The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

10 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Thanks guys! Yes that is my MOC. That fake box image has been floating around since August. At the time I had recently joined Instagram and had been posting pictures of my MOCs including several of the Post Office. I had received a few comments from people saying that they liked the model and wished it could be an official modular. So I posted that box image as a joke in response to those comments. I made it very clear in my picture title and caption that the image was fake though and didn't try to pretend it was a leaked image.

I'd only got a small amount of followers on Instagram and didn't expect the response that picture would get. It started to attract comments from people who had clearly not read my picture caption and were convinced it was a legit image of the next modular. So I deleted the picture after it had only been online for about 2 hours.

Despite this, other people have gotten hold of the picture and have been sharing it online ever since claiming it to be an exclusive scoop on the next modular. It seems to have become a favourite topic amongst various instagram and facebook posters and bloggers who are using it just as a way to get as many followers and likes as they can.

Yes the picture is essentially just the DD box art but with my model slapped over the top.

I think you really did a great job with your postoffice....i would instantly buy two of them..!!

Edited by LegoSjaak

8 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Yes the picture is essentially just the DD box art but with my model slapped over the top.

Thanks for confirming. Your set does look spectacular though! Fingers crossed we can get your MOC one day!

I think Lego's way of controlling the amount of Lego it sells is quite clever, as it does take up a lot of space and people only have so much money in their pockets, and Lego wants to have its own vision for its own product lines, but I would love it if they released one MOC modular building every summer... there's that Police Station that's going around at the moment, and your Post Office building, and both would sell tremendously well, I'm sure....! I do love the building techniques that are incorporated into the official designs, and have no understanding as to whether or not MOCs tend to have a similar level of complexity and detail, but they are pretty spectacular to look at, all the same. 

14 minutes ago, LegoSjaak said:

I think you really did a great job with your postoffice....i would instantly buy two of them..!!

Thanks a lot! :classic:

7 minutes ago, RuffDraft said:

Thanks for confirming. Your set does look spectacular though! Fingers crossed we can get your MOC one day!

I think Lego's way of controlling the amount of Lego it sells is quite clever, as it does take up a lot of space and people only have so much money in their pockets, and Lego wants to have its own vision for its own product lines, but I would love it if they released one MOC modular building every summer... there's that Police Station that's going around at the moment, and your Post Office building, and both would sell tremendously well, I'm sure....! I do love the building techniques that are incorporated into the official designs, and have no understanding as to whether or not MOCs tend to have a similar level of complexity and detail, but they are pretty spectacular to look at, all the same. 

Thanks very much! :classic: I wish that Lego would release more than one modular each year too but sadly I don't think they will any time soon. Just look at some of the excellent modular designs that have made it through to the review stage on LEGO Ideas. None of them have ever been selected for production before and I think if LEGO were open to the idea of releasing an extra modular during the year then we would have seen some of those LEGO Ideas models being produced by now.

I think from now on it should be standard procedure for every modular being posted on EB/Flickr to include a photoshopped boxart to produce total chaos. ;-)

6 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Thanks very much! :classic: I wish that Lego would release more than one modular each year too but sadly I don't think they will any time soon. Just look at some of the excellent modular designs that have made it through to the review stage on LEGO Ideas. None of them have ever been selected for production before and I think if LEGO were open to the idea of releasing an extra modular during the year then we would have seen some of those LEGO Ideas models being produced by now.

Very true... I guess the Fishing Store will give us all hope that one day, things might change! :) Some of the ones that actually make it to production have me confused - like the message in a bottle one - I don't get it, and certainly wouldn't buy it. It's creative, but it's not as appealing as say a Post Office or Police Station, and it has no way of being incorporated into a city, really. 

Do you think you'll ever do instructions for yours? 

2 minutes ago, RuffDraft said:

Do you think you'll ever do instructions for yours? 

I've been asked quite a bit so I'm hoping to get round to it at some point. I'm fairly new to making MOCs though and haven't tackled making instructions yet. Designing instructions for a modular would be a pretty complex job I reckon so it will take me a bit of time to get it done.

5 minutes ago, RuffDraft said:

Some of the ones that actually make it to production have me confused - like the message in a bottle one - I don't get it, and certainly wouldn't buy it. It's creative, but it's not as appealing as say a Post Office or Police Station, and it has no way of being incorporated into a city, really. 

Well I suppose everybody has different tastes. Modular buildings always seem to be popular on there amongst voters and I'm sure they would sell well if they were released. So I can only imagine Lego don't release them because they want to maintain the unique, once a year release for the models. Perhaps they think that if they released them more often, it could water down their appeal to some extent.

Speaking of LEGO Ideas there is a minifig scale Traction Engine on there at the minute that would work very well in a city layout alongside modular buildings. :grin::grin::grin:  It's just crying out for votes! :wink::laugh:

43872954025_17900dd332_z_d.jpg41186847730_664eb3d9e6_z_d.jpg

Is there any scope for modular MOC designs (or at least slimmed down 16-stud width ones to meet part limits) to be submitted with this new Lego-Bricklink collaboration?

I haven’t come across anything further about it since it was announced, but seemed like a way to potentially bypass the Ideas panel barrier, and therefore make designs available for purchase.

I know a lot of people sell electronic copies of designs, but I’m not even remotely tempted by designs that involve 3000+ pieces including the premium of buying parts not in production since 2011 etc. The official modulars all have an excellent PPP ratio, but I couldn’t justify the cost of something costing e.g. 15-20pence/cent per part.

10 minutes ago, DeanLearner said:

Is there any scope for modular MOC designs (or at least slimmed down 16-stud width ones to meet part limits) to be submitted with this new Lego-Bricklink collaboration?

I haven’t come across anything further about it since it was announced, but seemed like a way to potentially bypass the Ideas panel barrier, and therefore make designs available for purchase.

I don't think there is anything stopping people from submitting modulars to that Bricklink scheme. The only potential barrier is that the part count has to be no more than 2000 parts. So the models would have to be potentially quite small or as a you suggest, maybe 16 studs wide.

I think this scheme will work quite differently to LEGO Ideas. People can submit their entries up until the deadline during November. After this all the models will be reviewed and a selection of them will be made public around next February. It then turns in to a sort of crowd funding system where people can place pre-orders for the different models. Only the models that reach at least 10,000 dollars worth of pre-orders will be produced and sold though. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we do see some unofficial modulars being released as a result of this scheme.

2 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I've been asked quite a bit so I'm hoping to get round to it at some point. I'm fairly new to making MOCs though and haven't tackled making instructions yet. Designing instructions for a modular would be a pretty complex job I reckon so it will take me a bit of time to get it done.

Well I suppose everybody has different tastes. Modular buildings always seem to be popular on there amongst voters and I'm sure they would sell well if they were released. So I can only imagine Lego don't release them because they want to maintain the unique, once a year release for the models. Perhaps they think that if they released them more often, it could water down their appeal to some extent.

Speaking of LEGO Ideas there is a minifig scale Traction Engine on there at the minute that would work very well in a city layout alongside modular buildings. :grin::grin::grin:  It's just crying out for votes! :wink::laugh:

Do you think anyone would do it for you if you don't have the time? I wouldn't put it passed some AFOLs reaching out to help you. You could give them 10% or something from what you make. I think the Post Office, when paired with a list to brick link, would sell for £20. 

Yeah, I guess you're right on that front... it is a unique time of year when the new modular arrives... absolutely love it! 

Haha! I'll be sure to give it a vote now! :iamded_lol::grin: Great to hear from you, and looking forward to your next builds! :classic:

22 hours ago, cimddwc said:

That's actually light salmon in my building. Regular salmon seems to be significantly darker and stronger. And I'm not sure if that would work well in larger amounts in a building.

Oh, dang :look:

Didn't know there were two different tones. Thanks for pointing it out!

8 hours ago, RuffDraft said:

@Bricked1980 I think I've heard this rumour before... :rofl: About your question, modulars are pretty complex in terms of building techniques, nonetheless, most of us, the modular MOC builders try to mimic or get close to the complexity of the official designs. At least speaking for me, mine are definitely as compex as offical models.

1 hour ago, paupadros said:

@Bricked1980 I think I've heard this rumour before... :rofl: About your question, modulars are pretty complex in terms of building techniques, nonetheless, most of us, the modular MOC builders try to mimic or get close to the complexity of the official designs. At least speaking for me, mine are definitely as compex as offical models.

Yeah, the Police Station that I'd like to build alongside yours is this one: The Old Police Station

That's really cool that you include those complexities into your builds too!!! There are so many talented Lego builders - so glad I found my way to the hobby. 

13 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

me too and love to see LegoSjaak's extending version as well :sweet:

5 hours ago, danimarroquin said:

I’m just in shock that we haven’t got a single leak of the next modular ! 

This is the driest leak season since EB has started. We're just going to have to wait it out at this point.

46 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

This is the driest leak season since EB has started. We're just going to have to wait it out at this point.

If I remember correctly, we did not find out about DD until deep into November.  We did not have a photo, an unconfirmed rumor, a description, or anything.

43 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

If I remember correctly, we did not find out about DD until deep into November.  We did not have a photo, an unconfirmed rumor, a description, or anything.

Yeah that's true, I forgot about that. It's just that this year we barely have anything for all of the January themes, not even a set list for some of them. I wouldn't expect pictures of the modular until a couple days before it's released.

I'm starting to think the leaked chinese minifigures are for the next modular. It was said there are for a promo set but at this point there are like 6 (elders, little girl, woman, guy in blue, guy in red). There are too many for just a promo set, right?

Could it be a chinese restaurant?

Edited by Robert8

2 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Well I hope this years set doesn't turn out to be another restaurant, that would mean 3 currently available modulars that are food establishments.

3 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I'm starting to think the leaked chinese minifigures are for the next modular. It was said there are for a promo set but at this point there are like 5. There are too many for just a promo set. 

Is it not more likely that they are for ninjago set/s :sceptic:

Of course those Chinese minifigures are not for mudular

As for modular 2019, the theme is one LEGO had and released for years~

2 hours ago, mackset said:

Hmmm interesting

Any detail? 

6 hours ago, mackset said: