The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

It seems as if it's now official that the new Winter Village set is going to be a Fire Station. Therefore I think it's less likely that we'll see a modular police station in January, maybe I'm wrong but I can't imagine them doing 2 creator expert sets in a row based on emergency services.

2 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

Me too! I also hope that it is a single purpose building. And that the facade is the highlight (as opposed to the interiors) since that is what you’re looking at 99% of the time. 

Yes, especially when they are in a layout, like mine, or when the modulars are on a shelf....  Well, 4 months to go, and then we might open the new modular 2019 box...

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

It seems as if it's now official that the new Winter Village set is going to be a Fire Station. Therefore I think it's less likely that we'll see a modular police station in January, maybe I'm wrong but I can't imagine them doing 2 creator expert sets in a row based on emergency services.

Yep.  I think you’re right there.

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

Well you never now! They are most likely releasing a hole wave of fire fighters in city this winter :tongue:

29 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

Yep.  I think you’re right there.

Here's another reason I think a police station is unlikely for next year

If they did one, I can imagine the most likely scenario is that they'd design it as a stereotype American cop precinct. It would probably have a few jokey pop culture references thrown in like a dough nut street vendor or something like that. :laugh: They could do a European police station but I reckon an American one would be much more likely. I also can't imagine a police station being made without it including a police car.

So following DD this would mean them releasing 2 modulars in row that both include vehicles and both rely heavily on American culture. I suppose there's no reason that couldn't happen but I think it's more likely they'll approach a different, less American style for the next one. I do think a police station has lots of potential as a future modular but maybe not for 2019.

Wishful thinking on my part but Would love to see a single use type building like a museum, the exterior could be traditional or modern. I could also imagine the interior having amazing details. I think the release of the Arctic sets and the new city square set 60200, teasing a museum got me thinking about a modular detailed one.. one can hope... With the stamped down on leaks and early info/rumours does this mean we won’t get anything until official release, I forget when around about would that be? If it’s a January release? 

5 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Here's another reason I think a police station is unlikely for next year

If they did one, I can imagine the most likely scenario is that they'd design it as a stereotype American cop precinct. It would probably have a few jokey pop culture references thrown in like a dough nut street vendor or something like that. :laugh: They could do a European police station but I reckon an American one would be much more likely. I also can't imagine a police station being made without it including a police car.

So following DD this would mean them releasing 2 modulars in row that both include vehicles and both rely heavily on American culture. I suppose there's no reason that couldn't happen but I think it's more likely they'll approach a different, less American style for the next one. I do think a police station has lots of potential as a future modular but maybe not for 2019.

I agree, and another factor that supports this is the policewoman from DO.

4 hours ago, AusMinifig said:

Wishful thinking on my part but Would love to see a single use type building like a museum, the exterior could be traditional or modern. I could also imagine the interior having amazing details. I think the release of the Arctic sets and the new city square set 60200, teasing a museum got me thinking about a modular detailed one.. one can hope... With the stamped down on leaks and early info/rumours does this mean we won’t get anything until official release, I forget when around about would that be? If it’s a January release? 

Usually leaks appear in sept-oct, but last year was different. Nothing was showed until sometine in november. Quite unusual. Hope we see something before that.

I look forward to people getting their hopes of for ideas of grandeur, then the set gets leaked, everyone is horribly disappointed by it because their hype went too high, and then they start to argue that it is a fake, then it gets confirmed for real, then people say "Well it's not that bad"....

you know, what happens every year. 

3 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I look forward to people getting their hopes of for ideas of grandeur, then the set gets leaked, everyone is horribly disappointed by it because their hype went too high, and then they start to argue that it is a fake, then it gets confirmed for real, then people say "Well it's not that bad"....

That's what happened to me last year. All but the last part. I still think that the dinner looks bad

3 minutes ago, TheLegomane said:

That's what happened to me last year. All but the last part. I still think that the dinner looks bad

When I first saw the leak, I really did not like the diner. I believed it was real though. 

Then the official photo came out. Changed to, "eh it's okay I guess". 

Got the set because "gotta catch em all'. Opinion went to "It was fun to build but I still really dislike this style". 

On 9/4/2018 at 4:11 AM, Agent 86 said:

Me too! I also hope that it is a single purpose building. And that the facade is the highlight (as opposed to the interiors) since that is what you’re looking at 99% of the time. 

I’d like to see them go back to Green Grocer approach to interiors, fill out the business portion nicely since it’s all windows, then leave the other floors more open. Good price point as well.

On 9/8/2018 at 4:46 AM, Vindicare said:

I’d like to see them go back to Green Grocer approach to interiors, fill out the business portion nicely since it’s all windows, then leave the other floors more open. Good price point as well.

I honestly prefer their current style. Shorter but overall more rounded and finer designs (most the times). I've tried with my own modular MOCs, a building similar in size to GG with full interiors/easter eggs and all that sort of thing goes to about 3500-4000 pieces. The Diner was already made a very skinny modular (I have no problem in that at all) for it not to have a huge piece count. According to the trend, this year is "corner year", interested in how they'll make it good without it being too part heavy.

On 9/8/2018 at 12:46 PM, Vindicare said:

I agree. If there are big windows, I’m happy to have a glimpse of a more detailed inside. And I don’t mind a few interior details to give a clear suggestion of other rooms, which then can be expanded upon / filled in. But, I think the facade should always be the focus.

5 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

I agree. If there are big windows, I’m happy to have a glimpse of a more detailed inside. And I don’t mind a few interior details to give a clear suggestion of other rooms, which then can be expanded upon / filled in. But, I think the facade should always be the focus.

For just display, the interiors don't get much appreciation, but I think they make the build itself more fun, varied and interesting. There are some details that are only visible for the builder, like a mouse hole.

But when you're creating modulars yourself, one has to agree that the interior is usually a lot more of a challenge.

Just to make everything fit and work in the interior is quite harder than created a nice facade. Just my two cents. 

5 hours ago, badbob001 said:

For just display, the interiors don't get much appreciation, but I think they make the build itself more fun, varied and interesting. There are some details that are only visible for the builder, like a mouse hole.

I think different built elements / building techniques appeal to different people.

I rarely find any "interior" element particularly interesting. I don't get a major ... "kick" out of building a fridge, ping pong table, pool table, ceiling fan, chandelier, etc.

But, I really love it when unique elements and building techniques are used to created an in-depth, detailed façade with differing set-backs, indents, etc.

At the end of the day, the Modulars, at least for the time being, appear to be embracing fully detailed interiors. Which is good for those who like them. I just personally favour those elements being used to create "bigger" buildings which also then provides greater scope for more varied façade details between floors, on the roof, etc.

On 9/7/2018 at 1:25 PM, Goldenmasamune said:

It's like a christmas tradition :laugh: 

I am predicting at some point we may get a small pharmacy as part of a double building in the same fashion as the bank. The 'illuminated' green cross is seen almost everywhere around the world, probably not enough material to fill a huge room though.

3 minutes ago, snaillad said:

I am predicting at some point we may get a small pharmacy as part of a double building in the same fashion as the bank. The 'illuminated' green cross is seen almost everywhere around the world, probably not enough material to fill a huge room though.

I kind of doubt that a green cross would be included in a Lego set. It may be a symbol for a pharmacy in much of the world, but in certain parts of the United States, it always signifies a medical cannabis dispensary. Lego employs enough American designers that I imagine someone would catch that.

57 minutes ago, Still Raindrop said:

I kind of doubt that a green cross would be included in a Lego set. It may be a symbol for a pharmacy in much of the world, but in certain parts of the United States, it always signifies a medical cannabis dispensary. Lego employs enough American designers that I imagine someone would catch that.

Well I suppose they could change the colour if it has those connotations. Probably a bit too soon for Lego to make a dispensary part of their town :laugh:

I'd like a single use building, but I don't know what, so long as it isn't a police station.  Probably already said, but I'm pretty sure it's a corner building as CC (2007), GE (2010), PC (2013) and BB (2016) were all corner buildings, so ?? (2019) should be a corner building too.  I'm hoping for a 16x32 modular building too at some point to make AS work better with the others and still include everything.  Another set like PS that can be divided in two would also be good.

On 9/7/2018 at 3:25 PM, Goldenmasamune said:

It's an endless cycle.

13 hours ago, snaillad said:

I did a small pharmacy for my latest models. Certainly not an interior that works for a big space, but a small wooden counter and hundreds of bottles around it might look fine. Waht funny interior combos could they do? Like Bank/Laundromat or Cake Shop/Dentist? I've just realised that 2019 is Landmark year following the 2013-2016-2019 trend, but since the Taj Mahal was rereleased, I'm not so sure about it.

By the rumors I heard I think the code 10264 because it leaves on the 1st of January.
And it has box dimensions 58.2 x 9.1 x 48 cm, that's what they said, without certainty because things can still change.
If it is correct I think it will be great to modulate.

It could be anything. ;)

Edited by CapitaoHook