The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

15 hours ago, Bainter-ban said:

Dying of excitement to see this set... hope there will be some teasers or leaks soon!

Yeah, me too, but we'll have to wait at least another month for some serious leaks to come out. Every year lego is trying harder to keep its projects secret as long as possible.

I would like to know at least the name of the next modular. Every year people are guessing the same things: a post office, a police station or a museum (that are generally important to every city and should sell quite well), but they are almost never right (we partially got a bakery in AS - as a pastry shop, without bread and a policewoman in DO). I don't have any other ideas though. Maybe a supermarket (unlikely) or furniture store of some type (?). I still think a post office would fit perfectly in the series.

Now we also know that the modulars can be in very different architectural styles, but I hope for a more european, Parisian Restaurant style building, especially that it should retire soon. After Palace Cinema retired we got another very American building (DD), so a 19th centry-like style modular should be released to fill the vacant spot. But please no restaurants/diners! And this building should be a corner one, so a typical parisian one would be perfect for that. I guess another idea would be 2 half size holland style building (just like Pet Shop), that would look nice next to the Market Street.

IDK I'm just rambling to relieve my excitement a bit - I just hope I won't be dissappointed :laugh: (I still have a "second chance" to spent my money on the roumoured world building series set and the Architecture Paris Skyline).

Edited by ddavid

I'm holding out hope for a proper hotel, even though hotels were technically covered in Cafe Corner. You could have a reception area with a bit of space for eating (because we do know LEGO loves their food establishments!) and lounging about. Then the next floor could have hotel rooms for some interesting and mysterious characters to add a bit of story; and you could also have some space for the hotel workers, and a swimming pool/gym. I know that Friends has covered a lot of this in their hotel, but I think the Modular style would still be incredibly welcome.

Similarly to the Detective's Office, I think the Hotel would allow for a kid-friendly version of a mystery narrative. Where DO had a prohibition-style story using cookies, you could convert a spy/mystery style narrative into a more kid friendly story for a hotel modular. Why are these weird colourful characters all staying at the hotel? It'd be fun, I think. 

Other possible modulars I'd really love: a proper museum would be fantastic, especially to mark 60 years of the brick. You could have some of the exhibitions be nods to old LEGO sets. I'd also love a school or college, as I feel one has been pretty sorely missing; that could be mashed up with a library. 

3 hours ago, AnnaBuildsLego said:

I'm holding out hope for a proper hotel, even though hotels were technically covered in Cafe Corner. You could have a reception area with a bit of space for eating (because we do know LEGO loves their food establishments!) and lounging about. Then the next floor could have hotel rooms for some interesting and mysterious characters to add a bit of story; and you could also have some space for the hotel workers, and a swimming pool/gym. I know that Friends has covered a lot of this in their hotel, but I think the Modular style would still be incredibly welcome.

If LEGO does come out with another hotel, it would be interesting to see how they would balance out the dullness of multiple near-identical rooms with fun stuff like a story narrative and play features.

I would like to see a building that was once a factory/office (or partly still is) so you can have floor-size studio apartments that you enter via a large freight elevator, a scene that is popular in movies.

8 hours ago, AnnaBuildsLego said:

Similarly to the Detective's Office, I think the Hotel would allow for a kid-friendly version of a mystery narrative. Where DO had a prohibition-style story using cookies, you could convert a spy/mystery style narrative into a more kid friendly story for a hotel modular. Why are these weird colourful characters all staying at the hotel? It'd be fun, I think. 

Other possible modulars I'd really love: a proper museum would be fantastic, especially to mark 60 years of the brick. You could have some of the exhibitions be nods to old LEGO sets. I'd also love a school or college, as I feel one has been pretty sorely missing; that could be mashed up with a library. 

I really agree with you on this. Great points. 

On 9/12/2018 at 12:16 AM, ddavid said:

If those numbers from Amazon are true:

10264 - 6,56 kg - 58,2 x 9,1 x 48 cm

10265 - 3,93 kg - 48 x 11,8 x 28,2 cm

than one these sets will be bigger than AS (4,6 kg; 7,7 x 48 x 58,3 cm)

According to Amazon "normal sized" modulars weigh appr. 2,8 kg

meaning we could expect sets with around 5,500 pieces and 3,500 pieces.

Thanks @TheLegomane for the news!

And the modular building usually gets the first creator expert set number in each year, but 5,700 pieces seem too high. 3,500 for a 3 storey corner building are more reasonable. My guess would be that the first set is some kind of landmark or sth.

So I am wondering... If this set will have a box similar to AS and a similar number of pieces and knowing that:

1. in the last designer video we heard that we don’t have a hotel 

2. Next modular in line should be a corner building 

I think that we have a big chance of getting cafe corner with full interior. Cuz then it will have around 3.5k pieces. 

But if that theory is wrong we may have another 48x32 modular...

What You Mates think about this ? 

Also hello to all because I am new here :-))

Welcome to Eurobricks @Aleks I would love to see another modular the size of Assembly Square but my wallet would not. :laugh:

Personally and purely for financial reasons I would prefer them to stick to the current size of modulars. It's great to have the occasional special edition like Assembly Square but if they start to produce bigger sets each year then a lot of folks, myself included, just aren't going to be able to afford them.

3 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Welcome to Eurobricks @Aleks I would love to see another modular the size of Assembly Square but my wallet would not. :laugh:

Personally and purely for financial reasons I would prefer them to stick to the current size of modulars. It's great to have the occasional special edition like Assembly Square but if they start to produce bigger sets each year then a lot of folks, myself included, just aren't going to be able to afford them.

That’s a fair point. Buying set as big as AS yearly would be expensive :/

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

30 minutes ago, Aleks said:

That’s a fair point. Buying set as big as AS yearly would be expensive :/

I agree. Besides, there's another operational hazard; I build my city on 32x32 baseplates. That's my rule of thumb going forwards. And I know that lots of other people do the same. Modular Buildings are good because they stick to the 32x32 setup. Assembly Square, on the other hand - I'm going to have to bend over backwards to accomodate that 32x48 footprint in my layout. (Since I don't have Market Street or Pet Shop.) Nit to mention, if Modulars start taking up more space, it leaves less room for my own MOCs. And I don't want that. 

18 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I agree. Besides, there's another operational hazard; I build my city on 32x32 baseplates. That's my rule of thumb going forwards. And I know that lots of other people do the same. Modular Buildings are good because they stick to the 32x32 setup. Assembly Square, on the other hand - I'm going to have to bend over backwards to accomodate that 32x48 footprint in my layout. (Since I don't have Market Street or Pet Shop.) Nit to mention, if Modulars start taking up more space, it leaves less room for my own MOCs. And I don't want that. 

I feel they would be more successful releasing 1 modular on a 32x32 and another one on a 16x32 rather than doing another 32x48.

I'm sure TLG will surprise us with another excellent building with things we haven't talked about! We just have to wait a bit more and then we will start saving money again to get it on the first of january 2019!

I have been told by someone who orders from LEGO that the next modular is a service station. Will have to wait and see if that is true. :)

Just now, AllanSmith said:

I have been told by someone who orders from LEGO that the next modular is a service station. Will have to wait and see if that is true. :)

I wouldn't hold too much faith in it. People who order from LEGO said it was a service station this time last year as well. 

42 minutes ago, nikhkin said:

I wouldn't hold too much faith in it. People who order from LEGO said it was a service station this time last year as well. 

True.. there were some rumours about a servicestation...  I was also wondering what the buildings main color would be.....

2 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

True.. there were some rumours about a servicestation...  I was also wondering what the buildings main color would be.....

I wonder if this is a hark back to the fake leak we had last year I think, in which a good mock up of a box was seen with a complete, if ugly looking gas station was shown. I’ll try to remind the picture.

On 10/25/2017 at 12:33 PM, just_one said:

Found this on a facebook group im a part of...

probably fake but hey...anything is possible lol

22730252_1499086493511874_1153241610710993502_n.jpg?width=340&height=606

This is the one I mean.

On 9/20/2018 at 7:38 AM, nikhkin said:

Yeah, and it could have been partially true. On YouTube there is a video where the designer tells that the Diner was intended to be a car dealership, but it didn’t work because of the too small footprint.

i think we will get a normal size modular , the Assembly square was a special event (10 year anniversary), hopefully is not a corner building as those lose a lot of space for the corner walks

3 hours ago, just_one said:

lose a lot of space for the corner walks

Not really.

Although the paths take up more room, the majority of the "straight" modulars have space at the back, whereas the corners typically go up to the edge of the baseplate. Overall the area for the build is about the same. In fact, some of the corner buildings feel like they have a larger footprint than the straight ones. 

19 hours ago, just_one said:

i think we will get a normal size modular , the Assembly square was a special event (10 year anniversary), hopefully is not a corner building as those lose a lot of space for the corner walks

I have recently been making a corner building myself. The piece count on corners grows fairly quickly as there's two full façades to be built, whereas in a straight modular, there's one full-on façade and another one which an be pretty half-baked.

I would say BB's height is about as tall as you can get with a corner unit as long as you stay in the 2500 piece mark and keep all the interior detail Lego have us used to.

23 hours ago, paupadros said:

I would say BB's height is about as tall as you can get with a corner unit as long as you stay in the 2500 piece mark and keep all the interior detail Lego have us used to.

But if those numbers are true:

10265 - 3,93 kg - 48 x 11,8 x 28,2 cm

they should result in ca. 3.500 pc (with the same pc/kg density like in DD)

A lot of modular MOCs have 3.000-3.500 pieces, so I guess a 3 story corner building will work.

So the price should be hovering around 205€/245$

That’s unfortunate, cause the familiar 150€ mark seemed to be a prefect balance between overall looks and price. On the other hand a 3rd in the row two story corner building would be weird.

Edited by ddavid

1 hour ago, ddavid said:

That’s unfortunate, cause the familiar 150€ mark seemed to be a prefect balance between overall looks and price.

Over here Downtown Diner costs already €169,99.

I wouldn't mind a more fluctuating part count and price for the modulars, so that the designers could variate a lot in style, size and decorational elements.

I'm curious to see what we'll get, but I guess we'll have to wait a couple of months. Last year there weren't any leaks.

I hope for another corner building as they are very useful to make multiple small blocks of modular buildings.

On 9/23/2018 at 1:02 PM, ddavid said:

A lot of modular MOCs have 3.000-3.500 pieces, so I guess a 3 story corner building will work.

100% true. Before you know it, the 3000 piece mark is blown past; especially on corner buildings. Fair point, actually. A straight modular can have three floors and full interiors, a corner... It's a bit of a drag. If the 3000-3500 piece mark's real, then a three-story building would make absolute sense.

For me, it's been a while since I saw an official model and said "wow!". The last that did so was DO. Neither BB, nor AS and not at all the newest DD have. BB and AS have their flaws, don't have that "wow" factor. Whatever it is, the first impression for me is key. Hope they'll go real creative. :classic: