The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Just now, Bricked1980 said:

That write up from Zusammengebaut doesn't seem to be anything more than a summary of all the observations everyone else has already pointed out from the leaked photo.

Thanks! At least im not the only one who noticed that.

End of the day we still dont know if the diner is true or not.

47 minutes ago, just_one said:

Thanks! At least im not the only one who noticed that.

End of the day we still dont know if the diner is true or not.

Basically the only thing we know as fact is that there definitely WILL be a new modular set in 2018. I posted a link yesterday to a new Lego Rebrick competition where the grand prize is a copy of the next modular set.

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/rebrick/contest-page/contests/expert-rebuilder

As the competition ends on January 12th then we can safely assume that the set will be out in January as well, otherwise why would they be offering a prize that wouldn't even be available.

Also if you look back over the last 3 months, a major set has been announced at the end of each month...

• Millenium Falcon - August 31st
  • Joker Manor - September 27th
  • Taj Mahal - October 31st

I reckon it's a pretty safe bet that the new modular is gonna carry on this pattern and that we're gonna get the official announcemnet any time before the end of this month, it could even be today. My money is on either the 27th or 28th though.

As for whether it will be the diner or not. I've been on the fence with that one all week but surely if it includes new re-coloured elements and the new 5 petal flower head then it has to be real, otherwise how would the designer have got hold of those parts?

Edited by Bricked1980

Fair enough, but from what I've seen from Zusammengebaut in the past, I don't think he would base it on one leaked picture alone.
Let's wait and see. The suspense is killing me. Killing me!

Just now, Withacee said:

Fair enough, but from what I've seen from Zusammengebaut in the past, I don't think he would base it on one leaked picture alone.
Let's wait and see. The suspense is killing me. Killing me!

tell me about it...i´ve been awaiting for it for a month.

Got 150€ saved alongside 100€ on vip points!

It better be good , i need a good reason to pass a modular over ninjago city.

1 hour ago, pinioncorp said:

And no one's talking about the hideous new flower parts? That are (possibly) a replacement for the current classic flowers?

I'm definitely surprised that Lego didn't move up the media release after the leak.

No point in announcing a new set to mass audiences right before Black Friday, only for shoppers to be disappointed when they learn it isn't going to be available for a while. Sure, the leak makes the set something of an open secret in the AFOL community, but as always, we represent just a small portion of Lego's overall audience, and generally a more informed one.

I don't think the new flowers are that bad... they definitely look more like flowers, and are more rounded. Certainly not preferable for everything the old flower tiles were used for, but I can think of a good many scenarios where they would be better.

To help the wait, I went to last year forum pages and the year before at approximatively the same date as we are today (and before - October, etc); at least, we had first the OFFICIAL NAME of the set either from TLG or a very reliable source; this year, only a picture - a good one for that matter - and a name we supposed by seeing that image. Very secret this year TLG and for good reasons...

Edited by Hippocampe

3 hours ago, pinioncorp said:

And no one's talking about the hideous new flower parts? That are (possibly) a replacement for the current classic flowers?

I'm not all that keen on the new flower part (yet). I'll reserve judgement until I see an actual part with my own eyes! I DO like this new triple leaf part that is coming in some 2018 sets, though.

Doing our monthly part order for our model shop at LegoLand I discovered the "old" flower was no longer available when I was trying to boost our supply (and get it in 194 medium stone grey, as comes with Saturn V). BTW the "old" flower part's official name is "Bracelet Upper Part" which I suspect stems from its origins as a Click-Its element...

Seeing the return of 107 Teal/Turquoise is the best news, though. The October parts list only had basic brick and plate, but the November list has about a dozen more elements -- almost all tailored toward Nexo, Elves and Friends!

--Mr. Bill

Hello everyone!I found your forum as I was looking for info regarding future Modular sets.I liked it so I joined.

My name is Sid and Im from England.

just wanted to say hello and thank you for all of your people for all usefull posts.

I am an AFOL and I got my collection saved on Brickset.On the future sets on their page it says that set 10260 is a Modular Buidling called "Diner".I saw a picture of the diner, and it features a pink "cadillac", a bucher/cook, waitress and couple more minifigs. Also it got nice turqoise colored frame around transparent windows,big pink DINER sign on the roof, apartment on top.Just wanted to ask if its a really genuine one or just a big mock up?I usually trust brickset but just thought to make sure its a genuine pic and info.

Also,heard some rumours that next year modular building will also be a Police Station. Any info on that?

Edited by SidNorth
Forgot to say hello as my first post

18 hours ago, Drakuhl said:

Actually, it means the opposite: "An official confimation from LEGO is missing"

So they did not confirm the rumour yet.

Zusammengebaut said with a nice sentence "the cat is out of the box" and then added "an official confirmation from LEGO is pending" ... If it's not a confirmation that Diner is the next modular... Okay, TLG didn't officially confirm yet, but to me, it is not a rumour anymore since we've got facts: a picture, trusted website speaking about it, cleared leaks etc. After the Brick Friday - Cyber Monday, we will get it.

7 hours ago, pinioncorp said:

It really is horrendous. It looks like a pice only a minidoll would hold. I would actually be pretty mad if they replaced the new one for the old much more neutral and versatile piece.

Just woundering, the old flower stud had the magical powers of being able to be placed one right next to the other due to the four leves. Wondering if the new one with five leaves will fit. If it does, the petals would certainly have to be significantly shorter.

30 minutes ago, SidNorth said:

I am an AFOL and I got my collection saved on Brickset.On the future sets on their page it says that set 10260 is a Modular Buidling called "Diner".I saw a picture of the diner, and it features a pink "cadillac", a bucher/cook, waitress and couple more minifigs. Also it got nice turqoise colored frame around transparent windows,big pink DINER sign on the roof, apartment on top.Just wanted to ask if its a really genuine one or just a big mock up?I usually trust brickset but just thought to make sure its a genuine pic and info.

Also,heard some rumours that next year modular building will also be a Police Station. Any info on that?

Welcome! It's real, that police station thingy is some stupid rumour that has been running around for the last, at least, three years.

27 minutes ago, paupadros said:

Welcome! It's real, that police station thingy is some stupid rumour that has been running around for the last, at least, three years.

Haha, I would never guess that this is going on for three years!

What are the possible other Modular Buildings in the future,any ideas?

I would actually love to see police station, with old style police cruiser and minifigs wearing "pointy" hats (like the police officer hat in detective's office). Museum is the other one I wish to see, and Bowling Building :D...

1 hour ago, SidNorth said:

Hello everyone!I found your forum as I was looking for info regarding future Modular sets.I liked it so I joined.

My name is Sid and Im from England.

just wanted to say hello and thank you for all of your people for all usefull posts.

Welcome to the forum. If you start reading this topic from page 215, you will see that the picture was posted there and that there are many different opinions to if it is either real or not. 

On 23/11/2017 at 9:45 PM, SidNorth said:

What are the possible other Modular Buildings in the future,any ideas?

I would actually love to see police station, with old style police cruiser and minifigs wearing "pointy" hats (like the police officer hat in detective's office). Museum is the other one I wish to see, and Bowling Building :D...

Actually, I think that a museum and a police station as you mentioned, an hospital, a school/university and a post office is a must. I would like also a shopping mall (with of course a lego shop) 48x32 or 64x32 and a train station. I don’t like a lot the interior of the GE...

I would like also a re-release of CC with an interior but that’s not a priority for me...

BTW, me too, I’m new here on Eurobricks too :classic:

Edited by LegoModularFan

Forgive me if this was already mentioned (I haven’t been able to catch entirely up yet); however, based on the previous (translated) description, specifically the fact that this breaks away from the original modulars, do we think this opens like a dollhouse? I’m wondering because 1) the (translated) description provided, 2) the lack of visible floor breaks like previous modulars, and 3) it looks as if there are small pieces sticking out as you look down the wall on the left side. It almost looks as if those are the joints to flat hinges. I may be way off, but based on those three things, I’m starting to wonder if this reall does open up as opposed to lift and separate. That would be a HUGE change. For that reason, I tend to doubt the thought. On the other hand ...Hmmm.

52 minutes ago, AncientDayz said:

do we think this opens like a dollhouse?

Other, far smarter / more creative people than me, have theorised that the entire front façade was built using SNOT techniques to hide the traditional "line breaks" between the floors.

So, the floors would still be capable of being lifted off one by one, but you just can't *see* the breaks between the floors when viewing the building from the front.

It would be a new direction for the Modular buildings, just like the expressive faces.

2 hours ago, AncientDayz said:

Forgive me if this was already mentioned (I haven’t been able to catch entirely up yet); however, based on the previous (translated) description, specifically the fact that this breaks away from the original modulars, do we think this opens like a dollhouse? I’m wondering because 1) the (translated) description provided, 2) the lack of visible floor breaks like previous modulars, and 3) it looks as if there are small pieces sticking out as you look down the wall on the left side. It almost looks as if those are the joints to flat hinges. I may be way off, but based on those three things, I’m starting to wonder if this reall does open up as opposed to lift and separate. That would be a HUGE change. For that reason, I tend to doubt the thought. On the other hand ...Hmmm.

I thought the floor breaks were pretty obvious to find if im honest. Not all the facade is brick, Some is snot tiles!

I've lurked the commentary over the past few days to get the varied perspectives on the authenticity of this set. 

What I can say is there is absolutely no way this can be a fake. This IS next year's modular, and it is awesome. All of the details accounted for in the last 16 pages check out. If this were a fake, whoever faked it went through quite a bit of trouble to make it believable, more than any intelligent troll could ever imaginably do. 

Granted it's not the classic style the modulars were built on but I'm happy that LEGO went a little forward in time. It's only a bonus that the set thrives in Art Deco South Beach style, I've been looking to model Miami over the years and this set just might facilitate it. The return of Dark Turquoise is a treat. But it is not to say I won't mod it upon getting it. First of all I am waiting to see what shade of yellow the SNOT wall is. To me it appears tan. I might go for a different color combination to further miamize the building, but it looks like an exciting side project.

Speaking of which, it would be almost impossible to fake dark turquoise curved pieces especially the ones in the WV beetle. While the closest color to mind is dark azure, there is no way this could be a miscolored dkazure set of pieces. That being said I'm SALIVATING for what appears to be a solid palette of dark turquoise elements. We will get quite a few plates for sure evidently plus definitely basic brick to wall the first floor. That's what I observe by looking into Jim's diner. This looks like the basis of the new colors/parts introduced for this set, as well as the hideous flowers. And I'm not sure if the stud with hole in LBG has been seen before. I for one like and look forward to the expressive faces. It'd be difficult to relive the 50s without them.

12 hours ago, brickbuilder711 said:

I've lurked the commentary over the past few days to get the varied perspectives on the authenticity of this set. 

What I can say is there is absolutely no way this can be a fake. This IS next year's modular, and it is awesome. All of the details accounted for in the last 16 pages check out. If this were a fake, whoever faked it went through quite a bit of trouble to make it believable, more than any intelligent troll could ever imaginably do. 

Granted it's not the classic style the modulars were built on but I'm happy that LEGO went a little forward in time. It's only a bonus that the set thrives in Art Deco South Beach style, I've been looking to model Miami over the years and this set just might facilitate it. The return of Dark Turquoise is a treat. But it is not to say I won't mod it upon getting it. First of all I am waiting to see what shade of yellow the SNOT wall is. To me it appears tan. I might go for a different color combination to further miamize the building, but it looks like an exciting side project.

Speaking of which, it would be almost impossible to fake dark turquoise curved pieces especially the ones in the WV beetle. While the closest color to mind is dark azure, there is no way this could be a miscolored dkazure set of pieces. That being said I'm SALIVATING for what appears to be a solid palette of dark turquoise elements. We will get quite a few plates for sure evidently plus definitely basic brick to wall the first floor. That's what I observe by looking into Jim's diner. This looks like the basis of the new colors/parts introduced for this set, as well as the hideous flowers. And I'm not sure if the stud with hole in LBG has been seen before. I for one like and look forward to the expressive faces. It'd be difficult to relive the 50s without them.

Same here, and I totally agree with you. It's been amusing to read some of the comments here why it's a fake.

There are only two reasons to why this would not be the final 2018 modular.:

1. It's a preliminary photo for promotion and the final modell will be slightly different and adjusted.
2. It's a red herring "leaked" by TLG themselves to mislead certain copycats. There is no way anyone outside TLG has done this.

If TLG wants to mix it up a bit with new faces and newer time period, I agree to think it's refreshing and maybe actually needed to keep the series fresh and not too repetetive. I know some just wants cafe corners and green grocers over and over, but most things die if they don't evolve and move forward.

Minor details I don't like is the tan facade and the  windows in the "tower". The tan facade on the two upper floors looks a bit boring, flat and lacking in detail to my taste. The windows framed by the turquoise arch are showing too much stud in my opinion. There must be a slicker way to solve this? Also I've really liked Jamies creative use of odd pieces in the latest modulars, like the bionicle fists and kitty tail for DO, hammers and technic excavator scoops on AS flower shop, feathers on PR and so on. As far as I can see the diner seems to be lacking this little creative touch.

I WILL buy it, maybe event two when it comes on offer in a years time! I will then rebuild them into a double with one side being a corner on the right and the turquoise arch and the entrance door in the middle to make it more balanced. 

Edited by chorus

YEAH!    Go to 17:44

There it is!

Edited by SollX

22 minutes ago, SollX said:

YEAH!    Go to 17:44

There it is!

Yep and it's written as "CADILLAC".

The modular building will also pair well with this MOC of mine:

[Modern Modulars] Hair Salon + MADO Ice Cream Cafe