The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

This wait is killing me. Are we positive that it's going to be a new modular next year? This lack of rumours is (at least) a bit strange.

Don't worry, lack of news doesn't mean a cancellation or delay, just means they're being even more tight-lipped than usual.

I haven't built Lego bricks since I was a kid, and now at 35 I'm thinking about beginning to collect the modular sets. However, I'd like to ask something from you who have more experience about them.

1. Does Lego give any warning before they discontinue a set? Or do they just suddenly remove it from their online store?

2. Currently there are 4 sets available, is there any pattern when one of them will be discontinued, maybe when they release a new one next year?

3. I'd love to buy the parisian restaurant as my first modular set, but because it's quite new and won't be discontinued anytime soon, I don't know if I should buy Pet Shop or Palace Cinema first, because those are the oldest ones. Any ideas? I might be able to buy two sets a year, but I'm not going to pay the insane eBay prices.

4. This is not related to the modular sets, but is there any specific timeframe or pattern when double vip points happens?

... it's quite difficult to begin collecting these this late, when there are so many sets which are already very rare and expensive. I guess I have to accept that I'm not going to get them all. By the way, do you buy every modular set or just the ones that you really like?

Edited by temes

1.Rarely. Sometimes, you see a "Retiring Soon" label on the S&H site, however most of the time, when it is gone, it is gone.

2. There is not always a set pattern. Town Hall sold out before Pet Shop, even though PS is the older of the two.

3. My advice: get the Pet Shop now. I suspect it could be gone by the end of the year, maybe sooner than later.

4. They tend to happen sometime around March, October, and around Black Friday. Length of the promotion varies. In October, it is only for four days in the US>

You have to buy all of them once you get into it. It is required. You have to come up with the money and buy all of them that have been retired...

OR you can just buy the sets you like.

You have to buy all of them once you get into it. It is required. You have to come up with the money and buy all of them that have been retired...

OR you can just buy the sets you like.

Or you can just make your own modular buildings or convert the city theme buildings into modulars. Buying the older modulars can be very costly.

They're obviously not discontinued in chronological order. The town hall was discontinued because they stopped producing a lot of the dark orange elements, wasn't it? The pet shop is sticking around this long because it uses common pieces and colors, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Edited by BlockLogo

I would vote to buy the Pet Shop as well, although I image it sells better than the Palace Cinema so maybe it will stay in production longer, no way to know for sure.

They're obviously not discontinued in chronological order. The town hall was discontinued because they stopped producing a lot of the dark orange elements, wasn't it? The town hall is sticking around this long because it uses common pieces and colors, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I think they retired set if there are little demand, this is why set like camper van is still in production same as with death star.

^I meant the pet shop is sticking around. I do remember reading the town hall was discontinued because they stopped making a lot of the dark orange bricks, not because of lack of popularity.

Actually I'm afraid to begin collecting them, because who knows what may happen? Maybe my dream of caribbean vacation will vanish, because I have to buy the Green Grocer.

Actually I'm afraid to begin collecting them, because who knows what may happen? Maybe my dream of caribbean vacation will vanish, because I have to buy the Green Grocer.

If so, you could Always sell Green Grocer a year later with profit and than go TWO weeks to the caribbean...haha..

This is real. My kids are going to have to take out loans to pay for college because I wanted the Taj Mahal.

Just kidding... Who can afford kids!

This is real. My kids are going to have to take out loans to pay for college because I wanted the Taj Mahal.

Just kidding... Who can afford kids!

Why buy a real house when you can afford the Taj Mahal instead? LEGO forever!

It's hard to say just how much I'm actually "saving" by bricklinking the first 3 modulars I missed out on (CC,GG, and MS) before the obsession hit. Mainly because I'd rather not calculate it, it would be depressing. But I've had lots of *fun* building the sets a little at a time. Even if you still end up shelling out 300ish and have to make a few modifications for some of the more insanely rare pieces ($30 door piece!? I think not!) it's not in one big chunk so it feels less painful financially. Kinda like financing it...haha.

Edited by daniel9x

I haven't built Lego bricks since I was a kid, and now at 35 I'm thinking about beginning to collect the modular sets. However, I'd like to ask something from you who have more experience about them.

1. Does Lego give any warning before they discontinue a set? Or do they just suddenly remove it from their online store?

2. Currently there are 4 sets available, is there any pattern when one of them will be discontinued, maybe when they release a new one next year?

3. I'd love to buy the parisian restaurant as my first modular set, but because it's quite new and won't be discontinued anytime soon, I don't know if I should buy Pet Shop or Palace Cinema first, because those are the oldest ones. Any ideas? I might be able to buy two sets a year, but I'm not going to pay the insane eBay prices.

4. This is not related to the modular sets, but is there any specific timeframe or pattern when double vip points happens?

... it's quite difficult to begin collecting these this late, when there are so many sets which are already very rare and expensive. I guess I have to accept that I'm not going to get them all. By the way, do you buy every modular set or just the ones that you really like?

We will get new modular next spring. Most likely not only Pet Shop but also Palace cinema will be discontinued then. There is unoficial rule that no more than 3 modulars can be on sale at same time. We are having four just because Pet Shop was slow seller and there is still stock.

So new Modular comes out in April?

I see you're an Ambassador, but can we get a little more evidence? :tongue:

We will get new modular on april 1st, 2016 (probably march 15th for VIP). Most likely not only Pet Shop but also Palace cinema will be discontinued then. There is unoficial rule that no more than 3 modulars can be on sale at same time. We are having four just because Pet Shop was slow seller and there is still stock.

That would leave me with sufficient time to get the Parisian Restaurant and the Detectives office without breaking the bank. Excellent!

I was lucky, as only Market Street was out of print when I started collecting, and I was able to get a new copy on eBay (from Singapore) for $350.

We will get new modular next spring. Most likely not only Pet Shop but also Palace cinema will be discontinued then. There is unoficial rule that no more than 3 modulars can be on sale at same time. We are having four just because Pet Shop was slow seller and there is still stock.

Pet Shop is a slow seller? It seems like its many people's favorite modular... and one of the few I bought more than one of. I'm shocked at that news. If I had to guess I would have thought it was the most popular modular. Mind blown!

Edited by BirdOPrey5

Pet Shop is a slow seller? It seems like its many people's favorite modular... and one of the few I bought more than one of. I'm shocked at that news. If I had to guess I would have thought it was the most popular modular. Mind blown!

I believe that what he ment is that this last production run of the Pet Shop sold less quickly than the previous runs. Town Hall now that one seemed to be a real slow seller since it appears to have gotten less production runs.

Dan-147

I live in smallville USA. We have a 'modular" main street and another "modular" avenue. The buildings still missing are

A. Florest /arts craft

B. Barbers shop/beauty salon

C. Hardware store

D. Bank. (Why have they not made a bank yet)

E. Library

632886D5-9FE5-4E41-808F-ECED663BB03C_zpsdeq1p9hc.jpg

Edited by lanesteele240

We are having four just because Pet Shop was slow seller and there is still stock.

Uhm, no, we still have PS because it sold very well and got additional production runs.