The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

16 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

The official pictures make the set look a lot better, but for now I just do not "feel" it. It will stay around for some years, I am in no hurry.

I'm the same. 

Yes I was one those that thought the earlier image was a fake but having seeing the official pics it looks better but still not a priority buy. If I do get it I may change the faces.

Lego have missed an opportunity with this set in not making it a true corner imo, plus another eatery, many others functions we could have had that would have balanced things out.

At least the price is not bad.

This may be the first modular in the 2nd phase, so may work and fit in better with the next 9.

Roll on 2019 to see what fits next to it! :grin: 

Edited by scottwb2010

I still dislike the car. But these official images about the building shows some interesting details. With its half corner / end-of-the-row design could fit fine at the edge of my town. For me, this is definitely not a downtown building. I like it better now. If I buy it, I will definitely not build the car.

2 minutes ago, jaesroe said:

It would have been way happier if the next modular design is some sort of paupadros's Magic shop  style building. To me unveiled 2018 modular gives me only one good news the TLG has not discontinued 'Modular Theme'  so we could wait 2019 modular building...

Thanks man! For long I thought we wouldn't ever get again a modular in the PR/TH/PC... way. One only building. The only thing good about this. This makes my modular not look so out of place now. Btw, I should update its interior with the new curved window/mirro from Joker Manor. The pictures make it look depressing though, the colours of their pictures look so horrendously dull! I've just finished a new modular, hopefully posting it soon! Just need some rendering to be done!

12 minutes ago, jaesroe said:

It would have been way happier if the next modular design is some sort of paupadros's Magic shop  style building. To me unveiled 2018 modular gives me only one good news the TLG has not discontinued 'Modular Theme'  so we could wait 2019 modular building...

I'd argue that that style of design would fit less with the current crop of modulars than the Diner- the majority of them have been American-esque early 1900s to 1920s buildings, whereas that looks like a gothic Bavarian building. Not to say that that style couldn't be worked into a modular, moreso that it fits the general theme less than a 1950s style diner/apartment.

Just now, Goldenmasamune said:

Hey guys it still might just be a really good and convincing fake that is fooling everyone!

Yeah! There's just a weird color filter over those hi-res images, that's really dark azure! :laugh:

6 minutes ago, paupadros said:

Thanks man! For long I thought we wouldn't ever get again a modular in the PR/TH/PC... way. One only building. The only thing good about this. This makes my modular not look so out of place now. Btw, I should update its interior with the new curved window/mirro from Joker Manor. The pictures make it look depressing though, the colours of their pictures look so horrendously dull! I've just finished a new modular, hopefully posting it soon! Just need some rendering to be done!

I REALLY enjoy the look of this thing.

If this were a set I'd buy it in a heartbeat

Thanks a lot! Doing my best to top it, but very hard to do... :grin:

I cannot agree with you more. That was the type of Design that I am so eager to see as an official lego Modular building. When I saw Ninjago modular scale building (sorry I forgot the set's name) that was so great...except the theme was not my favourite one.. Could we see such a level of modular building as a 2019 model?

Modulars meet Friends ... I wasn't sure about the leaked pic being a fake or not, and that means something. While I like the window front and the shaping of the roof, I'm not sold on the upper floors which look rather plain and too small. The car seems to come straight out of a Friends or Simpsons set, it rather looks like a pimped Mini than a proper landyacht which would be required here. All in all: I'm underwhelmed by this.

Edited by ER0L

I personally really like it, especially with the full-res images. I must just be a sucker for that kind of offset tower structure, but it just draws me in (same with the GG). I'm a little sad that a gym was included, because that was the core of my next modular MOC! Still, it'll give me some ideas to work with! The Cadillac looks much better than the limo from PC, though not quite as good as the fire engine from the FB. That diner is wonderful though, has everything that I'd want in it! You could even do a pretty good recreation of some scenes in Baby Driver there! And I think my personal favorite detail is probably the soundproofing in the recording studio- I would have figured cheese slopes at first, but gear tooth plates are an amazing way to do it well!

Just now, Dakar A said:

And I think my personal favorite detail is probably the soundproofing in the recording studio- I would have figured cheese slopes at first, but gear tooth plates are an amazing way to do it well!

That wheel as microphone is pretty darn genius too!

Sorry but ugh. Just unappealing on so many levels.

Did they employ a designer fresh from the Friends line? For example, compare that ridiculously awful pink DINER sign with the POOL hall neon of the DO. 

I thought AS was a disappointment but this goes further. None of the the subtle charm of previous modulars that we've been spoilt with over the years.

On the plus side, saves shelf space and cash for 2019!

This late announcement brings one positive now - it will be out only within a month from now (+1 day) :) Very happy about its design and look, instant love :) Jan. 1th is monday this time so it could be here in Czech on market then :) Or I will order it form official shop (and wait those terrible up to 9 days :D) 

30 minutes ago, jaesroe said:

http://zusammengebaut.com/lego-creator-expert-downtown-diner-10260-modular-building-2018-vorgestellt-39043/

Exterior...ok someone said Art deco. HA... ok could be seen deco style or whatever  fine. 

The architectural style of this building is definitely influenced by late Art Deco, Streamline Moderne (PWA Moderne) with some hinting of Googie/futurist. Art Deco is rather wide ranging from the conservatively styled Chrysler Building or Los Angeles City Hall to the louder and more flamboyant styles found in Miami Beach and the numerous now faded dilapidated structures around California (and current day Johnny Rockets). This Diner being the latter; the louder, curvier and more colorful Deco/Moderne.

image.jpg

Johnny-Rockets-Melrose.jpg?fit=900,611&ssl=1

6 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Sorry but ugh. Just unappealing on so many levels.

Did they employ a designer fresh from the Friends line? For example, compare that ridiculously awful pink DINER sign with the POOL hall neon of the DO. 

I thought AS was a disappointment but this goes further. None of the the subtle charm of previous modulars that we've been spoilt with over the years.

On the plus side, saves shelf space and cash for 2019!

If it is by a designer from the Friends theme it would certainly explain its creative excellence, considering Friends sets tend to excel at incorporating fantastic details even at a fairly low 5+ overall age range. But honestly, just because the designer isn’t allergic to the color pink doesn’t mean they were pulled off another theme. It just means they have more imagination than you do.

Let this be yet another lesson to everyone who commented with unwavering certainty that this was FAKE because of 'x,y, and z'.  Remember, it's ok to be wrong but it isn't ok to be certain you're right when you're wrong.  I might be mistaken though.  

The bright colours are definitely...different. It looks okay, but it doesn't look like a modular to me. Am I alone in missing the classic face in this line? I always felt it was one of the factors that made it seem more mature. The newer faces and the awful car make it feel more like a mini-modular that''s been scaled up than part of the actual adult line to me.

Edited by Qahne

Just now, Qahne said:

The bright colours are definitely...different. It looks okay, but it doesn't look like a modular to me. Am I alone in missing the classic faces? The newer faces and the awful car make it feel more like a mini-modular that''s been scaled up than part of the actual adult line to me.

What makes it "not-modular" ? Maybe you had different expectations from the line, but it is modular because it is made of modules :D No matter you like/dislike colour scheme, size etc... 

Yep those smiley faces were some "trade mark" for modular building series but maybe its time to move on. AS closed some decade, and maybe this one is beginning of new one. It would be boring to have every year big boxy building which will perfectly fit some overlived scheme... 

I wouldn't be surprised if Lego included a pile of classic face heads to the set to appeal to those who prefer that look

I think the new classic boxes may be a nod to that.  

Glad to have finally seen the pictures. Pretty weak all over IMO. The one set a year I look forward to and it feels pretty 'meh'. I'm a big fan of and have built many Art-Deco/Streamline MOCs and I do alot of study into the architecture before and whilst building and this modular just feels lacking in technique and interest. The top two floors in tan are seriously lacking. It would of been a good chance to do a more interesting colour to reflect the period, the windows and lintels are dull and the roofline is not much better. I'd much rather they had continued the whole theme of the white/teal/pink all over as part of a corner rather than filling it with this bland tan/black/grey combo.

For me the car is a waste of space - looks a bit too chibi for my liking. I'd rather they used the pieces for some other details - perhaps the interior. The diner seems okay but the floors above seem like an afterthought. Lacking in any interesting details - the minibuilds look very uninspiring.

It's not ALL bad though - I prefer normal minfigure smiley faces but the ones they have selected are nice, I can still get normal smileys from Bricks and pieces. The minifigure torso's are decent too. The teal colour I wouldn't say no to either, not sure how much is downstairs but it could come in useful for something. The price is decent for here in the UK for the amount of pieces.

Personally I think it would of been a better building as a complete corner set, much of the side stairs and 'eyebrow' are probably going to get 'lost' when connected up against another building. I think this diner concept would of been much better suited being a two floor building with a tall downstairs with a mezzanine floor with more tables and perhaps 'memorabilia' on the other walls and then an apartment above.

I still haven't purchased AS but looking at the last three modular buildings in a row, it seems quite a big come down compared to AS from last year. I'd be interested if anyone can truly say that this is 'progress' or that 'modulars just keep getting better'. I think the modular buildings sell well no matter what so maybe they don't even have to try very hard thesedays.

The modulars almost all have a similar architectural language, except for Palace Cinema, they all look like parts of a generic Main Street USA. This is a big stylistic departure, and I can't see it meshing with my current street. And just like PC, it looks a little...flat. It's not what I expected after AS, it looks a little simplified compared to previous ones. If I do get it, it will probably be on its own.

Edited by Qahne