The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

2 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

It's your choice. I suppose it depends on how much you mind having differing styles of buildings alongside each other in your city.

Personally I think it works well to have a street containing a mixture of official modulars and mocs as well. It doesn't bother me too much if the styles of mocs and official lego sets clash as you could argue that many of the official modulars don't work all that well with each other anyway.

Differing styles isn't a big deal. You can walk down any medium/small-sized shopping street in a town IRL and find a hilarious mishmash of architectural styles and techniques from any point in the last 100 years . . at least, you can where I live. 

And I totally agree with the idea of combining official and original modulars. Take my word with a grain of salt, as I'm new to the modular scene (getting my first one, the Detective's Office, in a couple of weeks) but I think that the colour contrasts between a lot of the modulars make for some great diversity and really colourful streets. The best example of this is definitelt Assembly Square - all those colours are a real treat. Now if only it wasn't so ridiculously out of my price range . .  :(

And there's nothing wrong with interior detailing or even the occasional play feature. We all have to remember that, at heart, Lego is a toy. And perhaps the Modular Buildings are geared more towards us older fans. But is it really such a horrible idea that, every now and then, we might want to get them off the shelf, lift off the roofs to get inside the buildings, and actually play with our toys?

I can appreciate that this doesn't appeal to everyone. But don't knock Lego for sacrificing a few centimetres' worth of building height, or a bit of SNOT, for interior detailing and enabling the buildings to be more than showy facades. 

Thanks so much for the opinions @Digger of Bricks, @Bricked1980 and @Feng-huang0296! I'm more towards making a complete MOC city however I need more opinions to decide.

On 4/13/2018 at 4:30 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

What if you tried building a city made up of modulars which had a Retrofuturistic, Art Nouveau style, something perhaps in the aesthetic of Belgian artist François Schuiten's work? In a way, it could be the Art Nouveau counterpart to something like @castor-troy's Steampunk Paris! :classic:

That's a great idea although I'm not sure if I can as it would use a lot of bricks... But many thanks for the inspiration!

1 hour ago, LegoModularFan said:

That's a great idea although I'm not sure if I can as it would use a lot of bricks... But many thanks for the inspiration!

Well, it doesn't have to necessarily be a city of skyscrapers, just your typical three story modulars, but with a fantastical Art Nouveau (a.k.a. NouveauPunk) style to them. But, that all depends if you want either a more realistic city layout or more fantastical city layout. :classic:

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, it doesn't have to necessarily be a city of skyscrapers, just your typical three story modulars, but with a fantastical Art Nouveau (a.k.a. NouveauPunk) style to them. But, that all depends if you want either a more realistic city layout or more fantastical city layout. :classic:

I second that, but then again I think @Digger of Bricks and I are bias to the whole SteamPunk/ NouveauPunk/ DieselPunk idea in Lego lol 

9 minutes ago, Nexogeek said:

I second that, but then again I think @Digger of Bricks and I are bias to the whole SteamPunk/ NouveauPunk/ DieselPunk idea in Lego lol 

Don't forget me. There's no punk like Steampunk. And there's no other reason that I still have the Sky Pirates from Ninjago 2016 assembled and displayed. ^^

Shame it doesn't translate well to Modulars . . hey! How about some sort of Modular Guild Hall? Something along the lines of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

On 11/04/2018 at 10:40 PM, LegoModularFan said:

I just think it may be nice to create a new Creator Expert sub-theme for very detailed minifig-scale vehicles to go with each modular, so every fan could be glad!

I like this idea. Personally I don't mind it when lego include a vehicle in the modular sets. As long as the vehicle is relevant to the theme of the set and not just included for the hell of it.

On the other hand I think in sets like DD the parts allowance used on the pink car could have been put to better use adding more detail to the interior of the building instead.

So a separate sub theme of detailed mini fig scale vehicles designed to go with the modulars but sold separately would be great and no doubt very popular with a lot of people.

I also liked it when lego released the flower cart polybag in 2015 to go with DO. I'd like some more of these please Lego. :classic:

10 hours ago, Nexogeek said:

You know, I'm surprised I haven't yet seen anyone build a minifigure scaled Retrofuturistic, Metropolis-esque city display, something with elevated highways and railways running throughout buildings at soaring heights. I've seen plenty of Cyberpunk and Steampunk layouts, but nothing quite Decopunk yet.

114bb9746a1fafa0af5988c41189e13a.jpg

@Digger of Bricks I was towards a more realistic city, but the House of the Inventor by @fillishave (yes, I still love it) changed everything. Now, I'm more towards a more fantastic layout. Thanks to all for your opinions BTW! More opinions?

Edited by LegoModularFan

22 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

Thanks for your opinions BTW! 

You're most welcome! :sweet:

22 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

More opinions?

Well, if you are leaning towards something more fantastic (to whatever degree that may be), perhaps you could try an approach similar to what @castor-troy had done for his Steampunk Paris display. By that I mean, have your set-up made up of modular buildings of varying architectural styles seemingly belonging to what otherwise would be a realistically set display, only that all these modulars would be retrofitted with retrofuturistic technologies belonging to whatever genre you wish the display to be themed after. :classic:

15 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

You know, I'm surprised I haven't yet seen anyone build a minifigure scaled Retrofuturistic, Metropolis-esque city display, something with elevated highways and railways running throughout buildings at soaring heights. I've seen plenty of Cyberpunk and Steampunk layouts, but nothing quite Decopunk yet.

I'll have to go through my pictures and find it, but I was at Bricks Cascade in Portland, OR a few weeks back and my vote for best of show was a huge layout with a dozen or so buildings, all linked by elevated highways and railways running throughout buildings at soaring heights.  I'll look up the builder's name.  I don't know the protocol for posting references to other people's work, though.

It was quite an impressive layout.

The builders are on Instagram at @themoctologists and it's their monorail city layout.

9 hours ago, Chmashdehjare said:

I'll have to go through my pictures and find it, but I was at Bricks Cascade in Portland, OR a few weeks back and my vote for best of show was a huge layout with a dozen or so buildings, all linked by elevated highways and railways running throughout buildings at soaring heights.  I'll look up the builder's name.  I don't know the protocol for posting references to other people's work, though.

You mean this one, by Austin and Pamela Henry-Biskup?

Spoiler
Bricks Cascade 2018

I came across this display on Flickr (photographed by Chris Christian ) a little while ago, yet I couldn't find the builders' Flickr page, but now...

9 hours ago, Chmashdehjare said:

The builders are on Instagram at @themoctologists and it's their monorail city layout.

Thanks to you, now I know that they haven't a Flickr page, but an Instagram account instead! Again, thank you for finding this, as I've seen a few other displays of theirs over on Flickr (photographed by others) which I've been awestruck by, including both a Steampunk themed set-up and King Kong inspired display! :blush:

I saw a nice video of their city on youtube:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbptNDiftV4[/media]

Edited by Honbushu

11 minutes ago, Honbushu said:

I saw a nice video of their city on youtube:

I too came across this video just the other day! :sweet:

13 hours ago, Brick Dangerous said:

Please also consider that you might be due for a name change, @LegoModularFan:wink:

I can't figure out what you mean from here. Could you explain more clearly? Thanks. :classic:

12 hours ago, Brick Dangerous said:

^ "I am considering not buying anymore MOC instructions and even the official modulars"

That's what I thought you were talking about but I was not sure if I understood correctly, it looks like I did. :laugh: I still couldn't decide if I'll continue buying the official modulars... And even if I decide to not buy the official modulars anymore, that would be because makingmodular and non-modular MOCs which may not fit with the official modulars. My name isn't LegoOfficialModularsFan after all... :grin: 

I feel like another option for me is to buy the official modulars and MOD them heavily.

22 hours ago, danimarroquin said:

amazing video , I still have in my mind to have kind of a Gothic train station , and a police station similar to the FB . 

Unfortunately, I doubt a modular train station would be very practical, considering how much space tracks take up. Unless it's elevated somehow . . ?

Hi guys, I was wondering if I could get some input about my modular buildings set up. I would like to add on another building, but can only afford to purchase one. At the moment, the buildings I have (connected from left to right) are: Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, Fire Brigage, Pet Shop, and Grand Emporium. I am wondering which building you all think would compliment my street nicely. I think Detective's Office might be my personal favorite of the buildings I do not own, but I wonder if it looks maybe a little too similar to the pet shop. Thoughts? Thank you!

5 hours ago, Pizzatogo said:

Hi guys, I was wondering if I could get some input about my modular buildings set up. I would like to add on another building, but can only afford to purchase one. At the moment, the buildings I have (connected from left to right) are: Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, Fire Brigage, Pet Shop, and Grand Emporium. I am wondering which building you all think would compliment my street nicely. I think Detective's Office might be my personal favorite of the buildings I do not own, but I wonder if it looks maybe a little too similar to the pet shop. Thoughts? Thank you!

Welcome to eurobricks @Pizzatogo I would go for Parisian restaurant if I was you. Of the sets that are currently available I think this one would give the most variety compared to your existing buildings. Not to mention the fact it is one of the best modulars ever.

7 hours ago, Pizzatogo said:

I'd go for the Assembly Square. The Downtown Diner or the Parisian Restaurant might work as well.

The Detective's Office is tiny and would propably look out of place in the awesome first generation modular line-up you have. It's a completely different scale than GG or FB...

Assembly Square, on the other hand, is the same height as Pet Shop or Grand Emporium. Only possible downside I can see is that the design of AS heavily references 3 of the buildings you already own (CC, PS and GE). However, that might work in your favor as well, it's really a matter of personal taste.

11 hours ago, Pizzatogo said:

It may be best to pick up the Parisian Restaurant, considering it's the oldest Modular currently available so it's the most likely to retire at some point this year. I'm hopefully going to get it myself soon! However if the Restaurant doesn't appeal to you, go for the Detective's Office if it's your favourite!

Thank you so much for all of your thoughts! And that is a good point, I had not thought about the availability aspect! 

how about a 60s airport terminal , just the terminal and a really old prop plane ! kind of like this xmas building city

https://www.google.com/search?q=Christmas+In+The+City+airport&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCnszhiNjaAhXJct8KHShOCmkQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=962#imgrc=Tkh4lDDF1KvTsM:

and maybe you could create your own runway !

https://www.google.com/search?q=Christmas+In+The+City+airport&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiCnszhiNjaAhXJct8KHShOCmkQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=962#imgrc=lU12-HeNOCetHM:

the Gothic train station doesn't have to be that big . just a few plates long , but not as short as the holiday one !