The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

5 hours ago, jus1973 said:

Slightly off topic here, as this thread is want to do from time to time.

for me, AS is my fave build, followed by PR, and DO.  BB was better than PC, but that’s because I think the interior of PC was too basic.  I don’t have the rest so can’t comment.  Too expensive to buy now.

You can still buy the PS which is still affordable... (saw recently on Bricklink for 123$)

You can also try to grab the GE and the FB which can be found for about the price of the AS.

Edited by LegoModularFan

funny that most people who don't believe MS is part of the series are the ones who don't own it. I agree it is the least attractive of the bunch, but it has been shown in official pictures in the instructions and it was designed AND release to fit next to CC.

16 minutes ago, Super Hans said:

Well it's £103.99 after the 20% off at the Lego Store. 

Quidco are offering 11% cashback for the Lego store so £11.50 off. They also have a £2.50 bonus this weekend and I can sell the Nutcracker for £20. 

Gotcha. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, merman said:

funny that most people who don't believe MS is part of the series are the ones who don't own it. I agree it is the least attractive of the bunch, but it has been shown in official pictures in the instructions and it was designed AND release to fit next to CC.

IMHO, that's got nothing to do with it. A lot of people don't own CC or GG, but that doesn't mean they don't consider those as part of the series. There are many reasons why MS is treated this way though.

3 hours ago, merman said:

I don’t understand why people are so underwhelmed with the set. It was, what...$80? It’s far cheaper than any other, so of course it’s going to look much different. It adds great variety to the skyline. Personally, I love the gated market area. It’s used as a walkway to enter the park from the street side. 

For me PR is the best overall set. I also like BB a lot, though it is often hard to place, being a corner set that doesn’t face the corner. Architecturally PC is up there, though the interioir is not up to modern standards. That doesn’t bother me that much, since once it’s in the layout it’s hard to get inside them anyways.

CC looks cool but somehow I don’t love it as much. 

I think the outer buildings in AS are awesome, but I really don’t like the middle runt of a PR. And the set as a whole looks cramped. Thinking about modding right now...

Edited by ChrisPChicken

34 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

I don’t understand why people are so underwhelmed with the set. It was, what...$80? It’s far cheaper than any other, so of course it’s going to look much different. It adds great variety to the skyline. Personally, I love the gated market area. It’s used as a walkway to enter the park from the street side. 

I agree with you: it adds some variety to the architecture styles of the city; also it’s an appreciated appartment building for all those otherwise homeless little minifigs :cry_sad:...

also, on top of the gated market, there’s plenty of space to build a tennis court 

Edited by Hippocampe

Reading that last couple of pages...it is my understanding that Market Street was the first modular and it was AFOL designed by a guy named Erik Brok.  It was sort of Ideas or CUUSOO before that was even a concept.  It actually inspired the modular line.  It was only meant to be a stand alone, not be followed by 10 years of modular sets.  I could be wrong, but I think this was discussed about 185 or so pages back.  I get why folks don't love it, but it was really the whole reason we have this thread to be honest.  

While I don't consider Market Street to be good enough for me to get, it is considered part of the modular building timeline. Have we forgotten these photos already?

ac85fbd89f7c971991074f752a4bdddb0d1d81a0

lego-modular-10th-anniversary1.jpg

7 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

You can still buy the PS which is still affordable... (saw recently on Bricklink for 123$)

You can also try to grab the GE and the FB which can be found for about the price of the AS.

Thanks for the info.  The last time I checked (in the summer) the lowest price for both sides of the PS complete, was nudging £200, which was about $250 -$280 at the time. I’d seen that sort of price for one half the set.  Clearly one needs to check regularly.

5 hours ago, brickextreme2 said:

The bottom line - I'm willing to bet that this is fake but I'll eat crow later if I'm wrong!

Well lucky for you crow is rather tasty :tongue:

8 hours ago, merman said:

4 hours ago, Vindicare said:

2 hours ago, Herky said:

Reading that last couple of pages...it is my understanding that Market Street was the first modular and it was AFOL designed by a guy named Erik Brok.  It was sort of Ideas or CUUSOO before that was even a concept.  It actually inspired the modular line.  It was only meant to be a stand alone, not be followed by 10 years of modular sets.  I could be wrong, but I think this was discussed about 185 or so pages back.  I get why folks don't love it, but it was really the whole reason we have this thread to be honest.  

2 hours ago, badbob001 said:

While I don't consider Market Street to be good enough for me to get, it is considered part of the modular building timeline. Have we forgotten these photos already?

It was the second released, it was much cheaper than the rest because Lego wanted a modular that was more affordable for people. Once you step on board the "modular train", most people are hooked and never want to leave, so they made a shorter ladder so more people would climb aboard..

The modular line has evolved a lot over the years, so comparing the first ones with the last is a little bit like comparing a new car to a 10 year old one.. If they make a similar priced model today it would be the size of half the pet shop building..

I agree with you as long as Lego consider it a part of the modular line, it doesn't matter what other people might think..

On 27/11/2017 at 5:50 AM, badbob001 said:

it is considered part of the modular building timeline. Have we forgotten these photos already?

You said what I was going to say! In the 10th anniversary video, Jamie says that the MS was a very important modular and was encouraged to continue the line...

Edited by LegoModularFan

For those who don't consider the MS as a part of the modular line, remember, it was also included in the Mini Modulars :classic: So we already know -for a long time- that the MS is a part of the modular line...

Edited by LegoModularFan

On 22-11-2017 at 3:00 PM, Brick Lover said:

I meant the annoucement will be somewhere between now and the 28th as maximum.

I think it will be on the 23th or on the 27th Cyber Monday.

I guess they do it tomorrow then with the focus today on Cyber Monday. I really hope tomorrow we hear more!

I see have seen the rebrick image the box is much larger than a box of 160 € a normal modular. From my sources rumor that 10261 is another modular source of a store. Of course, I'm not so stupid. But if we look well at the rebrick box, it's much bigger than a normal box. And if we see them they also announced her ninjacity in the rebrick, and went public to the pictures in June and May ended the contest. I think it's a great possibility to be a modular one.

14 hours ago, brickextreme2 said:

General observations

·       Minfigures have detailed faces. I suppose lego could change their mind after 10 years, but a Shirtless boxer on the street?!? C’mon

·       Planters on the street - simple, 3 stalks, and non-complementary colors.

·       Car - this would work for a friends set but not a building modular. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it’s all wrong for modular style. Doors are two high. Grey under the front windshield, wheels are reversed. Odd choice of headrests.

·       Windows between the turquoise pieces. The studs on the white pieces clearly show through. Not an expert builder.

·       The sign is much too big to put in front of the windows of the downstairs apartments

·       Sign on door - Jims without an apostrophe 

Apartment

·       Everything about the apartments exterior is basic from the lack of detail on the window frames to the simple roof line technique

·       Odd notch-out of the top floor for the balcony looks architecturally out of place

·       Old type balcony pieces just resting on the sill

·       No break between floors - one of the designer videos (maybe 10255) calls out why they architecturally separate the floors.

·       Spacing of middle floor windows - 2 - 4 -2. Completely off visually

·       Lack of complementary colors for the apartment exterior; yellow, brown, tan, black framed windows. - Blah 

Picture:

·       The zero in 10260 is slightly off - it sits lower and it’s thinner. Maybe because the sheet is wrinkled but it still seems very much wrong. If you zoom in, the number also has halo around it indicating that it was forged on to the picture.

·       Gap between the building. Not really a gap - looks like there is stairs going up between the buildings. I acknowledge that It possibly could be a 48 x 32 baseplate with stairs going up to the apartment…but doubt it.

·       Also, Lego typically compresses the new modular next to the prior one unless prior one was a corner. Looks very shoddy that you can see a good portion of the side of 10255

·       Typically, Lego has not shown all the previously released (and mostly now unavailable) modulars. They made an exception last year, including a strip of all the modulars at the bottom with a distinct dark blue background to celebrate 10th anniversary. It made sense for the 10th anniversary. The dark blue color was distinct as it complemented the night scene with fireworks.  Doesn't make sense that Lego would repeat the strip from the prior 10th anniversary modular.

Some really interesting observations. Things like the missing apostrophe in "Jims" make me suspicious, too. Stil don't know what this is... real or fake. Maybe it really is a red herring... who knows?

I can't wait to see/read the official TLG announcement!

I was also a little suspicious that the stairs meant the Diner's walls didn't rest flush with the neighboring buildings on both sides, but the Parisian Restaurant did similarly, so maybe it's not too much of a stretch.

@brickextreme2

I never noticed the missing apostrophe, though. But even a spelling error on a print wouldn't be a first (remember the DeLorean, for example). Interesting observation.

A lot of the points you bring up boil down to personal taste, regarding some of those that dont:

- no visual separation between floors does not mean they are not separatable. What we see is SNOT-construction with tiles facing us. You can see in the recession for the balcony that there appear to be plates/tiles on top on the part of the wall not facing towards the front (small brown lines), So it's propably safe to assume that the sides and propably the back of the building will feature the usual stripes.

- visible studs in big window construction: I don't get why this gets brought up. The window is built studs facing right, so its impossible to build it without some studs showing through. And why would a studs-on-the-side assembly spanning three floors be a sign that it was not the work of an expert builder?!

I think for a lot of us, whether you like the Diner or not depends on where you envision your LEGO city/town being located. If you imagine your town being set in Europe, the Palace Cinema and the Diner don’t fit in that well, since both have distinctly American architectural influences (Mann’s Chinese Theater, with its own obvious Asian influences, and 50’s era Art Deco), neither of which really made their way across the pond. Even though a Parisian Restaurant is equally specific in its European influences, it can more easily fit in a US-based LEGO town since we already tend to mash up architecture from all over the world. 

My LEGO town isn’t built yet — I’m still in the process of acquiring the sets and plotting out how I want the layout to work — but I’ve always envisioned it as fairly European, and so fitting in the Palace Cinema and Diner may be challenging. (This is why I skipped the Town Hall… aside from the fact that it's just too damn big and expensive, it looks too much to me like the clocktower from Back to the Future, as another poster already commented.) Still, my all-time favorite LEGO town is Feanor001’s New-Brickstadt which incorporates both the Town Hall and Palace Cinema in a European setting to good effect. As Feanor001 has done in his town, if you work hard enough at the connecting bits — the roads, common spaces, greenery, MOCs, etc. — you can make these disparate buildings work together. 

I’ll certainly be getting the Diner, but I’ll wait until it goes on sale for Brick Friday or some other big promotion, since I still have three of the current modulars and two of the retired sets to pick up. 

Just now, RogerSmith said:

@brickextreme2

- visible studs in big window construction: I don't get why this gets brought up. The window is built studs facing right, so its impossible to build it without some studs showing through. And why would a studs-on-the-side assembly spanning three floors be a sign that it was not the work of an expert builder?!

Yeah, if it were a non-expert builder then I doubt they'd have bothered using SNOTted windows at all. The simple solution would've been to just use one six-wide column of windows or three 2-wide columns. SNOTting the entire brick surface of the upper too floors also indicates an experienced builder. And no matter how much you nitpick the ways it's different from past modular buildings (and honestly, when HASN'T a real modular building been different than those that came before it?), there's not really any getting around the use of molds that nobody in the AFOL community outside of the LEGO Group had access to before this month. If this is a MOC, it's a MOC by an actual LEGO designer.

The idea that this is a fake seems to rest entirely on the assumption "LEGO designers would never do things I wouldn't do" — but honestly, even among the modular buildings, there hasn't been a set to date that didn't disappoint somebody.

45 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

— but honestly, even among the modular buildings, there hasn't been a set to date that didn't disappoint somebody.

Besides CC when it got out.. And then all the "after build commentaries" were taken into account in GG, can't remember such debates at that time.. I think it started with FB.. 

Also, how are we gonna do now, Diner.. only one word, after CC, MS, GG, GB, GE, PS... only "D" c'mon.. 

Edited by SwissBrick

9 minutes ago, SwissBrick said:

Besides CC when it got out.. And then all the "after build commentaries" were taken into account in GG, can't remember such debates at that time.. I think it started with FB.. 

Also, how are we gonna do now, Diner.. only one word, after CC, MS, GG, GB, GE, PS... only "D" c'mon.. 

City Diner CD, Diner Street DS....