The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

1 hour ago, lightningtiger said:

Hmm, sounds like an idea for a contest on Eurobricks.......In have a 16 wide modular on Ideas which is my gap filler at the moment :wink:

Though I wonder now how they will top the AS later this year ?

What I did is I took the Haunted House and rebuilt it on a 16-wide plate. I cleaned it up a bit to look less haunted from the outside but it keeps its charms and dangers, should any unwitting minifigs wander in.

1 hour ago, Huaojozu said:

What I did is I took the Haunted House and rebuilt it on a 16-wide plate. I cleaned it up a bit to look less haunted from the outside but it keeps its charms and dangers, should any unwitting minifigs wander in.

I would LOVE to see this!!!

3 hours ago, Huaojozu said:

What I did is I took the Haunted House and rebuilt it on a 16-wide plate.

Did you post pictures of your Haunted House MOD anywhere? If so, I'd really like to see them.

I can definitely see LEGO repeating a 48 wide modular again, probably sooner than waiting for an anniversary. They could use another 48 wide modular to actually make some type of a hospital or clinic and use that extra 16 wide base for the ambulance to pull up and take patients to the hospital. It wouldn't be as big as the AS since the extra 16 would just be used as a entry/exit loading area for cars/ambulance with some kind of roof above it that connects to a 31 wide modular hospital or whatever other buildings they decide to go with it. Thats an easy way to get another 48 wide modular.

16 hours ago, lightningtiger said:

Hmm, sounds like an idea for a contest on Eurobricks......

Indeed, it would be nice, a 16-wide contest (there has been a "regular" 32-wide a few years ago)

Edited by antp

18 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

Did you post pictures of your Haunted House MOD anywhere? If so, I'd really like to see them.

Not yet. But I will take a picture or two, unfortunately I don't have a good camera (or lighting), but you should see the main things. And I am also waiting for a BLed shrub to finish the look (since the original one got broken).

2 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:

What's the possibility of them doing a modular with a basement? Kind of like the PS had the crawl space, but an actual basement.

How would that work with displaying next to the others?

11 minutes ago, gotoAndLego said:

How would that work with displaying next to the others?

Idk exactly, it can't be to hard since the PS had that crawl space and it looked fine next to the Pet Store. I guess it would really be a basement but a ground floor that is only accessed on the inside & not outside. The ground floor could be covered by stairs and a terrace just like the townhouse in the modular for the crawl space. If that makes any sense. 

I forgot about the Market Street. It looks a little bit taller than the crawl space in the PS. I think they can do a better job and actually have a taller ground floor than what we see in the MS and PS. 

Speaking of market street, I recently got it and found out that the "market" section looks amazing next to the Parisian Restaurant. I want to turn the roof of it into an extended seating/garden area. The balcony level of the Parisian restaurant matches almost perfectly. 

Also, the top level drives me nuts. in almost every instance, that balcony thing is pressed against a building. I want to rebuild it and make the balcony on the left overlooking the market, and the window on the back, leaving the right wall bare

Edited by Goldenmasamune

Market Street is somewhat underwhelming from my perspective. The size is impressive but the look is out of place alongside the others that typically use the 2x2 and 2x3 windows with transparent glass panels and not the old 4x4 square opening windows. It looks like an earlier Creator set from the front and lacks the intricacy of future sets, plus the central staircase makes it poor for furnishing.

Market street is such an odd thing. Like I think those tan pieces at the back of the buildings are meant to be windows? Why not just put windows there? I understand the central staircase though is so that you can not only do four floors in any order, but also turn each floor any way you wish. I also don't understand the weird side market thing. Like, what's the point of the giant gates if there is a big gaping walkway right next to them? I have trouble picturing exactly what it's supposed to be. 

6 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

Like I think those tan pieces at the back of the buildings are meant to be windows? Why not just put windows there?

Supposed to be blocked windows, I guess.

In Europe long time ago (1700s/1800s) they invented a tax for buildings, based on the number of windows. So sometimes useless windows were replaced by bricks.

cf https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_tax for more info

On 1/23/2017 at 2:10 AM, antp said:

Supposed to be blocked windows, I guess.

In Europe long time ago (1700s/1800s) they invented a tax for buildings, based on the number of windows. So sometimes useless windows were replaced by bricks.

cf https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_tax for more info

Huh, that's a pretty neat and interesting fact! 

I just signed up for this: 

did anybody notice that if the lego ideas "modular construction site" gets a real set, the 16-stud-gap problem would be solved. Any chances that this really happens? It's still in review and i cant wait anymore to know more about...

Edited by Kohlenstoff

On 2/14/2017 at 8:27 PM, Kohlenstoff said:

I just signed up for this: 

did anybody notice that if the lego ideas "modular construction site" gets a real set, the 16-stud-gap problem would be solved. Any chances that this really happens? It's still in review and i cant wait anymore to know more about...

I know a bunch of us are hoping it gets made as the creator is a member on Eurobricks. It's a great looking set for sure.

On 15.2.2017 at 2:27 AM, Kohlenstoff said:

Do you have a link to that project? I searched Ideas for " modular construction site" but didn't get appropriate results. :look:

Lego just uploaded a video about the modular series.  It looks like a solid future for now.  Also, there are some details about the evolution of modulars.  

Having just watched Jamie B's video, I have to say I could have watched him talk about the history for an hour!  felt there was so much more he could have told us all.  Really looks like these buildings are here to stay.  I need more room in my house!

"knowing that there is always something to look forward to...."  That makes me pretty much feel good about continuation of the series!!!  Actually i'm really happy!!!

11 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Lego just uploaded a video about the modular series.  It looks like a solid future for now.  Also, there are some details about the evolution of modulars.  

Thanks for sharing!!! This is pretty important news, i think!!