The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

7 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

I may actually try my hand at doing my first moc modular, in the style of DD for a car dealership :sweet:

I'm actually looking forward to it now! Haven't done anything in ages (years :blush:) and I feel it'll be a good challenge.

Cool, I'm glad this small discussion here has inspired you! Anything you have in mind as to how it may look, perhaps in terms of color for starts? :sweet:

40 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Cool, I'm glad this small discussion here has inspired you! Anything you have in mind as to how it may look, perhaps in terms of color for starts? :sweet:

I'm well out of the loop in that style of building so I need to do some research and see what comes up, what colours to use for highlight accents, the main wall colours, what type of signage to use, how to make it look interesting with some kind of interesting technique that I'll be looking to figure out on my own from inspiration of the real buildings... I also need to decide on 2 cars. One I'm thinking family car, and the other a sporty car... And what to put on the second floor! So much to consider :oh3:

On 5/21/2018 at 11:58 AM, Bricked1980 said:

I've found this MOC which features a corner modular with car wash.

7886082256_0875997c60_z_d.jpg

There are more pics on Flickr...  https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevin8/sets/72157631301835298/

Neat.  That's almost exactly what I imagined one would look like! I think that would be a great addition to the modular line.  It would allow people to display cars more than just in park or on the road driving!

On 5/21/2018 at 11:58 AM, Bricked1980 said:

I've found this MOC which features a corner modular with car wash.

7886082256_0875997c60_z_d.jpg

There are more pics on Flickr...  https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevin8/sets/72157631301835298/

It's nicely done, but not very realistic. Are there car washes where you have to back out to leave? Should have a rear exit for the car like the Fire Brigade. May work better as a repair shop. It certainly looks modular, where it looks like the top part of an old building is stacked on top of a newer structure.

Car wash, gas station... This is ridiculous. We need much more hospital, museum, library,small theater, school, police station. Maybe antique shop or some buildings with character and charm. 

On the subject of car related modulars I remember this petrol station being featured in the forum last year, and for a short time some people thought this was actually going to be the 2018 modular.

%B7%B9%B0%ED_%C6%E4%C5%B0%C1%F6.jpg

I've never seen a multi floor petrol station before though, definitely not in the UK anyway. So not sure a petrol station in the usual format of the modular buildings would ever work all that well.

A car sales/showroom or a garage could definitely work though.

41 minutes ago, Ogist said:

Car wash, gas station... This is ridiculous. We need much more hospital, museum, library,small theater, school, police station. Maybe antique shop or some buildings with character and charm. 

As long as no one suggests "railway station". How would you even fit such a thing into 32x32 where both ends are blocked? 

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

On the subject of car related modulars I remember this petrol station being featured in the forum last year, and for a short time some people thought this was actually going to be the 2018 modular.

I don't blame them, as that's pretty convincing mock-up box art there! 

4 hours ago, Ogist said:

Maybe antique shop or some buildings with character and charm. 

An antique store would be a most eclectically wonderful choice! :thumbup: :blush:

%B7%B9%B0%ED_%C6%E4%C5%B0%C1%F6.jpg

I've never seen a multi floor petrol station before though, definitely not in the UK anyway. So not sure a petrol station in the usual format of the modular buildings would ever work all that well.

Not exactly in the Modular style, but this BP station at 12th St. and Highnland Ave in Milwaukee, WI is pretty close.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N12+%26+Highland+%23779,+Milwaukee,+WI+53233/@43.0444445,-87.9271612,3a,75y,308.51h,91.5t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sP2oF2F3v9ZkQ-Y_xkQ4Scg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x8805197966ad171d:0xe9865fd509647458

Sal

8 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

You do see them a lot more in mainland Europe.  Especially Italy.  We have a few here in Switzerland too.

13 hours ago, Kalahari134 said:

As long as no one suggests "railway station". How would you even fit such a thing into 32x32 where both ends are blocked? 

The train tracks would be perpendicular to the street.

On 5/24/2018 at 11:58 PM, Bricked1980 said:

On 5/25/2018 at 4:21 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I don't blame them, as that's pretty convincing mock-up box art there! 

There are some more photos of this MOC here and here if anyone is interested...

A train station? Only something like the ones below may work without creating much difficulties for people displaying their modulars on shelves. And the people displaying their modulars in their cities could expand the rails... Some examples below:

Trackside Lofts by @gotoAndLego 

Spoiler

Trackside Lofts

Central Station by @Giacinto Consiglio and Modular Train Station by @LegoWolf

Spoiler

Back facade

Spoiler

Train Station Diorama Rear

Train Station Front Above

Central Station by @Teddy 

Spoiler

CentralstationBackview

CentralstationMainview

I also wouldn't mind at all if we got a smaller station like the Studdington Station by @snaillad

Spoiler

Studdington Station

However I'm not sure if we will get a train station soon as we just got one in the winter village theme even though I'm not sure if/how much winter village theme affects the modulars line... In fact, does any other themes affect the modulars? For instance do you guys think we still could get a modular hotel as Mike mentioned in the designer video of the DD considering we got a detailed hotel in the Capital City set?

Edited by LegoModularFan

2 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

If Lego were to attempt a train station for the modular building line, this is how I'd personally wish to see the tracks laid out.

2 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

I also wouldn't mind at all if we got a smaller station like the Studdington Station by @snaillad

...but, ultimately, this is how I'd prefer an Expert train station to be done, as a standalone build rather than a modular.

On 5/24/2018 at 2:58 PM, Bricked1980 said:

You can see gas stations like that in Tokyo, in fact that one is a really good homage. The pumps are obviously ground level but the awning is often two stories up like that and built inside/attached to a multi-story structure with some even inset on a high-rise.

Here's a very interesting interview with Jamie Berrard talking about creator expert in general, but from around 12:30 in to the video he talks about the diner and how much input he had in the design. He also mentions the possibility that he might get the chance to design the modulars again at some point in the future.

Here's a very interesting interview with Jamie Berrard talking about creator expert in general, but from around 12:30 in to the video he talks about the diner and how much input he had in the design.

Two of the most interesting points I found discussed from that point on were focused upon the topics of incorporating Dark Turquoise (a.k.a. Teal) into the Downtown Diner and the issue of the design team's thoughts on lower priced Creator Expert sets.

Apparently, Dark Turquoise was being reintroduced for the Elves sets, not the Diner necessarily; and, regarding lower priced Creator Expert sets (below the US $99.99 price range), it's not out of the question, but it does help keep the Three-In-One and Expert lines distinct. Still, regarding that last point, I do wonder if half-width modular buildings may ever be on the table for future consideration. :shrug_oh_well:

Can someone who has all the modulars (including MS) tell me how tall they are? I know that Lego provided height measures to the sets, but they turned out to be inaccurate. For instance, GE is said to be 38 cm, but in reality it's 42...

It’s been a bit quiet on here for the last month.  Has anyone got any inkling of what’s next in our modular range? No leaks or suggestions have been forthcoming as far as I can tell. Not sure what sort of time of year we usually get hints. 

10 hours ago, jus1973 said:

Has anyone got any inkling of what’s next in our modular range? 

As I've speculated eariler, I somewhat feel that the modular line could be taking a turn towards more institutions that are centered around "fun" so to speak. I could very well be wrong, but I sort of could see us getting stuff like pizzerias, videogame arcades, Chinese take-out restaurants, comic book stores, skating rinks, and other geeky institutions, if you will. 

On 6/4/2018 at 5:18 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Still, regarding that last point, I do wonder if half-width modular buildings may ever be on the table for future consideration. :shrug_oh_well:

I think at least one would be good, to ´even up’ after assembly square.

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

As I've speculated eariler, I somewhat feel that the modular line could be taking a turn towards more institutions that are centered around "fun" so to speak. I could very well be wrong, but I sort of could see us getting stuff like pizzerias, videogame arcades, Chinese take-out restaurants, comic book stores, skating rinks, and other geeky institutions, if you will. 

Now, being a nerd, that would suit me VERY nicely!

Also, the idea of a 16x32 modular is interesting, but in that case, I would very much prefer a release like Pet shop: two 16x32 buildings in one set.
But I'm not all too demanding, as long as I get my yearly fix of a new modular.

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Knowing Mike is in charge of most Creator Expert sets, this is not at all unlikely. For me it's always exterior, and if it's nice, really don't care what's inside. Although, as in DD, the contents of the interior kind of compulsory required an exterior to match it. I've recently been experimenting with odder shapes in modulars. I would really like them to tackle windowed sections and curves, although they are VERY complicated to add to a regular modular. Seeing what Mike did with DD, cover the gaps between the floors, I feel the evident gaps are long gone and banished forever from Modular Land. I would really like to see tilting façades and so on, but it would collide with the rule of repeatable and continuously stackable floors. If Mike does the modular, we can expect something American, my bet, something Brutalist :grin: