The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 9/21/2018 at 4:51 PM, just_one said:

hopefully is not a corner building as those lose a lot of space for the corner walks

On 9/21/2018 at 8:18 PM, nikhkin said:

Not really.

Although the paths take up more room, the majority of the "straight" modulars have space at the back, whereas the corners typically go up to the edge of the baseplate. Overall the area for the build is about the same. In fact, some of the corner buildings feel like they have a larger footprint than the straight ones. 

Not an issue I have, I move the pavements onto road baseplates and extend the building to suit (using a second set). My Palace Cinema actually looks big enough to be a cinema now.

Rumours on brickset forums that the next modular is green grocer rerelease. Must be taken with a large swimming pool of salt, but still, a fun rumour to discuss. I would personally be glad if this were to be true, as I haven’t got the original, and it is way too expensive to get from private resellers/investors.

Just now, Bainter-ban said:

Rumours on brickset forums that the next modular is green grocer rerelease. Must be taken with a large swimming pool of salt, but still, a fun rumour to discuss. I would personally be glad if this were to be true, as I haven’t got the original, and it is way too expensive to get from private resellers/investors.

I sincerely hope not. I'm not really fond of re-releases and think there is a ton of building types we haven't seen (postoffice, police station, museum, what not). So: please don't Lego. :classic:

Just now, Bainter-ban said:

I would say the reissue of CC and GG are the biggest Lego myths. I would love to have those but as You already said the price on a resell market is way over my budget. So I would love those, but will we get those ? I don’t know 

Just now, astra said:

I sincerely hope not. I'm not really fond of re-releases and think there is a ton of building types we haven't seen (postoffice, police station, museum, what not). So: please don't Lego. :classic:

That is fair point ! And as much I would love to get my hands on GG also I would be pissed if it will be the only modular in the next year. I would like Lego to release it in T. Mahal style. What I mean... having a rerelease and also a normal new set in normal date not a year later. Like a bonus. Maybe not even under C. Expert line 

Apparently they heard it from a lego store salesperson. Another possibility is GG being the set released on nov 1st, so therefore an addition to next year’s annual modular. It would fit nicely with the idea of lego going «green». 

If it was Taj Mahal style (in addition to, not instead of the annual release) then it would be great. Bringing the interior up to modern standards would be nice too.

I'd be surprised if they were re-releasing the Vestas Wind Turbine and Green Grocer around the same time. Also, I highly doubt the LEGO store employees know anything.

3 hours ago, Bainter-ban said:

Rumours on brickset forums that the next modular is green grocer rerelease.

I'd be happy with that. But, I'd prefer a re-release AND a new Modular, even if the new Modular is just a half-size / 16-wide release.

I'd also personally prefer any re-releases to have unique colours and maybe some changed or additional details. For example, I'd be happy with a Yellow Grocer. Or a Blue Grocer.

The only reason that i would like to buy a re-release of the GG is to make an XL version of it.. I own the Original set, but it would be nice to widen it a bit..or do a mirrorbuild or so...

Not sure what to make of this. I haven't got GG so on one hand I would love to see it re-released as it's one of the best looking early modulars in my opinion. On the other hand I would hate to see it get in the way of a brand new modular for next year. It would seem a pretty lazy effort from Lego if they replaced one of their most anticipated sets of the year with a re-release of an old set.

So I'm quite happy to see a re-release as long as we still get the usual new set as well. If they did this I can't imagine they'd release GG and the new modular close together though. Surely it would make more sense for them to have gap of maybe 6 months between each one.

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

Not sure what to make of this. I haven't got GG so on one hand I would love to see it re-released as it's one of the best looking early modulars in my opinion. On the other hand I would hate to see it get in the way of a brand new modular for next year. It would seem a pretty lazy effort from Lego if they replaced one of their most anticipated sets of the year with a re-release of an old set.

So I'm quite happy to see a re-release as long as we still get the usual new set as well. If they did this I can't imagine they'd release GG and the new modular close together though. Surely it would make more sense for them to have gap of maybe 6 months between each one.

I completely agree. It would be nice for the people who missed out on it, although the build techniques are a little bit outdated and the interior is sober in comparison to todays high standard.
Still I fear that the same thing will happen as the Winter Village series, a merely changed version of a re-release that will be that years only model.
Two releases a year will be too much, especially with the premium Modular price. As I already own the GG, this would be a real disappointment!

I have to repeat that this is still a hypothetical situation, it seems that the original source seems to be someone who only alludes to a certain possibility :wink:

5 minutes ago, Doge said:

I have to repeat that this is still a hypothetical situation, it seems that the original source seems to be someone who only alludes to a certain possibility :wink:

I'm not gonna hold my breath as it's not the first time rumors or a GG re-release have come up. I reckon a large percentage of people who buy modulars are long term collectors who probably already have GG in their collection anyway. So surely a straight re-release wouldn't make a great deal of business sense for Lego as they would be alienating many potential buyers who already own the set.

So rather than a straight re-release I think they'd make some changes like a fully fitted out interior and up to date parts and build techniques. This would obviously bump up the parts count and size of the model which I guess adds wind to the other rumors from Amazon reporting to give the dimensions and weight for the box of the next set.

Even so, it sounds as if these rumors are only based on a conversation somebody is reported to have had with a Lego store staff member. I wonder whether the staff in Lego stores would even know this far in advance about upcoming sets anyway. It's still over 3 months until January the 1st and although they'd need to make the staff aware of upcoming sets, would they really need to let them know this early?

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

I wonder whether the staff in Lego stores would even know this far in advance about upcoming sets anyway. It's still over 3 months until January the 1st and although they'd need to make the staff aware of upcoming sets, would they really need to let them know this early?

Admittedly a number of years ago, I did see a merchandising plan for a Lego store, for November of that year, back in the summer, and it showed model numbers and names on each placeholder.  So perhaps there is a grain of truth in the rumours.  It had been left on the check out desk, as the manager had been called to deal with a customer.  

I would expect Lego store staff to be more secure than this nowadays, however, with the cheap copycat spy’s lurking about.

7 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I'm not gonna hold my breath as it's not the first time rumors or a GG re-release have come up. I reckon a large percentage of people who buy modulars are long term collectors who probably already have GG in their collection anyway. So surely a straight re-release wouldn't make a great deal of business sense for Lego as they would be alienating many potential buyers who already own the set.

I don't know if my opinion is shared by others or not. I just own te newer modulars, currently PR, DO and BB, and would not at all buy a GG rerelease. I think of it as a model of the past that is there, but that is just worse than current style modulars.

Such choice would alienate those who do own it and those who don't really think it's that cool of a model anymore. A double release modular could be interesting, but I doubt Lego would put out two in a row, despite the huge Creator Expert product list for 2018.

For me, an all-new model is always the way to go. Besides, would a kid in a toy shop understand the model? I mean, it's not entirely new, because unless they really revamp it, GG feels rather outdated, but it's not old either. I know I wouldn't buy it. Besides, wouldn't a CC rerelease make more sense? Corner, first of the series...

8 minutes ago, paupadros said:

I think of it as a model of the past that is there, but that is just worse than current style modulars.

This...no. Just no.

Green Grocer remains one of the best looking modulars ever and is usually ranked correspondingly by the majority of fans. And since they unfortunately downsized the general scale of the modulars soon after, that will propably remain so for a long time.

I wouldn't mind a re-release as long as we still got a new modular on Jan 1st. I would mirror build it and pair it up with my bricklinked sand-blue version of it. That would look fantastic. Not that I have place for any more modulars right now, but still... :laugh:

Only doing a re-release and NOT releasing a new one would be yet another stupid decision by Lego's business department, though, so I hope to god that rumour is as false as it was last year.

2 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

I wouldn't mind a re-release as long as we still got a new modular on Jan 1st.

Teorethically I should be happy about the rerelease of the modular that’s at the top of my wishlist, but that would also mean Lego could rerelease some other modulars in the future, and that’s not what I would like. They would stop being as collectible as they are now.

I would rather have a modular that’s inspired by the GG or just an entirely new model. Can’t wait to see what we’ll get ;)

Edited by ddavid

Just now, ddavid said:

Teorethically I should be happy about the rerelease of the modular that’s at the top of my wishlist, but that would also mean Lego could rerelease some other modulars in the future, and that’s not what I would like. They would stop being as collectible as they are now. 

They would remain just as collectible and at the same time reduce the ridiculous aftermarket price from resellers. To me that sounds like a win for fans and Lego, who would take back a good amount of aftermarket sales.

I have zero interest in a re-released GG.

I was kinda interested in the Fire Brigade but then LEGO came out with the GBHQ and the interest in the FB went away :)

I would rather see something new with lots of cool pieces and stuff (the Downtown Diner is amazing on that score :)

I'm fine with a GG rerelease, it my only chance to get it at a reasonable price and I think many other collectors are missing it as well. 

As far as i know the rerelease of GG was an april fools hoax some years ago that seems to come up from time to time.

I wouldn't mind that though, but let TLC re introduce the Cafe Corner first. I think those sets from the early modular days
should be available to anyone who likes them, without a collector market get in the way of that.

On the other hand, a rerelease shouldn't get in the way of introducing a new set, whatever it'll be.
I've done enough guessing and betting on that one, and lost waaay too much money. :wink:

I'm on the side of "not bothered about a GG re-release". I don't think it would be quite as popular as people expect. As a few other people have stated, the build techniques are not as complex as the more recent sets, and I much prefer the more recent sets with more detailed interiors. 

Besides, I would expect them to release a Cafe Corner set before GG. It's the original set and more iconic than GG.