The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

A School or Library would be nice additions.  Like the idea of a Mechanics Garage maybe combine with a Service Station, make this a corner building and oh boy would it be swell.  Still need a Hospital and Police Station.  Liked the extra length of AS so maybe lets go taller.  Like a five story early 19th century office tower found in Chicago or New York.  Lots of way the next Modular can go and like different people designing them!

10 hours ago, Faefrost said:

We just had a very very American style building and an eatery, so what comes next will be in contrast to that. And also want some differentiation from Assembly Square, Which has a lot of small retail plus a medical office. I’m thinking something Government or service oriented. A British or European styled Post Office would seem to be a good possibility.

I agree I don't think it will be anything as distinctly American as this years DD. I also like the idea of a post office. A British inspired building with a red mail van would be really cool. I wonder if they would do vehicles 2 years in a row though?

I also like the idea of a theatre. (musicals and plays, not cinema).

Maybe it will be a hotel as per the hint made by Mike in the designer vid for DD. I think we can take that hint with a pinch of salt though. Lego aren't usually in the habit of dropping hints about future sets.

No doubt the next set will probably be a complete surprise to everyone just as DD was.

17 hours ago, Nexogeek said:

Anyone else wonder what a modular style set with the budget of the UCS Falcon would look like? 

I think a theatre would be a good one in case of a UCS Falcon budget! :classic:

11 hours ago, Faefrost said:

Getting back to our fun game of speculating what comes next? We just had a very very American style building and an eatery, so what comes next will be in contrast to that. And also want some differentiation from Assembly Square, Which has a lot of small retail plus a medical office. I’m thinking something Government or service oriented. A British or European styled Post Office would seem to be a good possibility. Classical style building with lots of trim. Lots of interior detail and play possibilities. A nice mail truck etc. Other thoughts would be a Modular Police Precinct House, once again with older style police car. Or perhaps a Mechanics Garage laid out not to unlike the FB with street facing bay and extra tall ground floor to allow for a lift. Give that one a tow truck and car to repair. 

Thoughts and speculation? 

Some excellent ideas posted by @koalayummies a while ago:

“That's not a rumor, thats just a guess but I'll join because the next modular could be a police station-library-school-museum-hospital-post office-apartment building-hardware store-train station-clothing outlet-deli-pancake house-locksmith-computer repair-home furnishings store-sporting goods shop-appliance repair-jeweler-seafood-pharmacy-bicycle shop-architecture firm-lawyers office-courthouse built in gothic, neoclassical, postmodern, historicism, timber framing, tudor, Mediterranean revival, baroque and so on and so forth.”

I think we still miss very important things as a modular such as a police station and a post office as you mentioned, a museum, a concert hall/theater, a library, a school/university and a hospital. A normal sized shopping mall with a Lego store in it or/and a stand alone Lego store such as the one which didn’t pass the review on Ideas and an arcade (if the one on the Ideas doesn’t pass the review) would be fun IMO. 

What I’d really like to see as the next modular is a museum with Art Nouveau architecture or a hotel with Belle Époque architecture, something like a smaller version of this beautiful one by @cimddwc :wub:

Spoiler
Hotel streetside 2 (BB2017)

I don’t have any specific ideas of what the next modular is going to be and in which architecture, because a Diner was really unexpected for me.

Edited by LegoModularFan

On 3/10/2018 at 1:37 PM, koalayummies said:

Interesting. Picturing the equivalent of four to six modulars all in one set, ~128 to ~192 studs worth of city street. And numerous fans eating bread crumbs for several months after, a few admitted to hospital for malnutrition. Maybe a few ended relationships. Lower credit scores etc. Don't do it Lego.

Lmaooooo your comment is great! I wouldn't mind if Lego did end up doing on that size, heck even $500-600 budget one would be neat to see them do. 

I'd love to see a Police Station (come on, we got a Fire brigade and a Bank already!), a Hospital (yeah, I know there's one being released this year, but it's not a modular one), a Train/Bus Stration (you know we need a big, modular one!) and a Theatre/Opera House (we have a cinema, so why not; an amphitheater would be great).

I's also like to see a Post Office, a School, a Library and a Museum/Art Gallery (any combination of two or three of these would be nice), an Arcade (a very European one with lots of arches), a mechanical repair shop, maybe with a filling station and garage, a Marina/Boathouse, and some "farm/country" buildings like farm houses, barns, storage silos and mills -- why not a Zoo?

And I do think we need more residential buildings: condos, high-rise buildings, town houses.

A couple of commercial buildings would be nice too: pharmacies, malls, hotels and a skyscraper -- definitely a at least one skyscraper! 

On 10/03/2018 at 6:57 PM, Nexogeek said:

Anyone else wonder what a modular style set with the budget of the UCS Falcon would look like? 

I know, that’s not what you mean here but what about a modular like this:tongue: (Credit to @Paperballpark)

Spoiler

w27egzd9nimo.png

6 hours ago, Artifex said:

and a skyscraper -- definitely a at least one skyscraper! 

I really don’t think they would ever do any skyscrapers in minifig scale, it would cost waaay too much... and it wouldn’t fit well with the modulars IMO. However, your other suggestions are great!

@Nexogeek, if they ever made a minifig scale skyscraper, it would surely have the budget of the UCS Falcon and it would certainly look... well... ugly :grin: 

Edited by LegoModularFan

On 3/11/2018 at 11:55 PM, Artifex said:

...a skyscraper -- definitely a at least one skyscraper! 

Isn't that the original premise of the modular series? Just buy a whole bunch of them (or just get the parts for the middle floors).

070331-6-xl.jpg

Edited by badbob001

25 minutes ago, badbob001 said:

Isn't that the original premise of the modular series? Just but a whole bunch of them (or just get the parts for the middle floors).

070331-6-xl.jpg

Woh! That better be a strong table. :laugh:

2 hours ago, badbob001 said:

Isn't that the original premise of the modular series? Just but a whole bunch of them (or just get the parts for the middle floors).

Wha... *huh* :oh3:

I’m surprised they haven’t done a Police Precinct House or the Post Office yet as a replacement for the wonderful entry and crossover set that was the Fire Brigade. There was a reason that set was more produced and kept alive longer than any other Modular, with at least 3 production runs. It was the bridge set that appealed to both AFOL’s and younger City fans. It was the entry point into the Modulars for many if not most. I would even argue that it might be the most important building in the line, surpassing even the sainted Cafe Corner. The line began with CC, but FB is what made it so successful. And the line could use another crossover set to bridge in new fans. A Police Station would hit that same niche. A post office with both the beautiful building and an organic play element of delivering the mail would be similar. 

And a januari 2019 release will be perfect: the next City police station isn't due till 2020 (and I think the current one is not the most succesful itteration), mountain police will still be there, leaving not much room for another niche-precinct in the core city line...

Edited by Johnmeel

6 hours ago, Faefrost said:

I’m surprised they haven’t done a Police Precinct 

It seems that every year a Police Station is at the top of a lot of people's wish lists for the next Modular. It also seems like a really obvious candidate for a set. Lego must be aware of this, the only reason I can imagine it hasn't been done yet is because it would have clashed with any City themed Police sets that would have been released during January.

@Johnmeel raises a good point in the post above. Maybe next year will be the ideal time to launch a Police Station.

I wonder if the reason we’ve not seen one is because, certainly in Europe, a lot of police stations are not the most exciting buildings to look at, often being just concrete blocks.  There are some lovely ones, of course, which tend to be older, but perhaps not one style which would sell well globally.  There have been some great MOC police precincts, but they tend to follow US style.

8 hours ago, Faefrost said:

A Police Station would hit that same niche. A post office with both the beautiful building and an organic play element of delivering the mail would be similar. 

2 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

It seems that every year a Police Station is at the top of a lot of people's wish lists for the next Modular. It also seems like a really obvious candidate for a set. Lego must be aware of this, the only reason I can imagine it hasn't been done yet is because it would have clashed with any City themed Police sets that would have been released during January.

@Johnmeel raises a good point in the post above. Maybe next year will be the ideal time to launch a Police Station.

Police Station as a modular would be great, hope it’ll be in a European architecture if made by TLG. I’d love to see something like:

Munstraat Police HQ by @Jasper Joppe Geers

Spoiler

DSCN3553

Police Headquarters (instructions :moar:) by @Dakar A

Spoiler

Police Headquarters

if the Police Station would be in European architecture!

BTW, do you think that the next modular is a corner building? 

Edited by LegoModularFan

If they were to a Police Station House I suspect it would be much like the FB, and based on that early 20th Century NYC style that became so well known because of how extensively Hollywood used it. 3 story building with broad steps leading up past 2 globe lanterns etc. 

1 hour ago, Faefrost said:

If they were to a Police Station House I suspect it would be much like the FB, and based on that early 20th Century NYC style that became so well known because of how extensively Hollywood used it. 3 story building with broad steps leading up past 2 globe lanterns etc. 

If it’s going to be American, I’m not sure if TLG will do it next year as you mentioned before, the DD is very American so we’re more likely to have a European building next year. I don’t say that I don’t want an American Police Station, just the opposite! It’s only that I can’t really see TLG making another American building next year.

4 hours ago, Faefrost said:

If they were to a Police Station House I suspect it would be much like the FB, and based on that early 20th Century NYC style

I agree with you that a police station would work better in an American style than European. When I think of police stations in the mid 20th century the first thing that springs to my mind is a stereotype new work cop station like we see in Hollywood movies.

I think this is a much more likely direction that lego would ever take with a potential modular police station.

Therefore @LegoModularFan raises a good point. It's probably unlikely lego would do a distinctive American theme 2 years in a row. So perhaps the cop station is less likely for 2019.

I don’t think the specific provenance of a buildings stylings plays that much into where it sits in the rotation Beyond Lego having a desire to mix things up a bit and keep each one distinct. They likely don’t specifically go Euro, US, Euro etc. They just take them as they come. 

Besides the most European styled building in the whole line, the PR is actually based on a real building in Jamie’s New England home town. So trying to guess about this sort of thing can be strange. 

7 hours ago, Faefrost said:

the PR is actually based on a real building in Jamie’s New England home town.

Didn’t know that! Do you know the address or do you have an image? That seems really interesting!

BTW, congrats for your 5005th post :sweet: Forgot to congratulate you for your 5000th post :grin:

Edited by LegoModularFan

Astronaut Avila, the creator of the Modular Arcade on Ideas has made an awesome MOD of the DD and he made the LDD file and parts list available! Thought some of you may be interested, especially @AllanSmith if he didn’t MODed his one already... I still remember his photoshop :wink:

I know it was a while back but when we were thinking about 2 modulars a year. The second could end up being a rerelease of the oldest modulars?

it would kill the aftermarket just like what happened with ucs  falcon. Also we could get the oldest modulars (especially gg) an interior worthy of rerelease. Along with a chance to collect them

imagine a modular supermarket it could still be greengrocer but for me it would fill the whole in the modular food production chain

gg to  bakery to restaurant to minifigures

On 3/21/2018 at 2:29 AM, legocruncher said:

I know it was a while back but when we were thinking about 2 modulars a year. The second could end up being a rerelease of the oldest modulars?

it would kill the aftermarket just like what happened with ucs  falcon. Also we could get the oldest modulars (especially gg) an interior worthy of rerelease. Along with a chance to collect them

imagine a modular supermarket it could still be greengrocer but for me it would fill the whole in the modular food production chain

gg to  bakery to restaurant to minifigures

It wasn't so much a "2 a year" that we witnessed. Rather it looked like the release scheduled had shortened slightly to be 10 or 9 months between. So sometimes 2 a year. But it seems to have shifted back to one a year in January with a second "quasi Modular" D2C mid year. Ninjago City, Ninjago City Docks, Ghostbusters, Simpsons, Fishing Store etc. 

Regarding the height of modular and the sections... There is a typical base width size of 32 32. But is there a typical height of sections, or is that just random?