The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 10/28/2018 at 3:21 PM, Gongoro73 said:

Police Station, uh?

IF the rumor is true, than I have to agree with you!

Would be interesting to see if the designers will continue to flirt with the 50's/60's. Aka will it be a film noir like classis police station? And will it have the fourth car of the Modular series?

I'd always assumed that We might not get a modular police station whilst Detectives Office is still on the shelves. However earlier today I received the new Lego store Christmas catalogue in the post. It looks like DO is going to be the next modular to get the chop. Rather than being shown on the page with the other modular buildings, it is shown on the page with sets that are retiring soon. :oh3:

30680869927_6ea6eafd52_k_d.jpg

I am surprised the Parisian Restaurant hasn't retired yet given how old it is and given that its the last of the older type modulars before they went to the more story driven stuff starting with the DO.

It's their most beloved modular, so I guess it should be selling quite well. The most surprising thing though is that the Tower Bridge is still around. I'm want it to be replaced by a newer addition to the world builng series.

29 minutes ago, jonwil said:

I am surprised the Parisian Restaurant hasn't retired yet given how old it is and given that its the last of the older type modulars before they went to the more story driven stuff starting with the DO.

I guess it’s because the Parisian Restaurant still sells pretty well. Which I understand - it’s a spectacular modular. 

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

It was the PR that got me addicted to the modulars.

10 hours ago, jonwil said:

its the last of the older type modulars before they went to the more story driven stuff starting with the DO.

There is much more story in AS & DD than in PR ? (which has some story stuff too, with the ring)

Further to my post yesterday showing the catalogue page suggesting DO might be retiring soon - it's worth pointing out that Brick Bank is the only current modular that isn't featured anywhere in the catalogue at all.

I still think this indicates that DO will be the next one to retire though, otherwise surely it would have been on the same page as all the other modulars.

5 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Further to my post yesterday showing the catalogue page suggesting DO might be retiring soon - it's worth pointing out that Brick Bank is the only current modular that isn't featured anywhere in the catalogue at all.

I still think this indicates that DO will be the next one to retire though, otherwise surely it would have been on the same page as all the other modulars.

My bet has been on the bank going, just a feeling with it being marked down multiple times over the summer, but it'll be interesting to see.  Thanks for posting the catalog shot!

I'm not a huge fan of a modular police station over other ideas I've seen, but I'd still buy it. :laugh:

Just now, spilledbricks said:

I'm not a huge fan of a modular police station over other ideas I've seen, but I'd still buy it. :laugh:

I think a police station could work well as a modular. I think if they did one then the most obvious setting would be a stereotype American type of building. I know a European one could still work but I just feel that an American setting would lend itself much better to a Lego set and provide lots of little storylines and pop culture references that would work well in a modular.

For this reason I don't think they'll give us a police station this year. DD was such a heavily Americanised set, that I don't think they'll follow it up with another American themed model. Just my guess though! :classic:

Museum (a LEGO museum would be perfect)
Bookshop
Library
Police Station

if it is one of those above i would be very happy , please keep it at a normal 32x32 baseplate. 

Makes the Assembly Square special for what it was...a 10th anniversary modular 

That being said we are entering november and still no modular leak , not even a simple clue , name , nothing...

damn lego , let something leak already
Edited by just_one

If they did do a police station, one in the style of the Springfield station from The Simpsons or the one you see in Police Academy 2 (that general older style of police precinct) would be a good way to go.

Not something all sleek and modern like we get in the City police stations.

November 18 was the date that the first leaked image of DD has been revealed last year. About 10 days after, it was official that it would become the 2018 modular. A little later year after year...

If the DO is showing as retiring soon in the Christmas catalog, does it mean it will be around until the end of the year?

Should I grab it now on double VIP points? Or wait for a black Friday or Christmas sale?

3 hours ago, brickmeistro said:

If the DO is showing as retiring soon in the Christmas catalog, does it mean it will be around until the end of the year?

Should I grab it now on double VIP points? Or wait for a black Friday or Christmas sale?

LEGO never has sales on the expensive sets. Best bet is getting it now with the double points or waiting for the Diagon Alley giveaway and reselling that.

On 10/30/2018 at 10:38 AM, Bricked1980 said:

Interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if PR survived one or two of it's successors, given it's the last modular that was met with overwhelming praise (not saying everyone liked it, but there were far more critical voices for all of the modulars that appeared after). And a somewhat early retirement of DO and/or BB might also indicate that their sales figures didn't live up to expectations - which in turn might be a reason why they returned to the true 'one building per baseplate, without a stupid storyline'-pattern with the Diner. At least, I would very much welcome that. :wink:

I would guess there is a very good chance both Brick Bank and Detectives Office are soon going to be retired.  I am surprised so many only expect one modular to go.  DO is on its fourth year and BB is on its third.  That is really long for any set to be available by today's standards.  I think the wild popularity of Parisian Restaurant on its fifth year has given people a false impression of how long to expect Modular Buildings to stick around.

On 10/29/2018 at 7:02 PM, badbob001 said:

It was the PR that got me addicted to the modulars.

Same. Personally I think that it's the best modular of all time, but that's just me.

14 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

LEGO never has sales on the expensive sets. 

Not quite true. They did have a few nice discounts for the Black Friday weekend last year (at least in Germany and other parts of Europe), including BB and GBHQ.

53 minutes ago, cimddwc said:

Not quite true. They did have a few nice discounts for the Black Friday weekend last year (at least in Germany and other parts of Europe), including BB and GBHQ.

That is true, i ordered my second BrickBank directly through Lego SAH on November 23 2017 for only Eur 135,99 including a free 40254 Nutcracker which i sold for Eur 22,50 in the internet! So only Eur 113,49 for a BrickBank is a nice deal IMO.

I was peeking in the lego ambassador network's blog section and saw this awesome halloween staff picture.... and something else what looks like a modular building on the right side, on the pilar above the joker costumed person.

1786864448_10-31halloween.jpg.156703d77d