The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 11/13/2018 at 1:31 PM, MAB said:

Or FB is set in the 2010s and there is a re-enactment going on using an old fire truck.

The minifigs in FB are modern uniforms which would indicate that the building is set in the present. I, though will be replacing the uniforms on mine with those in the WV Fire Station when I get around to ordering the latter.

2 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Yeah, even with that people still insist they'll retire in order though.

I thought PR would be the next to go for that very reason. So I bought a second set (to expand the first) rather than a DO or a second BB. Doh! Luckily I'm starting a new job and can afford to buy them now.

I can't believe that Brick Bank is going already, but I guess it's either it or Parisian, which it seems is going to live forever...

4 hours ago, Kalahari134 said:

I thought PR would be the next to go for that very reason. So I bought a second set (to expand the first) rather than a DO or a second BB. Doh! Luckily I'm starting a new job and can afford to buy them now.

Production for these sets isn’t continuous. They do a batch, enough to stock the anticipated release, then based on the rate of sales and stock depletion will make a go no go decision on doing another run to restock the supply chain, or letting a set EOL. The sets that seemingly lasted forever, FB, PS and now PR got a second, and for FB I believe third factory run. Which kept the supply warehouses stocked for much longer. It’s likely DO and BB each only got 1 factory run. (Which is normal. It is the extra production runs that are unusual and indicate a top seller.) 

other things that will effect retirement decisions as stock runs down is “what is in the pipeline that we need the shelf space for?” So if a viable replacement is on its way they will let a set retire. Shelf space is finite and one of their main limiters. 

12 hours ago, CopperTablet said:

I'm guessing it will be a light or dark bley hotel in the Streamline Modern style. Mike Psiaki said in the DD video that he wanted to build a hotel.

It's the only thing that comes close to a hint for the next modular. I consider a hotel very likely possible and this year there is a hotel pageboy minifigure torso available.

On the other hand I don't expect to see another Streamline Modern modular, especially not so soon after Downtown Diner. I'd rather expect art nouveau or classicism architecture.

I could imagine a corner modular building based on this hotel in Nice, with it's nice, colored dome.

hotel-negresco-nice.jpg

Whatever it is; just hope it's not another corner one. Don't really have anywhere left to fit them nicely in my layout.

Unfortunately if the pattern (corner, reg, reg) holds up, I may be another corner one. Then again DD was so close to being a corner that it would surprise me, and it was never an official pattern anyway. 

7 minutes ago, Gorki247 said:

Whatever it is; just hope it's not another corner one. Don't really have anywhere left to fit them nicely in my layout.

Unfortunately if the pattern (corner, reg, reg) holds up, I may be another corner one. Then again DD was so close to being a corner that it would surprise me, and it was never an official pattern anyway. 

I'd be surprised if it wasn't a corner. That's pretty much the only really consistent pattern they adhered to throughout the years.

On 11/17/2018 at 9:24 AM, Wesley D said:

I could imagine a corner modular building based on this hotel in Nice, with it's nice, colored dome.

hotel-negresco-nice.jpg

A building I've always loved and would like to turn to a modular someday is "La Rotonda", not the one in Vicenza, but one in Barcelona:

14963989380105.jpg

I think it shares some ideas with the one you're suggesting, but is overall more daring. That dome is just beautiful. In fact, there was big controversy as, recently, an architecture firm bascially hollowed the building, restored some of it and destroyed many of the detailing on the cornices. If modularized, I believe the major changes would be on the ground floor, as it's pretty darn boring

Edited by paupadros

Jamie did say in an interview that they don't like to stick to a set pattern or be predictable, such as having 3 floors, until the FB came out,  or having the classic blank smile faces until this year. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the corner-straight-straight pattern debunked. For the same reason, I don't think next year's modular will be anything that has been predicted, I think that like every other year, we will be surprised.

Once BB is retired, there will be no corner modular on sale, unless the upcoming one is a corner. To me that is a good reason for the next one to be a corner.

P.S.: Something that would both solve the "corner problem" and defy expectations would be a "split modular" on two rectangular triangles as bases. A sidewalk on each of the hypotenuses would mean you could use each "triangle" as a corner (the short edges would connect to regular modulars), or a combined "normal" build with a wide pathway diagonally across it.

Edited by Drunknok

Jamie said an interview thing, which I to think: Jamie: So, to say that next year we will be doing a certain building is probably a bit premature because we want to take in all the ideas and maybe we are surprised and of something else. We also have boosts building right now where do you get some really fun ideas like the boxing ring for the diner. That came from a building boost where one of the designers proposed that as a theme. Said It. Modular he talk is what people think it will be is Police Station. Or another we never thought.

12 hours ago, paupadros said:

A building I've alwyas loved and would like to turn to a modular someday is "La Rotonda", not the one in Vicenza, but one in Barcelona:

I think it shares some ideas with the one you're suggesting, but is overall more daring. That dome is just beautiful. In fact, there was big controversy as, recently, an architecture firm bascially hollowed the building, restored some of it and destroyed many of the detailing on the cornices. If modularized, I believe the major changes would be on the ground floor, as it's pretty darn boring

To be fair, they could just rebuild Barcelona in Lego and have enough material for awesome, interesting buildings for the foreseeable future.

14 hours ago, Gorki247 said:

14 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

I'd be surprised if it wasn't a corner. That's pretty much the only really consistent pattern they adhered to throughout the years.

But, does Assembly Square fit into the pattern? I tend to think not, because it’s more of a special set. With a lot of nods to the past Modulars in its design. Then again, that was the only Modular we got that year. So, did they skip their pattern for a year in honor of the 10th one, or does it fit...

Edited by Vindicare

5 hours ago, Vindicare said:

But, does Assembly Square fit into the pattern? I tend to think not, because it’s more of a special set. With a lot of nods to the past Modulars in its design. Then again, that was the only Modular we got that year. So, did they skip their pattern for a year in honor of the 10th one, or does it fit...

Imho: It has connection points that are paralell to each other. Thus it counts as a straght modular and fits the pattern.

I don't think it matters that it's 16 studs wider.

...and maybe they'll surprise us with a 16 wide corner modular now to even out the overall width of a 'block' :wink::laugh:

2 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

Imho: It has connection points that are paralell to each other. Thus it counts as a straght modular and fits the pattern.

I don't think it matters that it's 16 studs wider.

...and maybe they'll surprise us with a 16 wide corner modular now to even out the overall width of a 'block' :wink::laugh:

With pet shop being 2*16 wide, don’t count this sort of thing out as a future ´correction’ to the block, perhaps as an extra ´mini’ Modular.

Well I believe it was on this date in 2017 that the first leaks of the diner started to appear. Bit disappointed that history hasn't repeated itself this year. :hmpf_bad: 

Okay. So I guess a lego catalogue with a lot of new sets leaked. I’m wondering why an image of the new modular is not in it.

Edited by ddavid

1 minute ago, ddavid said:

Okay. So I guess a lego catalogue with a lot of new sets leaked. I’m wondering why an image of the new modular is not in it.

Link?

1 minute ago, ddavid said:

Are you referring to all the new city and creator pics that have appeared online within the past few hours? I believe these pictures have come from a store that has started selling the sets early, rather than from a leaked catalogue.

Just now, Bricked1980 said:

Are you referring to all the new city and creator pics that have appeared online within the past few hours? 

No, there is apparently a leaked catalog with preliminaries posted by a few users over on Instagram. Also, contrary to what @ddavid said, there is one spread that has a placeholder for an unnamed Creator Expert set on the left page, and a placeholder for an unnamed LEGO Ideas set on the right page opposite. 

Yeah. I see it now ;)  I hope something more will show up soon.

(And @The_Nev you can search for some leaks on Instagram ;)

Edited by ddavid

4 minutes ago, ddavid said:

Yeah. I see it now ;)

Um, I'd remove that quickly if I were you... :distressed:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

I thought you couldn’t just post pictures, but links were ok. Idk. Anyway thanks for the warning :P

Edited by ddavid