The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 06/02/2018 at 1:00 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Oh yeah, I would seriously love to see something like that corner building as a set! :moar:

Wow, just found an amazing modular by @sdrnet, this is designed for you :grin::

I’d also like seeing some modulars with architectures like:

This incredible Baroque Church by @Jellyeater

Amazingly detailed MOC by @pj_bosman

This great shaped modular by @cimddwc

I specially chose those buildings as they are in Baroque architecture which I love a lot and there are very few MOC’s made in this architecture as far as I see, and those are the most amazing MOC’s I found - top 3 IMO

That a great varied selection of creations you've gathered there @LegoModularFan! As for the CS themed modular you highlighted, it's quite clever and very well done, but the fusion of those two is a bit too goofy for my taste. 

Probably my number one favorite modular creation (it sort of stretches that definition) is this one by @RoxYourBlox.

By the way, you should perhaps do a "Inspirational Modular Creations" topic, as EB user @danth had created a simlar such discussion for sci-fi MOCs recently.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

By the way, you should perhaps do a "Inspirational Modular Creations" topic, as EB user @danth had created a simlar such discussion for sci-fi MOCs recently.

Oh, long work! There are so many great MOC’ers out here... I already created two similar threads, one for modular MOC instructions and another where I asked to my favorite MOC’cers how they design modulars. So I have “Inspirational Modular Creators” but not “Inspirational Modular Creations” :grin: However I might reconsider that...

9 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

Oh, long work! There are so many great MOC’ers out here... I already created two similar threads, one for modular MOC instructions and another where I asked to my favorite MOC’cers how they design modulars. So I have “Inspirational Modular Creators” but not “Inspirational Modular Creations” :grin: However I might reconsider that...

It can be a pretty casual, freestyle discussion, where users can talk about creations and Ideas projects they've found and/or admire from around Eurobricks, Flickr, Ideas, and beyond. The weight of the creation scouting wouldn't necessarily lay entirely on the OP of the topic.

I agree, sounds like a great idea for a thread, and I know that would probably correspond with much of the time I spend looking for ideas/inspiration online. I guess the only problem might be the amount of times you find orphaned images without being able to properly credit the original creator.

I finished my Diner last night and am very impressed overall, which surprised me - I liked the original picture but thought it would be too bright to go with the others.  But it does go well - the car goes well too (didn't like the PC car).

For 2 months I managed to avoid looking at more detailed pictures and this helped me enjoy the build a lot more.  Liked the open staircase at the back, all 3 indoor floors, roof design, Diner lettering is clever.

Looking at all the lettering, Hotel, Shop, Palace, Pool, Diner are all different styles.  Only 1932, Pets, 1891 have the same style.

I didn't buy it straight away this time but was patient and waited until the 60 year set offer.  Had been thinking it's not 100% certain I'll continue to buy modulars, but it probably is - there's always something you can add to your street!

And in 2 years we've had diner, gym, recording studio, cafe, music shop, dance studio, florist, photography studio, bakery, dentist, apartment... A lot..

Knowing that a good amount of us would love to see some kind of steampunk style buildings in Lego I figured i'd share this link to a Lego Ideas project I just came across

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/4da33379-1474-4db8-9fdc-6e51f36ec344

It's a pretty small build less then 500 pieces so if it did get to 10k it could have decent chances of being approved seeing as Lego most likely wouldn't produce a steampunk structure on there own. 

4 hours ago, Nexogeek said:

Knowing that a good amount of us would love to see some kind of steampunk style buildings in Lego I figured i'd share this link to a Lego Ideas project I just came across

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/4da33379-1474-4db8-9fdc-6e51f36ec344

Thanks! I didn’t support this project, I don’t like it. But steampunk is an excellent idea and there are a lot of MOC’s much better than this one. I’ll share some of them.

1. @castor-troy and @domino39 made an incredible steampunk project together (they also made one MOD of the PR and the MS and two MOD’s of the CC but they look so different that they are more MOC then MOD):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lego-castor/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76884750@N03/

https://flickr.com/photos/140096277@N02/sets/72157665461184619

I know that @Digger of Bricks already shared caster-troy’s WIP topic but there are many more photos on their Flickr than EB.

2. @adde51 created some great steampunk modulars too:

https://flickr.com/photos/124068149@N02/sets/72157677981987356

3. @Zilmrud as well created some very interesting steampunk modulars and also made great MOD’s of the PC and the BB:

https://flickr.com/photos/136715026@N08/sets/72157680169877316

Here are the three most gorgeous Steampunk MOC’s IMO! What do you think about them? Would you buy modulars like those if TLG ever made? 

Thanks for the idea @Nexogeekand @Digger of Bricks

I think I’ll create a thread like you said @Digger of Bricks, I’ll post three great MOC’s of different styles regularly as I do here and if there’s enough interest, I’ll post everyday!

BTW, congrats for being Duke :sweet:

39 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

Here are the three most gorgeous Steampunk MOC’s IMO! What do you think about them? Would you buy modulars like those if TLG ever made? 

These are all great. The Steampunk Paris layout looks absolutely stunning. "Would I buy a set like this?" Yes I think I probably would! But "would TLG ever release this style of Modular?" I don't think they would to be honest - at least not under usual Creator Modular line. Considering the amount of flack DD got for being a bit different to the norm, I think anything steampunk inspired would probably be a bit too "out of the box" for a lot of collectors.

39 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

I think I’ll create a thread like you said @Digger of Bricks, I’ll post three great MOC’s of different styles regularly as I do here and if there’s enough interest, I’ll post everyday!

Look forward to following the new thread, let us know when you've set it up.

Edited by Bricked1980

3 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

If Lego ever did steampunk modular's, "shut up and take my money" is all I could say, the style fits modular's really well when done right and looks pretty amazing aesthetic wise 

8 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Look forward to following the new thread, let us know when you've set it up.

Done!

On 2/5/2018 at 4:20 AM, Bricked1980 said:

Ok, so I know it's a bit early in the year to start speculating, but just wondered what would everyone like to see for the 2019 modular? Do you think it will be a hotel as hinted at in the designer video for DD?

Do you think they will carry on with the art deco style or will the set return to the more familiar style of past modulars?

Definitely do not think it will be Art Deco as they do not repeat the same design from the previous year in the new modular.  

As for the hotel, it would be nice, but there are some challenges.  I am trying to MOC one right now.  Of course, you would want a lobby and check in desk at a minimum.  Then, you have to squeeze in the guest rooms above that.  You also need a way to access the upper level(s) and have a hallway/passage or some way to get to each room, and that will take up valuable space.  If you want more guest rooms, they have to be fairly small.  32x32 is not much space when you really think about it.  If a hotel gets developed, it will be more of a bed and breakfast with a few rooms than it will be a grand hotel.  

4 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

As for the hotel, it would be nice, but there are some challenges.  I am trying to MOC one right now.  Of course, you would want a lobby and check in desk at a minimum.  Then, you have to squeeze in the guest rooms above that.  You also need a way to access the upper level(s) and have a hallway/passage or some way to get to each room, and that will take up valuable space.  If you want more guest rooms, they have to be fairly small.  32x32 is not much space when you really think about it.  If a hotel gets developed, it will be more of a bed and breakfast with a few rooms than it will be a grand hotel.  

This is a good point. If they wanted to do an accurate representation of a hotel then it would need to be pretty huge and possibly with more than the usual 3 floors. I think they could get away with doing a standard sized set though with maybe only a few guest rooms and still call it a hotel even though in reality a building like this would be more like a Bed and Breakfast. It wouldn't be very true to a real hotel but then the same can be said for Parisian Restaurant which is pretty unrealistic when you consider it has only got 2 dining tables inside.

I remember from the early days of the Cafe Corner the pictures showing what you can do with multiple cafe corners...

It seemed to me at that time stacking levels seemed to be the 'challenge'. 

So in case of a decent size hotel i assume that a footprint of 32 x 64 should be the minimal measurement?

I'd guess that TLC would try to minimalize that to 32 x 32 first, and let AFOLS do the rest?... :)

04box4.jpg

Edited by Jasper Joppe Geers

20 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

This is a good point. If they wanted to do an accurate representation of a hotel then it would need to be pretty huge and possibly with more than the usual 3 floors. I think they could get away with doing a standard sized set though with maybe only a few guest rooms and still call it a hotel even though in reality a building like this would be more like a Bed and Breakfast. It wouldn't be very true to a real hotel but then the same can be said for Parisian Restaurant which is pretty unrealistic when you consider it has only got 2 dining tables inside.

Another thing is that several identically furnished rooms would make for a fairly boring, repetitive build. So I imagine LEGO would be more likely to “scale down” a hotel if they did one — at most, maybe two or three normal rooms and a penthouse suite.

Personally I doubt we’ll have a hotel because first of all, it would be very unsurprising/expected for everyone who watched the designer video of the DD, and secondly, the next modular is corner building according to the cycle which are smaller than the normal ones... 

What do you guys think we can have except a hotel? I know there’re many things possible but what seems to you like the most possible and important? 

On 15/02/2018 at 1:32 PM, AFOLguy1970 said:

I am trying to MOC one right now. 

Nice, look forward to seeing it! Will it be your first MOC?

36 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

Personally I doubt we’ll have a hotel because first of all, it would be very unsurprising/expected for everyone who watched the designer video of the DD, and secondly, the next modular is corner building according to the cycle which are smaller than the normal ones... 

What do you guys think we can have except a hotel? I know there’re many things possible but what seems to you like the most possible and important? 

Nice, look forward to seeing it! Will it be your first MOC?

Funny thing is that the one I am designing is a corner building.  I think I found a way to make one using just that space and the parts count should come in between 2000-3000 parts.  The rooms will all be different in some way to avoid the repetitiveness that many hotels have.  Another way to save on space would be not to have a full bathroom in each room.  I will have something in each, but not necessary a bathtub, toilet, and sink in every room for example.  They will all have at least one bed.   It will be similar to most other modulars in the sense that things like toilets are few and far between, although there will be one somewhere in the hotel.  One could also take the "shared bathroom" approach that is found in many European hotels.  That could also help free up some space.  Still playing with LDD and once I have that finalized, I will start the long process of saving money and making Bricklink orders.  My first completed MOC was actually a courthouse based on one of the counties in Central Texas.  This will hopefully be my second building.  

On 2/15/2018 at 7:32 AM, AFOLguy1970 said:

Definitely do not think it will be Art Deco as they do not repeat the same design from the previous year in the new modular.  

Kristel one of the contributors here did a really nice Hotel that seemed to solve most issues you mention. 

https://modularsbykristel.com/lion-heart-hotel/

3 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Personally I doubt we’ll have a hotel because first of all, it would be very unsurprising/expected for everyone who watched the designer video of the DD, and secondly, the next modular is corner building according to the cycle which are smaller than the normal ones.

Another point I'd considered is that I would expect a hotel building to include some sort of a lift/elevator. Assuming this was designed in a similar way to the one in town hall, it would need the lift mechanism to be accessed from the back of the building. I can't see how this would work very well if the hotel was a corner building though as the majority of the back would be covered up when other modulars are attached to the sides.

I suppose it wouldn't necessarily have to include an elevator but I would expect this is a feature most people would expect to see in a hotel.

Edited by Bricked1980

So ... have we all moved away from thinking that the hotel comment could have been a hint at a re-release of Cafe Corner, albeit with modifications due to part unavailability? I thought that was the prevalent theory / rumour for a while?

6 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

So ... have we all moved away from thinking that the hotel comment could have been a hint at a re-release of Cafe Corner, albeit with modifications due to part unavailability?

I'd love them to do a "reboot" of cafe corner but only if they released it separately and in addition to the annual modular releases. I'd be pretty disappointed if this turned out to be the main modular release for 2019 next January. I'd rather the next set was a completely new building.

6 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I'd love them to do a "reboot" of cafe corner but only if they released it separately and in addition to the annual modular releases. I'd be pretty disappointed if this turned out to be the main modular release for 2019 next January. I'd rather the next set was a completely new building.

My sentiments, exactly.
No problem whatsoever with reboots, but I still need my yearly fix of a new modular :sweet:

The new Brickheadz Set 41597 Go Brick Me has been revealed, that set let you design your own Brickheadz! Really love that idea and think that this is a very good step. It would be awesome if they make a similar modular set IMO, it would be a great way to get a handful selection of parts for a reasonable price and more people would start to make MOCs so the AFOL community would grow! Would you guys be happy with a design your own modular set?