The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

On 22.9.2017 at 8:04 PM, paupadros said:

I do think it does proves something. Time and popularity can be extrapolated to one another. Probably both Jang and BrickBuilder had more subscribers on Jan 2017 than on Jan 2016. Yet, less response.

You might say: BB has been out for double the time, so Assembly Square should have double views. Well... No. There's something called "hype". Hype builds up and drops down when it has been released. Look, I don't have the facts and figures, but I bet most the views in all the videos and articles happened in 2-5 days. Later, the number dropped and dropped and dropped even further. So, is Assembly Square less popular? At least these numbers show so.

It could also be the case of Brick Bank devaluing the "brand" and making the hype for Assembly Square less big (I'm talking general audiences, not die-hard fans who search over on Reddit for leaks! I count myself in that group too :tongue:). Brick Bank was a step down from Detective's Office, so the follow-up sold less. 

Lastly, Assembly Square is more expensive, so Lego wouldn't need all those extra thousands of people to sell the set to, because the others that bought it paid more. Offer and demand, boys...

Let me do the math... Imagine 10% of the viewers bought the sets, that means:

Brick Bank: 75.000 + 170.000 + 27.900 = 272.900 people x $170 = $46'3 million

Assembly Square: 32.400 + 94.100 + 23.100 = 149.600 people x $280 = $41'8 million, quite close, in fact.

I'm probably just going around the issue way too much. I'll just stop now. Let's stay whether we like or dislike the sets.

Sorry for the late reply (I was on vacation):

I still think that you can't dismiss other factors when looking at the differences you point out. As I wrote in my other post, I think it's very important WHEN a video is posted - if it's posted close to street date, or if it's even one of the first, it naturally will get way more views than one that is posted some time after all the others. And this, at least, is something we can check:

Both modulars were officially released on January 1st.

JANG somehow managed to buy & review his Brick Bank way before, on December 22nd, more than a week before the official street date! I would assume it was the first or one of the first videos on Youtube.
His Assembly Square review, however, was posted on January 13th, almost two weeks after the official release.

BrickBuilders Brick Bank speed build was posted on January 6th, still relatively close to the release date. Their Assembly Square speed build was posted on February 25th, rather late to the party. Considering that, it still got a massive amount of views.

The designer videos were both posted around the official street date (Assembly Square was posted three days before, Brick Bank 4 days after). And still AS only has ~45.000 views less than Brick Bank, with a full year head start for Brick Bank.

On 1/10/2017 at 2:01 PM, RogerSmith said:

Sorry for the late reply (I was on vacation):

I still think that you can't dismiss other factors when looking at the differences you point out. As I wrote in my other post, I think it's very important WHEN a video is posted - if it's posted close to street date, or if it's even one of the first, it naturally will get way more views than one that is posted some time after all the others. And this, at least, is something we can check:

Both modulars were officially released on January 1st.

JANG somehow managed to buy & review his Brick Bank way before, on December 22nd, more than a week before the official street date! I would assume it was the first or one of the first videos on Youtube.
His Assembly Square review, however, was posted on January 13th, almost two weeks after the official release.

BrickBuilders Brick Bank speed build was posted on January 6th, still relatively close to the release date. Their Assembly Square speed build was posted on February 25th, rather late to the party. Considering that, it still got a massive amount of views.

The designer videos were both posted around the official street date (Assembly Square was posted three days before, Brick Bank 4 days after). And still AS only has ~45.000 views less than Brick Bank, with a full year head start for Brick Bank.

Okay, those are all very reasonable reasons that make my first reason crumble down, but they don't stop me from being *kind of* right in my second statement. It would gross about the same amount of money even with the higly reduced numbers, so everybody is about right on something.

3 hours ago, chrisb2012 said:

Anyone got any idea when we will find out what it is?

Nobody know for sure. We're all eagerly waiting. I honestly hoped there would have already been some news by now, but the official announcement should be in at least two weeks' time. That doesn't stop it from being weird there's no real plausible rumours yet.

1 hour ago, paupadros said:

Okay, those are all very reasonable reasons that make my first reason crumble down, but they don't stop me from being *kind of* right in my second statement. It would gross about the same amount of money even with the higly reduced numbers, so everybody is about right on something.

That's true :classic:

I'm also eagerly waiting for any morsel of information on the new modular...
Guess they tightened down their security even more, maybe due to that too well-known chinese knock-off brand copying many major sets really quickly... pure speculation, though.

damn...

am i the only one refreshing this page left and right hoping for some new info on the new modular?

wasnt it suppose to have at least leak something info by this point?

Not only has a possible name, function, identity not leaked for a new modular, there is not really anything right now even supporting the possible existence of a new one.  I wonder if this means that a January release is not likely, especially given that so many other big sets are being released now and in the near future.  Or possibly the Assembly Square is meant to be the "most current" modular for more than a period of one year since it is the big anniversary set.  Thus, a newer set would be further down the line.  

If it wasn't for the modular anniversary video I would start to fear there isn't comming a new modular. Or should I start worrying? 

Maybe they have to produce lots of Millennium Falcons and are delaying the modular by a month or two? (I hope not...)

Calm down one and all.  I’m sure that we’ll get a new modular soon.  We just have to assume that TLG has tightened up security.  I for one, and hoping for a delayed or even summer release, just to protect my battered pockets.

The fact this theme has hit 10 years should add some security that they will continue the theme. Under normal circumstances if they were ending a line, they might not mention it, but it would help move older product if they knew nothing else would ever come out again. I see no reason why they won't release something new. They likely have better security than in years past, or they will leak it when they feel the need. There is so much other buzz with other sets, there isn't a drought in information, so there is no reason to flood the market with more hot information.

Brickcon is this weekend in Seattle and given that BB was announced at Brickorea on 10/11 two years ago there's a chance for an announcement.

2 hours ago, jus1973 said:

Calm down one and all.  I’m sure that we’ll get a new modular soon.  We just have to assume that TLG has tightened up security.  I for one, and hoping for a delayed or even summer release, just to protect my battered pockets.

Exactly. Not liking the summer release hypothesis though...

4 hours ago, just_one said:

damn...

am i the only one refreshing this page left and right hoping for some new info on the new modular?

wasnt it suppose to have at least leak something info by this point?

No, you're not the only one. So when I entered Eurobricks for the 2nd/3rd time today and saw this topic atop of the page, I though: "Oh, there may be something actually!" Sadly not.

I for one would love them to shift the modular releases until, say, March to separate them from the glut of new stuff that inevitably gets released toward the end of the year. Aside from the fact that I am trying to catch up with the existing modulars (having started collecting these late) there are sooo many other high-priced sets released in the last few months that are vying for attention.

Looking back at the year, 7 D2C sets were released in the second half of 2017 (totalling $2040 US) versus 3 in the first half (totalling $680)... and there's still a chance another set could be released before year's end! It would be nice if these scale of sets were more evenly distributed throughout the year.... While of course a 2+ year lifecycle means you can delay purchases on the new stuff, each new set displaces something else (older modulars and big-ticket sets like the Classic Batcave, GB Firehouse, etc.) that suddenly has to be purchased before it's retired.

They can very well change the release date of the modulars for summer. That would explain the lack of news

I don't know why everyone is being paranoid about a lack of information.

This time last year the only things we had heard were rumours that all turned out to be nonsense (like "arcade" and "inverse corner").

2 hours ago, nikhkin said:

I don't know why everyone is being paranoid about a lack of information.

This time last year the only things we had heard were rumours that all turned out to be nonsense (like "arcade" and "inverse corner").

Assembly Square has an inverse corner...

I checked out the postings on this thread for this time last year.  By Oct 4, 2016, information had already leaked that there would be a new modular 10th anniversary set by the name of "Assembly Square".  Check out Legosjaaks' post on top of page 173 on this thread.  That is actually from Oct 1.  By the 4th, we were all debating the release date, which turned out to be January 1, even though the screenshot said 4/1/2017.  There was a set number and apparently the price in Danish currency.  We did not yet have a photo or any written description of its details.  

Disclaimer:  I am not suggesting, nor do I think anyone at this point is suggesting there is not going to be a new modular.  There are a few decent guesses about why we have not heard anything, including:

(1) Later release date, thus no news

(2) Lego has tightened down leaks so much that the the people who always knew something in the past really have no idea this time

(3) Whoever typically supplies us with the information such as name of set, function, or even simply the words "an announcement is coming soon"  is on vacation and surely will tell us all about it when they get back, even down to the exact number of seagulls that will appear with this building 

22 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

I checked out the postings on this thread for this time last year.  By Oct 4, 2016, information had already leaked that there would be a new modular 10th anniversary set by the name of "Assembly Square".  Check out Legosjaaks' post on top of page 173 on this thread.  That is actually from Oct 1.  By the 4th, we were all debating the release date, which turned out to be January 1, even though the screenshot said 4/1/2017.  There was a set number and apparently the price in Danish currency.  We did not yet have a photo or any written description of its details.  

Disclaimer:  I am not suggesting, nor do I think anyone at this point is suggesting there is not going to be a new modular.  There are a few decent guesses about why we have not heard anything, including:

(1) Later release date, thus no news

(2) Lego has tightened down leaks so much that the the people who always knew something in the past really have no idea this time

(3) Whoever typically supplies us with the information such as name of set, function, or even simply the words "an announcement is coming soon"  is on vacation and surely will tell us all about it when they get back, even down to the exact number of seagulls that will appear with this building 

I did not even remember posting that info last year....it wasn't fake after all.... for now...there is no info to be posted here! And yes, i'm sorry about that....

On 01/10/2016 at 8:02 AM, LegoSjaak said:

There is also a chance that the screenshot from 'some community' is fake. If i would take a few hours of time, i would also be able to come up with a screen like that which would tell us that there is a new modular every single month in 2017, just to celebrate... so, i'll keep that in mind.. . But i ofcourse hope that it is a real message!!

For those who missed out on the shot, here it is one more time! Let's hope for the best!!

29897355452_1854fd80e9_c.jpg

Here is what LegoSjaak said last year ;)

i do hope to see some clues or any kind of information about 2018 modular set very soon. isn't it supposed to be floating around by now? or as many people mentioned it seems that TLG has really tightened up the security level to avoid any leak! 

Here are the official announcement dates of the last Modulars:

- Assembly Square = october, 17

- Brick Bank = october, 11

- Detective's Office = november, 21

- Parisian Restaurant = october, 5

I think TLG tightened up the security level. We should have a nice surprise the coming weeks ;)

Edited by sebitsena

A new modular that includes a vehicle would be nice as we haven't gotten one since PC came out back in 2013. maybe if it is a Lego store it could be a small panel van. 

7 hours ago, 6A13TT99 said:

A new modular that includes a vehicle would be nice as we haven't gotten one since PC came out back in 2013. maybe if it is a Lego store it could be a small panel van. 

If it is as ugly and crappy as the "limo" in PC than i rather not have a vehicle. 

vehicle = extra pieces = higher price

Just now, SollX said:

If it is as ugly and crappy as the "limo" in PC than i rather not have a vehicle. 

vehicle = extra pieces = higher price

Or vehicle = less pieces for the actual build.