The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Do you think either Brick Bank or Detective's Office are worth it? Whatever it is coming in January, I want something fresh and new, that hasn't been touched on in a long time. I'd love to see a new department store, like the old Gimbles in Philly.

a48c314c61332d74759f02688c4241bd.jpg

Or the Hotel Monte Vista in Flagstaff.

89377137.jpg

How would you guys feel about buildings like this? I love the mid-century architecture, with brick and wrought iron.

a new department store is really impossible, there is already Grand Emporium but maybe a boutique instead?

i really want to have an hotel, i know that cafe corner has that "hotel" sign but its such a waste, they should release one.

Definitely not a department store, due to the GE.

I'm almost as sure it wouldn't be a hotel because of CC. It may be empty on the inside, but it is a hotel.

Considering how limited the releases are, Lego wouldn't waste a year on a repeated building type. It's not like City where we can have a new police station every year.

On October 12, 2016 at 7:18 AM, Wesley D said:

modular eally are awaiting "Assembly Square", I wonder what the name means.

Will it be a government building or square where meetings can be held? Or could it be a factory with an assembly line? Or a Lego store where children and AFOLs can assemble their creations? ...

Maybe "Assembly Square" means even more : Could it be different modules that can be combined in different ways, finishing in several possible buildings? That way we could be tempted to buy multiple copies, to create all possible buildings. It could also explain why "Assembly Square" is described as "the ultimate Modular Building" in the leaked (or faked?) foto.

While it seems unlikely, I'd love to get a modular LEGO store. 

That's not a bad idea. It being something that brings the Modulars together...assemble. For the rumored price though...it would have to be a serious gathering place. 

The problem with "a way to bring all the modular buildings together" is that it could be of very limited appeal. If people don't display their modulars in the exact way that the "assembly square" intends, it'll be useless. Most people either have their own custom city layout, or display them on shelves. In both cases a central plaza, as has been suggested, would not work out without customisation. 

For my money, I think we're going to get some kind of courthouse with civic square in front of it. The courtroom would fit in well with the 'story' from the last few modulars, this would see the criminals who stole the cookies and did the money laundering would get their just deserts.

Just now, Mark Kay said:

For my money, I think we're going to get some kind of courthouse with civic square in front of it. The courtroom would fit in well with the 'story' from the last few modulars, this would see the criminals who stole the cookies and did the money laundering would get their just deserts.

This would be interesting. The modular could sit at the back of the plate to allow for the square in front.

I would just hope it isn't too much like the Town Hall set, because the image that comes to mind for me as a stereotypical courthouse is the one from Back to the Future. In Europe they are either much more majestic, to the extent it wouldn't fit in with the street we have, or very generic buildings, so I would imagine a US style is more likely. 

11 hours ago, Lego Dino 500 said:

Do you think either Brick Bank or Detective's Office are worth it?

Yes. I enjoyed them both.

Steve

2 hours ago, sebitsena said:

Did someone ever suggest 2 corner units with a public square between them?

Now this is a clever idea, especially if they are inverted corners with a building in between (ie. courthouse).  Maybe not with a green space in the middle, but rather a roundabout.  Something like a baseplate with a printed Street that circles around a fountain.  Just as well a park would be nice too.

This was posted by someone on the Lego topic on NeoGaf. Sounds promising!

Originally Posted by Winnie the Pimp

Yeah about that... i actually have a little "update" concerning this issue. 

I JUST got back from the Lego store and... i had a little chat with the manager and he told me that he actually SAW the modular square in person and it was glorious according to him!! When i then asked him that precise question (about whether it was gonna fit into a line or square setup etc.) he went on about how it could be both or more... as though it will be TRULY modular in concept, he also compared it to Pet Shop in the sense that you can separate the halves and integrate or interchange them however you like so that sounds kinda exciting!! He also talked about it more in the sense of a "house" and less of a park or actual square so not sure what to make of that. I could tell he obviously wouldn't/couldn't go into more detail without spoiling it all so make of that what you will ;)

Anyway, color me hyped for the thing :)))

30 minutes ago, nikhkin said:

Very interesting. I wonder if it works kind of like the Minecraft Fortress.

Even with less units/possibilities, it would be great to make a building higher than the other, a skycraper, or a line/square of houses, switch floors and roofs...

33 minutes ago, BlockLogo said:

(...) I JUST got back from the Lego store and... i had a little chat with the manager and he told me that he actually SAW the modular square in person and it was glorious according to him!! When i then asked him that precise question (about whether it was gonna fit into a line or square setup etc.) he went on about how it could be both or more... as though it will be TRULY modular in concept, he also compared it to Pet Shop in the sense that you can separate the halves and integrate or interchange them however you like so that sounds kinda exciting!! (...)

Thanks for the news!

28 minutes ago, CM4Sci said:

Sooo.. you can take the halves apart and rearrange them?

According to the guy who told the guy who wrote down something I read, yeah! Rock solid info!

33 minutes ago, BlockLogo said:

According to the guy who told the guy who wrote down something I read, yeah! Rock solid info!

You mean only buildings can be switched or floors are also exchangeable?

Concept Sketch: 10255 - Assembly Square

The next Modular Building '10255 - Assembly Square' will be celebrating the 10th anniversary of the LEGO Creator, Modular Buildings.

With this sketch I wanted to explore and get my ideas forward on what I'd like to be featured and included before the press release which is rumoured for November 2016. I personally feel a LEGO Store in this product is essential to this concept, additionally this concept features an apartment building and a government building with a couple of trees and benches for the exterior. All of these features will be in the centre of four 32x32 Baseplates, the building would be half the sizes of regular modular building much like 10218 - Pet Shop with various heights. Maybe one of the buildings could feature a brick built sign much like 10182 - Cafe Corner.

30256214061_037acc4bab_z.jpgConcept Sketch: 10255 - Assembly Square by Adeel Zubair, on Flickr

I'm not really sure a Lego store will fit in.  Isn't the modular series suppose to be a town represented by Lego?  We have cafe, cinema, grocer etc. What would they do with a Lego store, and how easily could you represent Lego pieces. 

Just my opinion.

19 minutes ago, mattyman said:

I'm not really sure a Lego store will fit in.  Isn't the modular series suppose to be a town represented by Lego?  We have cafe, cinema, grocer etc. What would they do with a Lego store, and how easily could you represent Lego pieces. 

Just my opinion.

My issue isn't that the figs wouldn't use Lego, but more that the Modular buildings are supposed to be set in the early 20th century, which a Lego store doesn't fit in with.

From Neogaf LEGO Threat :

I JUST got back from the Lego store and... i had a little chat with the manager and he told me that he actually SAW the modular square in person and it was glorious according to him!! When i then asked him that precise question (about whether it was gonna fit into a line or square setup etc.) he went on about how it could be both or more... as though it will be TRULY modular in concept, he also compared it to Pet Shop in the sense that you can separate the halves and integrate or interchange them however you like so that sounds kinda exciting!! He also talked about it more in the sense of a "house" and less of a park or actual square so not sure what to make of that. I could tell he obviously wouldn't/couldn't go into more detail without spoiling it all so make of that what you will ;)

Edited by just_one

On 10/14/2016 at 7:01 PM, Lego Dino 500 said:

Or the Hotel Monte Vista in Flagstaff.

How would you guys feel about buildings like this? I love the mid-century architecture, with brick and wrought iron.

I love the Hotel. Would be cool to see another incorporated into the modular series.

13 hours ago, BlockLogo said:

Wow. That really got my hyped up. If the modular is able to split into halves that would be so cool.

13 hours ago, BlockLogo said:

13 hours ago, sebitsena said:

Even with less units/possibilities, it would be great to make a building higher than the other, a skycraper, or a line/square of houses, switch floors and roofs...

Thanks for the news!

6 hours ago, just_one said:

From Neogaf LEGO Threat :

44 minutes ago, BrickFit26 said:

Wow. That really got my hyped up. If the modular is able to split into halves that would be so cool.

GAF referencing Eurobricks, not Eurobricks referencing GAF. Like one big happy family.
I don't come here that often, as most of my time is on GAF, but it is nice seeing the crossover. Thanks for that!

People, please go easy on the quote button please. It's not making the topic easier to read.

25 minutes ago, Rick said:

People, please go easy on the quote button please. It's not making the topic easier to read.

Gosh, I just thought 2017 modular image was revealed when I saw the newest post was added by Rick.:wink:

Several speculation, including the above quote and just2good's youtube video about 2017 modular that it will be 'the biggest modular yet' and 'glorious' escalating my level of expectation. Please be good!  just be good and awesome! can't wait!

Edited by jaesroe

Assembly Square Compressed 2-min.jpg

To me, Assembly Square looks like this: 5 or 6 buildings, one of them being a restaurant, using part of the plaza for a terrace, and the other one maybe a museum. Fountain in the middle, porch in every building, lots of planters and flower boxes.

It should all hopefully fit in 2 32x32, making it 64x32 (see right pic). Buildings are very skinny so they don't use that many pieces.

*Sorry for terrible drawing and quality of pictures, my scanner is pretty rubbish...*

Edited by paupadros