The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Well. I guess I will wait for the official pictures to make a decision on whether I like this of not.

Edited by Caesar

So is it true Jamie is now lead designer of architecture? So the chances are pretty high he did not design this modular then even though the line is his biggest accomplishment. 

1 hour ago, merman said:

So is it true Jamie is now lead designer of architecture? So the chances are pretty high he did not design this modular then even though the line is his biggest accomplishment. 

What is your source on this?

The weakest modulars by far are the two (PC & TH) which were released during Jamies hiatus from the theme. 

But 10 years on a theme is a long time, so I'm not really surprised if Jamie has chosen to move on. Great scoop for the architecture line if thats the real case

Lego has a ton of great designers, so i am not worried

1 hour ago, merman said:

I thought Jamie was lead designer / manager of the creator expert line? This was mentioned during his interview in London during the summer when the London route master bus was launched. Either way the diner does look pretty different to all previous sets in the series so I wouldn't be surprised if they've used a different designer for this one anyway.

You can see from this Taj Mahal designer video Jamie identifies himself as the Creator Expert lead designer.

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-creator-taj-mahal-10256-designer-video/

I strongly disagree that TH and PC are the weakest. From an architectural standpoint they are both strong statements imho. PC is a unique model that I always look forward to placing in my layouts.

I went out of my way to find TH in the after market, while I avoided PS entirely even at normal retail price, I think it’s boring.

3 hours ago, ChrisPChicken said:

I strongly disagree that TH and PC are the weakest. From an architectural standpoint they are both strong statements imho.

Agreed. Here's hoping its just coincidence that they singled those two out. Compared to... Market Street? Really?

hqdefault.jpg

0.jpg

13 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Agreed. Here's hoping its just coincidence that they singled those two out. Compared to... Market Street? Really?

Imo, Market Street is the weakest. But I guess it often gets ignored as it was basically an AFOL-MOC turned into a set, and many people don't even view it as a real modular (I do).

Weakest modulars for me are:

1) Market Street
2) Town Hall
3) Detective's Office
4) Brick Bank
5) Palace Cinema

28 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

Imo, Market Street is the weakest. But I guess it often gets ignored as it was basically an AFOL-MOC turned into a set, and many people don't even view it as a real modular (I do).

Weakest modulars for me are:

1) Market Street
2) Town Hall
3) Detective's Office
4) Brick Bank
5) Palace Cinema

Market Street was the first....so no one new about the ideas of modulars that evolved later on... the first car ever on the street was also not the best ever...

Its funny how almost everyone hates/dislikes Town Hall, Palace Cinema or Brick Bank :D Its very subjective matter, for me, it is Market Street and Cafe Corner which I consider as worst sets from line. Brick Bank was a set which convince me to go for modular line and thanks to this set I get 8 of them so far. 

PC and TH are really good sets from architectural point of view, theyare less detailed though, but this could be solved by moding them - make your own interior detailes, furniture etc. Pet Shop is good set just because it brings us 2 buildings and different footprint. But in general its boring set, with boring building proces, with boring details (except fish tank). Fire Brigade is another example of quite "ok" building but its boring same as pet shop. Too little detailes inside for an Fire HQ. No specific rooms, just two generic floors, and outside is nothing special as well, but I like the bell tower. 

So my list of "not so good sets" (worst is bit hard)

- Market Street

- Cafe Corner

- Pet Shop

- Fire Brigade

I could continue but I am not too much into ranking. I lbought just sets I liked so I dont have Cafe Corner and Market street and Fire Brigade because I dont want to spend those riddiculous prices on sets I simply dont like and could built better. I have Pet Shop though but I mod it (give them extra floor and completely bring new interior details to satisfy my minifigs housing needs :) I personally like very much those last 4 modulars (Brick Bank, Detective Office, Parisian restaurant and Assembly square) They are just perfect as sets and I never regret not single penny to buy them. As a general set aiming to cover various needs and fulfill those extreme hard conditions expected from lego sets, I just have no words. Many mocs are for instance better but they are working with different measumrments. 

1 hour ago, LegoSjaak said:

Market Street was the first....so no one new about the ideas of modulars that evolved later on... the first car ever on the street was also not the best ever...

Wasn't Cafe Corner released before Market Street?

2 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

Except that it was the second; Cafe Corner started it all, and MS just doesn't live up to it. To be fair, I never considered MS to be part of the modular line; in the same way that Ninjago City isn't (except that NC is a interesting and great looking build).

So what does everybody think are the best of the modulars? In my opinion the best is AS. It's such a fun and varied build and the interior details are incredible. After this my second favourite is PR.

I agree with you. AS is the best for me, but GG and PR are very close. The weakest modulars are DO, CC and FB. 

Slightly off topic here, as this thread is want to do from time to time.

for me, AS is my fave build, followed by PR, and DO.  BB was better than PC, but that’s because I think the interior of PC was too basic.  I don’t have the rest so can’t comment.  Too expensive to buy now.

If the Diner set is official, I'll be somewhat disappointed. I'll probably not going to buy it until I see if it's one-time change in the modular series style (= I'll skip it forever) or if the next modular after the Diner follows that style (= I'll maybe build some separate Art Deco street). I'm not a big fan of Art Deco style and in LEGO world that style is just too... childish looking. 

52 minutes ago, temes said:

If the Diner set is official, I'll be somewhat disappointed. I'll probably not going to buy it until I see if it's one-time change in the modular series style (= I'll skip it forever) or if the next modular after the Diner follows that style (= I'll maybe build some separate Art Deco street). I'm not a big fan of Art Deco style and in LEGO world that style is just too... childish looking. 

To heavy words at this time :) For modular collectors is must have as any other modular so far. For those who builds their city layouts its matter of personal taste. I like diversity so I´ll get it onse its out. Btw its official no matter you like it or not :)

To be really honest if the diner is the next modular i will not order it day 1 like i did with the assembly square and will probably buy the ninjago city set instead (which ive been eyeing since it came out , also having 150€ saved and 105€ in vip points kinda helps getting ninjago city)

1 hour ago, Blazej_Holen said:

To heavy words at this time :) For modular collectors is must have as any other modular so far. For those who builds their city layouts its matter of personal taste. I like diversity so I´ll get it onse its out. Btw its official no matter you like it or not :)

I think myself as a modular collector, but I don't buy something if I don't like it. For me modulars are display sets and if I don't like something or it doesn't fit to my collection, I can easily skip it.

Edited by temes

23 minutes ago, temes said:

I think myself as a modular collector, but I don't buy something if I don't like it. For me modulars are display sets and if I don't like something or it doesn't fit to my collection, I can easily skip it.

So u r not collector then :) Just about words but... :) 

The modulars have turned many into completists yet at approximately $0.07 a piece they are hard to pass up even if one isn't in love with the design of the set. They are typically among the best price per piece sets. So as one who isn't a huge fan of fart deco it'll still have my interest, get built at least once and if it doesn't grow fondness then its nonetheless a decent purchase of 2,000 brand new bricks for moc use. 

Evening guys! 

I currently only collect the Star Wars theme but the recent sets have been poor and my head is turning towards the modular buildings since I saw Assembly Square. Part of me thinks this is a mistake since I've already missed quite a few and as a completionist this would drive me crazy. Brick Bank however is pretty cheap at SaH, with the cashback offers and the freebie it's only about £70 so probably worth starting with that. . 

Which do you think will be the next modular to retire? I may then focus my attention on that. Palace Cinema? 

Just now, Super Hans said:

Evening guys! 

I currently only collect the Star Wars theme but the recent sets have been poor and my head is turning towards the modular buildings since I saw Assembly Square. Part of me thinks this is a mistake since I've already missed quite a few and as a completionist this would drive me crazy. Brick Bank however is pretty cheap at SaH, with the cashback offers and the freebie it's only about £70 so probably worth starting with that. . 

Which do you think will be the next modular to retire? I may then focus my attention on that. Palace Cinema? 

TLG's confirmed that Palace Cinema's going at the end of the year, but at that price the Brick Bank's also a pretty good choice. Depends what one ya want more I guess.

7 minutes ago, Super Hans said:

Evening guys! 

I’m in the uk. How are you getting to £70?  

Well it's £103.99 after the 20% off at the Lego Store. 

Quidco are offering 11% cashback for the Lego store so £11.50 off. They also have a £2.50 bonus this weekend and I can sell the Nutcracker for £20.