The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I forgot MS ( for me this is not real modular). After MS, DD is the first in the list of the worst modular.

11 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

tumblr_n1l77aKzTG1qbs6i5o1_1280.jpg

10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

2987130364_00c04044c2.jpg

Good find guys. These look amazing. Something similar incorporated into a future modular would be awesome.

I don't quite understand the discussion of worst modular. To me, it seems they all have a place. Of course some are better than others and each design is subjective based on the individuals taste. Taken as a whole though, the entire line paints a pretty good picture of what a town might look like. When I read, "such and such is the worst" I read that as the set isn't really worthy of inclusion in the line. The Modular Theme is going on 11 years. When Café Corner first came out I never dreamed that over a decade latter the Modular's would still be around. At this point, I will buy any new Modular that comes out. Having had the luck of starting with Café Corner when it came out I've gotten each one since. No reason to stop now.

I really hope another Miami-inspired building is next, to complement DD. I think the time is right for another hotel, personally, but if they're going with a more classic, early 20th century look, something we haven't seen before like a school or a grand old post office would be welcome. Have we ever actually gotten an official school set? As long as it's not another eatery, I'm fine with it. As to the colour on this one, has it been confirmed that it's the same Dark Teal as the old '90s colour, or are we just assuming that it is? Many of the recent colour additions are slightly brighter shades of previously discontinued colours.

Edited by Qahne

7 minutes ago, Qahne said:

I really hope another Miami-inspired building is next, to complement DD. I think the time is right for another hotel, personally, but if they're going with a more classic, early 20th century look, something we haven't seen before like a school or a grand old post office would be welcome. Have we ever actually gotten an official school set? As long as it's not another eatery, I'm fine with it. As to the colour on this one, has it been confirmed that it's the same Dark Teal as the old '90s colour, or are we just assuming that it is? Many of the recent colour additions are slightly brighter shades of previously discontinued colours.

It's been confirmed by people who work in the Legoland model shops that it's the same color coming back.

Great! I always found it weird that they retired it, there hasn't been a similar shade since. The absence of teal really shows in the Simpsons sets, hopefully we'll get some plates and tiles in the future to redo the floors there.

I really like the Diner! It will give another vibe to the City and the street. Can't wait to add it to my collection :)

4 hours ago, Qahne said:

I really hope another Miami-inspired building is next, to complement DD. I think the time is right for another hotel, personally, but if they're going with a more classic, early 20th century look, something we haven't seen before like a school or a grand old post office would be welcome. Have we ever actually gotten an official school set? As long as it's not another eatery, I'm fine with it. 

How about an Art Deco/Raygun Gothic styled car dealership? :classic:

30 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

How about an Art Deco/Raygun Gothic styled car dealership? :classic:

Car dealership would be hard to do as a modular I feel, given that at least the dealerships I'm used to devote a lot more of their space to their lot than to their building (unless this is just a joke about how many people are frustrated with getting cars in modular building sets).

9 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Car dealership would be hard to do as a modular I feel, given that at least the dealerships I'm used to devote a lot more of their space to their lot than to their building.

I guess I more was proposing a automobile showroom, with the showroom on the first floor, and a couple of offices on the second floor. However, the showroom though would only be able to showcase no more than a single automobile.

16 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

(unless this is just a joke about how many people are frustrated with getting cars in modular building sets)

No, I was serious, but that is funny since that didn't even cross my mind when I had initially proposed the idea. :laugh:

The classic Main Street had a car dealership, it could definitely be done for a modular. I can almost imagine the curves it would have...

18 hours ago, Qahne said:

The classic Main Street had a car dealership, it could definitely be done for a modular. I can almost imagine the curves it would have...

How about something like this, but with a second story? It may not have the curves like you mentioned, but it certainly would be a rather different Art Deco beauty. :blush:

Roadarch - Former Pierce-Arrow Motor Car Company Showroom, Buffalo, NY

v.jpg

On 04/12/2017 at 9:55 PM, ElectroDiva said:

Ah come on - who wouldn't love something like this for the next modular?

The+Grade+II*+listed+Trellick+Tower+as+s

As much as it's often cited by architecture types as "ahead of its time", Trellick Tower is such an unattractive eyesore that it deserves to be made out of MegaBl*ks.

On 12/4/2017 at 11:20 AM, Goldenmasamune said:

I don't understand why the detailed faces vs smiley faces is even a debate? If you don't like the current faces, just change em!

Sometimes change is hard to take. Especially a sudden & unexpected one such as this. When something goes 11 years, then a big change occurs, people are naturally going to be upset. Plus, the s classic faces give a nice sense of nostalgia. That’s the main reason why I’m upset over the change. I’m okay with the new faces, just bummed at the change.

Edited by Vindicare

On 12/9/2017 at 9:26 PM, Lucarex said:

As much as it's often cited by architecture types as "ahead of its time", Trellick Tower is such an unattractive eyesore that it deserves to be made out of MegaBl*ks.

Harsh to inflict it even on Megablocks fans...

Joking aside though, a run down modular building of some kind *would* add a bit of character to a Lego city. Not Trellick tower, but something else that takes some design cues from Haunted House for example?

Or one of those abandoned houses we saw being blown up in the LEGO Movie! But with the option to have a run down and a pristine version, like a 2 in 1 or something 

8 hours ago, Elysiumfountain said:

Or one of those abandoned houses we saw being blown up in the LEGO Movie! But with the option to have a run down and a pristine version, like a 2 in 1 or something 

That really is a cool idea!

3 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

TLG has spoken out about changing the classic minifig faces in Downtown Diner...

http://www.brickfanatics.co.uk/lego-10260-downtown-diner-where-are-the-classic-minifigures/

Nothing too surprising or enlightening in that explanation, but it's good to have them weigh in on the issue. Best I can figure it is LEGO trying to respond to the changing expectations of the market. Between people who grew up with more detailed minifigure faces as the default and people who only became LEGO fans as teens or adults, there's bound to be a lot of people nowadays for whom generic faces are an anomaly in otherwise highly detailed sets rather than a trip down memory lane.

38 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

Will the diner have an early release for VIP members? if so, when?

Supposedly not.

18 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

TLG has spoken out about changing the classic minifig faces in Downtown Diner...

http://www.brickfanatics.co.uk/lego-10260-downtown-diner-where-are-the-classic-minifigures/

Uh oh, fuel to the fire, a flareup, duck and cover! Quick, back to discussing anything but minifigure faces for the love of Christiansen. AFOL can't handle the faces!:laugh:

Indeed! Good point @koalayummies. Let's talk about your chair! Lol jk. Or steer the conversation back to building types, or LEGO parkland, or why TLG can produce saxophones but not trumpets and trombones. Anything but the Great Face Debate