the same amount of pieces... 

Edited by LegoModularFan

Will be sharing some of the greatest Garage/Gas Station MOCs until the reveal of the new modular...

Art Déco Gas Station by @Norton74

37581534652_2010fc0bae_h.jpgArt Déco Gas Station by Norton74, on Flickr

General Store by @cesbrick

40141112725_6cee2727d6_c.jpgGeneral Store by César Soares, on Flickr

Le garage by @brickbink

30106435425_8a2977b19a_k.jpgle garage by brickbink, on Flickr

I'll share more builds tomorrow... :wink:

Edited by LegoModularFan

4 hours ago, Jerry McGlade said:

Good news everybody! I saw on instagram that their is going to be a new modular being introduced. 

Where did you see that?

9 hours ago, The_Nev said:

Woah. Let's simmer down, eh?

The point I was trying to get at earlier was that the Creator Expert modular line and the City theme are tagetted at different audiences and serve different purposes, each is a world into their own. While City sets are maily playsets targeted at children, the modulars are mainly dislplay sets targeted at adult collectors. Sure, there is overlap, but that's where the bulk of the market is for each of them. They're both tailored to two different markets, and that's why I don't see why they would clash. But anyway.

In response to an earlier reply to my comment about banks inn the City line, I was under the impression that there's been a few, I have one in my city from 2011ish, and I remember seeing a different one on the shelves a few years after that. They may be the only ones ever done, and if so, I apologise for being wrong. I thought that there were others as well.

Actually while they technically target different audiences, some "sameness" allows for "crossover customers" which is how Lego hooks AFOL's. The Fire Brigade was fantastic for that. It was a gorgeous Fire House with a nice playable fire engine that attracted the eyes and hands of kids as well as adults and found itself on a lot of wish/want lists. It prompted the City builders to move up to the Modulars. There has not really been a comparable building since. A Mechanics Garage or Police Station would have the needed hook to do it. They allow for both the AFOl detail and the kid play, without it feeling forced the way that it does in DO and BB. 

There have been a number of Bank's in the City line. But oddly they are more prone to show up in the Super Heroes sets. Which often get confused with City. There have been several Batman Banks and at least one Spider-Man. The Lego club Magazine a few years back had a great ad featuring one of the Batman banks enlarged and expanded as a Modular that included Clark Kents apartment. It was gorgeous. 

8 hours ago, JopieK said:

Here is my interpretation of a police station, I have built it over the summer holidays. Hopefully it will bring some positive attitude to this topic again :)

31190176757_1fbb722894_b.jpg

The police shares their garage with the adjacent hospital that also uses the upper floor for their neonatal care unit ;)

That's a gorgeous MOC/Mod (I assume it is a FB rework?) Although shouldn't the lanterns on the sides of the door be blue? I thought that was the classic British symbol for Police Station? 

3 hours ago, TheLegomane said:

So it looks like Lego is about to achieve what it never did before: keeping the modular secret until the presentation

They kept that actual design/contents of Assembly Square secret until the end. The name leaked but gave no clues to what it was. Also I think the Downtown Diner was kept pretty tightly under wraps. 

9 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Moving on...

Given the price of this modular, it’s safe to say there will be several hundred more pieces than the DD. So I would guess it includes multiple vehicles (tow truck plus a car or two?) or a taller/more complex build. 

Just using some reasoned speculation, if we assume that it is a Garage as rumored, that it is a multi role building, and that it is a corner, we can come up with a few guesses as to how it will look.

1. If it is a standard 32x32 Modular it will look something like Brick Bank in terms of Profile and overall layout. The Garage will mean it needs an elevated or extra height ground floor so it will most likely be 2 floors like BB and FB, but tall floors. The Garage would probably be off center towards the baseplate edge on whichever facing it is on. The opposite edge will probably be another business or the stairs up. With some sort of office business above. Given the piece count there might be a third floor. If so likely an apartment. It will likely have 2 vehicles. A period Tow Truck and a car to be repaired. Figure it will have a nice workbench/tool rack, a lift, some parts and tires around etc. And a small sales/business office. 

2. If the other rumor is correct and it has a 3000+ piece count it may be a 32x48 corner. This would balance out the block with AS. But somewhat limit peoples layout geometry. As the corner would be forced on one side. At 3000 ish parts it is likely that it would not be as big as AS. So likely not as tall.  

3. If mixed use and a 32x48, it may be something like a corner single story service station (with elaborate Art Deco stylings above) with a 32x16 Pet Shop style building that can be positioned on either side. 

8 hours ago, Drunknok said:

I would be happy with a police station - it would make perfect sense for the Modular line. I think that the WV Firestation is an excellent starting point for a small Modular already, so I see no need for another fire station (and there is the Fire Brigade, so...).

Some garage style building would be not so great in my opinion. If I remember correctly, there are only two cars over all Modulars so far. So what does this line need a mechanics garage for?

But we will see on Monday. I am confident that the new Modular will not disappoint, no matter what it turns out to be. :classic:

There are three vehicles and 1 Vespa in the Modulars so far. Everybody always forgets the Fire Truck. Also the Winter Village and Seasonal Set vehicles, such as the pickup trucks and snow plow, blend well with the Modulars stylings. 

1 minute ago, Jerry McGlade said:

I saw it on instagram from a reliable source (I forgot which one:wall:) sorry for not remembering.

What the new modular?

I saw it on instagram from a reliable source (I forgot which one:wall:) sorry for not remembering.

4 hours ago, just_one said:

What the new modular?

yeah

4 hours ago, Hippocampe said:

What was it ? Which colour ? How many floors ?

do not know the account said that it will be shown soon the rest is uncertain.

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

A picture or just a description? :shrug_confused:

I do not know sorry. All I know is that the lego community will know something soon.

So did you see it or what? You can't just leave us hanging like this, we need details! :D