The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Just now, jlassen said:

any info on

31080: Modular Winter Lodge

I see a listing in brickset with this title, but no details.  (except for "Mini Modular" which I guess means its not really a modular, right?)

Without having seen it, I'd say it is like 31069: Modular Family Villa. LEGO is using the term modular to mean that individual modules can be rearranged. 

8 minutes ago, GCO said:

That's not a Creator Expert, jlassen!

LOL. I got excited for some detailed winter modular. I guess I have to buy a couple of the friends winter holiday sets and make my own.

Just now, jlassen said:

LOL. I got excited for some detailed winter modular. I guess I have to buy a couple of the friends winter holiday sets and make my own.

jlassen, I did that two times for some advent activities in the village I used to live. It's fun to cover everything up in snow :-) :

2 hours ago, jlassen said:

any info on

31080: Modular Winter Lodge

I see a listing in brickset with this title, but no details.  (except for "Mini Modular" which I guess means its not really a modular, right?)

This one was leaked some time ago. Can't post photos for obvious reasons. Modular in a similar vein to the Skatepark/Funhouse 31081. Think a little cabin/chalet, with a white roof that doubles as a ski-slope, with a picnic table outside.

I really don't like these new "modular"houses and stuff.  They're very flimsy and lack the aesthetic value of earlier houses like the Apple Tree House and Hillside House. The open backs are lame.

I truly hope lego abandons this vein of houses.

To stay on the topic of this thread, It makes me very sad to consider the possibility that the Ninjago modular is this year's installment.  It just looks obnoxious and stupid.

If Assembly Square is the end of the modular family, I think my disappointment in lego would be overwhelming.

To add to the sentiment of an earlier post, I know everyone can see a difference in scale between the first 5 or so modulars and the more recent ones, but I agree that this is a natural looking cityscape of varying size and style buildings. I think they all look quite well together.

The only ones I am not in love with is the Palace Cinema and that weird, blue Market Street (which I will never pursue getting). I have 2 PCs (one rebuilt and the comedy club from BCD), but it never looks quite right when I rearrange my city. I often try to hide it in the back somehow. 

I guess if lego forsakes the modular theme (not the crappy "modular" houses), I'm just going to have to finally break down and try designing my own or let the ones I have get all dusty and neglected until I try to sell them someday.

1 hour ago, Hemlock Falls said:

I really don't like these new "modular"houses and stuff.  They're very flimsy and lack the aesthetic value of earlier houses like the Apple Tree House and Hillside House. The open backs are lame.

I truly hope lego abandons this vein of houses.

To stay on the topic of this thread, It makes me very sad to consider the possibility that the Ninjago modular is this year's installment.  It just looks obnoxious and stupid.

If Assembly Square is the end of the modular family, I think my disappointment in lego would be overwhelming.

To add to the sentiment of an earlier post, I know everyone can see a difference in scale between the first 5 or so modulars and the more recent ones, but I agree that this is a natural looking cityscape of varying size and style buildings. I think they all look quite well together.

The only ones I am not in love with is the Palace Cinema and that weird, blue Market Street (which I will never pursue getting). I have 2 PCs (one rebuilt and the comedy club from BCD), but it never looks quite right when I rearrange my city. I often try to hide it in the back somehow. 

I guess if lego forsakes the modular theme (not the crappy "modular" houses), I'm just going to have to finally break down and try designing my own or let the ones I have get all dusty and neglected until I try to sell them someday.

Very interesting, Hemlock Falls... :-)

I would bet that AS is not the end of the modular buildings and I am really looking forward to a new house for 2018. So let's hope that I am right! ;-)

When you look at my picture you can see that PR isn't that much lower than CC and GE has the same height as AS. Maybe some think smaller buildings mean less bricks... I don't know.

Regarding PC and MS: I am totally with you! Same here, I will never try to get MS, because for me it's not really part of the series. PC looks okay next to DO and FB, because they all look American, but it will always be at the end of my Lego street.

If Lego would stop making them, I guess I would work on a MOC. Just because I love that series so much!

5 hours ago, Hemlock Falls said:

I strongly agree. It was great that the earlier houses and sets like the Creator Bike Shop and Cafe were able to be modified, somewhat easily, into smaller (16 wide) Modular buildings either only with the included pieces or by buying two or more of the sets.

The new "Modular" houses, even when purchased in multiple, would require a lot of additional pieces to come close to a smaller Modular building. Lego has really reduced the potential for fans to (easily) add to their Modular street / city block. Lego is also missing the consumer market for the "middle ground" between the more expensive Modulars and the new, smaller Creator houses. There is now no mid-range price point for residential or commercial / business builds.

Of course, Lego could rectify this by offering both a 32 wide AND a smaller 16 wide Modular each year! But, that's probably not going to happen.

6 hours ago, Hemlock Falls said:

(...) To stay on the topic of this thread, It makes me very sad to consider the possibility that the Ninjago modular is this year's installment.  It just looks obnoxious and stupid.

If Assembly Square is the end of the modular family, I think my disappointment in lego would be overwhelming. (...)

Strongly disagree... NC is one of best sets on its own and fits into modular city perfectly if moded slightly - mostly baseplate and surroundings of river. If u dont like it, dont buy it. Your criticism is out of place. You cant criticise model just because it doesnt fit to your city or layout or whatever. If you are not satisfied with current offer, make your own buildings... :)

And AS, ...that modular is trully masterpiece on what it is. But its not the end. 

Just now, Blazej_Holen said:

Strongly disagree... NC is one of best sets on its own and fits into modular city perfectly if moded slightly - mostly baseplate and surroundings of river. If u dont like it, dont buy it. Your criticism is out of place. You cant criticise model just because it doesnt fit to your city or layout or whatever. If you are not satisfied with current offer, make your own buildings... :)

And AS, ...that modular is trully masterpiece on what it is. But its not the end. 

It's not that it doesn't fit but more like Lego decided to use ninjago in all there classic themes and now it taking over what Lego is

Just now, legocruncher said:

It's not that it doesn't fit but more like Lego decided to use ninjago in all there classic themes and now it taking over what Lego is

Not true. Ninj\go eries has its own theme (actually two if Movie is counted separately). NC is not modular bulding in terms of "Modular buildings line". It is conectible, it is compatible and it is modular but not under Creator Expert.

Just now, Blazej_Holen said:

Not true. Ninj\go eries has its own theme (actually two if Movie is counted separately). NC is not modular bulding in terms of "Modular buildings line". It is conectible, it is compatible and it is modular but not under Creator Expert.

It just feels like ninjago is everywhere with versions of everything and would be ashame to associate a Lego movie with a timeless theme but everyone has opinions

Edited by legocruncher

Just now, legocruncher said:

It just feels like ninjago is everywhere with versions of everything and would be ashame to associate a Lego movie with a timeless theme

I dont think so...

This year's modular is Assembly Square.

Next year's modular will be known shortly (i.e. in the next month or so).

There is no evidence whatsoever that LEGO considers Ninjago City (a SUPERB set, but not a modular in the classic sense) a part of the Creator Expert modular building line.

Jamie has draft designs for next 10 years worth of modulars ready, so unless something changes (like their sales drop off), there is no reason to believe the line will end.

11 hours ago, GCO said:

I absolutely understand why people modify the buildings to their liking, but I don't understand why they all have to be 32x32 buildings. A real town has buildings of all sizes as well. I for example would like to have more buildings like the Petshop, because of their narrow size.

How about a bunch of narrow buildings!

And your snow-covered modular street is most excellent. Wonderful change of scenery. 

Edited by koalayummies

Was actually thinking about this last night...

we should know pretty soon if they continue with the trend of releasing them on january.

the january calender should be online within 1 week , 2 weeks maximum

if its not on January´s calender then yes we can start panic*huh*

Edited by just_one

I remember from a video on youtube that Jamie said on a tour that the average time they need to make a creator expert is 3 months...

Perhaps its the same for the modulars, so they're maybe not completely done yet with this one?

Edited by Doge

hmmm so far rumors about next modular themes are...train station and...post office? I prefer post office although I am a great fan of 12v and early 90s 9v train theme..

I think November 17 or somewhere around there is when Detectives Office was officially announced, and that was well after we already knew the name of the set and some details.  Today also happens to be the last weekday before we get into the Black Friday week.  It is hard to imagine an announcement getting made next week with Joker Manor, Taj Mahal, and all the BF promotions.  After that, you are only about a month away.  My guess is an announcement is either today or this thing is getting a delayed release.  Good point about the January newsletter.  Plus, they have to print the catalogs for the new year as well.  It amazes me how no one knows anything, not even a set name or some type of vague description.  I can see Lego keeping a lid on photos and specs, but for nothing to be known by this late in the year, that is a first.  

As far as post office rumors, that started in Brickset, and the poster admitted it was just a joke.  No one in any other forum is spilling the beans either.  As far as I can remember, Lego is not in the habit of announcing new stuff in December as the primary focus is to sell as much as they can for Christmas, so they are advertising what they already have.  

Disclaimer:  All of this is just a guess, and no, I am not "panicking" that there is not going to be a modular.  I just think that either a new precedent is being set, or its release is delayed.  

7 hours ago, legocruncher said:

It just feels like ninjago is everywhere with versions of everything and would be ashame to associate a Lego movie with a timeless theme but everyone has opinions

What do you mean 'ninjago is everywhere'? It's not as if there are ninjago police, fire, and construction sets. For city-focused builders, ninjago sets have some useful design elements:

1. More variety of city clothing (yellow-skin compatible!) and characters
  2. City-related builds

26547116499_f8ef037d34_m_d.jpg26547125889_f5a023a177_m_d.jpg36095455435_acce65ddc8_m_d.jpg

The same can be said of the first LEGO movie, where we got nicely designed ice cream and sanitation vehicles and many interesting city characters. And I have incorporated the 'future' police vehicles into my city... kind of like bladerunner or minority report.

Not much from the LEGO Batman movie, unless you're interested in police-related items.

LEGO should use their midway license (from LEGO Dimensions, rip) and create a video arcade or put some arcade cabinets in the back room of a store. I have fond memories of visiting a local italian knick-knack shop after school to play their arcade games in the back room. Kids these days won't really know what an arcade is. Heck, they may not even know what a see-saw is. But these throwbacks should appeal to the AFOL.

Edited by badbob001

Hi, I'm new here but have been keeping a close eye on this forum over the last couple of weeks desperate to hear any news of the next modular.

If you look back at all the major releases from Lego over the past year it seems that they almost always make official announcements during the second half of the month somewhere from the 18th onwards. Also for the past 3 months they have announced one major d2c set right at the end of each month...

August 31st - Millennium Falcon

September 27th - Joker Manor

October 31st - Taj Mahal

Although the modular set would normally have been announced by now, it wouldn't make much strategic sense to announce it close to to these other sets and steal their thunder. From looking at this release pattern over the last few months, my personal guess is that the new modular will be officially announced some time over the next 2 weeks, possibly as soon as this coming Monday but more likely during the last week of November. I'd also be willing to bet it'll still go on sale at the start of January as this has been the tradition for the past few years now.

Finally although it seems unusual to have not heard any solid rumors by now, I honestly think this is just down to Lego tightening up their security. Both the Joker Manor and the Taj Mahal were complete surprises when they were announced.

I think if you're seeing Ninjago everywhere it means you're focusing on it.  I remember having a similar feeling when the batman movie was released.  It's just saturated right now because they're pushing a movie line, but while there has been crossover in terms of similarity to other lines I don't feel like Ninjago has taken anything away from other lines, just 'in addition to'.  I personally like the stuff and was going to go all-in on the Ninjago movie stuff because I like the variety.  I haven't even seen the movie but the Ninjago City has been my favorite build since Parisian Restaurant where I was genuinely excited for the duration of the build.  

If we are getting a Post Office Modular on a 32x32 plate I feel like there is going to be at least a second, if not third, focus of the building.  While I love plenty of residential space I prefer them separate from the other uses.  I.E. I hope its not a first floor post office with just apartments above.  A 2nd floor arcade would be very cool.  I just hope we see something soon because this thread is making more impatient than I would be normally.

I wouldn't like first floor Post Office with apartments above because that's not very realistic. I've never seen that in the US from small towns to big cities post offices always seem to be a building unto themselves.

Does anyone know the details of the discount on the Palace Cinema that is coming up?