The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

At first sight i thought it was real but now i get more and more suspicious...

Things i noticed:

1) does the chef/cook has ears? In the image it looks like but i‘ve never seen a „normal“ lego fig with ears

2) AS has a woman who is taking a picture with a camera with a BLACK stud with hole as lens, this diner also does feature a woman with camera but this one has a transparent white lens. Why would they feature the same person again but change the build?

3) the strongman has a topless printed body part, it seems that TLG tries to avoid these, as the only two i know are the lifguard guy of minifig series 12 and the new 60153 fun at the beach. The diners strongman is the same print as the one of the lifeguard. So why printing a complete new one without defined muscles for a 2017 release? (Besides releasing a topless muscleman in a not beach related context doesnt seem what a company like TLG would do nowadays. Keywords sexism, body shaming... )

4) 

2 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Here is last years image for Assembly Square.

306.jpg.b9bc9bf8fd9a56d0c2e675c6966b9e39.jpg

This was the only time they've used a strip of all the previous sets side by side at the bottom of the page, and this was just to support the fact it was the 10th anniversary. So why would they recycle this graphic for the new modular, and even if they did want to re-use it why haven't they updated the image to include the diner within the line-up of buildings?

I understand that the leaked page is probably only a preliminary design, only intended to be seen internally by Lego employees, but as a graphic designer myself, I still think they'd have done a better job of designing this advert, to follow the same template, branding style used for previous sets.

I agree, plus in the diner image it looks like there wouldnt be any space to the right of the line-up to display it properly as advertisement.

If the diner is the real deal, would be slightly disappointed because of the change of style. I dont care if there is some „american“ buidings in my street but i think a diner is more a standalone building with maybe a parking lot in front of it (maybe with drive-thru?). Wont be able to resist buying it though.

How do you guys thinks about my concerns?

Yes, your abservations are true, but the diner has to be real.

7 minutes ago, Kohlenstoff said:

does the chef/cook has ears?

I haven’t noticed it, but now every time I look at the picture it is very obvious. Every time I look at the diner I can now only see the chefs ears!

22 hours ago, Boettner Builds said:

Im thinking that there is a radio station inside and not a recording studio.

That'd be a great addition to the Modular City Boettner Builds, great idea.. It would bring something fresh and new :-) But where would be the antenna hiding?

Don't think the cook has ears; that's just a crease in the paper. Which is actually what makes me suspicious. Why is the page that creased, it's almost like it was done on purpose to possibly hide some imperfections.

Also the strongman's upper body appears to be that of the Boxer collectable minifig; again seems a bit suspicious.

8 hours ago, Withacee said:

I love this design, by the way, be it fake or not (I lean towards legit).
Great Hopper-inspired ground floor façade, lovely colours; we could fit this into our city no problem.
No big fan of the 50s American design in general, but it looks great.

OMG, did not even think of it.. but if it has some hints (don't know the word in English) with the Edward Hopper painting (https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/asset/nighthawks/6AEKkO_F-9wicw?hl=fr&ms={"x"%3A0.5%2C"y"%3A0.5%2C"z"%3A9.879671857123121%2C"size"%3A{"width"%3A1.3871118164062495%2C"height"%3A1.6783109465676536}}) then it is a must buy on day one for me, even if I don't love it at first sight seeing the exterior..

2 minutes ago, SwissBrick said:

That'd be a great addition to the Modular City Boettner Builds, great idea.. It would bring something fresh and new :-) But where would be the antenna hiding?

That pointy thing on top of the right side of the building! I've had plans of adding a radio station to my city so we'll see if this is the one!

Just now, Boettner Builds said:

That pointy thing on top of the right side of the building! I've had plans of adding a radio station to my city so we'll see if this is the one!

Yep! i was looking at a plain black complicated antenna, but you're right, this could be it, well spotted! If this is legit, you're probably right ;-)

32 minutes ago, Kohlenstoff said:

3) the strongman has a topless printed body part, it seems that TLG tries to avoid these, as the only two i know are the lifguard guy of minifig series 12 and the new 60153 fun at the beach. The diners strongman is the same print as the one of the lifeguard. So why printing a complete new one without defined muscles for a 2017 release? (Besides releasing a topless muscleman in a not beach related context doesnt seem what a company like TLG would do nowadays. Keywords sexism, body shaming... )

When I think of art deco buildings, I think of miami beach. So shirtless man next to beach is ok with me. We can even stick the fun-at-the-beach set in front of this.

I think a radio station makes more sense to me, rather than a recording studio. Assembly Square had a music lesson shop so I guess it could be a recording studio, but I'd rather it be a radio station!

The shirtless man is a boxer — his raised fist is a red boxing glove, after all — so it makes sense that they would reuse the torso of the CMF boxer. 

1 hour ago, Kohlenstoff said:

3) the strongman has a topless printed body part, it seems that TLG tries to avoid these, as the only two i know are the lifguard guy of minifig series 12 and the new 60153 fun at the beach. 

There's also CMF Series 2 Surfer, Series 3 Sumo, Series 5 Boxer, Series 7 Jungle Boy, Series 15 Faun, Series 15 Wrestling Champion, Series 17 Strongman (nearly shirtless) Series GB Stealth Swimmer and 2018 City set 60173 with a shirtless bare and hairy chested man only wearing boxer short underwear. Lego Movie Where's My Pants guy was also nearly naked.

46 minutes ago, Gorki247 said:

Don't think the cook has ears; that's just a crease in the paper. Which is actually what makes me suspicious. Why is the page that creased, it's almost like it was done on purpose to possibly hide some imperfections.

Also the strongman's upper body appears to be that of the Boxer collectable minifig; again seems a bit suspicious.

My first thought was a creased page from the litter of a printer that has been printing the boxes or buildinginstructions....those must be ready by now...so someone could have stolen a page from a bin......

Edited by LegoSjaak

Anyone else thinks they should‘ve brought back sand red instead if another pink/blue/purple/lavender/whatever color? ;-)

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

The images always show the latest model in the foreground with the previous 2 models behind following the same angle of perspective. On the leaked image of the diner, the angle of perspective is nothing like it is on all the past graphics for previous modulars though. In fact there is just something about the way the new model has been photographed which looks pretty amateurish to me. A small section of the right side of the building seems to be cut off slightly, and the rocket/aerial thing on the top is slightly cropped off, although I do appreciate that might just be because whoever photographed the leaked page hasn't managed to get the whole thing in to frame.

You're talking about box art whereas this appears to be a photo of a (partial) page from a catalog. LEGO frequently uses alternate angles and photography in their catalogs. Comparing it to LEGO's Big Holiday Catalog in front of me, the angle and framing of the leaked Diner shot are consistent with the shot of AS on page 65. There is likely another 1" or more of the page on the right side and 2" or more at the top that are out of frame, and possibly some on the left side... though I suspect this may be the right half of a two-page spread. 

That said, it could be a big fake. But if it is, whoever did this went to extraordinary lengths to pull it off. And likely deserves a job offer at TLG in some capacity.

3 hours ago, koalayummies said:

The popularity waned quite a long time ago and this particular style of Art Deco, the more flamboyant less subdued late Art Deco/Streamline Moderne is now almost exclusively relegated to South Beach Miami, Johnny Rockets restaurants and the Fallout video game series. 

I absolutely love Streamline Moderne architecture, just as long as it isn't too colorful or "Raygun Gothic" in style. I know that's sort of what this diner has going for it, but I still like it.

7 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Always disappointing to see how many AFOLs haven't outgrown their distaste for the color pink. The colors for this modular are fairly realistic for the subject matter, and the complexity and building techniques are on par with past modulars, so all the comparisons to Friends betray a rather juvenile apprehension toward anything that could be perceived as "girly"...

I never said I thought it was "girly" it just looks like a really expensive Friends set.  If you don't think it looks Friendly then you're delusional. It might as well come with minidolls. 

It's not the pink I don't like, it's the overall pink, turquoise, yellow Friends colors.  It's cool if they want to move in a new direction with the modulars, maybe in five years this one will fit in with the subsequent sets but right now this one sticks out.  I know I'm not the only one who thinks so, but I can see why people who feel the same way would be hesitant to comment here.  You get criticized and called "juvenile" for having an adverse opinion on something in a thread called "Modular Building Sets-Rumors and DISCUSSION". What kind of discussion can you have if everyone just agrees with each other? Is this a bee colony or the Borg where everyone has to be on the same page?  If there were 10 AFOLs in a room, in person, and we saw this photo, I'd like to think I could express my reaction. It's an opinion, you can disagree with it, but it's not wrong.

I truly hope this is fake, but maybe I'm hoping for a snow day in June.  Every year my wife will get me what ever modular is released for my birthday, and it's nice to look forward to it.  I can't look forward to this.

7 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

Well said! There is always something to make remarks about....why not being glad there is a new modular? If you don't like the color, just change it....that is Lego...think outside that box, or in this case the set... be creative and mod it when you are not satisfied with the building that should fit the whole worlds afol-wishes!

There's always someone's opinion to make remarks about too. I commented almost immediately upon seeing this photo that I hoped the pieces making up the sign and arch are available in other colors.  

I'm an adult, and I love Lego. I obsess over it and I've collected over $10,000 worth in the past 3 years (mostly gifts because everyone who knows me knows this is what I want).  But I don't feel like an AFOL at all. This entire website has made me feel like I'm doing it wrong somehow, right from the start.

I'm an artist, an art teacher and a scenic director, I build stages for musicals at work, by myself.  The lumber for the table I display my Lego on is made from past stages. I don't MOC, I don't have time to and I spend my entire days being creative.  There's nothing I love more than getting a big Lego set, opening a beer, putting on a record and not thinking about having to come up with anything, It's relaxing and meditative to just mindlessly follow the instructions and add to my collection.  My wife and daughter do it with me and it beats going to a movie or anything else.  But that seems to be frowned upon here.  As much as I'd love to design my own building, maybe if I was a teenager with no job or girlfriend I could, but the rest of my family isn't going to just hang out while I spend dozens of hours in the basement with my Lego.

I haven't really posted much here this year, or last year, until this week (except when I put a lot of effort into my display table and nobody cared). I'm really starting to think this isn't the place for me.  I really hope this doesn't erode my passion for Lego, and since nobody I know in the real world is into it like me, I guess I'll be alone with it.

Thanks for the negativity.

Edited by Hemlock Falls

If it is real, not so thrilled as well by what we saw. 

I have all modulars so far and I consider them as the pinacle of Lego sets and series. While obviously all having different place and time inspiration, when placed next to each other they make an extremely consistant display. This new possible set does not look it will fit as much in this. 

Will get it for sure, a it will probably look great by itself, but it is the first time I don’t feel enthusiastic at the release of a new modular.

That being said, I will love to see an official announcement soon and get my mind changed.

Wakwak

eh, who am I kidding; whether I am really into the model or not, I'm gonna end up buying it. Gotta build em all!

Also a pink townhouse would be neat; in a city I used to live in, there was a row of several townhouses in bright pastel colors that looked amazing. I'd love to see something similar done with modular buildings. I've considered doing it myself.

Thinking about this some more.  I think the design is decent.  The colors do stand out compared to others, but then again, which modular is a "typical" structure in a town?  The diner may be unusual, but so is Palace Cinema and especially Market Street.  

In all honesty, it will not be my favorite modular, but it is not bad.  For a diner, I would have preferred what was submitted to Lego Ideas.  That would be my image of a classic 50s diner, a one story structure that everyone can drive up to and have your order taken and served by someone wearing roller skates.  I guess it is possible that this design preceded the Lego ideas one, thus the reason why the Ideas submission was rejected and they went forward with this one.  Guess there was a market for a diner and pink cadillac after all.  The pink cadillac works fine in this setting and time period.  It would not surprise me if the designer is an Elvis fan and somehow desired to include a likeness of him in this set.  Is it Elvis or an impersonator?  You decide.  We never saw the bottom of that particular minifig.  My hope is that blue suede shoes are somehow implied.  The drive in feature and roller skate server does not work well in this scenario since it is right in the middle of town.  This would be one of those things you kind of choose to ignore for the sake of having the classic elements of a diner included.  I agree with some that the building seems a bit simpler in design compared to others, but that is simply the nature of Art Deco.  It is streamlined simpleness.   Might not necessarily be a Day 1 purchase as I still might get DO to be caught up with what is available, but I can see getting it a little later in the year.  I await the announcement and designer video with the assumption that this is indeed the new modular.  

You know, if using perfectly reasonable colors really clashes with all the other buildings, maybe that’s a fault of those other buildings for not using those colors sooner. But I don’t think it’s anywhere near as jarring as people are making it out to be. Detective’s Office used Light Royal Blue (Bright Light Blue), Medium Blue, and Medium Nougat, which are just as much “Friends colors” as Cool Yellow (Bright Light Yellow) or Bright Purple (Bright Pink) and much MORE of one than Bright Bluish Green (Dark Turquoise).

Plus, the range of “modular-appropriate” colors doesn’t get bigger by declaring arbitrary colors and color combinations “off limits” until the designers are forced to repeat themselves.

Are we even sure it's Cool Yellow? As much as I'd like to see that as a modular color at some point, I think the brickwork on the new modular might just be Brick Yellow (Tan). Better pictures will hopefully clarify things.