The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Just now, Goldenmasamune said:

The gap drives me nuts! I've think I need to turn this into a corner

Ha, I love the gap! :)

Just now, newwavejunkie said:

Just2good posted a video on it. Not sure where to find the photos yet. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrjpLZZRRJY

It looks great. Glad to see there is a row of bricks next to the stairs that hold the technic pins to connect to other modulars. On this mornings leak it wasn't clear if these would be included on the left side of the model or not.

Good gravy, 2400 pieces? I hope it's bigger than it looks, because for what I can expect to be ~230 CAD, it looks pretty small!

Looks like a great set, and it might just get me to grab the Detective's office, too. I agree with J2G, though, in that the tan section should have been white.

Just now, K_Tiger said:

Looks like a great set, and it might just get me to grab the Detective's office, too. I agree with J2G, though, in that the tan section should have been white.

Not at all white would've totallt ruined it. And the interior of the gym... :hmpf_bad: not great.

Just now, K_Tiger said:

Even if the bricks were white, after a few years of being on display on a shelf they would turn in to tan anyway lol.

Edited by Bricked1980

Agree to disagree.

Just now, paupadros said:

Not at all white would've totallt ruined it.

Agree to disagree. Time to spin up the Miami Vice dvds and look for alternate color ideas.

Just now, Bricked1980 said:

Even if the bricks were white, after a few years of being on display on a shelf they would turn tan anyway lol.

What's in the air over in the UK that white bricks turn tan? :laugh:

Edited by K_Tiger

This really should have been a corner building.  As a standalone building, this works fairly well in a way similar to PR. It only has one side that I would want to hide (the right) Problem is that in a group it easily exposes the bad side of whatever building is to the left of it.  Having a boxing ring above the diner does not make a lot of sense.  I guess it will add some "bass" to whatever is coming out of the jukebox.  The interior of the diner and recording studio looks good.  The Pink Caddy is not too bad.  Guess they are adding facial expressions after all.  And Jims is going to be without an apostrophe, although it does not matter to me too much.  Wonder what the price will be........

Just now, AFOLguy1970 said:

This really should have been a corner building.  As a standalone building, this works fairly well in a way similar to PR. It only has one side that I would want to hide (the right) Problem is that in a group it easily exposes the bad side of whatever building is to the left of it.  Having a boxing ring above the diner does not make a lot of sense.  I guess it will add some "bass" to whatever is coming out of the jukebox.  The interior of the diner and recording studio looks good.  The Pink Caddy is not too bad.  Guess they are adding facial expressions after all.  And Jims is going to be without an apostrophe, although it does not matter to me too much.  Wonder what the price will be........

$169.99

220 CAD, not all that bad. The Diner looks damn good. I don't really mind the gap, perhaps it'll look best next to the Parisian Restaurant, which has a gap on the right side.

Is the designer video out, yet?

One thing that bugs me is that I'm not seeing new parts or building techniques - things that were immediately visible when Assembly Square was revealed.

Edited by Sammael

Just now, Sammael said:

One thing that bugs me is that I'm not seeing new parts of building techniques - things that were immediately visible when Assembly Square was revealed.

I definitely see some neat building techniques... the Technic towball to allow the punching bag to swing, small windows on the side of the radio station, and hood over the grill all stand out to me as amazing techniques.

The official pictures make the set look a lot better, but for now I just do not "feel" it. It will stay around for some years, I am in no hurry.

I guess my "2018 modular" will be Ninjago City. And I still have not got the Brick Bank. Yeah, I am in no hurry.

This may be one where I try building it as a mirror image. I'm  not loving how it looks next to AS, but I never like to display them in order anyways. May try putting the staircase on the right side and displaying it next to BB. Overall I love this set, and I see plenty of interesting building techniques, most notably the new technique to minimize the floor seams and the SNOT facade treatment.

the announcement i look forward to yearly, but alas it's somehow not as exciting as yester years. perhaps it's the lack of familiar smiley faces, or the smooth curves which i feel are out of place when next to the first 12 modulars. then again, perhaps it's also a good time to start on a new page with this series now in it's eleventh year. I hope to be proved wrong when I start building the set come January.

On 11/21/2017 at 4:00 PM, LegoSjaak said:

Haha....my girlfriend also always wants to know why i need multiples.... this picture is not good enough to use for some digital modding or XL-ing!!

The floor is yours maestro

http://zusammengebaut.com/lego-creator-expert-downtown-diner-10260-modular-building-2018-vorgestellt-39043/

Ok....I saw the official image and I can say that this is quite a disappointing modular building. Exterior...ok someone said Art deco. HA... ok could be seen deco style or whatever  fine. 

Then...what about the interior design? one of the trends of recent modulars are relatively well packed and designed interior detail with lots of interesting features and density.. But this diner?

Ground floor, reminiscent of Back to the futures Lou's cafe seems....ok but what about 1st and 2nd floor? In particular 1st floor's boxing gym is...but expected more planned interior design like DO's office or AS's dentist or AFOL room. this quite be very a subjective view but...

It would have been way happier if the next modular design is some sort of paupadros's Magic shop  style building. To me unveiled 2018 modular gives me only one good news the TLG has not discontinued 'Modular Theme'  so we could wait 2019 modular building...

13 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

And Jims is going to be without an apostrophe, although it does not matter to me too much.  

Maybe it doesn't belong to Jim?  Maybe it is a place for all Jims.  I do like the pun of Jims with a gym above.  Maybe the Jims is referring to a place belonging to Jim plus THE gym above hence the plural.  Regardless, it is funny to me.  I'm excited for this set but my initial feeling for the set puts it somewhere below PR (my number 1) and somewhere above Brick Bank which is 4 or 5 for me.