The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Just now, Hemlock Falls said:

Most of them have sides with very little to offer visually.  I'm often finding it a challenge to figure out which one to put PR next to, maybe this'll be it.

That's kinda what I meant. The suggestion from AFOLguy1970 seemed to be that you'd have to put it next to AS, instead of choosing where you wanted to put it.

Honestly, I can't picture those colors next to any of the former modulars, except maybe the bank (because it's white).  I hope the pieces that make up the letters and the arch are available in other colors.

I do kind of like the car though.  I mean, it's not even a great City line car, but if you're gonna do a diner, 50s or 80s, pink cadillacs are the quintessential ride.

16 minutes ago, Yorel said:

That's kinda what I meant. The suggestion from AFOLguy1970 seemed to be that you'd have to put it next to AS, instead of choosing where you wanted to put it.

Actually, in the earlier post, I was suggesting that PR might be a better fit, because the photo had it placed next to AS, thus revealing a bit too much of it's bad side.  

1 hour ago, Hemlock Falls said:

I'm often finding it a challenge to figure out which one to put PR next to, maybe this'll be it.

Here's an awesome solution from member Superfunk (<-link to post in PR thread) no more stairwell gap between buildings:

14784583489_cf6ef87d0e_z.jpg

Edited by koalayummies

The thread on a popular LEGO Facebook fan site has since disappeared...

and I figure that since AS was a nod to the last 10 years of modulars then this new one is like a reset of the modular "standard" explaining the non standard smiley faces...

What I like about this set — assuming it is real, which I strongly suspect it is — is that it extends the idea of the modular town/city out a bit from the existing modulars, which rely heavily on older European and east coast US cities for inspiration. Though it may not fit in all of our LEGO cities, it definitely gives the Palace Cinema some company, and expands the palette of building styles into a slightly different era/architecture. A few color swaps to the hot pink and teal elements would reduce the kitschiness of the building, while still preserving the American Graffiti vibe. 

This new modular is awesome, so many things to love :wub: I’ve been wanting a 50s style diner for years now so this is awesome! I really love the bright colours and architecture style they are going for so I will definitely have to pick this one up.

Also a couple of things I noticed; there’s a 50s styled letterbox outside the diner behind the car, the car is carrying a guitar and the top floor looks to have some recording tech so I’m assuming a recording studio, new flower pieces, roller skates in brown(I think that’s new), I think the weightlifter has a new hair peice. And the bricks above the Diner sign are quite pronounced compared to Assebly Square on the left?

Anyway I hope this is real, as it looks like a great set that will certainly be enjoyed by many.

Edited by Foxes Productionz

Just now, Foxes Productionz said:

Also a couple of things I noticed; there’s a 50s styled letterbox outside the diner behind the car, the car is carrying a guitar and the top floor looks to have some recording tech so I’m assuming a recording studio, new flower pieces, roller skates in brown(I think that’s new), I think the weightlifter has a new hair peice. And the bricks above the Diner sign are quite pronounced compared to Assebly Square on the left?

The "bricks" are snot tiles. Which also explains not being able to see the join between floors people have been going on about. The floors clearly come at the 8 and 16 stud points of the Teal pieces on the right.

I haven’t bought any modular buildings, although I’ve wanted the Parisian Restaurant since it was revealed. I did buy Ninjago City, though, and that’s made me want more modulars. I was planning on getting the Palace Cinema when it goes on sale next weekend, but this new one looks like the best modular building yet! I really like the old classic smile for the figures, but it is a lot nicer to have some life and expression in them. Like someone else mentioned, CMFs would fit into modulars so well if the figures in the sets had regular faces. I hope this is real!

6 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

I find it amusing that there might be a gym right above a diner.  Imagine eating your dinner and hearing all of the activity just above you!  If it is a gym, then you would not really need a lot of parts for that part of the interior since they are mostly empty space anyway.  That would allow for more part distribution for the vehicle and interior details of the diner itself.  Maybe the third level is Jim's apartment?

It fits with the 'humour' that Lego promotes. In the Assembly Square there is a dentists office right above the cake shop.

Also, fake or not, I like it.

Well that’s all come as a welcome night shift distraction! I was initially sceptical, but it would have to be an extremely elaborate and well-timed hoax, especially given the novel colour and piece use as observed above. I’m therefore increasingly inclined to believe it’s genuine.

I really love the late Art Deco Streamline Moderne style that this model aims to capture. I do have some reservations about the exposed “ugly” sides of other modulars when placed in a row, but on the whole, I am very happy that it conforms to a more recognisable architectural style (with some of the previous modulars falling into a bit of an uncanny valley).

I especially think it’s a good idea that they try to move the modular concept forward a little. Between the official modulars and all the fantastic MOCs out there, the ubiquitous “grey stripe” between floors was starting to become stale, and the SNOT tile technique, alongside the updated minifigure faces, feels like a breath of fresh air.

Another thought...

Any chance that those tiles on the sides are Cool Yellow (rather than Tan)?

Also, Any idea what is going on in the area by the door to the lower right? I can’t work out whether it’s a extensive sticker/print (possibly involving multiple parts), or whether it’s all just transparent panels/window panes with an unusually well-lit interior behind.

Edited by DeanLearner
Spelling

After a night of sleep, i think it is real....there are a lot of reasons to think so...mostly mentioned already! Like it or not...it does add variation to our streets! That is what i like...colors and variation! I hope there will also be a few nice cadillac speed champions to fill the streets! Now waiting for the official announcement!

3 minutes ago, LegoSjaak said:

After a night of sleep, i think it is real....there are a lot of reasons to think so...mostly mentioned already! Like it or not...it does add variation to our streets! That is what i like...colors and variation! I hope there will also be a few nice cadillac speed champions to fill the streets! Now waiting for the official announcement!

Well.... it seems that this is kind a  situation that need to accept the fact whether like it or not. In terms of the interpreting the word 'Classic' it could be expressed in various way ..such as European building  style we could see from CC, GG or most of modular building or American (?) style like DO or FB..but this one...yes..someone said Artdeco but...this rumored image still seems to me kind a weird mixture of....I don't know style... As someone in this thread said, some changes in this images such as using non classic face and relatively more contemporary building style are the next  new wave modular theme, then,,,I may loose the passion and affection towards modular set I have done since 2008....  

I have been hoping for a Post Office or Police Station eventually, but this...this I like.  The Diner's retro appearance really sticks out compared to other modulars.  The pink and turqoise elements help with that.  I also noticed how it resembles a jukebox.  Really interested in seeing the interior and what the 2nd and 3rd floors feature.  So far I am guessing they are apartments.  The pink Cadillac is a nice addition, too. One thing I am curious about though are the faces on the figures.  That's the one thing that has me suspicious.

No doubt this is legit (and no, I don't have confirmation) and I quite like it. :sweet: 

About the hairpieces

-Not sure but I think the hairpiece in the guy in the car is new

First, I thought it was the S6 Mechanic's hair but it isn't 

-Also, which hairpiece is the boxer using, the Hollywood Starlet's?

-The waitress hairpiece is either the Harley Quinn's bun (from the movie line) or a recolor of the S11 Waitress hairpiece. I can't really tell

Just now, Robert8 said:

About the hairpieces

-Not sure but I think the hairpiece in the guy in the car is new

First, I thought it was the S6 Mechanic's hair but it isn't 

-Also, which hairpiece is the boxer using, the Hollywood Starlet's?

-The waitress hairpiece is either the Harley Quinn's bun (from the movie line) or a recolor of the S11 Waitress hairpiece. I can't really tell

Hairpiece on that guy in the pink car, was used already for example on Dareth in Temple of Airjitzu set (2015), his torso piece is actualy torso of Robin (without blue bow tie) from TLBM series. 

I still think this is a corner building and we are yet to see one whole side of the facade as only 29 studs or so are showing, probably a doctors .

I dont understand how someone could be bothered so much with fact that this modular will include figs with some facial expresions... For those who liked those simple smiley faces (as I do) there is nothing easier than change their heads for the simple one... 

11 hours ago, Mosse1997 said:

For me Lego Modulars are like Pokémon Go: Gotta buy 'em all :P

Me to, but this was not a instant love to me, but the last one I fell for immediately was PR! But they all grow on me after a while and definitely when I start building them :sweet: Now I will have somewhere to put the until now out of place CMF Diner Waitress, and for those who got the boxers and other training CMF figs they also get a home now :wink:

This tread bubble surly burst during the night :laugh:

Edited by Roebuck

14 hours ago, Terrasher said:

I see them.

Weird, it'll kinda be like the parisian restaurant, then. It's not a corner building but the width of the upper floors don't cover the width of the baseplate.

Looking forward to getting the Diner (hoping it's real) and putting it next to the PR.

The pavement goes round the corner and up the stairs so it is kinda a corner