The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Hi all, first post from me...

For quite a few years, I’ve wondered why LEGO releases SO MANY sets on January 1st, midnight. Their online store crashes out and overloads and it seems like a big headache for them and for buyers. I know they release plenty of products throughout the year...but it would make sense to me that they begin releasing more in stages, even having some releases on Jan 1, some on Feb 1, etc. 

Is it possible — gasp! — that the 2019 modular might be released in February or later and may appear on a future store calendar instead of January’s? That may also account for a portion of the continued delay in leaks the last two years. I mean, yeah, IP protection is also a big reason. But maybe the boxes aren’t even printed yet if the 2019 modular isn’t hitting the Lego Store until later in 2019. 

- f

Edited by Factioneer

I wouldn't be surprised if it was left out on purpose, I don't see why they would cancel the modular line the fact they carried it over to TLNM for two large sets that are very popular just shows it's a system people like. For all we know they could switch things up and release it in the spring, If TLM2 D2C is a modular Apocalypseburg that releases early 2019 then that could be the reasoning. 

Cafe Corner came out in April. Fire Brigade was September. Grand Emporium, Town Hall, and Palace Cinema, March. Pet Shop, May. So I know we've had a lot of successive January releases lately, but there's also plenty of precedent for it not to be January. Just saying.n

2 hours ago, chezzymann said:

Yeah, this move would line up with lego increasingly trying to keep knockoffs from releasing stuff before lego can even get the original on shelves. 

True. And Monday isnjust a few short days away. Soon enough.

The line isn't cancelled, we just had a Lego Ambassador say that it was going to be revealed on Dec. 3.     Relax, everyone.     

With respect to vehicles- I think they can add a lot to a set.    It is the synthesis of fixed and moving elements that creates an aesthetically pleasing display.   The cars create action points to display the minifigures around.   

I'm guessing many dislike the DD car because it's pink, despite Elvis (who was homages in the set) actually owning a pink Cadillac sedan.   The pink Cadillac is also a symbol of American car culture, which reached its apex in the 1950s, for which DD represents.  To the youth of the 1950s, the car is both a literal vehicle, but also a metaphorical one for freedom, adventure, and romance, and both Aretha Franklin and Bruce Springsteen wrote songs about these themes and used pink Cadillacs as a metaphor.

Modular has never been terribly consistent in its setting with respect to time or place, and it probably won't be here.   

3 hours ago, Mosse1997 said:

It would be interesting to see a inverted corner garage. because of the need for space to turn around in the garage I suggest a it to be on a 48x32 or 64x32 baseplate. (or 2 32x32 to be correct)

I visualize it as one 32x32 actual garage in the corner, no need for fancy walls, maybe some windows on the backside (or open gaps, to reduce the number of pieces). And on the other 32x32 baseplate there is an entrance carport, staircase and maybe something else.

I am not yet a MOC:er, som I have no building to complete a whole block because of the 48-wide AS. So I wish for a completing sized modular.:P

Hi @Mosse1997, I really like the idea! Would solve both issues, footprint/Modular height/size/Parking space and the parts used for the cars.. Unfortunately, not sure they would do so, as you would not see the "behind the scenes with the cars" in most modular layouts.

But I really like that kind of thinking, thanks for the inspiration!

Perhaps the garage wasn’t really a car garage. After releasing a last year modular with a vehicle in it, I doubt they would do one with another vehicle so soon. My guess is it might probably be a music garage or something if that list is true. 

Edited by darkhorse00

11 hours ago, ncx said:

They didn't explicitly tell "everyone about it last year during The Lego House event launching the DD"

The designer vid only said the Diner started out as a car dealership and that he liked cars from that era. He also said he was obsessed with angles and math as well as Art Deco styling that he used on his Diner design.

There was absolutely no mention of garages at all. He also said "We don't have a Hotel yet, do we? Ooops" (Cafe Corner was technically just a Cafe with a Hotel sign, but it was not a hotel)

Also, the internal document I still find credible because of the spelling error. Placeholder documents that are not final tend to have these grammatical errors. I've seen it in my 10+ years working in retail.

Hello @ncx, can't we be a bit more relaxed.. I am open to any opinion, but c'mon, @jonahtron has a fair point too.

Anyhow, being it a garage (I hope but  I doubt..), I agree to the fact that a different designer for each modular would be great. I know some people disliked the Town Hall, but it brought diversity.

No modular will please everyone (except PR and CC and GG, joking of course), so the most diverse ideas, the most disruptive designs, the more brains working on it.. will lead to a better lifespan of the line..

And if any doubt, yes TLG is listening to their consumers, that's a given, so I would not worry too much about the next one :wink:

Why would anyone think that the line isn't continuing next year when Lego have announced an official reveal date? 

25 minutes ago, The_Nev said:

Why would anyone think that the line isn't continuing next year when Lego have announced an official reveal date? 

Because people are pedantic, and the lack of a solid leak is making everyone anxious and illogical... either that, or they missed the 3rd December announcement. 

Really looking forward to Monday! 

19 hours ago, ncx said:

The main reason we don't want a Police Station is because they make one every 2 years, same goes for the Fire Station... the Modular line is what little we AFOL's can appreciate design techniques and real architectural designs from. I'd rather see a unique building rather than an already used theme...  I'm sure alot of people feel the same about people wanting Lego to bring back the Green Grocer or Cafe Corner too so no one wins, unique building is what everyone can agree on atleast...
The only way I can see a Police Station working is if its like the Town Hall, but the problem with having it as a modular is, where do the Police Cars park? where are the cell blocks? the only police stations that are still like this, especially in America, are in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles as far as I know.

example below:

stock-photo-old-police-station-in-downto

I still think this would be my favorite subject for a Modular Police Precinct House. Yeah they do City Police Stations every year, but the Moduilar's let them do something special. There is no comparison between the annual City Fire Station and the FB after all. But anyway this is the NYPD 19th Precinct in Manhattan. Built in 1887. I know we have been getting a ton of US style buildings in recent times, but I still don't think you could find a more perfect subject for a Lego Modular.

19th+precinct2.jpg

I mean have you ever seen a building more made for (or from) Lego? 

5 minutes ago, Faefrost said:

I still think this would be my favorite subject for a Modular Police Precinct House. Yeah they do City Police Stations every year, but the Moduilar's let them do something special. There is no comparison between the annual City Fire Station and the FB after all. But anyway this is the NYPD 19th Precinct in Manhattan. Built in 1887. I know we have been getting a ton of US style buildings in recent times, but I still don't think you could find a more perfect subject for a Lego Modular.

19th+precinct2.jpg

But that's the point...  why waste a modular on a building that gets a design (even if its mediocre) every 2 years? the modulars as you just stated are something special indeed yes, unique buildings are what they are. We don't need a police station and I hope we never get one.  Lego tends to make modulars that are multipurpose as well. example being the Detectives Office (apartments above and barber shop on side) Brickbank (laundry mat, apartment above). etc.  a Police Station would also eat into their City sets because Modulars typically are available for more than 3-4 years depending on sales. (as we saw with Brick Bank and Detectives Office retiring before Parisian Restaurant)

I am looking at the facts in front of me and being in marketing, it makes no sense to even do this. the Fire Brigade was a fluke because it was earlier on when the modulars weren't as popular and it was not a big seller from what I was reading (why its also harder to find on the grey market).

the Police Precinct above is also too similar to the Brick Bank

I think personally the Garage leak is legit, but I'm leaving it at that. Monday is 2 days away, so RELAX

Edited by ncx

10 minutes ago, ncx said:

But that's the point...  why waste a modular on a building that gets a design (even if its mediocre) every 2 years? the modulars as you just stated are something special indeed yes, unique buildings are what they are. We don't need a police station and I hope we never get one.  Lego tends to make modulars that are multipurpose as well. example being the Detectives Office (apartments above and barber shop on side) Brickbank (laundry mat, apartment above). etc.  a Police Station would also eat into their City sets because Modulars typically are available for more than 3-4 years depending on sales. (as we saw with Brick Bank and Detectives Office retiring before Parisian Restaurant)

I am looking at the facts in front of me and being in marketing, it makes no sense to even do this. the Fire Brigade was a fluke because it was earlier on when the modulars weren't as popular and it was not a big seller from what I was reading (why its also harder to find on the grey market).

I think personally the Garage leak is legit, but I'm leaving it at that. Monday is 2 days away, so RELAX

I understand what you are saying, but you miss the big “why?”. The answer is the best selling Modular building. The one that induced City builders over to the Modular line. The most common “first modular” for fans was the Fire Brigade. The more detailed and adult rendition of what they grew up with is the perfect crossover into the world of AFOL’s. A Police Station would be another such crossover and entry point. I think a Mechanics Garage would also function that way. 

Just now, Faefrost said:

I understand what you are saying, but you miss the big “why?”. The answer is the best selling Modular building. The one that induced City builders over to the Modular line. The most common “first modular” for fans was the Fire Brigade. The more detailed and adult rendition of what they grew up with is the perfect crossover into the world of AFOL’s. A Police Station would be another such crossover and entry point. I think a Mechanics Garage would also function that way. 

I disagree that AFOL's want a Police Station lol  I've been hearing that alot of them don't want it for the same reasons I stated above.

as far as the garage, its likely to be a corner modular, which could actually end up using the entire footprint of the baseplate if it is indeed a garage.  There are alot of modulars that don't even use the entire baseplate

1 hour ago, Faefrost said:

19th+precinct2.jpg

This looks like Lego! This is one of the few building I've ever seen that are basically asking to be remade in Lego, and it would be relatively easy too.

1 hour ago, ncx said:

I really don't think you can use City sets to justify not to do a modular. They're both completely different lines with different purposes and audiences. Saying the modular line shouldn't have a police station because they already make a police station in the city line every few years is like saying Technic shouldn't do trucks or cars, because the city line is always releasing trucks and cars, or that the Ideas line shouldn't do spaceships/rockets because Star Wars does spaceships regularly, or that Creator Expert shouldn't've done the roller coaster because Creator 3-in-1 did one in the same year, or vica-versa. 

And I'm pretty sure the Fire Brigade is one of the top sellers/most popular, it's the first one, according to Brickset, to have more people who own it than people who want it. But even so, what about Brick Bank? There's a bank in the city line fairly regularly as far as I'm aware, and they did the Brick Bank just fine.

I do agree that the trend towards multipurpose buildings makes a Police Station unlikely, as there's nothing that springs to mind that you could incorporate into the building, like the laundromat with Brick Bank. But then again, there's nothing that springs to mind to attach to a Cafe, Grocer, pet shop, Detective's Office, Restaurant or Diner, yet they managed those... However, a garage would more naturally accommodate an apartment or another business, as the garage itself would probably only need the ground floor. A Police Station would use up much, if not all, of any building its in.

People seem to be underestimating how popular a police station would be. A modular building would be very different from a city playset. The FB modular has almost no resemblance to any city fire station that has been released. The number of people who would be uninterested because they have made a MOC would be tiny in comparison to the those who would actually want the set. 

If it is a garage, I'd like they to stick with the early-mid 20th century for any vehicles included. While I know some people don't agree about the setting of each of the modulars, I like the idea that they can all exist in that approximate time period, and it'd be great to get an older style tow-truck. We've had so many modern vehicles from the city range (and a lot of tow vehicles), it would be a nice change to get some retro ones. 

I think buildings appearing in the City line is a solid argument against including such buildings as a modular. Lego fans are diverse and at least a substantial part of the people buying modulars will also buy the better large city buildings for use in a city or display. This doesn't mean that a Police/Fire station is out of the question, but Lego understands that these buildings will appeal less to a subset of their audience and thus will be more likely to include something else in the modular line that would appeal to more potential buyers. The comparisons with Technic and the brick bank by The_Nev make little sense to me, Technic is a whole different product with less overlap in fans than two System lines and large City bank sets are to my knowledge at the very least rare (do these even exist?). 

In contrast, the idea that a police station is unlikely because it would be hard to include other types of buildings in the set doesn't make sense to me. I think it is very possible for Lego to make a change to their recent choices and produce a modular with one single purpose building like they did in older modulars, they have shown little conservatism in the past and are clearly willing to break the mold with the modular line. 

Edited by Maartenh

1 hour ago, Maartenh said:

The comparisons with Technic and the brick bank by The_Nev make little sense to me, Technic is a whole different product with less overlap in fans than two System lines and large City bank sets are to my knowledge at the very least rare (do these even exist?). 

Thank you! This is my thoughts exactly on the Technic comparison.

2 hours ago, The_Nev said:

They're both completely different lines with different purposes and audiences. Saying the modular line shouldn't have a police station because they already make a police station in the city line every few years is like saying Technic shouldn't do trucks or cars, because the city line is always releasing trucks and cars, or that the Ideas line shouldn't do spaceships/rockets because Star Wars does spaceships regularly, or that Creator Expert shouldn't've done the roller coaster because Creator 3-in-1 did one in the same year, or vica-versa. 

Star Wars has no realistic looking ships at all. None of them are even possible to make in real life and none of the designs are even good.  You are comparing Apples to Oranges here as Star Wars has its own attention, its own lineup, its own marketing its own damn division in Lego.  Hell, we can blame Star Wars for the mediocre selection we get as AFOLs because of how much of the resources Lego invests in it.

When people bring up Star Wars, it's laughable because Star Wars also gets its own UCS series whereas none of the other lines get that treatment at all. so again, Apples to Oranges.  Would you like to try again? or did I make my point?

Edited by ncx

I would like to see a modular police station, now it feels like I'm missing one.

It's great to have a governmental building in the modular line now and then. It has been a while since the Fire Brigade and the Town Hall.

Existing police stations don't have to rule out a modular version. There is a retiring and an upcoming fire station in the City line and yet the Winter Village Fire Station has been released!

I just think the part count limits the possibility for a police station. The Fire Brigade has sparse interior elements and Town Hall was build of more bricks. It would require a lot of bricks to build a substantial police station, including a lot of interior and... a police car!

Just now, Wesley D said:

I would like to see a modular police station, now it feels like I'm missing one.

It's great to have a governmental building in the modular line now and then. It has been a while since the Fire Brigade and the Town Hall.

Existing police stations don't have to rule out a modular version. There is a retiring and an upcoming fire station in the City line and yet the Winter Village Fire Station has been released!

I just think the part count limits the possibility for a police station. The Fire Brigade has sparse interior elements and Town Hall was build of more bricks. It would require a lot of bricks to build a substantial police station, including a lot of interior and... a police car!

You have to look at this from a business perspective.  Police and Fire are the biggest sellers for Lego.  They are NOT going to cannibalize their City lineup for a modular. The average ages of those City sets are between ages 7-10, the average ages for modulars are 14 and up.  See the difference here? 

the point about shooting themselves in the foot comes when modulars are in production for atleast 4 years before they are retired.

City lineups get a new Police Station every 2 years, so the fact here is, if they were to release a modular Police Station it would make little sense to release a Police Station in the City line also. Parents that buy those sets for kids are also not going to shell out $170 for a modular building that is not aimed at kids to begin with, its more tweens/adults.

Looking at it from a business point of view is very important because that what Lego bases their decisions on and alot of common sense goes a long LONG way.

26 minutes ago, ncx said:

This is the stupidest thing I ever read.

Dude, calm down. If that is really the case, you can't really be reading a lot...

15 minutes ago, Wesley D said:

I agree with this. The Town Hall is #1 on the list of missed modulars I wish I had. And I'd personally much rather have a police station, in the style posted above, than a garage.

15 minutes ago, ncx said:

The average ages of those City sets are between ages 7-10, the average ages for modulars are 14 and up.

I agree City sets and Modular Buildings have different target groups, but therefore I rather think there is little competition between those lines, making it possible to have the same theme at the same time.

I'm curious if and how many children get modular buildings to play with. In a local toy store over here the modulars seem to sell pretty well. I always wonder if it's bought for the children or if there are many AFOLs around?

Just now, Hive said:

I agree with this. The Town Hall is #1 on the list of missed modulars I wish I had. And I'd personally much rather have a police station, in the style posted above, than a garage.

I think the Town Hall looks very stylish and I'm very lucky I got one after I missed out on it. The style of that Manhattan police station pleases me too, but maybe we'll get to wait a bit longer for such a modular building. The diversity in the line is nice too.

I'm pretty confident they'll do their best to deliver us something we would like to get!

4 hours ago, ncx said:

A modular Police Station surely would be a special building as well, and not comparable to the playsets in the City line.

Fire Brigade was the first big seller of the modular line, the first to get multiple production runs. So far, only Pet Shop and maybe Parisian Restaurant are likely to have surpassed it.

Oh, and not to be nitpicky, but Brick Bank didn't feature an apartment at all, and DO had a toilet and a kitchen, which doesn't exactly qualify as an apartment, too.

1 hour ago, ncx said:

You have to look at this from a business perspective.  Police and Fire are the biggest sellers for Lego.  They are NOT going to cannibalize their City lineup for a modular. The average ages of those City sets are between ages 7-10, the average ages for modulars are 14 and up.  See the difference here? 

the point about shooting themselves in the foot comes when modulars are in production for atleast 4 years before they are retired.

City lineups get a new Police Station every 2 years, so the fact here is, if they were to release a modular Police Station it would make little sense to release a Police Station in the City line also. Parents that buy those sets for kids are also not going to shell out $170 for a modular building that is not aimed at kids to begin with, its more tweens/adults.

Two words: Fire Brigade.

They also regularly release a fire station and fire trucks in the City line. Yet Fire Brigade became the best selling modular, and propably the one that 'made' the entire line, as in it brought the most fans to it. And it didn't hurt City sales at all.

And...

The average ages of those City sets are between ages 7-10, the average ages for modulars are 14 and up.  See the difference here? 

Yes! Exactly!

The modular line isn't aimed primarily at kids, and the City line isn't primarily aimed at adults. Thus there is little chance of one cannibalizing the other - the vast majority of City sets is bought by or for kids. The vast majority of modulars is bought by adults. The few AFOLs that buy City sets for themselves are a small minority - and Lego would actully shoot themselves in the foot if they passed up the chance to sell them a 150€ set instead of a 100€ set. Same goes for the few parents who buy modulars for their kids (and just for them, without any interest in them themselves).

Sorry to say this, but it seems like you don't like the idea of a modular Police Station at all (which is fine, everybody's got their own opinion) but are just trying to justify that.

Oh yeah:

Looking at it from a business point of view is very important because that what Lego bases their decisions on and alot of common sense goes a long LONG way.

Looking at some of Lego's business decisions, I highly doubt that common sense plays much of a role there :laugh::wink: