The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

18 hours ago, Robert8 said:

If this is a fake, whoever made it would have used the basic faces, so it wouldn't be suspicious. 

Or they used non-classic face on purpose to make you believe that a fake one would not have done that :laugh:

I think it's definitely real, on account of the new colors and parts. With that in mind, it's actually a pretty impressive model- especially because it seems to have engendered a very controversial reaction. I really like the use of the turquoise, especially because it's a color that no AFOL MOC has had access to up to this point, so having an official modular built around it is great. I'll bet that in the designer video they tell us that one of the big style inspirations was a jukebox, and even more appropriate because it looks like there is a radio antenna at the peak of it! The use of the full SNOT façade threw me off at first, but I think that offers some great modding potential- if you aren't a fan of the tan, there are so many other colors you could make it! I'm excited for the full, official images.

9 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

I feel as though if our first introduction to it was the official press release instead of this leak, we would have had a better first impression

You could be right there..... with a nice story around it, it might have taken more people directly to the positive side!

One thing... why does everyone think this is dark turquoise, when it could just as easily be medium azur? The other colors on the photo are far from clear, so it could be an issue with saturation and lighting when the photo was taken.

Just now, Sammael said:

One thing... why does everyone think this is dark turquoise, when it could just as easily be medium azur? The other colors on the photo are far from clear, so it could be an issue with saturation and lighting when the photo was taken.

We have had that before as the BrickBank seemed to be tan instead of white...

If we look at the picture under, the DO - which has a powder blue part - it seems very different than the turquoise of the Diner

4 minutes ago, Hippocampe said:

If we look at the picture under, the DO - which has a powder blue part - it seems very different than the turquoise of the Diner

It does look different, but so does the color of the tiles and tan bricks on the assembly square. In the picture it looks lighter, in my opinion at least.

Edited by Caesar

21 minutes ago, Sammael said:

Main reason is that it looks greenish, and dark turquoise is already confirmed from multiple sources to be coming back in 2018. Also, a lot of the teal-ish parts in this picture would be new in either color.

54 minutes ago, Dakar A said:

I'll bet that in the designer video they tell us that one of the big style inspirations was a jukebox, and even more appropriate because it looks like there is a radio antenna at the peak of it!

Im thinking that there is a radio station inside and not a recording studio.

I like deco and and that lego is changing things up a bit but this building feels like a slightly weird combination of styles.  Why would there be a deco diner (along with matching tower element) with the older/more traditional architecture on left side of the upper floors? Seems like an unrealistic combo - i could imagine a 100% deco building or even a traditional/historic building with a different (modernized) architecture at retail storefront but the fact that the deco is only carried up a portion of the upper levels here feels strange/not like what i generally see in real world cities. Said another way, seems like the deco should be just at ground floor or on the whole building, not just portions....?

13 hours ago, Boettner Builds said:

It's sounds like I'm the ONLY one who doesn't like the classic smiley faces. I have a ziplock baggie full of them from all of my modulars as they are the first thing to be moded after I finish building...

I agree with you!

If it is real how come Eurobricks hasn't been asked to remove the image? I think yellow is cool yellow as others have said.

Just now, NewTown said:

I agree with you!

If it is real how come Eurobricks hasn't been asked to remove the image? I think yellow is cool yellow as others have said.

TLG generally doesn't operate at all on weekends. Even if some of their employees did see this, they wouldn't do anything about it before Monday. 

Star Wars leaks and other Disney licensed properties are handled with a bit more haste since Disney lawyers may be involved...

Just now, NewTown said:

If it is real how come Eurobricks hasn't been asked to remove the image?

They probably just haven't gotten here yet. I suspect they'll ask shortly, unless they plan on officially unveiling it soon.

Just now, BrickJagger said:

They probably just haven't gotten here yet. I suspect they'll ask shortly, unless they plan on officially unveiling it soon.

I saw someone elsewhere say the official reveal is this week. That would not only explain the lack of a crackdown, but also why no major fansites have posted it as news (despite the lack of any sort of confidential watermark). I know many sites would be tripping over each other to get the scoop on this, unless of course they were already sitting on the official press release to publish at the proper date and time...

What if? What if Lego is switching to detailed heads/faces, but still include extra basic smileys for those who like them?

28 minutes ago, Sammael said:

Star Wars leaks and other Disney licensed properties are handled with a bit more haste since Disney lawyers may be involved...

Hahaha. May get involved. Haha... "may". That's a funny joke.

2 hours ago, PastVPresent said:

Said another way, seems like the deco should be just at ground floor or on the whole building, not just portions....?

Yeah exactly, and that’s my main reservation too. I like the Art Deco styling (though sympathise with others who prefer an older style) but aside from the SNOT tiling on the walls, the exterior of the upper floors seems both inconsistent and also a little bit unimaginative.

Its a shame, as there are some really great Art Deco MOCS out there (I can think of a few great ones by @snaillad.

8 hours ago, Aanchir said:

It's kind of surprising to me how long people have been expecting all the modulars to be "1930s European" when they've routinely broken both those rules. Green Grocer was based on San Francisco buildings and had decidedly post-1930s refrigerators. Fire Brigade was based on American fire stations and had an American flag. Pet Shop's neighbor building was modeled on New York brownstones. Town Hall had a computer. Brick Bank, as you mention, had the laundromat. Assembly Square had a whole apartment full of LEGO building sets (even if we assume that in this fictional world the specific sets didn't come out the same years as IRL, LEGO bricks in general weren't a thing until the 50s).

There are probably even more differences that a history or architecture buff could find. But in general, I don't feel like the designers have ever intended the Modular Buildings to correspond to one specific real-world place and time. Best I can figure, they are situated in a fictional LEGO city where those sorts of boundaries aren't nearly as rigid.

Well said Aanchir. This subject is regularly brought up making the argument that because the sets have buildings using particular architectural styles and vintage objects within them then that building (and thus entire theme) must be set or take place in the specific era and region that style originated or was most prolific. This theory is notwithstanding the fact that in the year 2017 we still have old buildings, old cars, old phones, old toilets, old cameras, old fashion and so on. The only thing we don't have is what the proponents of these theories describe as a 'time-traveling computer'. 

So I agree, it does seem more plausible the modular line takes place in a fictional Lego world and not any one specific region or era in the real world. 

Note: I’ve removed the images of the set in question, as they are possibly leaked images. 

I can’t confirm the legitimacy of the set/image, but to be safe we should assume they’re a leak—hence the removal. 

Feel free to discuss it, but please do not repost the image here. Thanks. :thumbup:

I don't think I could be more disappointed, unless it actually came with minidolls. 

It looks like a Friends set on steroids or an allergic reaction to a bee sting.

I'll probably get it, but it'll go in the back row with the cinema.

Maybe 2019 will be better.

Edited by Hemlock Falls

Ha! So now we know it’s real!

we do?

Edited by SollX

The leaked image got removed and on brickset The next modular building is called {Diner}.

Edited by ddavid

8 hours ago, DeanLearner said:

Yeah exactly, and that’s my main reservation too. I like the Art Deco styling (though sympathise with others who prefer an older style) but aside from the SNOT tiling on the walls, the exterior of the upper floors seems both inconsistent and also a little bit unimaginative.

Its a shame, as there are some really great Art Deco MOCS out there (I can think of a few great ones by @snaillad.

At first glance, I totally agree with you both, although I think we have to wait til we see the official images. I also think the car looks quite bulky. I like the idea behind, but I feel it doesn't work. 

About the building, I love the art deco section of it, the ground floor looks great, but yeah, upper floors doesn't look too exciting, and the roof decoration doesn't match the deco vibe of the curved main section. It's a weird combination of architecture styles. Also think the 'D' on the Dinner sign looks too big.

I'm not a fan of oversized versions of the modulars by combining two or more sets, I like them the way they are, but I feel this may be the first time I will consider to buy two and mirror the building, as I feel the "jukebox section" will make more sense if placed in the middle of a symetric building.