The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Indeed, even a gaming arcade (as suggested by some) may be too borderline in that respect. 

Brickset features the 1982 6362 Post Office as random set of the day. As mentioned by many, a post office would be quite fun as a modular building. However, I hope the upcoming modulars will continue moving to more modern styles of architecture and I don't immediately associate that with post offices. 

Maybe a modern art museum :classic:

I don't think a post office will do anymore. It seems to be something of a bygone age nowadays.

It's a bit of the same thing with a copy print shop i used to go to in the late 90ties.
I loved thos places with their huge print copymachines, paper cutters etc. They don't really exist anymore do they?

On the other hand, i don't see why a mobile phone store would be appealing...
Perhaps a gaming or bowling arcade might work, or a gym/fitness centre?... 
Is a library still an option?

Edited by Jasper Joppe Geers

Jamie placed the series in a particular timeframe in an interview recently, and although the interview is about progressing beyond the comfort zone, the eighties/nineties might be a bit of a leap:

Jamie Berard: This is not written down or anything but I think they are. In my opinion, it is in the first half of the last century, this separates it from what people know today. Whenever it is not your reality you can take the best of it, you can imagine it in a fantasy-like way. So it would be a bit of a shame if we went today, you would have all these preconceived notions about things about what you know today, good and bad.

Part of the charm is that it is a made up street in another time, similar to the Winter Village series. A world that you can escape to where people are just deliriously naïve.

I do agree, I think a museum with the centre piece of a skeleton T-Rex would be awesome, with some of those side displays like cavemen in a cordoned off area (typical to the film 'a night at the museum") 

A school with classrooms, gymnasium, chemistry lab, principal office, little supply store, music classroom, art classroom, geography with maps all around... or hospital with an emergency room, X-ray room, laundry, cafeteria, pharmacy, etc  Soooo many possibilities !

A museum would be great, especially if the exhibits had throwbacks to classic Lego themes. Something like a miniature Black Seas Barracuda replica from Pirates, Crusaders vs. Black Falcons from Castle, Johnny Thunder's Egypt expedition from Adventurers etc. Things that celebrates Lego's own history.

2 hours ago, wesker said:

A museum would be great, especially if the exhibits had throwbacks to classic Lego themes. Something like a miniature Black Seas Barracuda replica from Pirates, Crusaders vs. Black Falcons from Castle, Johnny Thunder's Egypt expedition from Adventurers etc. Things that celebrates Lego's own history.

That would be fantastic. :sweet: To be honest it would have been a great way of celebrating classic sets as part of the 60th Anniversary this year.

A museum would be great i think. Lets have a list of options so far:
- Museum
- Hotel
- Post Office
- Gas Station
- Library
- Gaming Arcade
- Police Station
- Hospital
- Pizzeria
- School
- Flower Shop
- DIY Store
- Vet
- Pharmacy

Plenty to choose from if you ask me.. Any other suggestions?

Isn't flower shop and hotel already covered by Assembly Square and Cafe Corner respectively?

Some other ideas:

Art Gallery/Art Studio

Apartment Block

Tailor/Suit/Dress shop (ongoing wedding theme)

Mechanic/Garage

Public Works

Italian Restaurant (is there a city anywhere that doesn't have one)

Spanish Architecture (pipedream?)

Courthouse (so much police, so few trials)

Asian Cuisine

Love the art gallery/studio @koalayummies!

I think police station is covered by Detective Office, I like the subtle angle of it.. Or like Pet Shop replacing a Zoo...That's why I believe an art gallery would be a better fit than an art museum for the modular line.. even though a natural museum would do it, not sure a subtle version of it would be effective, or perhaps an antique shop with all sorts of old stuff..

- Video tape renting store (ok, DVD for millenials)

- Complete apartment block (Art deco style)

- A master house

- A 16 wide sort of skyscraper

- Car dealer

- A park - Not appealing for new customers

- A town square (no buildings) - Not appealing for new customers

- A bridge (for those who would integrate a river or those who would integrate the Ninjago City and Docks set and make a river to continue through the city) - Not appealing for new customers - BUT THERE IS WATER IN EVERY SINGLE CITY.. they are built around it..

- A tower/gate (like tower bridge without the bridge)

- School

- Skate park 

- Building with inside shopping lane like we can see in Italy (a big empty square in the middle and shops all around)

- Building with arcade shopping lane

- Start the suburb of our modular city - individual houses like creator houses but in expert mode

- Subway station - this is not reasonable, but would be fun for those having multiple story cities - Not appealing for new customers

- Does not come here, but a new monorail would be fantastic

- A theatre/opera

- A swimming pool - actually would be more fun along the fairground sets, with toboggans and so on..

- More beach or marine theme buildings to go with the Old Fishing Store

- etc..

Edited by SwissBrick

On 8/21/2018 at 3:28 PM, Honbushu said:

Brickset features the 1982 6362 Post Office as random set of the day. As mentioned by many, a post office would be quite fun as a modular building. However, I hope the upcoming modulars will continue moving to more modern styles of architecture and I don't immediately associate that with post offices. 

Edited by valenciaeric

On 8/21/2018 at 6:47 AM, Johnmeel said:

Jamie placed the series in a particular timeframe in an interview recently, and although the interview is about progressing beyond the comfort zone, the eighties/nineties might be a bit of a leap:

Jamie Berard: This is not written down or anything but I think they are. In my opinion, it is in the first half of the last century, this separates it from what people know today. Whenever it is not your reality you can take the best of it, you can imagine it in a fantasy-like way. So it would be a bit of a shame if we went today, you would have all these preconceived notions about things about what you know today, good and bad.

Part of the charm is that it is a made up street in another time, similar to the Winter Village series. A world that you can escape to where people are just deliriously naïve.

I'm not going to deny the wonderful ideas all of you have come up with.  But if I'm thinking in that sort of line of thinking, a newspaper immediately comes to mind.  Almost like a "Daily Planet" type of building.  That screams first half of the last century to me.  A simpler, more naive time.  1930s/1940s style building.  Or maybe a combo newspaper/radio/television studio.  With the big radio mics, and the big studio cameras.

The 2019 Modular will be a petrol service station with a pet shop above :)

Edited by AllanSmith

10 minutes ago, AllanSmith said:

(My guess is) the 2019 Modular will be a petrol service station :)

Even with so many cars in sets being obviously EVs?

Honestly can't wait for news of the upcoming modular!

Lots of things I'd like to see, but I think an interesting way to guess what the future holds is to look at what has been done in the past:

Cafe, hotel, market, apartment, green grocer, apartment, fire station, department store, pet shop, apartment, townhouse, town hall, cinema, restaurant, apartment, pool hall, barber shop, detective's office, apartment, bank, laundromat, cafe, florist, bakery, music shop, photography studio, dentist, dance studio, apartment, diner, boxing gym, recording studio.

So I don't think it will be a food-based establishment, and I don't think it will be anything already done, as only apartments and cafes have been repeated, and the 2nd cafe was a tribute to the first. From the list of options posted above, that leaves museum, post office, gas station, library, gaming arcade, police station, hospital, school, DIY store, vet and pharmacy.

If they are deliberately sticking to the straight-straight-corner pattern, then gas station would be a big contender, as I think it could only really be done on a corner plate. It would obviously need at least one car, and I'm not sure if they would do a car in a set two years in a row, although the designer for the diner did say that they enjoy having a car in the build. I'm not sure about a hospital or school, as I don't think you'd normally see them in the main street of a town, but they could work. I think that a doctor's surgery would be more suited to the series than a full hospital though. I'd really like to see a post office, library, police station or museum, and think that they are very likely candidates. A gaming arcade is another that I'd like to see, but I feel like they wouldn't do it straight after that ideas project got rejected at the final stage. I think a vet would be too similar to the pet shop to work well, and I'm not sure about a pharmacy or DIY store, but they could potentially work.

Personally, I think out of all the options a post office is most likely, but honestly I'm expecting something completely unexpected, I think the series has taken a new turn with the diner, and am very excited to see what happens next!

39 minutes ago, The_Nev said:

If they are deliberately sticking to the straight-straight-corner pattern, then gas station would be a big contender, as I think it could only really be done on a corner plate. It would obviously need at least one car, and I'm not sure if they would do a car in a set two years in a row, although the designer for the diner did say that they enjoy having a car in the build.

I agree ! When the DD was released, I immediately thought it would be great next to a automobile repair shop / petrol station. It could look really great. With two nice cars added in. I thought the car from the DD was great actually.

1. automoble repair shop / petrol station 2. museum 3. post office would be my favourites

Just wanted to address some rumors that have started floating around on other sites that the next modular set is going to be my MOC "Brick Square Post Office".

Anyone here familiar with my MOC modulars will know that I like to present my images using similar backgrounds, camera angles etc to the official modulars. A couple of examples below.

41588206725_aae046956d.jpg 39772259000_7230f6853b.jpg

Yesterday I created a new image of the Post Office that basically looked like official Creator Expert box art but with my model photoshopped on to the box. I had made this image to share on my Instagram page. I have posted lots of pics of the Post Office on Instagram and it is pretty well known as being a MOC, so I didn't expect that anyone would think the picture was real, and it was just intended to be a new and different way of presenting the model. I realise now that it was perhaps a step too far though. :blush: It seems that some people thought the image was a leak of the next modular and it has since started to pop up on a couple of other sites. As soon as I noticed this I deleted the image from my Instagram.

I apologise if anyone saw the image and thought it was real, I certainly didn't intend to trick anyone.

Edited by Bricked1980

23 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Spanish Architecture (pipedream?)

I'm always interested when someone says "Spanish Architecture". I am technically spanish and don't have a clear idea of a typical building (unlike Italy, for instance).

DD opened up an old idea which I thought had been abandoned: one huge single business ground floor. If designed by Mike, my bet's on a Vinyl Store. I bet that would be bloody awesome. About architecture itself (the main draw for me to a building, obviously), I just like being surprised. I only hope they use yellow or orange as main façade colours as it can work pretty brilliantly (:shrug_oh_well:ASIT)

I believe they said in one of the videos for the Downtown Diner that they wanted to do a car dealership but had difficulty fitting it all in due to the space available.

I think a petrol station doesn't really fit (the typical image of a petrol station, even an old petrol station, isn't one in the bottom of a taller building).

More medical would definitely be welcome (especially if its something different like the Dentist in the Downtown Diner was)

Hopefully whatever it is has as many neat parts and things as the Detective's Office, Brick Bank, Assembly Square and Downtown Diner.

when I think about a new modular, I wonder also about the interior: what kind of furniture or accessories will make its decor. Although a library or record store would be “useful” to my city, it seems to me that it would be a little bit repetitive (bookshelves, display tables for records, a cashier or computer etc, things already seen on other modulars and not very specific) ; sure, some apartments could be seen on the second and third and even fourth floor , but I think we need some new innovative articles; indeed, a museum could be interesting in that way ( if not a school or  hospital...)

While the above post office moc looks good on the outside, I just can't think how a post office could be an 'exciting' set. 

'put all the letters on the conveyor belt while the sorting guy sorts the mail. Fill the van up with... mail... Help the guy behind the counter give the customer their... missed parcel... 

Accessories:

15 letters (2x2 tiles) 

4 parcels (2x2 tiles with 2x2 brick)

Missed delivery card (1x1 printed tile) 

I just can't see it... 

Edited by Fuppylodders

4 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

While the above post office moc looks good on the outside, I just can't think how a post office could be an 'exciting' set. 

Let's not forget that this theme also includes such exciting moments as:

• Pop to the grocery store to buy some carrots
  • Make sure you get your wedding license at the town hall
  • Time to check into the hotel!

This theme can do whatever the designer wants.