The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

30 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

On topic, if only one of the two original modulars were updated to have interiors and re-released, which would you want it to be?

Cafe Corner?
Market Street?

This should give you an idea of demand for the two sets: https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Advanced-Models/subtheme-Modular-Buildings. 9600+ Brickset users want Cafe Corner, versus 5500+ who want Market Street. This despite nearly 2x as many people already owning Cafe Corner versus Market Street.

Demand for Cafe Corner and Green Grocer is far higher than any other modular... if LEGO does decide to re-release a modular set, it would most logically be one of those two.

Just now, jdubbs said:

This should give you an idea of demand for the two sets: https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Advanced-Models/subtheme-Modular-Buildings. 9600+ Brickset users want Cafe Corner, versus 5500+ who want Market Street. This despite nearly 2x as many people already owning Cafe Corner versus Market Street.

Demand for Cafe Corner and Green Grocer is far higher than any other modular... if LEGO does decide to re-release a modular set, it would most logically be one of those two.

I'd want a re-release of green grocer so bad. I currently have a *insert knock off brand here* version sitting on my shelf and I'd love to replace it with the real thing.

When you buy sets from knock off brands you support them and what they are doing - stealing intellectual property. They don’t spend any time trying to come up with their own ideas!

Just now, ddavid said:

When you buy sets from knock off brands you support them and what they are doing - stealing intellectual property. They don’t spend any time trying to come up with their own ideas!

But is that any better than supporting scalpers who buy and hold the set to turn a massive profit later? It's the lego fan's trolley problem!

1 minute ago, ddavid said:

I have so much mixed feelings on this. On one hand, they are making a long retired product attainable at an affordable price. On the other, it's stealing ideas. I am especially upset that they stole the designs of AFOL and are selling those.

If there were a way I could just give Lego 200 bucks and receive a cafe corner or a grocer, I'd happily do so. In fact I did so many years ago when they came out, but lost them to theft.

Anyways I feel kind of dirty having them, and will happily replace them with the real thing should I get the chance.

Edited by Goldenmasamune

2 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

On one hand, they are making a long retired product attainable at an affordable price. On the other, it's stealing ideas.

Yes its a choice between the relatively low priced knock off and the hugely  overpriced real set from eBay. None of the options are good. Hmmm...

What I do is just collecting the modulars that were available at that time. For the money I would spend on a retired set I much rather buy a couple of sets with a lot more pieces in total

I accepted the fact that I won’t have a complete collection (Lego would have to rerelease a bit more modulars than just GG or CC)

:)

Edited by ddavid

Just now, ddavid said:

Yes its a choice between the relatively low priced knock off and the hugely  overpriced real set from eBay. None of the options are good. Hmmm...

What I do is just collecting the modulars that were available at that time. For the money I would spend on a retired set I much rather buy a couple of sets with a lot more pieces in total

I accepted the fact that I won’t have a complete collection (Lego would have to rerelease a bit more modulars than just GG or CC)

:)

Of the three I don't have real copies of (CC, MS, GG) the only one I really want a real copy of is Green Grocer. The other two I feel haven't aged very well compared to the rest.

8 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

If there were a way I could just give Lego 200 bucks and receive a cafe corner or a grocer, I'd happily do so. In fact I did so many years ago when they came out, but lost them to theft.

What?! Since when do burglars know that Lego sets are sth more than a toy :) ?

I thought they would steal things like idk electronics, cash, jewelry or sth like that, but Lego? It’s quite hard to transport too. And wasn’t the police able to track them down? Like when they are selling those modulars or other valuables.

Anyway: that’s horrible!

24 minutes ago, Dakar A said:

But is that any better than supporting scalpers who buy and hold the set to turn a massive profit later? It's the lego fan's trolley problem!

Absolutely not! But if you are financially capable to invest, store and sell later on why not? You make money (for more Lego) and the buyer gets his/hers hands on a long-wanted set they was incapable to buy when in retail. Win-win! I have over 50 modulars, (40+ NISB). Maybe for investment, maybe for XLbuilds. Most likely for the last option. I would never buy lpine or similar brands, just because they`re not the real deal (and they steal others design).

Edited by Chilis

1 hour ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I heard me a rumor that the official announcement will be sometime between right now and a few months from now.

On topic, if only one of the two original modulars were updated to have interiors and re-released, which would you want it to be?

Cafe Corner?
Market Street?

Cafe Corner!

A, I can get a great stock of Dark Red to increase what I have...AND...the colors will match and it won't look like the rookie was working the color mix that day!

B, It really doesn't matter though because I cannot see LEGO rereleasing these sets with the old 5 stud tall doors.

5 minutes ago, ddavid said:

What?! Since when do burglars know that Lego sets are sth more than a toy :) ?

I thought they would steal things like idk electronics, cash, jewelry or sth like that, but Lego? It’s quite hard to transport too. And wasn’t the police able to track them down? Like when they are selling those modulars or other valuables.

Anyway: that’s horrible!

I was between places and had a bunch of lego in totes stored in a storage unit. They took several totes full of lego.

17 hours ago, DMoney said:

I heard months ago that Lego was considering making a minor-modular set that would be a park/fountain/fence/paths but it would still fit as part of their street design.  Did they go anywhere with this?

That would be so nice! From where did you learn that? Are there any more information and/or some plans about it?

13 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I heard me a rumor that the official announcement will be sometime between right now and a few months from now.

“Few months” is too much! Was hoping to hear the official announcement sometime between today and friday...

13 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

Cafe Corner?
Market Street?

Of course the CC! But if there is a re-release of the CC, in addition to that, I would like to see another (new) modular released in same year...

Edited by LegoModularFan

14 hours ago, ChrisPChicken said:

Done!

Haha, awesome :laugh::thumbup:

...and still all quiet on the western front... dang, LEGO, I need info now, otherwise I'll buy that awesome LEGO Technic Rally Car !

1 hour ago, Chilis said:

Absolutely not! But if you are financially capable to invest, store and sell later on why not? You make money (for more Lego) and the buyer gets his/hers hands on a long-wanted set they was incapable to buy when in retail. Win-win! I have over 50 modulars, (40+ NISB). Maybe for investment, maybe for XLbuilds.

As we suspected that Lego Shop@Home limit per household isn't working and they need to extend it to all retailers. "We restrict the limit a household can buy in order to be fair to all of our fans. If you’ve already reached that limit through previous orders your order may be cancelled."

"Too many of us now tend to worship self-indulgence and consumption. Human identity is no longer defined by what one does but by what one owns. But we've discovered that owning things and consuming things does not satisfy our longing for meaning. We've learned that piling up material goods cannot fill the emptiness of lives which have no confidence or purpose." -Some old guy who now just builds houses for free

Just now, koalayummies said:

As we suspected that Lego Shop@Home limit per household isn't working and they need to extend it to all retailers. "We restrict the limit a household can buy in order to be fair to all of our fans. If you’ve already reached that limit through previous orders your order may be cancelled."

"Too many of us now tend to worship self-indulgence and consumption. Human identity is no longer defined by what one does but by what one owns. But we've discovered that owning things and consuming things does not satisfy our longing for meaning. We've learned that piling up material goods cannot fill the emptiness of lives which have no confidence or purpose." -Some old guy who now just builds houses for free

I buy most of my modulars from a local toydealer if that change anything.

Seriously it’s nearly December 1st and Lego still have not released the news on the next modular(diner). Has it ever been this late?

8 minutes ago, davidmull said:

Seriously it’s nearly December 1st and Lego still have not released the news on the next modular(diner). Has it ever been this late?

Maybe they saw the poor reception of the leak images, and decided to pull the product, and go back to the drawing board to make a train station or a police station instead?

Just now, Goldenmasamune said:

Maybe they saw the poor reception of the leak images, and decided to pull the product, and go back to the drawing board to make a train station or a police station instead?

And the train station is gonna be 48x48 and accompany a re-release of the Emerald Night, right? :wink:

On 11/27/2017 at 10:33 AM, RogerSmith said:

@brickextreme2

I never noticed the missing apostrophe, though. But even a spelling error on a print wouldn't be a first (remember the DeLorean, for example). Interesting observation.

A lot of the points you bring up boil down to personal taste, regarding some of those that dont:

- no visual separation between floors does not mean they are not separatable. What we see is SNOT-construction with tiles facing us. You can see in the recession for the balcony that there appear to be plates/tiles on top on the part of the wall not facing towards the front (small brown lines), So it's propably safe to assume that the sides and propably the back of the building will feature the usual stripes.

- visible studs in big window construction: I don't get why this gets brought up. The window is built studs facing right, so its impossible to build it without some studs showing through. And why would a studs-on-the-side assembly spanning three floors be a sign that it was not the work of an expert builder?!

Hi RogerSmith,

You raise some good points. To clarify, I'm not referring to the separability of the floors, but the architectural design. Visually, Lego has recognized that separated floors is visually more appealing as it creates balance of height between the floors (including the bottom floor.)

I hesitate to raise the following point as I don't want anybody to get too hung up on this one point as I recognize it could be challenged. Lego makes it easier for us to buy multiple sets and stack them.  I admit that this could possibly be worked out in the build, but I'm thinking through the options for this build and they all seem less sturdy from a construction perspective than what Lego would do. Take another look at this build and think about how buying a second set would easily enable us to make it taller. For example, the white disc that overlaps the second floor and roofline would be problematic, adding another floor over the balcony inset would look odd, etc.

There is ways to build with clear windows and not have studs show. Flat tile moulding around the windows, such as the approach used on the edge of the cafe of Assembly Square is one option. Or different window setup.

I should of been less transparent on my personal taste (i.e. commenting on my opinion of the color scheme). However, it's not just a personal taste. Lego has established certain architectural rules throughout their builds that are entirely broken with this model. For colors, they almost always expertly chose colors that contrast or go together tonally. There is something wrong with the colors (btw - look closely and notice the odd placement of brown in two places high left side in the balcony inset area). 

They recognize that our eyes and mind consistently find these rules pleasing.....even if we don't care for specific design features or elements. Interestingly, overall I like the build and would end up buying it (modifying something if it bothered me that much).

I believe this is an experienced MOC builder, but not an expert Lego one. My city has some decent MOC modulars, some of which I "borrowed" techniques by much more talented people than I on this site. When non-lego enthusiasts see the city, they can't point out my MOCs vs the Lego sets. However, I would never consider applying to Lego for a job as I recognize that my creations wouldn't stand a chance.

Referring to Malcom Gladwell, it's the "blink". My very first impression was that this is a "fake", but I have been known to be wrong once or twice ;-)

If the Diner is a fake, how do you explain the parts in colors that aren't available yet? And the incredible coincidence of the exact same car being revealed in LEGO Worlds after the leak was found?

1 hour ago, Gorki247 said:

If the Diner is a fake, how do you explain the parts in colors that aren't available yet? And the incredible coincidence of the exact same car being revealed in LEGO Worlds after the leak was found?

- Parts could be recolored/edited with photoshop etc...
- New parts could have been stolen or procured early from a factory or retailer and then used by a clever hoaxer
- Lego could have produced a fake
- It could be real 

I have no idea if it's real but I hope the diner is not the next modular as I don't like the look of it. The change in architecture or minifig style doesn't really bother me it's just that the design of the set does not look good to me for a lot of the reasons stated already.   

Edited by mo123567

Greetings everyone, I feel it is real with the two items noted above for parts colors and the Lego Worlds inclusion. I think the release will be before the end of the year because in the leaked image Palace Cinema is shown in color like all other modulars currently on the market while all those before it is are not shown in color. Since Palace Cinema is going away this year I'd expect the announcement to be before that occurs based on that portion of the image alone. I also think it came from a Chinese site because I am sure they are trolling the web and trying to get some inside scoop to create their knock offs from.

Personally I like what I see so far. There could be some really cool detail on the sides we can't see.

I just got my first modular and pictures or videos just don't do them justice. They are much, much better in person. I decided to skip PC so I started with the next oldest PR. I like the exterior, but not the interior so I went back and forth. I could certainly build out the interior more to my liking, however, I have too many MOC's planned to obtain parts for a set I am so, so on. I'd like to see some re-releases or at least GG, but not at the expense of not getting a new modular that year. For those that did not get an original, it may be easier and more cost effective to just collect the parts from one or two sources and build it yourself. You'd have genuine Lego (even if used) and the set without paying the current market prices for the complete set. I think parting it for a build would be better than a knock off purchase, but that's just my opinion and to each his/her own.

It's real. The January 2018 calendar leaked and "Downtown Diner" is officially a go! You can catch a photo and proof at a place you'd all most frequently go for a leak and/or looksee. 

Edited by BuckeyeLegoLover