The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I hope it's a fake because it's a very ugly building. And the gas station is totally uninteresting, because there are many better options. 

It's a fake, it's just a photoshop of a different building on what seems to be the Assembly Square box. That said, I kind of like it in it's own right, even if it doesn't fit the current modular building style

16 hours ago, ddavid said:

Thanks @paupadros for this leak! Now we have something to work with :) . Will the real box be the same size as that from the leak? It's also 16+ so we know that this won't be a winter village set. Hmmm... what set could be postponed? I don't think a modular would be postponed.

March is not a time for modulars to come out.

Straight outta Reddit! As a matter of fact, Palace Cinema did come out in March!

7 hours ago, Hart New Bob said:

That image says Confidential, BAN HIM/HER. (Just Joking)

Glad it's a joke! :laugh: Kind of embarassing I didn't check the watermark year... :look:

And on the topic of the gas station, a Texaco Back to the Future one would be rather brillint. Yes, similar to Flo's V8 in Cars.

To me the essence of a 'modular series' building is something that fits a standard pavement/sidewalk size and that is more importantly modular in relation to its stack-able floors. I don't foresee a stack-able train station, even shoeing in a hotel or restaurant etc above it would probably detract from an imposing station by way of increased piece count and price.

Modulars are a tried and tested formula, I can't imagine they will stray too far outside the safe norm however I could envisage TLG making an additional large style city set perhaps not modular but under an expert line perhaps to commemorate the 60th anniversary (And their current love for high piece/priced sets).

Either way with people posting on EB and other sites their city styled/modular buildings it becomes harder for TLG to surprise and interest me. The only set I buy a year is now the modular building and I still haven't purchased AS yet - doesn't really excite me.

I hope for better in the coming year.

21 minutes ago, snaillad said:

The only set I buy a year is now the modular building and I still haven't purchased AS yet - doesn't really excite me.

I hope for better in the coming year.

That’s a shame snaillad, as AS is a great build, and the finished product is one of the better finished modulars from the last 2 / 3 years. 

1 hour ago, snaillad said:

Either way with people posting on EB and other sites their city styled/modular buildings it becomes harder for TLG to surprise and interest me. The only set I buy a year is now the modular building and I still haven't purchased AS yet - doesn't really excite me.

Is it just me, or people have been holding on to AS? I know I am, but in the last few pages, it seems like a surprising amount of people have also done it. It could actually be the modular that nobody bought the year it was released.

46 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

That’s a shame snaillad, as AS is a great build, and the finished product is one of the better finished modulars from the last 2 / 3 years. 

Not getting into much discussion, but I must say it just laps Brick Bank. Maybe not so much with DO and PR, but it is so much better than BB.

Athough its middle building has never really grown on me. Let's be honest it's the medium nougat building the one that makes it a worthwhile piece for the shelf!

Just now, paupadros said:

Is it just me, or people have been holding on to AS? I know I am, but in the last few pages, it seems like a surprising amount of people have also done it. It could actually be the modular that nobody bought the year it was released

not here , the moment they announce it i loved it and start saving for it.

One of the first things i did this year was actually buying Assembly Square lol

35 minutes ago, paupadros said:

Is it just me, or people have been holding on to AS? I know I am, but in the last few pages, it seems like a surprising amount of people have also done it. It could actually be the modular that nobody bought the year it was released.

Bought it a week ago :tongue: I always wait until I get a good deal, this time it was 34% of (Norwegian price) and a bricktober set :grin:

51 minutes ago, paupadros said:

Yeah, there's something about AS that doesn’t quite click for me. Even though the interiors, and ground floor in general, are pretty great, somehow the set seems to lack stylistic coherence. Several of the features (such as the spire on the bakery) feel slightly grandiose for the very small scale of the buildings, and the colours are a bit of a mish-mash (the dark red awnings/roofing over the 1st/2nd floors of the bakery feel particularly incongruous), which means it feels more like a “sampler” of difference concepts (which in a sense it is) than a clear thing in itself.

I don’t think I can explain it fantastically, but somehow AS has neither the stylistic clarity of PR (where you instantly get a feel of what they were aiming for), nor the crammed urban sense that DO (kind of) approximates. Apologies for the tangent! I’m certainly hoping for a return to a single 32x32 building with a bit more space to develop the concept.

9 minutes ago, DeanLearner said:

Yeah, there's something about AS that doesn’t quite click for me. Even though the interiors, and ground floor in general, are pretty great, somehow the set seems to lack stylistic coherence. Several of the features (such as the spire on the bakery) feel slightly grandiose for the very small scale of the buildings, and the colours are a bit of a mish-mash (the dark red awnings/roofing over the 1st/2nd floors of the bakery feel particularly incongruous), which means it feels more like a “sampler” of difference concepts (which in a sense it is) than a clear thing in itself.

I'm building it right now (only bags #6 left now), and that's pretty much how I feel & have felt ever since I saw the first pictures...but for what it is, it's still a great build that has brought me heaps of fun already.

I'm replacing the dark red awnings with dark blue (to match the ground floor awnings and spire roof).

I also wanted to use light grey (snot pieces) and tan (tiles) for the facade instead of tan and medium nougat (I think that the medium nougat clashes with the tan, and the colors of the other buildings, too), but the 1x1 with studs on two adjacent sides is not available in light grey yet :(.

I think recently the only modular that I wanted and almost bought was the Brick Bank. I think it was for those pretty windows. I ended up Bricklinking the windows instead, and when Assembly Square came out, I was tempted again. But because of the high price I decided not to buy it. Which is ironic because instead I blew a bunch of money on BL getting parts for the Academy MOC. Funny how that seems to happen! 

17 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

I'm replacing the dark red awnings with dark blue (to match the ground floor awnings and spire roof).

I also wanted to use light grey (snot pieces) and tan (tiles) for the facade instead of tan and medium nougat (I think that the medium nougat clashes with the tan, and the colors of the other buildings, too), but the 1x1 with studs on two adjacent sides is not available in light grey yet :(.

Yes! I've not had a chance to build it yet, but I was planning to do the same colour exchange with the dark red to dark blue. I know what you mean about the medium nougat - I like the colour but it feels oversaturated compared to the light and dark bley (and I think replacing either of those colours would be very difficult - maybe white would help though.

I was also wondering whether it would be possible to replace the Nexo knights shield at the the top of the other building as it looks a bit unfinished, and maybe just remove the extremely bright flower sign completely.

Yeah, I don't really like the look of Assembly Square either. I like the left, blue building with the café, but the right, brown building seems not quite right. I do like though the look and vibe of the Brick Bank ☺.

When the new modular comes out, I'll have to decide whether I should buy the BB or the new one.

The AS is not quite for me. I'll probably skip it to save money for the rumored Anniversary set, Station or Creator Building set :classic: .

I still have to purchase the palace cinema, but due to the realise of all the new sets I have to pass it too. Unfortunately...

Edited by ddavid
grammar ☺

9 hours ago, ddavid said:

.I still have to purchase the palace cinema, but due to the realise of all the new sets I have to pass it too. Unfortunately...

New sets can wait a while, but these old one like PC will be retired soon so its better to pick them up rather then skip them for the new sets...

There is lot of negative speech about AS...and yet it is one of the best modular building, so far. Every building from those three include in set is perfect and has its own interesting and yet reused and upgraded design which is lice...And also its a great parts pack. 

Edited by Blazej_Holen

1 hour ago, Blazej_Holen said:

New sets can wait a while, but these old one like PC will be retired soon so its better to pick them up rather then skip them for the new sets...

There is lot of negative speech about AS...and yet it is one of the best modular building, so far. Every building from those three include in set is perfect and has its own interesting and yet reused and upgraded design which is lice...And also its a great parts pack. 

True, but they also never make a set that everyone loves. That is why I think it is great they make such different ones. 

I picked up Detective's office on 17 June, which was my first Modular Set, and immediately fell in love with these kind of sets. Bought Palace Cinema this summer (because it might be retired soon) and Brick Bank this week (still have to receive it). I had Assembly Square once in my cart already with 32% off (!!), but then decided not to order it which I regret now.

I will wait for the announcement of the new modular set and then decide which will be the next set I buy, but I presume I will end up with all the sets available later anyway haha. It is such a pity you cannot buy the old sets anymore and that they are retired.

Glad that the Octan modular is a fake. It was meh. Meanwhile, the anticipation for the reveal just keeps gettinf more intense. I want to know now. :tongue:

Just now, BrickFit26 said:

Glad that the Octan modular is a fake. It was meh. Meanwhile, the anticipation for the reveal just keeps gettinf more intense. I want to know now. :tongue:

The waiting drove me mad....

16 hours ago, ddavid said:

I like the left, blue building with the café, but the right, brown building seems not quite right. I do like though the look and vibe of the Brick Bank

Opposite to me, the nougat building is just :wub:, but the blue building is a bit meh-ish. And the green building is just an unclear thing. Just not sold on light grey+sand green. Might've been better with white and sand green

18 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

I posted an image of a house pretty identical to the nougat building on AS here on Eurobricks a few weeks ago, but in Sand Blue. I have a feeling it would look better than in Tan, (you know, I did some testing on LDD). If you're going for it, drop some pictures!

Edited by paupadros

19 hours ago, DeanLearner said:

Yeah, there's something about AS that doesn’t quite click for me. Even though the interiors, and ground floor in general, are pretty great, somehow the set seems to lack stylistic coherence.

Since AS celebrated the 10 year anniversary for modular buildings, it was supposed to be a mish mash of all the building styles of previous sets. As a standalone set, I think it captures the essence of the modular line, it looks great and is a really fun build. But when placed in between the other buildings, there's nothing specific that stands out to give it character. It sort of just disappears.

Imo something just seems not quite right with AS. Maybe because there are 3 distinct and different in style buildings rather than one (or two) building(s) with a similar style and era.

On 25-10-2017 at 8:23 PM, RogerSmith said:

First thing we did as soon as we built it. :laugh:
Looks so much better!

The Octan building, fake as it is as a leak, actually does not look too bad.
I very much doubt we shall get a corner building.
For us, anything with a bit of living space on any of the floors would be perfect.

I was thinking about something this morning. What about a fully detailed police station? One aimed at AFOL but that has enough play features so the kids can enjoy as well. I guess making this a modular would limit the possibilities on the exterior since it needs to be connectable to other buildings. I don't know, perhaps we'll see this idea down the road in Creator Expert (or what about a new City Expert line!). 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the reveal of this year's modular.

1 hour ago, Boboboum said:

I was thinking about something this morning. What about a fully detailed police station? One aimed at AFOL but that has enough play features so the kids can enjoy as well. I guess making this a modular would limit the possibilities on the exterior since it needs to be connectable to other buildings. I don't know, perhaps we'll see this idea down the road in Creator Expert (or what about a new City Expert line!). 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the reveal of this year's modular.

I can see it now.  A modular built entirely of tiny helicopters.  (Someone get on that btw)  I would like a Police Station as well and since I don't have Fire Brigade I could hopefully mod a 2nd Police Station modular to function as a firehouse.

7 hours ago, Boboboum said:

What about a fully detailed police station?

Rumours and wishes for a modular police station have been for years, but it never happened. But now a police station would be needed. We have a bank with robbers, a detective and a police women. A police station would be perfect! We have a fire brigade, but no police station. It makes no sense. I would like to see one this year.

Or to be honest anything by now would excite me! We have been waiting for a official confirmation of what the new modular will be. Past years we knew everything by now, but today we know practically nothing. Not even the name. I hope an announcement will come soon. I'm dying out of curiosity. :grin:

6 hours ago, Willworkfortoys said:

I would like a Police Station as well and since I don't have Fire Brigade

The same with me!