The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 26/04/2018 at 3:46 PM, danimarroquin said:

how about a 60s airport terminal , just the terminal and a really old prop plane ! kind of like this xmas building city

https://www.google.com/search?q=Christmas+In+The+City+airport&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCnszhiNjaAhXJct8KHShOCmkQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=962#imgrc=Tkh4lDDF1KvTsM:

and maybe you could create your own runway !

https://www.google.com/search?q=Christmas+In+The+City+airport&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCnszhiNjaAhXJct8KHShOCmkQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=962#imgrc=lU12-HeNOCetHM:

the Gothic train station doesn't have to be that big . just a few plates long , but not as short as the holiday one !

Not sure I’ve seen many airport down the local city high street, but the train station idea does seem popular.  I think that might be something TLG might do if they release a minifig compatible expert train.  Not sure how likely that is though.  The last one I believe is highly sought after, but rare as rocking horse poop.

So, now the leaked new City-set "Capitol" has an hotel....does anyone think we will get a hotel as the next modular?

The reissue of Town Plan included a cinema and town hall, which were both in the modular line. Since the new Capitol-set is sort of a successor to city square/town plans sets, I was just wondering....

58 minutes ago, Fabulandlover said:

So, now the leaked new City-set "Capitol" has an hotel....does anyone think we will get a hotel as the next modular?

Might be a possibility. The designer of the Downtown Diner (Mike someoneorother...damn I'm so bad at names...:hmpf_bad:) also dropped that strong (though factually wrong) hint that maybe they "should do a Hotel sometime" in the designer video.

4 hours ago, Fabulandlover said:

There`s also a museum and yet another hotdog stand, that does`nt implicate we`ll get that as a new modular..? :blush:

9 hours ago, Fabulandlover said:

I suppose it could indicate the next modular being a hotel. On the other hand it could also mean a hotel would be unlikely for 2019 as perhaps lego wouldn't want te release 2 hotels just 6 months apart.

To be honest I don't think anything in that city set can be considered a prelude to any future modular buildings. It's quite likely that they will do a hotel or museum modular at some point in the future but they won't be associated in any way with the ones in the city set.

My guess for the next modular is a museum. I think LEGO knows the customers want one. I also believe that one is being “built” in the Capital set is a hint. 

I do not think that the new city set either hints at or debunks the idea that the next modular will  be a hotel or a museum.  The one thing I am fairly confident with is the fact that a theoretical hotel/museum modular would not be in competition with the new city set.  In the Capital, the museum is basically a near empty trans clear shell with one exhibit.  The hotel is a couple of stories with an open back and apparently even some open space on the sides.  It appears to have a very simple lobby and maybe a max of two guest rooms with about enough space for a couple of token items.  There was a city set that had a bank heist, and there was some overlap with the Brick Bank, so that was not a problem for either line.  Then, there was the Fire Brigade, which was undoubtedly available along with at least one full City fire station.  Having seen the photos of the new city set, this is definitely not going to be a threat to the modulars.   Some sets like Ninjago City, Joker Manor, or even the Sanctum Sanctorum set might be weighed as alternatives to a modular.  The Capital?  Not so much.  

I tend to agree that using the Capitol set as a clue is possibly a fools errand. I’ve said stuff here before about what I’d like to see, and as with many of the others, it’s generally hospital, museum, train station, police station.  

Lets be honest, whatever it is, 90% of us will buy it regardless.  

9 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

The one thing I am fairly confident with is the fact that a theoretical hotel/museum modular would not be in competition with the new city set. 

I agree. Lego city and creator modulars are aimed at different areas of the market. Even if they did release a modular museum or hotel I don't think lego would be worried about one competingtwith the other. 

Changing the subject slightly. I wonder how long it will be before we start to hear rumors of the next modular. Obviously I realise it is still much too early in the year yet and last year we didn't hear anything at all until November. I'm pretty sure the year before though that we started to hear whispers and rumors of assembly square during the summer months. Hope we don't have to wait until November again without so much as a rumor or two.

How is everyone feeling about the Diner now that it's been out a few months? 

I bought it at launch, and I'm trying to love it but I don't really like it. The build has some really great design elements, but I don't like the overall look of the building, or how it looks with other modulars. 

3 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I bought it at launch, and I'm trying to love it but I don't really like it. The build has some really great design elements, but I don't like the overall look of the building, or how it looks with other modulars. 

I still love it. It's a nice change and can't wait for what the next one will be.

I love the Downtown Diner and will add it to my collection once I can pick one up on sale (and assuming funds allow). Its available in Australia at a retailer than I am sure will have it for at least 20% off at some point in the future.

15 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

Probably the worst modular since Market Street

I really like the Diner.  It doesn't fit in too well with the others but I hope LEGO starts releasing more than do match that decor, that way we can start building up that part of town. For me, it's just the left side (with the stairs) that I have a hard time finding a place for, so it is basically at a corner for me because I don't like anything attached to that side.

3 hours ago, Ogist said:

I totally agree. This is more like "Friends on steroides".

That this is used as an insult is a great example of everything wrong with the AFOL community. :hmpf_bad:

25 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I don't understand why it's being compared to the friends line. 

Probably just because it has pink and teal. 

I love the diner. I love the colours. I love how unique it looks.

On 5/9/2018 at 2:15 PM, Lyichir said:

That this is used as an insult is a great example of everything wrong with the AFOL community. :hmpf_bad:

Agreed!

On 5/9/2018 at 7:46 PM, Terrasher said:

Probably just because it has pink and teal.

Wow, is that all it takes? Hey, kids, check this out! It's Friends on steroids!

8257-1.png

On 9.5.2018 at 12:27 AM, Goldenmasamune said:

It is different than the other modulars but it is nice, my overall feeling is positive. It was a good decision to change the style after 10 years. The weak point of the diner is its left side, it should have been designed as a corner building. It kind of is, but not really because it has the studs to connect to another building.

It doesn't look like friends at all.

Edited by legotownlinz

On 08/05/2018 at 11:27 PM, Goldenmasamune said:

I really like the diner. When it was first unveiled I admit I wasn't immediately taken with the new change of direction. It grew on me though and I think it's a lovely set and I like the bright colours and applaud the designers for trying something a bit different. Also despite the change in style I still don't think it looks too bad alongside some of the other modulars, especially assembly square and detectives office.

However as much as I like the diner, I do have to admit... I would much rather they return to the more familiar style for the 2019 modular, rather than carrying on down the new path started by the diner.

Edited by Bricked1980

6 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Agreed!

Wow, is that all it takes? Hey, kids, check this out! It's Friends on steroids!

8257-1.png

I had so much fun with that set as a kid

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

However as much as I like the diner, I do have to admit... I would much rather they return to the more familiar style for the 2019 modular, rather than carrying on down the new path started by the diner.

Something pre-1950's Americania, that is?

7 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I have to disagree, I hope they continue with the time period the diner is set in, and keep with that style. I for one am a big fan of buildings from that time period, they did "familiar style" for a good amount of time and now its time for change then new change once this style runs its course cycle.

Also I don't see how it's colors make it be compared to friends? (nothing wrong with friends great theme that fills voids city/creator doesn't provide) but just because there is pink and turquoise doesn't directly make it in the same lane as friends. If any of you are fans of Jackhammer on youtube he did an ice cream shop modular with a lot of pink yet it doesn't give friend's vibes either in my opinion. 

Yes, DD has a tendency to provoke a lot of different reactions, as we have seen in the DD topic.
Personally, I think it's great. Very nice to build and it looks terrific. It's not my favourite modular, but definitely in the top half.
We just put it in our city, and it looks fine. In our experience, it does look better next to the newer buildings (PR and up), though.

Can't wait for the 2019 modular.
It will be very interesting to see if LEGO will continue this new design line.