The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I feel like I am in the minority of liking DO and especially BB exactly the way they are. I love the story elements, I love the play features, and I love the way both look.

As for the upcoming modular: my guess for the reveal would be anything between 27th to 30th. I assume TLG wants to keep the focus away from new stuff until Cyber Monday is over, and I doubt they have staff working on weekends - which puts the "reveal window" between Tuesday and Friday of the coming week.

2 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

Hmm. On the US site it doesn't have that "retiring soon" tag like it does on the UK site. And neitheor does the DO. 

True, but both sets have their “sold out” notices in red which means permanently sold out. So they’re functionally retired on the US Lego website. 

3 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

Hmm. On the US site it doesn't have that "retiring soon" tag like it does on the UK site. And neitheor does the DO. 

The US website stopped applying the Retiring Soon indicator to sets (with a few odd exceptions) a year or so ago. 

I say they should just kill two birds with one stone and release something that includes a large chinese restaurant, featuring a chinese banquet and chinese new year related events. This way, it can include all the nice elements from the asia-only sets and most of us can put down our pitchforks.

Edited by badbob001

I just hope that whatever it is, Lego use the new cobblestone tiles that came with the mini Diagon Alley promo set!

I think much of the weakness in DO and BB relative to the first wave of modulars (2007-2010) came from the smaller size of the structures.    Lego was desperately clinging to the $160-170 price point in the middle of the decade and the central structures were shorter than in previous sets.   Then, we went to a much bigger price point in 2017 for Assembly Square and it looks magnificent, just as good as the original five structures.

Thankfully, this flaw is easily rectified by just building more floors.   If they were perfect, they'd be boring, because then there would be nothing to build.   The fun of Lego Modular Houses is building on them and expanding them into a unique, coherent layout. 

Either way, I hope Lego takes their time and releases it at the right point in 2019 to optimize sales.  I won't be able to buy it in January because my Lego budget is going to MOCs then.

4 hours ago, BuckeyeLegoFan said:

True, but both sets have their “sold out” notices in red which means permanently sold out. So they’re functionally retired on the US Lego website. 

3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

The US website stopped applying the Retiring Soon indicator to sets (with a few odd exceptions) a year or so ago. 

Thanks. Good to know. 

7 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

But so much of the 2019 sets have already been revealed in the past few days. 

There is a difference between normal sets that every shop has and D2C sets! There are so many ways a normal set can leak, but apparently fewer and fewer set a D2C can leak.. If we are unlucky they sometimes only leak a few day before they are in the shop :tongue:

9 hours ago, Drunknok said:

I feel like I am in the minority of liking DO and especially BB exactly the way they are. I love the story elements, I love the play features, and I love the way both look.

As for the upcoming modular: my guess for the reveal would be anything between 27th to 30th. I assume TLG wants to keep the focus away from new stuff until Cyber Monday is over, and I doubt they have staff working on weekends - which puts the "reveal window" between Tuesday and Friday of the coming week.

DO is my favorite! yes i really just said that

but... lego.... now it is time for some leaks/ teasers/ official pictures

I must be one of the very few LEGO fans around who has never watched The LEGO movie. :look:

Despite my limited knowledge of the film I believe that the main character Emmet, lives in an apartment that resembles a Modular building. I'm wondering if LEGO might produce some D2C sets later next year to tie in with the new movie. And maybe they might produce Emmet's apartment as a large D2C modular style building in as similar approach to when they made Ninjago City to tie in with the release of the Ninjago movie.

In fact is it beyond the realms of possibility that this could even be the subject for the new modular building in January??? :oh3:

40 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

I must be one of the very few LEGO fans around who has never watched The LEGO movie. :look:

Despite my limited knowledge of the film I believe that the main character Emmet, lives in an apartment that resembles a Modular building. I'm wondering if LEGO might produce some D2C sets later next year to tie in with the new movie. And maybe they might produce Emmet's apartment as a large D2C modular style building in as similar approach to when they made Ninjago City to tie in with the release of the Ninjago movie.

In fact is it beyond the realms of possibility that this could even be the subject for the new modular building in January??? :oh3:

first.... shame on you!

And i dont think so.
Emmets apartment in the first movie is in a building that would be way to expensive if it would be a set. it is just way too big.
The seccond movie takes place in an apocalyptic world where the duplo invaders (1st movie) have destroyed everything.. so no modulars 

On 11/24/2018 at 10:34 PM, Kjellevirus said:

With the couple of last modular buildings, LEGO likes to include a story. Money laundring with the Brick Bank, the mugglar with the sweets/cookies in Dettective Office. So a story between a donut shop and a pollice station would be very a cool story. 

Or a police station combined with a new pet shop, so they can base it all on a "stool pigeon".

15 minutes ago, SollX said:

first.... shame on you!

And i dont think so.
Emmets apartment in the first movie is in a building that would be way to expensive if it would be a set. it is just way too big.
The seccond movie takes place in an apocalyptic world where the duplo invaders (1st movie) have destroyed everything.. so no modulars 

My knowledge of the film is obviously even worse than I'd thought then. :laugh:

Bricked1980 - actually Emmet’s apartment building is a slightly modified Town Hall, so technically they already released it (practically).

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

You’re not alone... :look:

1 hour ago, Jasper Joppe Geers said:

Did we ever had a Toy Store? I know GE was that kind of thing, but not meant to be purely Toy Store?

Heck yes, this would be awesome! And what about a modular Lego store? There have been some great MOCs of it, I’d love to see an official modular Lego store! :moar:

EDIT: Just remembered that we had a toy store (two with th re-release) in the Winter Village sub-theme...

Edited by LegoModularFan

I'd love a library, although I feel it would end up being similar to Town Hall.

1 hour ago, LegoModularFan said:

Heck yes, this would be awesome! And what about a modular Lego store? There have been some great MOCs of it, I’d love to see an official modular Lego store! :moar:

When I was at a US Lego store for Black Friday, I noticed that the 40305 Lego Brand store was marked down from $30 to $20. I'm not sure if the price change is related to Black Friday, but perhaps they are clearing out inventory for a new version of the Lego Brand Store?

On 8/31/2014 at 9:28 AM, Roger_Smith said:

Thinking about it, Detective Agency as a business doesn't really scream "Ground Floor" for me. Isn't the old-times cliché for these things that you go up a set of stairs, then through an anteroom, where the secretary has her desk, and then there's a door with a milky glass window, behind which the detective's office is located?

Ground Floor might work aswell, but I'd prefer it if it was occupied by some other business. A laundromat maybe?

I'm in the process of reading through this entire thread whenever my computer is rendering a film. I just stumbled across this post from 2014, shortly after PaperBallPark mentioned that the next modular would be a Detective's Agency. It's amazing to me, being a new AFOL, that people are so accurate with their guesses and explanations. This is nearly the description of what would become the Detective's Office, and it's uncanny that Roger would also mention a Laundromat, which would appear the following year alongside the Brick Bank. 

Loving this thread. Not one to dig up the past on forums, but I thought others may find this interesting. I am really looking forward to the next rumour. I still think it's going to be a Police Station. Really excited to see it too! 

10 hours ago, Roebuck said:

There is a difference between normal sets that every shop has and D2C sets! There are so many ways a normal set can leak, but apparently fewer and fewer set a D2C can leak.. If we are unlucky they sometimes only leak a few day before they are in the shop :tongue:

Any day now. Tick tock. Tick tock. Tick tock...

19 hours ago, Drunknok said:

I love them both too! The look of BB from the front is architecturally, in my opinion, nicer than PR. 

Hmm the reveal could still be even later then that though- Lego like to make us sweat haha

1 hour ago, badbob001 said:

When I was at a US Lego store for Black Friday, I noticed that the 40305 Lego Brand store was marked down from $30 to $20. I'm not sure if the price change is related to Black Friday, but perhaps they are clearing out inventory for a new version of the Lego Brand Store?

I have been looking for this set for a while now. Do you mind if I ask which store you saw it at?