The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

7 minutes ago, nikhkin said:

Tbh I went down the same thought process for Brick Bank and Detective's Office. For both I thought "urgh, an Americanised building" and for the BB I was annoyed at the laundry (not because it split the building like most, but because there weren't self-service laundries in the 1920s-1930s).

I got over my concerns about those and I am sure I will get over my concerns about this one. 

Yep - it'll probably grow on me. It just seems like a bit of a backwards step after the return to form of Assembly Square. 

I'm still not convinced about the real or fake modular building. On the fake side, the image is still available online. If it's real and this is sort of preliminary picture, shouldn't TLG removed it by now? The preliminary pics are always removed very quickly.

On the real side, based on this not so good picture, we're about to get shaked up design and color-wise. It's great to see a different design. Would be interesting to see if there will be more Art Deco buildings to follow. I'm also hoping to get more bright colours so the turquise bricks seem great. 

Lets wait and see then.

Yeah, the Diner may look a bit awkward among European buildings like GG, CC and PS. Next to DO, AS, BB, PC, GE, FB and maybe even TH it would fit in well, though!

Honestly I prefer by a lot the new American architecture rather than the European used for the first few modulars. The European buildings seem a bit bland in colours now - they feel "dry". Meanwhile, the American architecture sets are more lively and dynamic!

I mean, if this is a fake, it's an incredibly skilled one, and whoever would have the capacity to be so faithful towards the style deserves commendation. But I'm pretty sure it's real for the authenticity and the new colors and molds. The new faces don't bother me at all, and while I could understand the classic faces, these sets did feel a bit off with the old style. Here, they'll work much better with City and other Creator Expert sets. And a 50s diner? Sign me right up!

6 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

I dont understand how someone could be bothered so much with fact that this modular will include figs with some facial expresions... For those who liked those simple smiley faces (as I do) there is nothing easier than change their heads for the simple one... 

It’s true that it’s easy to change; however, it may also mark the end of an era. The modulars were the last place one could reliably get the classic Lego face. This may mean that they will no longer print the face that’s been around since 1978.

3 hours ago, nikhkin said:

Tbh I went down the same thought process for Brick Bank and Detective's Office. For both I thought "urgh, an Americanised building" and for the BB I was annoyed at the laundry (not because it split the building like most, but because there weren't self-service laundries in the 1920s-1930s).

I got over my concerns about those and I am sure I will get over my concerns about this one. 

It's kind of surprising to me how long people have been expecting all the modulars to be "1930s European" when they've routinely broken both those rules. Green Grocer was based on San Francisco buildings and had decidedly post-1930s refrigerators. Fire Brigade was based on American fire stations and had an American flag. Pet Shop's neighbor building was modeled on New York brownstones. Town Hall had a computer. Brick Bank, as you mention, had the laundromat. Assembly Square had a whole apartment full of LEGO building sets (even if we assume that in this fictional world the specific sets didn't come out the same years as IRL, LEGO bricks in general weren't a thing until the 50s).

There are probably even more differences that a history or architecture buff could find. But in general, I don't feel like the designers have ever intended the Modular Buildings to correspond to one specific real-world place and time. Best I can figure, they are situated in a fictional LEGO city where those sorts of boundaries aren't nearly as rigid.

If this is true, it will be the second modular we don't buy. Garish color scheme. Lack of architectural interest. I understand that many opinions will differ, but this is just... No.

Just now, Aanchir said:

It's kind of surprising to me how long people have been expecting all the modulars to be "1930s European" when they've routinely broken both those rules. Green Grocer was based on San Francisco buildings and had decidedly post-1930s refrigerators. Fire Brigade was based on American fire stations and had an American flag. Pet Shop's neighbor building was modeled on New York brownstones. Town Hall had a computer. Brick Bank, as you mention, had the laundromat. Assembly Square had a whole apartment full of LEGO building sets (even if we assume that in this fictional world the specific sets didn't come out the same years as IRL, LEGO bricks in general weren't a thing until the 50s).

There are probably even more differences that a history or architecture buff could find. But in general, I don't feel like the designers have ever intended the Modular Buildings to correspond to one specific real-world place and time. Best I can figure, they are situated in a fictional LEGO city where those sorts of boundaries aren't nearly as rigid.

Just because they have had American buildings before doesn't mean people don't want European styles. More specifically, most of the American style buildings can blend in pretty easily with European style. Something like a diner stands out a lot more as it is very specifically a part of American culture.  

Plus, remove the computer from the Town Hall and everything else gives you the idea of early 20th century (most notably the style of the fire engine). The Lego sets in AS are basically an Easter egg. And, from my perspective, the interior bothers me less than the interior. For example, if they made an apartment building and filled it with flat screen TVs I wouldn't mind. If, on the other hand, they made a glass covered apartment building, as is common these days in new developments, I would then take issue with it for being "too modern". 

I can even forgive the diner for the most part, as they did exist pre-1950s. I would just prefer something less obviously American. 

My biggest issue with the set, though, is the same as with the Detective's Office. I don't understand the inclusion of huge letter-based signs. This one is easy enough to omit though.

23 minutes ago, nikhkin said:

Just because they have had American buildings before doesn't mean people don't want European styles. More specifically, most of the American style buildings can blend in pretty easily with European style. Something like a diner stands out a lot more as it is very specifically a part of American culture.  

Plus, remove the computer from the Town Hall and everything else gives you the idea of early 20th century (most notably the style of the fire engine). The Lego sets in AS are basically an Easter egg. And, from my perspective, the interior bothers me less than the interior. For example, if they made an apartment building and filled it with flat screen TVs I wouldn't mind. If, on the other hand, they made a glass covered apartment building, as is common these days in new developments, I would then take issue with it for being "too modern". 

I can even forgive the diner for the most part, as they did exist pre-1950s. I would just prefer something less obviously American. 

My biggest issue with the set, though, is the same as with the Detective's Office. I don't understand the inclusion of huge letter-based signs. This one is easy enough to omit though.

Didn’t the modular buildings have huge letter-based signs from the very beginning? (hotel sign in Cafe Corner)

I can understand having very particular tastes in what sort of modular buildings you like. What confuses me is how often people project those preferences onto the designers, as if there are codified rules about setting or architectural style that they ordinarily adhere strictly to.

I went to the lego store. Ask assistant manager, she confirmed this picture is real as well (I asked the manager yesterday, he said its real image). The initial announcement is planned to be after brick Friday. But might be one week earlier as it has been leaked online. She can't remember the actual price, but she said it should be the same as the bank.  

9 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Didn’t the modular buildings have huge letter-based signs from the very beginning? (hotel sign in Cafe Corner)

I can understand having very particular tastes in what sort of modular buildings you like. What confuses me is how often people project those preferences onto the designers, as if there are codified rules about setting or architectural style that they ordinarily adhere strictly to.

Finally someone said whats been on my mind since forever. Its Lego, it doesn't need to be American, European etc or cater to specific tastes, it has to be unique, original, creative and above all it should be fun to build and display.

There are so many people world-over with varying tastes and preferences but for Lego its impossible to design their products based on individual tastes, if that was the case, the Modulars as a series would never have been able to even begin. Instead of trying to find faults with what could and could not have been, I myself prefer being grateful to Lego and its designers for coming up with such a wonderful series, which brought me out of my Dark years and has become one of my most passionate hobbies. The world would be a lot darker (atleast for me) without new Modulars to look forward to every year (irrespective of what, where and whichever period of time the Modular is loosely based upon).

end of rant.

3 minutes ago, spig1992 said:

I went to the lego store. Ask assistant manager, she confirmed this picture is real as well (I asked the manager yesterday, he said its real image). The initial announcement is planned to be after brick Friday. But might be one week earlier as it has been leaked online. She can't remember the actual price, but she said it should be the same as the bank.  

So many people have been saying the same thing, so i guess this really might turn out to be the 2018 modular, although its one more restaurant but who cares it looks amazing and so unique compared to all the earlier Modulars, I am sure my city would readily accommodate it. 

There is one definitive way to find out if this is real or not....

Someone report the initial post in this thread that has the link to the Chinese website to TLG. TLG will then contact  EB mods to demand they remove the link as directly linking to leaked pics is against the rules. If link gets removed, it's real, if it doesn't, TLG don't care, showing its fake :laugh:

The image is already out and a lot of people have saved it. We all have seen it, so it wouldn’t make any sense for TLG to remove this image. It’s too late for any moves.

35 minutes ago, spig1992 said:

The initial announcement is planned to be after brick Friday. But might be one week earlier as it has been leaked online.

So the official release will follow soon. Max a week. 

"The image is already out and a lot of people have saved it" has never stopped companies from having pictures taken down before. 

We'd all seen the pictures of the new Death Star but it was still taken down. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the details of the interior. 

3 minutes ago, ddavid said:

The image is already out and a lot of people have saved it. We all have seen it, so it wouldn’t make any sense for TLG to remove this image. It’s too late for any moves.

Irrelevant. Precedent on leaks always show they dislike them being out and still try right up until the day before official announcement. Although with Star Wars they are more heavy handed and more strict on it... 

A few people have mentioned that shop assistants in the lego stores have confirmed the picture is real but would they really be allowed to discuss unreleased sets with members of the public? For that matter would they even know anyway if they're just store workers?

Hmm I mean the way lego refused the lego ideas diner does point to them having something like this in mind- still, no confidential mark, hasn't been taken down yet... - think it's fake. 

Just now, Bricked1980 said:

A few people have mentioned that shop assistants in the lego stores have confirmed the picture is real but would they really be allowed to discuss unreleased sets with members of the public? For that matter would they even know anyway if they're just store workers?

Store employees get access to early information to better prepare them for questions from customers, and for the set launch itself. They've been known to let information like that slip before official reveals several times in the past, so it's nothing out of the ordinary here (especially if, as some people have alleged, the official reveal is happening this coming week). As for whether they're "allowed"... as long as that information can't be traced to them specifically by their workplace and name, it's not like they'd be at risk of any major repercussions. Things like retailer catalogs and confidential documents are a different matter, since they're often marked in ways to be able to determine their specific source if they should leak.

Just now, Lego-fire said:

Hmm I mean the way lego refused the lego ideas diner does point to them having something like this in mind- still, no confidential mark, hasn't been taken down yet... - think it's fake. 

That really doesn't mean anything. They reject a lot of ideas. As for a lack of "confidential", this is likely a Lego catalogue due out in December/January. "Confidential" stamps are typically on pre-release materials and mockups.

Just now, Bricked1980 said:

They often know things in advance. They may well have copies of the catalogue for December/January in stores already. If the information has leaked and they know they're announcing soon then they have nothing to lose. My local store often confirms unannounced things for me (often small things, like whether the UK is getting the same promotional items as the US etc). 

I can't help but feel that a diner would have been more suitable as a single story corner building (were they common on ground floors of multiple story buildings?). Combined with a regular straight, slightly narrower building on the "long" end and a diner on the corner, it would have made for another excellent 48 x 32 modular building.

6 minutes ago, Rick said:

I can't help but feel that a diner would have been more suitable as a single story corner building (were they common on ground floors of multiple story buildings?). Combined with a regular straight, slightly narrower building on the "long" end and a diner on the corner, it would have made for another excellent 48 x 32 modular building.

That certainly fits the image of a classic diner.  I think of New York City style structures, which could incorporate more levels.  Classic diners from the 50s era often were done in Art Deco.  I think this borrows a lot of the classic diner image and makes it three stories to accommodate more uses for the building.  It definitely has a South Beach (Miami) vibe to it with the color scheme.  The car is meant to resemble a Pink Cadillac, which recalls the image of travelling the Mother Road, aka. Route 66 and stopping off at places such as this.  So, the modular incorporates elements from both 50s style diners and Art Deco.  Now, I need to search and see if anyone has come up with a specialized Route 66 road sign.