The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

20 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

Regarding the height of modular and the sections... There is a typical base width size of 32 32. But is there a typical height of sections, or is that just random? 

I think it tends to be roughly the same but does vary between sets. In Assembly Square the height of the bottom floor in the blue building (cafe) is lower than the other 2 buildings (flower shop and bakery).

On 22/3/2018 at 7:41 PM, Fuppylodders said:

Regarding the height of modular and the sections... There is a typical base width size of 32 32. But is there a typical height of sections, or is that just random? 

The 1st floor is often 8-9 bricks tall, sometimes more, and the upper floors depend on what you're building. For a single upper floor (as in Brick Bank) it needs to be much taller than in a double upper floor (as in Assembly Square). For the upper floors 6-7 bricks works well for an Assembly Square-height modular (a bit taller than what we get now, but smaller than the older ones). :classic:

Edited by paupadros

Has anyone a picture available with all the modulars so far? I think when you put them in line you could clearly see the evolution.

As far as i have them all in mind, they were a bit taller in the beginning (cafe corner, Green Grocer etc.) but had hardly ant interior in them.
Over the years they weren't as high anymore, but a lot more done to the interior. Is that a fair conclusion?

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I think it tends to be roughly the same but does vary between sets. In Assembly Square the height of the bottom floor in the blue building (cafe) is lower than the other 2 buildings (flower shop and bakery).

2 hours ago, paupadros said:

The 1st floor is often 8-9 bricks tall, sometimes more, and the upper floors depend on what you're building. For a single upper floor (as in Brick Bank) it needs to be much taller than in a double upper floor (as in Assembly Square). For the upper floors 6-7 bricks works well. :classic:

Thank you both :thumbup:

On 3/22/2018 at 2:41 PM, Fuppylodders said:

It varies a lot. Especially with “two-floor” modulars like the Brick Bank and Fire Brigade.

We’ve all seen the Creator 3 in 1 “modulars” MODed to a “normal” modular, haven’t we? But have anyone ever thought about actually MODing the official modulars into Creator 3 in 1 “modulars”? Well yes, a guy had an enough creative/clever idea of shrunken the modulars :laugh: :thumbup: It worked out pretty well IMO! What do you think about them? 

Spoiler

kPRXl9T.jpg?1

Q1pF7eU.jpg

vrFrjZm.jpg

RpEIeGE.jpg

And here are size comparisons with the creator 3 in 1 modulars:

Spoiler

YtcAuzk.jpg

GvAA9pG.jpg

CeCDXb2.jpg

a1Aza5E.jpg

1 hour ago, LegoModularFan said:

But have anyone ever thought about actually MODing the official modulars into Creator 3 in 1 “modulars”? Well yes, a guy had an enough creative/clever idea of shrunken the modulars :laugh: :thumbup: It worked out pretty well IMO! What do you think about them? 

Well they look pretty cute. The pet shop one works quite well.

10 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

We’ve all seen the Creator 3 in 1 “modulars” MODed to a “normal” modular, haven’t we? But have anyone ever thought about actually MODing the official modulars into Creator 3 in 1 “modulars”? Well yes, a guy had an enough creative/clever idea of shrunken the modulars :laugh: :thumbup: It worked out pretty well IMO! What do you think about them? 

I find it very amusing that he only managed to shrink the Barber Shop part of DO by basically taking out one floor...it's almost as if that building was way too small to begin with... :look:

Anyway, cute idea and nice execution.

I still wish Lego would continue to produce this older style of 3in1 buildings instead of those horrendous "modular" abominations we get nowadays in their stead.

13 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Well yes, a guy had an enough creative/clever idea of shrunken the modulars :laugh: :thumbup: It worked out pretty well IMO! What do you think about them? 

I think they are freaking brilliant! :thumbup: :grin:

3 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

I still wish Lego would continue to produce this older style of 3in1 buildings instead of those horrendous "modular" abominations we get nowadays in their stead.

I completely agree!

On 24/03/2018 at 10:52 PM, LegoModularFan said:

Hide contents

kPRXl9T.jpg?1

Q1pF7eU.jpg

vrFrjZm.jpg

RpEIeGE.jpg

And here are size comparisons with the creator 3 in 1 modulars:

Hide contents

YtcAuzk.jpg

GvAA9pG.jpg

CeCDXb2.jpg

a1Aza5E.jpg

Wow these are stunning I can't believe the fit so well. If I had a 3 in 1 I would make it modular. It would take a lot of bricks

On 25/03/2018 at 1:53 PM, Bricked1980 said:

I completely agree!

Couldn't agree  more.

when I first heard the name (before pictures)

i was unsure but those things are a disgrace to the other modulars

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:32 PM, RogerSmith said:

I also agree with this observation.

The current Creator "Modular" buildings are extremely disappointing, even as "parts packs".

For Lego Modular fans in the UK, you might be interested to know John Lewis have currently got Detectives Office on offer with 10% off so it's only £128.69. They have also just started stocking DD as well although that one is full price.

They have also got some other good deals and although it's not a Modular building, the Ghostbusters HQ has got 20% off making it only £227.99.

Edited by Bricked1980

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 2:16 PM, Night City Dream said:

What about summer sets of 2018? any info on a new train station? Sorry if I missed something in the thread.

You can find a "2018 sets discussion" in almost each subforum. For example for the trains, this is the topic. Sadly, there has not been any evidence of a new station so far.

Back on topic, the downsized models look great. Regarding the idea of applying this style to the Creator "3-in-1" line, I would say that, since it is directed to kids, it really needs to maintain a high level of playability. I do not think these MoCs fulfill this requirement.

On 3/23/2018 at 7:15 PM, Jasper Joppe Geers said:

Has anyone a picture available with all the modulars so far? I think when you put them in line you could clearly see the evolution.

I've seen a picture of all the modulars together a few days before you wrote this but didn't fave it - so it was lost... Yesterday while browsing/searching for inspirational modulars, I found it again! Here's the picture:

Spoiler

All the LEGO modular buildings

Edited by LegoModularFan

1 hour ago, LegoModularFan said:

I've seen a picture of all the modulars together a few days before I wrote this comment but didn't fave it - so it was lost... Yesterday while browsing/searching for inspirational modulars, I found it again! Here's the picture:

Hide contents

All the LEGO modular buildings

Great to see all the modulars together. Thanks for sharing this pic.

This clearly shows how there has been a trend towards the buildings getting smaller in recent years. This is obviously the trade off for having more detailed interiors on the newer releases.

Which do you prefer? Personally I'm happier having a slightly smaller building but with more details inside.

It was the general perception in those days, right after the Green Grocer to have some sort of interior in the modulars as well. 
From there the evolution over the years has been an interior like we wanted, but the rooftops weren't as high anymore.

With the exception of Town Hall of course.

I just found out that it's official that the green grocers is being re released

i found the following

At LEGO we strive to give LEGO fans the best possible building experience when it comes to new LEGO sets we create. But we also want to celebrate LEGO sets that have had a big impact for the company and their fans. Ten years ago LEGO released the 10185 Green Grocer and for many fans this is one of the best LEGO sets ever produced. At LEGO we have a great love for the Green Grocer and to celebrate the 10th anniversay of the set, we have decide to bring back this iconic set so fans who missed out in the first place will be able to own the set in the end. We are enthousiastic to announce that the set will not be a simple re-release, but a redesigned version. The Minifigures will have new face prints and for the model we are using new colours and parts that were not available ten years ago. 

As an extra we will produce a special LEGO VIP card for fans that buy the set before the end of 2018. The VIP card will entitle all holders to a year’s worth of exclusive benefits and rewards throughout 2019! More information about the LEGO Green Grocer and the LEGO Green Grocer Special VIP Card will be shared later this year.

Just now, legocruncher said:

i found the following

Well, that's rather unfortunate, but I'm pretty sure this is actually an April fool... there had been a similar one in 2015 too. Where did you find it?

1 hour ago, legocruncher said:

It might be an April fool but if only it were true. :sweet:

It's an April fools :laugh:

I was looking for a typical spelling mistake somewhere, TLG are pretty good at not doing them, and there is one, the word 'enthusiastic'...

Not to mention, I call bs on the vip card, straight up copy and paste of the MF card...