The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Just now, spig1992 said:

We will get a modular building next January. It will be released next month, because 10256 will be announced before it!

How do you know this ?

17 minutes ago, spig1992 said:

We will get a modular building next January. It will be released next month, because 10256 will be announced before it!

I'm not doubting your source, but those timings are pretty standard for recent releases of the modular sets.

8 minutes ago, badbob001 said:

I'm not doubting your source, but those timings are pretty standard for recent releases of the modular sets.

Normally, no D2C big set start selling at December.

Just now, spig1992 said:

Normally, no D2C big set start selling at December.

The release date of a modular building set has never been in December. It will be announced earlier, like in November, but it won't be released for a months or two after. The last four modular buildings were released in January, which is annoying since that is past the December promotions.

1 minute ago, badbob001 said:

The release date of a modular building set has never been in December. It will be announced earlier, like in November, but it won't be released for a months or two after. The last four modular buildings were released in January, which is annoying since that is past the December promotions.

I know, the released date of next modular building is November, not December.

2 hours ago, spig1992 said:

I know, the released date of next modular building is November, not December.

I'm confused...

Does 'release' = 'announced but can't buy'?
or
does 'release' = 'can buy'?

Or maybe you meant when the 'press release' is released, and not when the actual set is released for sale. In that case, then November is highly possible.

Anyway, I and history agrees with you that the next modular will be released on Jan 2018. It's the announcement date that is unclear.

• 10255 Assembly Square: announced Oct 17 2016, released for sale Jan 2017
  • 10251 Brick Bank: announced Oct 11 2015, released for sale Jan 2016
  • 10246 Detective's Office: announced Nov 21 2014, released for sale Jan 2015
  • 10243 Parisian Restaurant: announced Oct 4 2013, released for sale Jan 2014

I don't even understand why LEGO announce things months before it's available for sale. If they announce something before the holiday buying season but not have it available until after, then won't people decide to buy less over the holidays because they are saving their money for the upcoming set? They should announce it and have it available for VIP purchase right away and then public purchase two weeks later.

Edited by badbob001

2 hours ago, badbob001 said:

I don't even understand why LEGO announce things months before it's available for sale. If they announce something before the holiday buying season but not have it available until after, then won't people decide to buy less over the holidays because they are saving their money for the upcoming set? They should announce it and have it available for VIP purchase right away and then public purchase two weeks later.

They WANT people to postpone buying huge sets until after Christmas because January otherwise has horrible sales and this provides a boost. Besides, people are going to buy stuff for Christmas ANYWAY, so they end up with more money total.

4 hours ago, badbob001 said:

I'm confused...

Does 'release' = 'announced but can't buy'?
or
does 'release' = 'can buy'?

Or maybe you meant when the 'press release' is released, and not when the actual set is released for sale. In that case, then November is highly possible.

Anyway, I and history agrees with you that the next modular will be released on Jan 2018. It's the announcement date that is unclear.

• 10255 Assembly Square: announced Oct 17 2016, released for sale Jan 2017
  • 10251 Brick Bank: announced Oct 11 2015, released for sale Jan 2016
  • 10246 Detective's Office: announced Nov 21 2014, released for sale Jan 2015
  • 10243 Parisian Restaurant: announced Oct 4 2013, released for sale Jan 2014

release = announced but can't buy

The Modular Buildings much like the Star Wars UCS sets cater to a more adult collector market. One less impacted by Christmas. Leading into November Lego is at capacity to fulfill the retail demand for Christmas. Gotta keep Walmart, TRU etc stocked. The January D2C stuff is generally the next manufacture and distribution cycle after that. The hobbiests don't see as much if a Christmas spike in purchasing. They will buy year round. So January release for their targeted stuff is great for fluffing up Q1 numbers. Other products will see far more sales benefit from being readily available at Christmas. 

So with that said, what do we think we might see. The trickiest thing with the Modulars is what works well for their scale and setting? As much as we would love a hospital  it's tough to do anything post 1950's plague ward style in a modular's real estate. Here are my likely subjects.

- Post Office - we've talked about this one forever. A nice European style classic post office. Maybe with a delivery truck. Lots of architectural possibilities for greebling. 

- Police Station - a classic NYC type with the steps leading up, that we've seen depicted in every tv show since the 50's. A classic black and white 40-50's style police car to go with it. 

- Market or Hardware store - let's be frank, our downtown area rather lacks in retail draw currently. 

- Mechanics Garage - Old school barn door opening to the street. Apartment above. 

10 hours ago, Faefrost said:

- Post Office - we've talked about this one forever. A nice European style classic post office. Maybe with a delivery truck. Lots of architectural possibilities for greebling. 

- Police Station - a classic NYC type with the steps leading up, that we've seen depicted in every tv show since the 50's. A classic black and white 40-50's style police car to go with it. 

- Market or Hardware store - let's be frank, our downtown area rather lacks in retail draw currently. 

- Mechanics Garage - Old school barn door opening to the street. Apartment above. 

I’m not so keen on the post office idea, although since it’s been discussed for years on here and in other places, it’s quite likely at some point in the near future. Given the more recent modulars have been multi business ones, perhaps combo post office and mechanics or store.  I MOCed an extreme sports shop with post office on a corner with adventurers upstairs office and appartement and this seemed to fit the footprint of 32 x 32 quite well. Didnt finish it as I’m rubbish at roofing.

I’d like the garage idea but it might end up a bit like the city centre set, which is a bit unfulfilling. I think it would need to add a new storyline beyond the wedding, money laundering and the cookie smuggling ring too.

41 minutes ago, merman said:

So what is 10256 supposed to be?

That’s what we’d all like to know, along with the other creator expert sets, whose numbers have been shown.

Hmmmm...has there been a hotel, gym/pool/YMCA, library, craft/toy store, brewery, medical office building, outdoor/REI store, furniture/IKEA store, florist/greenhouse, spa/beauty salon, senior citizen/preschool,  climbing wall gym, music store selling real instruments and pianos, museum, car dealership yet? Looks like oodles of wonderful modular ideas will keep this line going forever. Hoorah!

Just now, Legogal said:

Hmmmm...has there been a hotel, gym/pool/YMCA, library, craft/toy store, brewery, medical office building, outdoor/REI store, furniture/IKEA store, florist/greenhouse, spa/beauty salon, senior citizen/preschool,  climbing wall gym, music store selling real instruments and pianos, museum, car dealership yet? Looks like oodles of wonderful modular ideas will keep this line going forever. Hoorah!

Hotel: CC

Brewery: unlikely in Lego

Florist: AS

Music store: AS

9 hours ago, Sammael said:

Maybe a new Creator Expert train? We're overdue.

Isn't the 10254 Winter Holiday Train considered a "Creator Expert train"? If so, we're not really "overdue" as it was released last year.

I though once more about this list and came to following result:

1st Creator Expert set = either a Town Plan style set (since there was one in 2008 although the City theme wasn't that popular than these days) or a large Creator model (famous building etc.)

2nd Creator Expert set = modular CC style building (since TLG sells one every year)

3rd Creator Expert set = Fairground set (since we get one every year) - I bet a rollercoaster

4th Creator Expert set = either a Ninjago set or a Castle set (since in the last time there has been a Castle or Ninjago Exclusive every three years (2009 Medieval Market Village - 2012 Kingdoms Joust - 2015 Temple of Airjitzu)

5th Creator Expert set = Winter Village set (since we get one every year)

10 hours ago, Sammael said:

Maybe a new Creator Expert train? We're overdue.

Since there'll be a whole new Trains theme in the City theme, I highly doubt that we'll get a Creator Expert train set the same year. Although I of course would like that very much.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

2 hours ago, TypoCorrecto said:

Isn't the 10254 Winter Holiday Train considered a "Creator Expert train"? If so, we're not really "overdue" as it was released last year.

No, it's a Winter Village set, not a highly realistic and detailed Creator Expert train like Emerald Night, Maersk, and Horizon Express.

Maersk came out in 2011, the same year as 3677 which is also a cargo train so we have some precedent. 

10 hours ago, Legogal said:

We did get a Barber in the Detective Office. One thing I caution when speculating, the Modular series seemingly tends to give off an early to mid 20th century vibe. A time period that Model Railroaders know as the Steam to Diesel Transition period. A time when Main Streets were still Main Streets. In the US and Canada this would roughly equate to 1930- the late 50's/early 60's. Yes the buildings are designed to work or span a broad fairly universal time period. But the seem to be pretty careful to not put too many modern touches into them. I don't think we will see many modern businesses featured in a set. Don't expect to see things like an Arcade (unless they partner with Disney to give us "Flynn's" which I would kill for) a Computer store or a Cell Phone store. A Gym would be more likely to be a classic Boxing Gym. 

Well it might sound like keep whining but while the rumor about Harry potter castle set is being floating around in the brickfan and other sites, we don't even hear nothing...literally nothing about 2018 modular set. Well I DO..DO hope that the reason we still hear nothing is because TLG has really surely tighten up the level of security but when some other sets' rumors are leaking and floating around, such a situation rather makes me...whether we will see 2018 modular or not...gosh some clues or rumors at least!!!! 

Edited by jaesroe

I agree that they won’t choose a subject far outside of the time period already established, and for that (and size reasons) I can’t see them ever doing a hospital. Probably not a 32x32 Lego Store either (though if they ever were to do a stand-alone 16x32 then that would seem a great fit), and personally I’d be a little disappointed to see a police stations (its easy enough to pick up police parts to MOC one).

My favourites would be maybe a combination (DS style) of a hardware store and some sort of clothing store/tailors with a classic shop front.