The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I don't know if the Old Fishing Store is going to be big enough to qualify as a modular, and from the looks of it it doesn't have a modular design anyways. I'm thinking that it will go for about 70-80 bucks. 

Still no news on Assembly Square? I'm very skeptical at this point.

Edited by BrickJagger

46 minutes ago, BrickJagger said:

I don't know if the Old Fishing Store is going to be big enough to qualify as a modular, and from the looks of it it doesn't have a modular design anyways. I'm thinking that it will go for about 70-80 bucks. 

Still no news on Assembly Square? I'm very skeptical at this point.

The old fishing store fan model originally has over 2000 pieces and unless it is made smaller by the lego group themselves, I think this means it has enough pieces to qualify for a modular building and will cost a lot more than you assume.

Having said that, I don't realy know what you mean by it not having a modular design. 

Besides the fact that the assembly square is set to come out in the first few months of 2017, we don't have any more news for it. Just2good has made a video reporting the assembly square, so we have a reliable source for backup. He says it will be the largest modular yet.

3 minutes ago, The lego fan said:

The old fishing store fan model originally has over 2000 pieces and unless it is made smaller by the lego group themselves, I think this means it has enough pieces to qualify for a modular building and will cost a lot more than you assume.

Having said that, I don't realy know what you mean by it not having a modular design. 

Besides the fact that the assembly square is set to come out in the first few months of 2017, we don't have any more news for it. Just2good has made a video reporting the assembly square, so we have a reliable source for backup. He says it will be the largest modular yet.

It's not a "modular design" because it doesn't conform the designs of the modular buildings. It does not, be default, slot into the street currently created by the existing modular buildings.

Isn't Just2good basing that off the same "leaked" image as the rest of us? I rarely see him come out with fresh information. He seems to just report on the news and leaks that are posted around the internet, and helps them become more widely known about.

2 hours ago, nikhkin said:

Isn't Just2good basing that off the same "leaked" image as the rest of us? I rarely see him come out with fresh information. He seems to just report on the news and leaks that are posted around the internet, and helps them become more widely known about.

Yup. He retired from leaking stuff (For good reasons) a year ago and since then his channel has turned into a review/haul thing, which I'm fine with. He still has his sources so he can fact-check people if he feels but don't expect him to be 100% right anymore.

3 hours ago, nikhkin said:

It's not a "modular design" because it doesn't conform the designs of the modular buildings. It does not, be default, slot into the street currently created by the existing modular buildings.

Right, I get why people say its nice to get two modulars because its a similarly detailed building that fits on a baseplate, but it is in no way an official modular. Even if it was modified to fit as a corner modular it would look really out of place. 

I always thought they were called modular buildings because they employed a modular design approach that subdivides a system into smaller parts called modules.  You would build them in separate modules for each floor and then fit them together to form the complete building

Edited by Big G

On 08/10/2016 at 11:01 PM, Only Sinner said:

Ah, so you admit the American way is what you see, too?

How is that the American way? I see both, and just select the more logical one based on surrounding information i.e. price and currency.

6 hours ago, Big G said:

I always thought they were called modular buildings because they employed a modular design approach that subdivides a system into smaller parts called modules.  You would build them in separate modules for each floor and then fit them together to form the complete building

That's where the original name came from, and they were also modular in the sense that they could be combined into a larger street. However the Fishing Store is neither of those. It is one large building (the back comes off) and it doesn't connect.

10 hours ago, nikhkin said:

Oh I see now and agree with you it wouldn't work with the modular buildings.

Thanks for the reply?

I am guessing there are several who will MOD it to fit into the street.  Some will buy 2 just so they can have one stand alone and one to MOD.  It's all good, it still means two large buildings was basically my point.  I am guessing that TLG will MOD the original design to be more modular in the build, but do not think they will MOD it to fit into the street with the black pegs to attach.  It will be a stand alone similar to HH. 

However, I am not sure why there is even a discussion about that part, the key to me is just to be excited that there are going to be 2 large buildings to build in 2017 and spaced enough apart my budget will handle it.  I am expecting a $300 price, might be more, on Assembly and the normal $150 price on Fishing.  Call them Modular or don't, to me that is the best news for all of us who have wanted 2 in a year.

A modular design means some built elements can be removed or switched. In the last Creator wave, the Lighthouse Point is a modular set (watch Jangbricks review on Youtube).

Our modular buildings have specific features for building a street and raised buildings themselves. So even if the Old Fishing Store will not fit into the modulars street, its design can be modular ;)

While we are on the topic of modifying modular buildings, is there any way to alter 10251 Brick Bank so the laundromat building isn't there?
I can't figure out how to make the bank a uniform, white façade with some more space on the interior

3 hours ago, TheBeefThief said:

While we are on the topic of modifying modular buildings, is there any way to alter 10251 Brick Bank so the laundromat building isn't there?
I can't figure out how to make the bank a uniform, white façade with some more space on the interior

Trial and error, and you might need to get a second (partial) brick bank for extra parts.

Just to say Brick Bank was officially announced at this time last year. Come on Lego, show us the new Assembly Square!

4 hours ago, sebitsena said:

Just to say Brick Bank was officially announced at this time last year. Come on Lego, show us the new Assembly Square!

On the other hand, the longer we wait before TLG shows us the new Assembly Square, the shorter is the period to purchase one, after we know what it looks like...:wink:

If it is going to be the "Assambly Square" it probably means that that screenshot that gave us that information was not fake.
In that case.... we know we have to wait until November.

So we can stop speculating, unless someone knows more about it. :

We can discuss that it says 10th Anniversary Modular, so then CC, GG, TH, FB, PS, PR, PC, BB, DO are the true modular items according to TLG and Market Street is NOT considered one in the street...interesting, but makes sense as it was really the first fan Ideas construct.  Not sure I will ever get the CC due to price, but happy the rest of them sit on my street.  Or there is always speculation on 2018 and beyond...lots of things to fill in before November.

18 minutes ago, Herky said:

We can discuss that it says 10th Anniversary Modular, so then CC, GG, TH, FB, PS, PR, PC, BB, DO are the true modular items according to TLG and Market Street is NOT considered one in the street...interesting, but makes sense as it was really the first fan Ideas construct.  Not sure I will ever get the CC due to price, but happy the rest of them sit on my street.  Or there is always speculation on 2018 and beyond...lots of things to fill in before November.

I don't know about others, but I see it this way: 10th Anniversary = 10 years since CC (2007)... so it has nothing to do with the number of sets.

Edited by temes

22 minutes ago, Herky said:

Regarding Market Street, also consider this evidence:10230_front_001.jpg

Also, Market Street is shown alongside the Green Grocer and Cafe Corner in the Green Grocer instructions.
002.jpg

In any case, I don't think the 10th Anniversary "announcement" proves or disproves your theory. Cafe Corner, the first modular, came out in 2007. The 10th Anniversary set will come out in 2017, 10 years later. Nothing yet about it being the 10th modular. If that set is real, it'll probably have some history info in the booklet and we'll then see if Market Street is mentioned.

Edited by badbob001

What does everyone think about Pet Shop being absent from the latest Lego catalogue? Is it a sign of it's impending retirement? It does seem interesting to me. I already have mine, so I'm not worried about it being retired. As a matter of fact I welcome it.

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

If we really are awaiting "Assembly Square", I wonder what the name means.

Will it be a government building or square where meetings can be held? Or could it be a factory with an assembly line? Or a Lego store where children and AFOLs can assemble their creations? ...

Maybe "Assembly Square" means even more : Could it be different modules that can be combined in different ways, finishing in several possible buildings? That way we could be tempted to buy multiple copies, to create all possible buildings. It could also explain why "Assembly Square" is described as "the ultimate Modular Building" in the leaked (or faked?) foto.

That'd actually be pretty cool, like a mall where you could build each section, one store, and you can place them however you like, like a Friends set. 

28 minutes ago, CM4Sci said:

That'd actually be pretty cool, like a mall where you could build each section, one store, and you can place them however you like, like a Friends set. 

Yes! But we have the Grand Emporium as a mall building. Maybe something else with both little shops and appartments we can mix (like the Pet Shop)?

1 hour ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

What does everyone think about Pet Shop being absent from the latest Lego catalogue? Is it a sign of it's impending retirement? It does seem interesting to me. I already have mine, so I'm not worried about it being retired. As a matter of fact I welcome it.

I've mentioned it a couple of times.  It looks like the Pet Shop is in fact retiring.  It was listed as retiring soon on the Korean (iirc) S@H, along with the Sydney Opera House.

If the Pet Shop is retired soon, the Assembly Square could be probably a commercial first floor with lofts on the second and third floors and a nice green park.

As CM4sci said, maybe part of the park can be placed over the building to make a nice terrasse, appartments be switched or  units be stacked to achieve a commercial building and a house side by side!

That's what "Ultimate Modular" means to me ;)