The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

1 hour ago, Eaglefan344 said:

New AFOL here. Just recently started purchasing again and obtained trains 60051 and 60052. Now looking to purchase the modular buildings. I ones I prefer are Brick Bank and Parisian Restaurant. However, it might make more sense to look at Palace Cinema since it is older and will likely be retired first. How long of a market life do these things usually have? When they retire sets, do they usually retire them on 12/31 or is it random? Any input is appreciated. Just looking for advice as far as purchase order.

Welcome to the club, here a collector who got the first 11 houses! :) If you're interested, here's a nice summary of the history of the Modulars - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Modular_Buildings

Its indeed more possible that the Palace Cinema will retire, but that can also still take some months...

In my experience the houses have a longer time span than previous modulars, now they usually run 3-4 years before retirement... (I dont know about the role of 12/31 in this)

Here a usefull website that indeed states the fact that the Palace Cinema will retire soon - http://retiringsets.com/lego-retiring-soon-2017/

Good luck with your decision, feel free to ask if you got more questions ;)

9 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Do these things ever go on sale? 

It's a 'shop@home' exclusive, aka a sales way that there won't be any party selling it besides Lego itself. Lego hardly does any kind of (worthy) sales on their website, and I never witnessed any sale on Exclusives as the Modulars... (except maybe Cyber Monday, but I'm not sure about that)

Just now, Doge said:

It's a 'shop@home' exclusive, aka a sales way that there won't be any party selling it besides Lego itself. Lego hardly does any kind of (worthy) sales on their website, and I never witnessed any sale on Exclusives as the Modulars... (except maybe Cyber Monday, but I'm not sure about that)

I have seen the modulars listed at Target, Toys R Us, Amazon etc. Just haven't seen any sale prices yet. Best bet might just be the Red Card discount or VIP points I suppose.

I have the Parisian Restaurant.  Which should I get to go with it: Assembly Square or Brick Bank + Detective Office?

Oldest first.

6 minutes ago, gundamz said:

I have the Parisian Restaurant.  Which should I get to go with it: Assembly Square or Brick Bank + Detective Office?

Oldest first.

Just now, Boettner Builds said:

Oldest first.

Budget only allows either/or, but not all three.  Got some major expeditures coming up.

25 minutes ago, gundamz said:

Assembly Square. The architectural style fits in better with the PR.

5 hours ago, gundamz said:

It all depends on a) are you intending to collect them all at some point or b) just collecting the ones you think look nice/can afford.

If it is a) then go for the oldest one that is available before it retires so that would be DO , if it is b) then AS would look great next to PR.

Just my opinion :)

On 5/1/2017 at 1:59 PM, Eaglefan344 said:

I have seen the modulars listed at Target, Toys R Us, Amazon etc. Just haven't seen any sale prices yet. Best bet might just be the Red Card discount or VIP points I suppose.

Amazon will have them on sale from time to time you just have to catch them at the right time.  

Probably we could get a LEGO Store modular (like the one on LEGO Ideas), a modular library, a modular school, a modular visitor center, or even a modular police station (because we got the Fire Brigade set that has a fire station).

Wasn't there a sort of "housing & retail, government, business" rotation for modulars? If such thing is true, then perhaps next modular would supposedly be government-related.

10 hours ago, kungfulegolover said:

Probably we could get a LEGO Store modular (like the one on LEGO Ideas), a modular library, a modular school, a modular visitor center, or even a modular police station (because we got the Fire Brigade set that has a fire station).

your wish is my command :)

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/173323

20 hours ago, kungfulegolover said:

It is quite surprising we haven't seen a police station yet, given LEGO City's rotation calls for one every few years. 

16 hours ago, Terrasher said:

Wasn't there a sort of "housing & retail, government, business" rotation for modulars? If such thing is true, then perhaps next modular would supposedly be government-related.

Our last one, if you don't include Assembly Square, was a business-Brick Bank- so next should be housing/retail on bottom. 

The pattern is business, house/retail bottom, gov't(although that got slightly skewed with Detective's Office being part barber shop).

Lego needs to have products that appeal to both boys/girls on their store shelves. With Pet shop retiring and Detective's Office and Brick Bank being just released, seems like we might get a school/library before a police station.

Edited by johnnythunder

On 5/16/2017 at 7:26 PM, kungfulegolover said:

I actually got impatient and built my own modular Police Station on the base of set 7744- 

Instructions here, if you'd like it for your town: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/132199294464?

Edited by Dakar A

Could the Ninjago City set influence the future line, or do you think that's more of a spin-off? I can't wait to see modifications of it that fit in the modular street!

I'm curious to see what we're getting next year! Last editions were all made up of multiple smaller buildings. Nice to have some like that, it adds some variation, especially in width, but I really hope the next modular goes back to one distinctive building. Does anyone expect a government building, a police station, a library, a museum or ...?

An extra corner building would be very nice to set up my street.

57 minutes ago, Wesley D said:

Could the Ninjago City set influence the future line, or do you think that's more of a spin-off? I can't wait to see modifications of it that fit in the modular street!

I'm curious to see what we're getting next year! Last editions were all made up of multiple smaller buildings. Nice to have some like that, it adds some variation, especially in width, but I really hope the next modular goes back to one distinctive building. Does anyone expect a government building, a police station, a library, a museum or ...?

I think the Ninjago City modular may be part of a separate Lego Cinematic Universe series of modulars, and apparently, @just2good stated recently that we should expect a new DC D2C next year, with some speculating this could potentially be a TLBM Gotham City modular. Compounding this speculation is a statement by set designer Marcos Bessa that he has D2C he designed releasing this December in a Brickheadz designer video. So perhaps we could see modulars done for 2019's TLM2 and The Billion Brick Race.

As far as the Creator line of modulars go, I hope to see half width 16 by 32 modulars done for a single year, similar to Amsterdam row houses. I asked about this on @Jim's Creator Expert questions thread that I've linked below, during which he interviewed Creator Expert designer Michael Psiaki. 

On 5/1/2017 at 1:40 PM, Eaglefan344 said:

Do these things ever go on sale? 

Not really, but Lego does Black Friday sales on everything.

15 hours ago, Wesley D said:

I hope there really is a spin off because the Ninjago City modular is amazing. As far as next years modular they will probably continue the trend of different shops in one modular. I would like to see them make one building. I still want them to make a modular with apartments where minifigures can live. The modular line is growing & there are hardly any living spaces. 

Not really about the modulars, but do you know why they skipped 10256? I mean...

10255 Assembly Square

10257 Carrousel

10258 London Bus

4 hours ago, paupadros said:

Not really about the modulars, but do you know why they skipped 10256? I mean...

10255 Assembly Square

10257 Carrousel

10258 London Bus

Maybe it is the new winter village set? But I'm hoping for another modular. 

27 minutes ago, Kjellevirus said:

Maybe it is the new winter village set? But I'm hoping for another modular. 

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything yet regarding the Winter Village exclusive yet, but I guess we didn't hear about the London Bus until nearly before the reveal.

After the tenth anniversary Assembly Square modular, it will be interesting to see where they go with the subtheme after that.