The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

19 hours ago, BenderBrau said:

Wouldn't be much of a leak if it was scheduled :tongue:

Exactly my point. :wink:

1 hour ago, just_one said:

it really amazes me how much good will there is about the diner...

my favourite ones are the assembly square , restaurant , detectives office if i have to do a top3

would u put the dinner on the level of these 3?

He was joking. Diner and dinner are two different things (dinner = nightmeal).

I saw the DD in the flesh for the first time today at the Manchester Lego store and I have to say the photos don’t do it justice, if I could make one change it would be to restore the classic smiley faces, I hope future modulars go back to them, they’re a cute feature that sets the modulars apart from anything else Lego produces

5 hours ago, Terrasher said:

Plus, I'm a sucker for curves, teal and art deco :tongue:

That’s why I also liked the DD. But it doesn’t fit really well with all the other modulars. What bothers me is that every floor wall is ca. 2 bricks shorter than all the other buildings. It looks more like those creator city buildings than a modular.

What I would like to see is some kind of grocery store or a (super)market. The GG was released a long time ago and the people living in this imaginary city can go to the many restaurants, but can’t cook sth. for themselves. 

Oh. And I’m not really impressed with the idea of a service station or garage. Cars take up a lot of space and big gaping garage doors will look seriously bad.

My ideal modular would be another Parisian style (this time corner) building. With this grand facade a hotel would work very well. And in the attic-like last floor they could fit something else.

Edited by ddavid

The two modulars that are current available that I don't have are Parisian and Diner. Which one would you recommend, or should I get Palace Cinema from 3rd party, as price is still similar?

20 minutes ago, The_Nev said:

The two modulars that are current available that I don't have are Parisian and Diner. Which one would you recommend, or should I get Palace Cinema from 3rd party, as price is still similar?

Parisian Restaurant , probably my favourite modular.

First one i brought and fell in love with the modular line...my wallet still hates it to this day :D

Btw whats the best modular to put next to the diner? need some feedback please

Edited by just_one

20 minutes ago, The_Nev said:

Easily parisian restaurant. My favourite as well, by far. 

28 minutes ago, The_Nev said:

The two modulars that are current available that I don't have are Parisian and Diner. Which one would you recommend,

Out of the two, definitely PR. Not only is it the better model but will most likely be the next modular to retire.

1 hour ago, ddavid said:

What bothers me is that every floor wall is ca. 2 bricks shorter than all the other buildings. It looks more like those creator city buildings than a modular.

GE, PS, TH, PR, DO, DD and AS all have at least one floor that is 6-7 bricks from floor to ceiling. Floor heights vary in the real world as well.

1 hour ago, The_Nev said:

Certainly Parisian Restaurant, although I though the cinema had already been retired, so perhaps if funds allowed, you might want to squeeze both in, as they equally have charms.  I think the cinema can be made much better inside for very little outlay too.

5 hours ago, ddavid said:

What I would like to see is some kind of grocery store or a (super)market. The GG was released a long time ago and the people living in this imaginary city can go to the many restaurants, but can’t cook sth. for themselves

I agree wholeheartedly there. Despite having previously bought the recent(ish) Friends supermarket sets in order to convert it into a modular, I would be very happy to see an official Lego version.

I think it would also fit well with the Lego corporate ethos, promoting a healthy lifestyle etc.

16 hours ago, just_one said:

Depends. On the right side, the Detective's Office is the best option by far: the lower elevation of the right portion of that building will make the large rounded teal area of the Diner seem that much taller by comparison. 

As for the left side, since it sort of falls away, if you put anything directly more adjacent to it it'll look like there's a big gap. So I recommend puttng it on the end of a street, with a road right next to it. Or just on the edge of your layout. If you absolutely need a Modular there, the Parisian Restaurant's probably the best option since there's a gap on the right side there too, so if nothing else the break in the facade will look more natural and less 'there's a big chunk of exposed wall here'. 

19 hours ago, The_Nev said:

PR is going to be retired first, which would leave you more time to acquire DD, and it's a fan favourite. Personally, I like the Diner better, and it has amazing building techniques, making it my favourite building experience by far. But I also love Brick Bank, so what do I know. :cry_happy:

5 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Depends. On the right side, the Detective's Office is the best option by far: the lower elevation of the right portion of that building will make the large rounded teal area of the Diner seem that much taller by comparison.

Yeah, I’ve not built my DD yet, but from pictures, DO seems to be the best fit (even though I think the teal slightly clashes with the dark “earth” green above the pool hall windows.

However, my main issue with this is that I think the best left-right combination is PR then DO, given that the drop in heights between the two sets, and the exposed 2nd storey detective’s office wall is looks pretty good by modular standards. Plus, in my layout, it feels like they form a nice transition between the different modular building styles.

9D6D0B33-E46C-468E-9FDE-860BCDB7D604.jpeg

2 hours ago, Brick Dangerous said:

PR is going to be retired first, which would leave you more time to acquire DD, and it's a fan favourite. Personally, I like the Diner better, and it has amazing building techniques, making it my favourite building experience by far. But I also love Brick Bank, so what do I know. :cry_happy:

I think DO and BB will be retired before PR. DO and BB have both been on sale recently. PR hasn't.

Edited by Eaglefan344

12 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

I think DD and BB will be retired before PR. DD and BB have both been on sale recently. PR hasn't.

I think you mean DO not DD.

7 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

I think DO and BB will be retired before PR. DO and BB have both been on sale recently. PR hasn't.

But haven’t the oldest modular always bean first to retire?

Edited by Bainter-ban

Just now, Bainter-ban said:

But haven’t always the oldest modular been first to retire?

Mostly, but not always.

On 10/11/2018 at 6:08 PM, just_one said:

Parisian Restaurant , probably my favourite modular.

First one i brought and fell in love with the modular line...my wallet still hates it to this day :D

Me too, PR i my favorite!

As for the Diner, here is where I placed it, not because of height but color scheme. In reality when you look from the front, it looks good. I agree, at the end of a street or as a standalone (x2) would look better, but I am happy with this solution..

44244536791_b85596b590_c.jpg

56 minutes ago, Bainter-ban said:

Sad story :(

No-one was buing it or what? Why was it discontinued so fast?

I managed to buy the PS, but the TH was already gone. It's not a bad set (mabye a bit boring), and a Town Hall is needed in every city.

Town Hall has nice color, size and this is very important building for every city. For me this is one of better modulars.