The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

22 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

A modular Police Station surely would be a special building as well, and not comparable to the playsets in the City line.

Fire Brigade was the first big seller of the modular line, the first to get multiple production runs. So far, only Pet Shop and maybe Parisian Restaurant are likely to have surpassed it.

Oh, and not to be nitpicky, but Brick Bank didn't feature an apartment at all, and DO had a toilet and a kitchen, which doesn't exactly qualify as an apartment, too.

Two words: Fire Brigade.

They also regularly release a fire station and fire trucks in the City line. Yet Fire Brigade became the best selling modular, and propably the one that 'made' the entire line, as in it brought the most fans to it. And it didn't hurt City sales at all.

And...

Yes! Exactly!

The modular line isn't aimed primarily at kids, and the City line isn't primarily aimed at adults. Thus there is little chance of one cannibalizing the other - the vast majority of City sets is bought by or for kids. The vast majority of modulars is bought by adults. The few AFOLs that buy City sets for themselves are a small minority - and Lego would actully shoot themselves in the foot if they passed up the chance to sell them a 150€ set instead of a 100€ set. Same goes for the few parents who buy modulars for their kids (and just for them, without any interest in them themselves).

Sorry to say this, but it seems like you don't like the idea of a modular Police Station at all (which is fine, everybody's got their own opinion) but are just trying to justify that.

Oh yeah:

Looking at some of Lego's business decisions, I highly doubt that common sense plays much of a role there :laugh::wink:

Sorry to say this but, you're not sorry at all, and also you are picky AF.  So from what I got from that reply was you like to talk and build up your ego.

You know nothing. *winky face*

Edited by ncx

Guys keep it chill, we are all just trying to guess how Lego thinks based on our own ideas and their previous decisions, there really isn't any standpoint here that is objectively better than the other so no reason to get annoyed. Both your arguments come from different perspectives and though I tend to agree with ncx's ideas more, either of you make decent points and may be correct. 

The problem i guess with a Modular Police Station is that the expectations are hard to meet for TLC.
We've seen many of them now, some of them could do really well as a set. 

So why should we expect TLC to come up with one?

Just now, Jasper Joppe Geers said:

The problem i guess with a Modular Police Station is that the expectations are hard to meet for TLC.

exactly, I just can't see parents shelling out the $169.99 USD for a set to complete a theme that is missing a Police Station because Lego does NOT release similar sets to the other in the same release year. Why do you guys think they retire similar sets before releasing new ones?  Commonsense does play a role here to figure out how things work when it comes to business. It makes no sense to have a $170 police station, and a $89.99 police station in the City line at the same time (which would be inevitable since Modulars last around 4 years where City sets last 1-2years and Police & Fire alternate every other year.  and the theme for 2019 is Fire anyway

Jasper Joppe Geers, not responding directly to you for that entire response but rather, to this thread over all.

5 hours ago, Faefrost said:

19th+precinct2.jpg

I mean have you ever seen a building more made for (or from) Lego? 

That’s lovely! I’d be very happy with a Modular Police Station which resembled this real world building.

28 minutes ago, ncx said:

Sorry to say this but, you're not sorry at all, and also you are picky AF.  So from what I got from that reply was you like to talk and build up your ego.

Please check your attitude. Your comments are becoming increasingly hostile to others here. There is no reason to insult other members of this community for expressing opinions that differ from yours. 

Edited by jdubbs
Typo

42 minutes ago, ncx said:

If you say so, Ygritte :classic:

I pointed out that the points you use to argument against a Police Station can just as well be used to argument for one.

No reason to get your panties in a wad over that.

30 minutes ago, Jasper Joppe Geers said:

Why shouldn't we? Why wouldn't they?

There've also been hundreds of MOCs of restaurants and cafés, and yet we get one in the modular line every few years.

Edited by RogerSmith

Just now, RogerSmith said:

If you say so, Ygritte :classic:

No reason to get your panties in a wad over that.

Excuse me? I take offense to that.

The idea that Lego wouldn't do a modular police station because there is a city one is cobblers. They serve two completely different markets. Jamie said that the main block on a modular police station is that there are so many great MOCs around that the comparisons would be endless (i.e. if they do a modular police station, it would have to be spectacularly good).

Now, we mustn't have that Manhattan police station getting all the glory. Here is Great Scotland Yard:

15685303356_c8aa5378ab_z.jpg

@ncx You can argue with facts, but please refrain from working with personal insults. (It looks like you deleted the quoted phrase mentioned above. Why?) :hmpf_bad:

If you don't get it, I have a room for you where I can explain it in detail :devil:, but all in all I rely on your understanding that we all want a fair and friendly discussion.

That aside, I don't understand anything you have said about a modular police station. Others have already stated: Fire Brigade is the best example that all your thoughts and explanations are simply wrong and TLC DID decide different in the past.

Sorry! :def_shrug:

12 minutes ago, ncx said:

Excuse me? I take offense to that.

Sorry, thought you were alluding to the famous quote from Game of Thrones, so I built up on that. :shrug_confused:

I mean, come'on, we're discussing what we want or don't want from our favorite toy company. Might as well have some fun doing that. :classic:

Moving on...

Given the price of this modular, it’s safe to say there will be several hundred more pieces than the DD. So I would guess it includes multiple vehicles (tow truck plus a car or two?) or a taller/more complex build. 

6 hours ago, Faefrost said:

I still think this would be my favorite subject for a Modular Police Precinct House. Yeah they do City Police Stations every year, but the Moduilar's let them do something special. There is no comparison between the annual City Fire Station and the FB after all. But anyway this is the NYPD 19th Precinct in Manhattan. Built in 1887. I know we have been getting a ton of US style buildings in recent times, but I still don't think you could find a more perfect subject for a Lego Modular.

I mean have you ever seen a building more made for (or from) Lego? 

I've seen pics of this Police station before and I'm with you on this in thinking this would be an ideal building to base a Lego Modular on. :thumbup:

11 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Moving on...

Given the price of this modular, it’s safe to say there will be several hundred more pieces than the DD. So I would guess it includes multiple vehicles (tow truck plus a car or two?) or a taller/more complex build. 

Has the price been leaked/announced? ? 

Woah. Let's simmer down, eh?

The point I was trying to get at earlier was that the Creator Expert modular line and the City theme are tagetted at different audiences and serve different purposes, each is a world into their own. While City sets are maily playsets targeted at children, the modulars are mainly dislplay sets targeted at adult collectors. Sure, there is overlap, but that's where the bulk of the market is for each of them. They're both tailored to two different markets, and that's why I don't see why they would clash. But anyway.

In response to an earlier reply to my comment about banks inn the City line, I was under the impression that there's been a few, I have one in my city from 2011ish, and I remember seeing a different one on the shelves a few years after that. They may be the only ones ever done, and if so, I apologise for being wrong. I thought that there were others as well.

55 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Moving on...

We know the price now?

On 9/12/2018 at 12:16 AM, ddavid said:

If those numbers from Amazon are true:

10264 - 6,56 kg - 58,2 x 9,1 x 48 cm

10265 - 3,93 kg - 48 x 11,8 x 28,2 cm

than one these sets will be bigger than AS (4,6 kg; 7,7 x 48 x 58,3 cm)

According to Amazon "normal sized" modulars weigh appr. 2,8 kg

meaning we could expect sets with around 5,500 pieces and 3,500 pieces.

Thanks @TheLegomane for the news!

And the modular building usually gets the first creator expert set number in each year, but 5,700 pieces seem too high. 3,500 for a 3 storey corner building are more reasonable. My guess would be that the first set is some kind of landmark or sth.

These were briefly published on Amazon FR, so definitely not fake, but could be a mistake. Though it does happen on occasion that Amazon lists details early. It brings a new perspective to the garage modular, as with 6,5kg of pieces, there would be a lot of bricks for several cars and a larger footprint.

Here is my interpretation of a police station, I have built it over the summer holidays. Hopefully it will bring some positive attitude to this topic again :)

31190176757_1fbb722894_b.jpg

The police shares their garage with the adjacent hospital that also uses the upper floor for their neonatal care unit ;)

20 minutes ago, Huaojozu said:

We know the price now?

Sorry, I thought the pricing became public when the set identity did. I don’t know that I’m allowed to repeat it, but if you read my above comment then you should have a rough idea. Suffice to say it’s more than the typical $10 annual bump, from what I’ve heard.  

Just now, jdubbs said:

Sorry, I thought the pricing became public when the set identity did. I don’t know that I’m allowed to repeat it, but if you read my above comment then you should have a rough idea. Suffice to say it’s more than the typical $10 annual bump, from what I’ve heard.  

Fair enough, that's cool then. I'm not too thrilled about paying more for extra car(s) I don't really want, but at least the modular itself will retain enough pieces.

10 minutes ago, Huaojozu said:

These were briefly published on Amazon FR, so definitely not fake, but could be a mistake. Though it does happen on occasion that Amazon lists details early. It brings a new perspective to the garage modular, as with 6,5kg of pieces, there would be a lot of bricks for several cars and a larger footprint.

I’m in the process of dismantling all my modulars etc and can confirm that the shipping weights are way over the actual weight of the bricks. I’m gonna guess that the 3.9 kilo is more realistic. My DD comes in at a fair bit below 3 kg excluding instruction book. Take into account box and I’m guessing that makes the difference. 

The 6 kg might be another landmark building in the Big Ben and tower bridge range. 

I would be happy with a police station - it would make perfect sense for the Modular line. I think that the WV Firestation is an excellent starting point for a small Modular already, so I see no need for another fire station (and there is the Fire Brigade, so...).

Some garage style building would be not so great in my opinion. If I remember correctly, there are only two cars over all Modulars so far. So what does this line need a mechanics garage for?

But we will see on Monday. I am confident that the new Modular will not disappoint, no matter what it turns out to be. :classic:

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

Moving on...

25 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

So with the DD having 2480 pieces which included a car and adding several hundred more in the new Modular, this could push it into the 3000 piece range which we havn't had from a Mod building before, apart from the 48 wide Assembly Square at 4002 pieces. So as you say maybe 3 vehicles (for a garage) or a more complex layout (Police Station).

Good to see we are back onto the speculation again, whatever each of us would prefer to see built! :sweet:

I’m quite keen to see a car repair garage actually. I think it has the capacity to have a really interesting interior with some well designed features. 

In the end, most of us just display them, not play as it were so it’s got to appeal visually first, right?

12 minutes ago, scottwb2010 said:

So with the DD having 2480 pieces which included a car and adding several hundred more in the new Modular, this could push it into the 3000 piece range which we havn't had from a Mod building before, apart from the 48 wide Assembly Square at 4002 pieces. So as you say maybe 3 vehicles (for a garage) or a more complex layout (Police Station).

Good to see we are back onto the speculation again, whatever each of us would prefer to see built! :sweet:

To clarify, I’ve been told a price, not a piece count... I extrapolated that comment about several hundred more pieces based on past modulars. 

I’m not sure where the police station idea is coming from or why it keeps coming up. Probably because a post office, police station, and train station appear on wishlists every year, despite them all being problematic in one way or another. I’ve been told it’s a mixed-use corner building with a body shop/service station type garage on the bottom and 1 or 2 other establishments above. Someone here mentioned a vet which might be the case, but I would guess an apartment since there wasn’t one in DD.

Any or all of this could be wrong.