The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

I bet it wont be long before somebody mods this in to a Modular building.

Yes, I feel like it can fit very well between the PR and the DO with some modification of course! The upcoming Jurrasic World 75930 Indoraptor Rampage set also looks like it can be modded... 

Spoiler

25433541877_868a67d43f_b.jpg

Edited by LegoModularFan

1 minute ago, LegoModularFan said:

Yes, I feel like it can fit very well between the PR and the DO with some modification of course! The upcoming Jurrasic World 75930 Indoraptor Rampage set also looks like it can be modded...

Uhhhh, that colour variation on the roof... Is this on purpose or not? :D

34 minutes ago, Capparezza said:

I’m not sure what you mean, I didn’t get it, sorry.

Edited by LegoModularFan
Oh, got it, please ignore my comment

26 minutes ago, Capparezza said:

Do you mean the slope pieces making up the roof on the Jurassic Park building? I see what you mean, it looks as if there is some colour variation in the photo. :cry_sad::sick:

Classic LEGO quality control. Here are a few pictures that I took about a decade ago:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=366522

Those came from brand new 4954 and 4998 sets. I contacted LEGO's customer support and told them that I wasn't happy with my 500€+ purchase. No fucks given. None. They didn't even replace a damaged plate that came with one of those sets. That's part of the reason why I'm not sugarcoating things anymore. There's no excuse for that. Especially, if they're charging us premium prices. It's not as if they're producing those pieces in small batches and they've been working with plastics for more than 60 years. 

You know what's really sad? Lepin seems to be better than LEGO when it comes to producing consiteltly coloured bricks.

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

...it looks as if there is some colour variation in the photo. :cry_sad::sick:

To me it looks as if it is in the bricks :pir-laugh: (Capt'n Obvious speaking...)

@3797 Well, some examples are really way off... Thanks for showing!

1 hour ago, 3797 said:

Classic LEGO quality control. Here are a few pictures that I took about a decade ago:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=366522

Those came from brand new 4954 and 4998 sets. I contacted LEGO's customer support and told them that I wasn't happy with my 500€+ purchase. No fucks given. None. They didn't even replace a damaged plate that came with one of those sets. That's part of the reason why I'm not sugarcoating things anymore. There's no excuse for that. Especially, if they're charging us premium prices. It's not as if they're producing those pieces in small batches and they've been working with plastics for more than 60 years. 

You know what's really sad? Lepin seems to be better than LEGO when it comes to producing consiteltly coloured bricks.

One thing i don't understand is that you bring this up while that was a decade ago?...
I'm sure some things have changed don't you think? :classic:

21 minutes ago, Capparezza said:

To me it looks as if it is in the bricks :pir-laugh: (Capt'n Obvious speaking...)

Some of the bricks are definitely a darker shade. It's bad enough finding bricks like this is a set but you would have thought they'd at least of sorted them out for the product photos.

2 hours ago, Capparezza said:

Dark Red has been pretty prone to variation since it was first introduced—the color was even reformulated to try to make it more consistent (hence the official Lego color being called "New Dark Red" despite no change in the target hue). It's a shame Lego hasn't been able to get it more under control than it has, but it's a challenging problem to overcome with dark, rich colors like that (Medium Lilac has had similar issues).

58 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

It's bad enough finding bricks like this is a set but you would have thought they'd at least of sorted them out for the product photos.

I'm glad they didn't exercise a rolebook "product shoot" where the photo has nothing in common with the end product the customer is buying... Cherrypicking is not very helpful :wink: And sometimes I even like those colour variations, gives some rolling stock or building a more weathered look.

Alas, this has nothing much to do with Modular Building Rumours any more...

Could an Arts and Crafts/Frank Lloyd Wright architectural style work within a modular framework? Has it ever been attempted as an MOC by anyone? Have any previous modulars sets adopted it in subtle ways before?

On 22.2.2018 at 12:59 AM, Agent 86 said:

I have and enjoy all of these sets. They make for nice size variance with the Modulars (or can be combined to make smaller Modulars). It's a shame that Lego has stopped making this style of Creator buildings in favour of the (confusingly named) "Modular" Creator sets, which are open-backed, relatively small and predominantly consist of pre-built wall sections which can be re-arranged in a "modular" fashion.

On 22.2.2018 at 2:59 AM, fred67 said:

I like those small shops, also - the current crop of little houses are just plain terrible. I guess they are going after the market looking for "play features," which ruins most sets for me (curmudgeonly old man).  I often just build out the play features of sets.

I miss those buildings, too. I bought several copies of the Bike Shop, the Corner Cafe and that last one they did (forgot what it's called) as parts packs, and would have loved it if Lego continued the general theme. The new "modular" 3 in 1 houses are plain rubbish, imho - none of them looks very good, there's not that much you can do with the modular aspect, and some of the features depicted are just ridiculous (a ski slope atop a house? yeah, right...same goes for the skateboard halfpipe.). Plus, due to the design of this modules, they also suck as parts packs.

But to be honest, building-wise the Creator line has been going downhill for ages now. Remember wayyy back when they would also release huge family homes and villas? Those just got smaller and smaller, and nowadays they are gone completely. It's a shame, really.

Edited by RogerSmith

7 hours ago, 3797 said:

Oh my goodness! You mean to tell us the colors of the pieces in this children's toy aren't photo-laboratory perfect?! What a hot new flash!

You go do that counterfeit stuff but don't complain around here when you're diagnosed with lead poisoning and unintentionally changing genders from exposure to high quantities of Bisphenol-A.

12 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

I miss those buildings, too. I bought several copies of the Bike Shop, the Corner Cafe and that last one they did (forgot what it's called) as parts packs, and would have loved it if Lego continued the general theme. The new "modular" 3 in 1 houses are plain rubbish, imho - none of them looks very good, there's not that much you can do with the modular aspect, and some of the features depicted are just ridiculous (a ski slope atop a house? yeah, right...same goes for the skateboard halfpipe.). Plus, due to the design of this modules, they also suck as parts packs.

But to be honest, building-wise the Creator line has been going downhill for ages now. Remember wayyy back when they would also release huge family homes and villas? Those just got smaller and smaller, and nowadays they are gone completely. It's a shame, really.

I miss those buildings too. I save my money for the whole Creator Expert modulars line (just found the Green Grocer at a "quite soft price", the last one i didn't have in my collection). But Creator Expert modulars are getting smaller and smaller too. I wish they stop this slimming regime! 

13 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

I miss those buildings, too. I bought several copies of the Bike Shop, the Corner Cafe and that last one they did (forgot what it's called) as parts packs, and would have loved it if Lego continued the general theme. The new "modular" 3 in 1 houses are plain rubbish, imho - none of them looks very good, there's not that much you can do with the modular aspect, and some of the features depicted are just ridiculous

Not only do those "Modular" 3in1 buildings look a bit of a mess, the whole "modular" system of these sets seems a bit pointless to me. The idea behind them is that kids can take them apart and re-arrange the modules to create different designs for the buildings. But hang on a minute - hasn't that always been the whole point of Lego anyway? Lego sets have always been marketed as toys that can be taken apart and built in to anything that you like, especially Creator sets. Kids don't need interchangeable modules to be able to do that.

30 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Lego sets have always been marketed as toys that can be taken apart and built in to anything that you like, especially Creator sets. Kids don't need interchangeable modules to be able to do that.

Well, yes and no. When i look at my kids, they both played with Lego for a long time. My oldest daughter is the one with fantasy, ideas and big dreams. She can do without interchangeabale modules. My youngest is quite the opposite, and likes to do everything by instruction. So i think interchangeable modules can help...

Personally, I love interchangeable modules! :classic:

Edited by Jasper Joppe Geers

8 minutes ago, Jasper Joppe Geers said:

Well, yes and no. When i look at my kids, they both played with Lego for a long time. My oldest daughter is the one with fantasy, ideas and big dreams. She can do without interchangeabale modules. My youngest is quite the opposite, and likes to do everything by instruction. So i think interchangeable modules can help...

Personally, I love interchangeable modules! :classic:

Yes, maybe I was looking at it from an Adult perspective rather than the viewpoint of how children would play with them.

Not sure if I explained properly in the first post but when I was talking about interchangeable modules I didn't mean the big Creator Expert Modulars, which I absolutely love. I meant the new 3 in 1 Creator "Modular" sets like this example below. 

31069?$PDPDefault$

Edited by Bricked1980

15 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Oh my goodness! You mean to tell us the colors of the pieces in this children's toy aren't photo-laboratory perfect?! What a hot new flash!

You go do that counterfeit stuff but don't complain around here when you're diagnosed with lead poisoning and unintentionally changing genders from exposure to high quantities of Bisphenol-A.

Reading comprehension? All I said was that they're better at producing consistently coloured bricks. Something that LEGO hasn't figured out in more than 10 years. Also, when I'm saying/asking "You know what's sad", then I'm surely not praising their products or their business ethics. My English may not be perfect but it can't be that bad. And yes, I do expect them to fix those issues. Especially for promo shots. If I didn't care about LEGO's future, then I wouldn't be vocal about crap like this.

22 hours ago, Jasper Joppe Geers said:

One thing i don't understand is that you bring this up while that was a decade ago?...
I'm sure some things have changed don't you think? :classic:

Again: Reading comprehension? I posted this because some members were (and still are) complaining about the dark red roof pieces on the soon to be released Jurassic World set. Yes, I'd expect issues like those to be fixed after 10+ years. Either fix that or stop pretending to be a premium brand. Re-read LegoModularFan's, Bricked1980's, Lyichir's and Capparezza's posts. Use Google translate, if English isn't your first language.

39640124365_f3b92c4cf1_b.jpg

On 2/27/2018 at 12:51 PM, 3797 said:

I think the main reason is Lepin probably use just one factory and produce much fewer bricks than Lego do. Lego churn out millions of bricks using multiple different machine in different countries around the world. It must be a very difficult task for them to make all the colours match perfectly.

I'm not making up excuses for Lego though. Considering the high costs of Lego sets it is a bit disappointing when you buy a set and find their are variations in some of the colours. 

7 hours ago, 3797 said:

Reading comprehension? All I said was that they're better at producing consistently coloured bricks. Something that LEGO hasn't figured out in more than 10 years. Also, when I'm saying/asking "You know what's sad", then I'm surely not praising their products or their business ethics. My English may not be perfect but it can't be that bad. And yes, I do expect them to fix those issues. Especially for promo shots. If I didn't care about LEGO's future, then I wouldn't be vocal about crap like this.

There was no reading comprehension error and it wasn't personal in any way. You were vociferating about the color consistency of pieces in a children's building toy stating that a counterfeiting company does plastic toy color consistency better. It was fully read and comprehended.

Its a children's building toy. So the colors of various pieces don't have Mars Rover photographic color consistency; what a horror and a tragedy. Whenever one mentions a counterfeiting company that steals from everyone, including the very members on this forum, they might elicit a sardonic response.

Edited by koalayummies

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:52 AM, RogerSmith said:

Remember wayyy back when they would also release huge family homes and villas? Those just got smaller and smaller, and nowadays they are gone completely. It's a shame, really.

Sadly (for me), they were all released during my Dark Ages. The only one I managed to grab was Family House (31012). I wish they'd make more "Creator" houses / residential buildings like they use to.

I started to think that maybe TLG would re-release the CC and the hotel hint in the designer video was a clue about this (re-release of the CC)... That may be totally wrong but am I the only person to think that? 

12 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

I started to think that maybe TLG would re-release the CC and the hotel hint in the designer video was a clue about this (re-release of the CC)... That may be totally wrong but am I the only person to think that? 

I agree with you. I am also hoping for a re-release of CC. If ever we were lucky enough for this to happen I hope it is re-designed to include a detailed interior and not just a straight re-release of the original. My only concern is that they don't do this instead of releasing an all new set next January.

As we got a second restaurant this year, i think we will get a new hotel instead of a rerelease if a modular hotel is planned...