The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

13 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

Will the diner have an early release for VIP members? if so, when?

I dont recall there ever being an early release for a modular, especially on anything from PR onwards.  January 1 is a hard release date, which unfortunately means either ordering at midnight Eastern time on New Year's Eve or getting to the Lego Store well before opening.  This is of course just for the people that have to have one that first week of January one way or the other.  Fortunately, I can wait a little bit this time.  It will not be like MF or the Saturn V where you have to be at the right place at the right time.  

10 hours ago, Elysiumfountain said:

Or steer the conversation back to building types

Hmmm, good thinking! While I do have some reservations about the way the streamline moderne style is implemented within DD, I am glad to see Lego trying to embrace a specific style.

However if I had one style at number one on my wish list for Lego then it would be Art Nouveau. There isn’t much in the way of Art Nouveau architecture (despite some incredibly iconic decorative features and signage), but what there is (the best example I have seen seen personally is Alesund in Norway), has a very charming European style that is a perfect fit for Lego.

There are already some great curved decorative elements that could be used, and with the increasing numbers of curves and bows, I bet someone could do a really great job once given the ability to get part recolours.

21 hours ago, DeanLearner said:

However if I had one style at number one on my wish list for Lego then it would be Art Nouveau. There isn’t much in the way of Art Nouveau architecture (despite some incredibly iconic decorative features and signage), but what there is (the best example I have seen seen personally is Alesund in Norway), has a very charming European style that is a perfect fit for Lego.

There are already some great curved decorative elements that could be used, and with the increasing numbers of curves and bows, I bet someone could do a really great job once given the ability to get part recolours.

Oooh, that could be awesome! :sweet:

While the Miami Beach, Streamlined Moderne style of the Downtown Diner has left a slight division amongst fans, I can't see there being much dislike for a Art Nouveau styled modular. Here's a few architectural examples from Pinterest that could serve as appropriate scaled inspiration.

Spoiler

2855ffc1779e857269fdcd4f91b9e2e3.jpge4f5a3ad84f4a696d7a298b0124f9976.jpg4bfa19b1d4064f395a2b079a262fffa8.jpg

Also, there is this one Ideas project that is still active based upon a Paris Metro entrance that is most ornate. I don't know if Lego would ever accept such a project if it passed the 10K mark, but it's still cool nonetheless.

LEGO Ideas - Art Nouveau Metro Entrance

Spoiler

4690446-o_1bmjceurl1pks57d1jfa157b1lc2c-

On 12/9/2017 at 4:26 PM, Lucarex said:

As much as it's often cited by architecture types as "ahead of its time", Trellick Tower is such an unattractive eyesore that it deserves to be made out of MegaBl*ks.

I think the tower looks rad.

Also, Art Nouveau might be cool to see.

Furthermore, here's the quote about faces for those that didn't want to click:

Over the past 10 years our modular buildings have evolved in many ways. We’ve added more interior details, more story-telling and more emotional triggers such as unique decorations on windows & Minifigure torsos. We now feel the time is right to bring the Minifigure expression in line with all the amazing details now offered throughout our models. We have always loved the classic smiley face for its versatility and nostalgia value, but are now excited to explore the new possibilities expressive faces will offer us.

Fair enough.

It felt like a huge earthquake now even the minifigures from the modular sets have modern expressions. I'll get used to it soon, but it made me wonder:

Does anyone think we'll once see yellow minifigures in all lines be replaced by flesh-toned minifigures?

11 minutes ago, Wesley D said:

Does anyone think we'll once see yellow minifigures in all lines be replaced by flesh-toned minifigures?

No. At least not in the next couple years. It has been stated by TLC that flesh-figs are reserved for licensed themes only. I don't think that stance will change soon.

1 hour ago, Wesley D said:

I doubt it, due to complaints about race, discrimination (putting the "wrong" colour face in the wrong job) and so on.

1 hour ago, Capparezza said:

No. At least not in the next couple years. It has been stated by TLC that flesh-figs are reserved for licensed themes only. I don't think that stance will change soon.

8 minutes ago, MAB said:

I doubt it, due to complaints about race, discrimination (putting the "wrong" colour face in the wrong job) and so on.

That was my first idea too, but even the not licensed Friends line has flesh colored mini-dolls. Since we just saw change is eventual, I fear there's no certainty in continuity.

I only collect yellow minifigures, but I notice I get used very fast to the more realistic colors. When I see a yellow minifigure next to them the yellow one feels a bit off. They don't mix very well.

The licensed minifigures form an ever-larger group and gets more detailed, especially with even specific licensed LEGO movies and sets being released, while on the other hand the traditional Collectable Minifigure Figure line becomes less frequent.

It's getting difficult to decide what and in which ammount I should bother collecting. I hope I won't be forced to replace a carefully collected mass of yellow minifigures.

I think Friends is all about explicit diversity, so the flesh colors make sense, and perhaps their test audiences liked that more. Yellow skin isn't going away despite Lando Calrissian ruining the idea that it doesn't represent any particular group years ago.

I feel like if LEGO wants to be truly inclusive, introducing more skin tones to non-licensed themes may be inevitable in the long run. I’ve heard numerous questions both in person and online about why there aren’t more black people in sets. I’ve never heard anyone ask why there aren’t more white people. LEGO’s intent is for the yellow-skinned minifigure to be racially neutral, but the reality is that light-skinned people like me can see themselves in it fairly easily, yet the same can’t be said to the same extent for darker-skinned people.

Obviously there are a lot of reasons that there hasn’t been more pressure to make this happen. One is that the LEGO fandom in the highly race-conscious United States is disproportionately white (economic inequality probably being a contributing factor to that, since the average white family in the US is overwhelmingly wealthier than the average black family). Another is that boys, who most minifigure-based themes primarily appeal to, don’t tend to put as much emphasis on having figures that look like them and can serve as avatars for themselves as girls do. Denmark, where LEGO originates, is also highly racially homogeneous, diminishing internal pressures on the company to make their toys more racially inclusive. And of course, tradition and the iconic status of the yellow minifigure are a powerful motivator to keep things as they are.

Nevertheless, I feel like LEGO may be somewhat sabotaging their appeal with certain races by keeping darker skin tones largely constrained to the licensed themes, which have their own representation issues due to uneven representation within the film industry.

Interesting to see a first review. It's nice to read it was a fun build!

It confirms the car is the least interesting in this set, but based on its looks I guess it's better than the black one that came with Palace Cinema.

However I can't agree with the next lines:

The box contains a whopping 2480 pieces. To put that into context, the First Order Heavy Assault Walker and First Order Star Destroyer from the Star Wars range are the same price and both have over 1000 pieces fewer. For a non-licensed comparison, the Palace Cinema – the same price but in the Modular Buildings series – has 2194 parts. Numbers aren’t everything, but you definitely won’t feel short-changed here.

The licensed sets are always way too expensive and should never become a standard to compare. One could call everything cheap compared to those!

The price of Downtown Diner over here is € 169,99, while Palace Cinema costs € 139,99.

Also, modular buildings often have a lot of small parts, so it is normal that they have a low price-per-part.

Weight should be taken in account and not only part count :)

On 15-12-2017 at 6:00 PM, Aanchir said:

I feel like if LEGO wants to be truly inclusive, introducing more skin tones to non-licensed themes may be inevitable in the long run.

Denmark, where LEGO originates, is also highly racially homogeneous, diminishing internal pressures on the company to make their toys more racially inclusive. And of course, tradition and the iconic status of the yellow minifigure are a powerful motivator to keep things as they are. ...

You brought up some very interesting insights!

In Europe there is a increasing immigration going on. Political correctness is very present and I guess LEGO will try to keep themselfes as long as possible out of the debate by hiding behind the yellow minifigures, but I guess there will come a day they'll make the shift.

With the introduction of skin-colored minifigures they have crossed a border. Most of us AFOLs have nostalgic feelings about the yellow faces, but the younger audience grows up with both flesh and yellow. I wouldn't be suprised the more realistic one is more appealing and will finally become the new standard, also due to the succes of the licensed themes.

1 hour ago, Matti said:

So.. Whats the deal with the designer video - does it exist? 

I don’t know but just found these two videos:

2 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

[Video 1]

Thanks for sharing! 13:50-16:36 is the best part, its "not going to go away". :grin: Good choice Lego design team. Can't recall any discussion about that very valid point with the baby in Assembly Sqaure, it seemingly went unnoticed.

Edited by koalayummies

3 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Thanks for sharing! 13:50-16:36 is the best part, its "not going to go away". :grin: Good choice Lego design team. Can't recall any discussion about that very valid point with the baby in Assembly Sqaure, it seemingly went unnoticed.

The white dots in the eyes of the baby had drawn my attention before when I opened 'Fun at the Park' and especially when I assembled my avatar family (with my newborn son :cry_happy:). It was the main reason why I went for faces with expressions, while I normally go for classic faces like they always came with the modulars, the line I try (!) to limit my LEGO hobby to. 

I haven't built my copy of Assembly Square yet, but the white dots were something I had found striking on the pictures and even a bit out of place. I just thought TLC hadn't the will to print another face for the baby just for this set. We could have seen the change in faces comming!

After all I'm glad with the modern faces, it's just a pity they didn't come sooner as there is now a discrepancy between the figures.

Edited by Wesley D

14 hours ago, Wesley D said:

With the introduction of skin-colored minifigures they have crossed a border. Most of us AFOLs have nostalgic feelings about the yellow faces, but the younger audience grows up with both flesh and yellow. I wouldn't be suprised the more realistic one is more appealing and will finally become the new standard, also due to the succes of the licensed themes.

I think so too. And I welcome it. I love the variety. I would have thought the the CMF series would have been a good place to expand on more flesh tone faces. Some of the series have green, blue faces so I don't see why LEGO can't include more flesh tone faces in the future series.

On 12/17/2017 at 9:20 AM, LegoModularFan said:

How weird, Mike (the designer) says in that first video that their first rough concept for 2018's modular was for a automobile dealership, and I was just talking about that as a possible modular successor in the previous page of this topic. :oh3: 

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:20 AM, LegoModularFan said:

Thanks for those. Does anyone know what was being said at the start of the first video? Something about originally planning / designing the 2018 Modular, but they deemed it too similar to one of the buildings in Assembly Square so it has been shelved for now?

Very interesting that they were originally trying to do a car dealership. I can understand why they set it aside, mainly due to space issues. Still, it would have been nice to get a business other than another food-related business.

I also found it interesting that the designer said, I think it was in the second video, that he doesn't know what makes the Modulars so appealing. I would have thought Lego would do market research about that? Otherwise, what prompted them to substantially increase the level of interior detail at the cost of smaller / less grand facades and footprints for the buildings? Or perhaps that was just the designers preference? It's odd that the designer acknowledges that Modulars are typically displayed on a shelf (when he mentions that no-one usually sees the back), but they're still focusing so much on the interiors at the expense of the exterior.

Finally, in the first video, I think one of the questioners mentioned that Jamie used to do similar talks explaining the development of earlier Modulars. Does anyone know where to find those? I can only seem to find the "official" designer videos which simply explain the set, not the development process.

I’ll get the set & look forward to the build surprises that the designer speaks to, but truth be told I just don’t find the interior details too exciting overall.  I know that we have the ability to add more furnishings as we see fit.  I think PR’s kitchen was so rich with detail that is what’s lacking here.  I also have to admit I get caught up on the fact the diner has no refrigerator that I can see.