The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

33 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

Or maybe an old timey Wildcat model. Those pieces from the Batman set don't really allow for anything else. No banked curves, no inverting elements etc. Don't see what would require an extensive piece count here. Supports can be done with technic pieces, and apart from that you only need a small train or two, a ticket booth, some signage, fences, and that#s pretty much it. Plus, remember, the line reproduces fairground rides, and most fairgound coasters are rather small.

The Wildcat makes me think about the Cyclone coaster on kickstarter which is priced $149. For a price twice as high as the Cyclone, TLG could release something better ;)

Maybe a modular coaster...

Yes! Lego could realise something similar, but it will be more colourful, a bit smaller and with a booth. Just like the Ferris wheel.

This could be an exciting addition to my collection!

9 hours ago, dylanfarrow said:

Thanks CapitaoHook!

I took a quick look at the prices in FT, and for AS (10255), the FT price is 20% higher than the GBP price from the Lego.com website. Taking that into account:

10256: Expert Creator - 114,990Ft ~ £265. Same price as Ninjago city, so could have anywhere around 4,500 - 5,000 pieces. Taj Mahal could be a decent rumour, or Eiffel Tower, but hoping for something new.
10260: Expert Creator -   49,990Ft ~ £120. Same as the old price of the modulars. Now they are £142, which is almost exactly 49,990Ft in GBP (£144). Looks to be the next modular.
10261: Expert Creator -   99,990Ft ~ £230. Hoping the same as others for a Roller Coaster. Joker Manor at £249 is close in price, but also has a license fee included. That set had c. 3,500 pieces, so a decent amount of parts to build the structure.
10262: Expert Creator -   44,990Ft ~ £105. Creator cars a bit less at £75, so I'm really hoping for a Train! Wishful thinking possibly.
10263: Expert Creator -   29,990Ft ~ £70. Right price for either next Winter Village (current ones are £75) or Expert car. 

Sounds closer to the mark! The price is different in each country so a direct converting can end up somewhat of the target :classic:

So you might want to take this with a grain of salt, but I've heard some tentative rumors about a train station. Perhaps that's the reason they made the WV one so tiny ... :grin:

Just reporting what I heard, no guarantees, no refunds.

Just now, Brick Dangerous said:

So you might want to take this with a grain of salt, but I've heard some tentative rumors about a train station. Perhaps that's the reason they made the WV one so tiny ... :grin:

hmm  so could be a 'modular scale' train station?

Just now, jaesroe said:

hmm  so could be a 'modular scale' train station?

That would give a nice push into changing my current trainstation into a modular one.... i would be positive for that!

I am highly sceptical about a train station modular. I don't see how it could possibly fit in with the other modulars.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a train station set, but not as one of the modular buildings. We are overdue a new train, so it could be a train with station set, similar to the cargo port train set. 

Just now, nikhkin said:

I am highly sceptical about a train station modular. I don't see how it could possibly fit in with the other modulars.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a train station set, but not as one of the modular buildings. We are overdue a new train, so it could be a train with station set, similar to the cargo port train set. 

Adding a trainstation would give a big impulse for AFOL's to change their layout into one with a train...which would push sales of parts and train-related stuff too...

Just now, ddavid said:

A big, stone train station... That would be awesome! I could live without a coaster if that's true!

I wouldn't buy a train station, or possibly mod it into something else. It just wouldn't fit my "main street" layout.

But with that said, it could be a really cool building and I envy those who have the space for such a layout.

Just now, bjorn77 said:

I wouldn't buy a train station, or possibly mod it into something else. It just wouldn't fit my "main street" layout.

But with that said, it could be a really cool building and I envy those who have the space for such a layout.

...my head is generating already lots of nice ideas... The current trainstation is the less developed area...so it would suit me very good!

2 minutes ago, LegoSjaak said:

Adding a trainstation would give a big impulse for AFOL's to change their layout into one with a train...which would push sales of parts and train-related stuff too...

Perhaps, but it doesn't change the fact that it wouldn't physically fit in with the other modulars. They are designed to form a block, so any track would be trapped in the middle with nowhere to go. 

Just now, nikhkin said:

Perhaps, but it doesn't change the fact that it wouldn't physically fit in with the other modulars. They are designed to form a block, so any track would be trapped in the middle with nowhere to go. 

Sometimes you need to think 'outside of the box'...

40 minutes ago, LegoSjaak said:

Sometimes you need to think 'outside of the box'...

I guess you meant 'outside of the block'...

:wink:

Just now, Gongoro73 said:

I guess you meant 'outside of the block'...

:wink:

But NEVER 'outside of the blockx'....!!

Yeah I don’t see how a train station would fit into the modular standard. The track couldn’t exit out of the front or sides, and so would need to extend out to the rear, and would need to be at least 48 studs deep to fit in a train and the pavement/station entrance in front of it.

Plus, one of the previous benefits of the modular buildings was that they look good on a shelf even without being integrated into a “city”, but a larger modular station would be much harder to display on a shelf and require a massive commitment of layout size (especially given the size needed to incorporate track curves).

There would be a few logistical challenges with a train station.  First, as others have mentioned, the placement of the track would be difficult if the building is integrated with other structures.  Also, it would be difficult to contain all of this within a 32x32 footprint.  You need space for the sidewalk, the interior with ticket offices, the waiting area, maybe a place to get refreshments, and finally the train platform.  I do think a train station could work if it was separate from other structures and presented as a standalone.  Then, everyone would feel free to integrate it into their "town" the way they see fit.  

Also, if it were to be a train station, would there be a separate Creator set that is actually a train itself?  I would not want to see the train and station in one set together as it would either have to be prohibitively expensive, or they would have to skimp on the station and/or train to keep the price down.  We dont need a missing wall like the BB or an interior which only a hobbit could access like the DO.  

2 hours ago, Brick Dangerous said:

Like others have said here, I'm not sure how exactly how that would work in a modular setting; but, if true, that means that one of those five Creator Expert D2Cs for next year has to be a complementary train! :distressed:

Given the older, 1940's/1950's American setting basis of the Expert modular line, I could plausibly see (at least hope) that such a complementary train set would be an American streamlined steam locomotive, something like this pictured below. :snicker: :excited:

29146593750_769f43b8b2_z.jpg

Why is everyone talking about a modular train station? It doesn't make any sense. If a train station will be realised, it would be a free-standing structure!

Assuming the recent information about set numbers and prices (and extrapolating likely set size), it looks like there are only a couple of options that might represent a station (not that I think it’s likely), two of which were in the £300, and one in the modular £140 price range.

I think it’s unlikely they would try to make a station at the £140 price point, or as discussed above, to try to fit it into the modular range, so I guess it’s a question of whether it would be one of the more expensive sets. 

At present the most frequent predictions for these two seem to be:

Fairground rollercoaster

City plan update/equivalent

Large architecture series building

Hogwarts Castle

Train station

Unspecified Castle/Ninjago set

33 minutes ago, DeanLearner said:

Assuming the recent information about set numbers and prices (and extrapolating likely set size), it looks like there are only a couple of options that might represent a station (not that I think it’s likely), two of which were in the £300, and one in the modular £140 price range.

I think it’s unlikely they would try to make a station at the £140 price point, or as discussed above, to try to fit it into the modular range, so I guess it’s a question of whether it would be one of the more expensive sets. 

At present the most frequent predictions for these two seem to be:

Fairground rollercoaster

City plan update/equivalent

Large architecture series building

Hogwarts Castle

Train station

Unspecified Castle/Ninjago set

Town Plan suppose to be in Lego City line not in Creator expert line... 

Perhaps we’re all getting wires crossed.  Maybe the larger non modular building is something like NYC Grand Central Station.  Although I personally think Washington DC’s station is more beautiful on the inside, this is a well renowned landmark building.  

It wouldn’t then be minifig scale, and hence the train wouldn’t have to be full sized. 

just a thought.