The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

So if the arcade is definitely off the table, then what is the next big speculation? I missed the initial Toy Shop so will get this one, for those to who have it, likely disappointing news.

But if they rehash the toy shop, why not redo Market Street? or Café Corner?

All of the retired modulars use colors or elements that are no longer in production. There's just no way that those are going to come back. The winter toy shop though is as close to an identical re-issue as we've seen, so there is a precedent now for retired sets like that.

There's just too much new subject matter for buildings to go back and rerelease one or make one that's a slightly modified version of the original. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing rereleases or revisions of earlier buildings, but I just don't see it happening. With all due respect to the designer of MS, TLG designers could certainly do something to that one that would make it more popular with collectors.

I think they could really improve the Café Corner though, they could give it the much need interior it needs which could give the modular city a proper hotel.

I build my own interiors when I want one. If I want one and don't want to build it, I search 'Lego furniture' on eBay. Lots of potential there AND good ideas on which to base your own interior MOC.

Exactly. Or you can add other sets to modular's interior, like the small seasonal 8 by 8s or the Big Bang Theory. In the latter case, you're left with a nice amount of useful bricks if you use the furniture as interior for one of the modulars.

Exactly. Or you can add other sets to modular's interior, like the small seasonal 8 by 8s or the Big Bang Theory. In the latter case, you're left with a nice amount of useful bricks if you use the furniture as interior for one of the modulars.

Yep, right you are. That's why I bought an extra Big Bang Theory.

There are some rumors circulating in my LUG that Lego are planning to reissue both Cafe Corner and Green Grocer in the near future, most probably with slight / few improvements. However, please take this with a grain of salt, since it's just a rumor. I personally am quite skeptical about it, but now since the Winter Toy Shop was re-issued, I started to think that it might happen.

There are some rumors circulating in my LUG that Lego are planning to reissue both Cafe Corner and Green Grocer in the near future, most probably with slight / few improvements. However, please take this with a grain of salt, since it's just a rumor. I personally am quite skeptical about it, but now since the Winter Toy Shop was re-issued, I started to think that it might happen.

It would be interesting to see the impact on the resellers. I, for one, would not buy the old, high priced reseller sets if the new one served basically the same function in my modular town plan. A little late for me, though, since I've already bought the first three from resellers.

I dont think they would do that, since it will kill all the collectors value of modular buildings. I would certainly buy 2x of each but at the same time as owner of GG and in process of Bricklinking Market Street would hate that.

Also it means that we have to wait one (or 2 in case they do both) more year for the next modular.

I dont think they would do that, since it will kill all the collectors value of modular buildings.

I don't think it'll happen, but not because of this. I don't see how aftermarket/collector's value would have any impact on their decision.

I don't think it'll happen, but not because of this. I don't see how aftermarket/collector's value would have any impact on their decision.

Right. They just want a higher number of "future" collectors" and re-releases could actually drive more purchases/increase the number of collectiors. My wife and I just started collecting modulars. We have PR, PC, and PS. We're considering another one or two but if they were to re-release GG and CC? We'd feel pretty committed to getting as much as reasonably possible and would buy the DO (and future ones despite how mediocre we think the building is) after all.

I would love to see GG come back. Sure, resellers and Bricklink shops specializing in sand green would hate it, but it would allow people who missed it the first time around to own one at a reasonable price. If they were willing to make a rehashed Toy Shop the annual WV release, then why not do it with a modular. Of course, the down side is that there would be nothing new for at least another year for those who do have it. Maybe if they released a new one AND a new one? Over the course of a year, we lost GE, TH, and probably very soon, PS. So maybe there could be some room. It seems like CC is a bit dated, and would benefit from a few changes. GG, on the other hand, would need very little in the way of change.

I am kind of glad the arcade rumor is suspect as I was not looking forward to yet another overdone interior and possibly with a bunch of stickers.

If, and that's a big if, CC were to be re-issued, I think there would enough changes that the original would retain a highly collectible status.

And if they did re-release MS, GG and CC, they do not necessarily have to be in the same colors, just work with what they have, make the tweaks, make it nice. I would be for that, improve...remember, Lego doesn't make a dime on the collector/reseller/ebay/bricklink markets, they don't care that your old set from ages ago is worth $1000, they care what they sell now to add to their bottom line.

I still would like the museum, it wasn't a corner, which I would like too, but that would be great. Let the rumpus speculation begin.

I remember seeing the cafe corner when it first came out on lego.com and I wish I had got it but couldn't afford it as it was NZ$300. But now that I'm working I would jump at the chance to buy one if an updated version was released.

Ive thought about bricklinking it for a while, but gets way to expensive when shipping costs get added, New Zealand is on the other side of the world to where most parts are.

Whatever the next modular is, I'm looking forward to it (hopefully they don't break pattern and it's still a corner)

Edited by Brandysnaps92

If, and that's a big if, CC were to be re-issued, I think there would enough changes that the original would retain a highly collectible status.

Probably, but if you just wanted a complete city, there would be an easier, cheaper way to do it. OCD people like me who started collecting late might still want the originals, but a significant portion of the reseller market might go away with a less costly alternative.

Btw, I've always wondered why TLG didn't offer a pick a brick option for retired sets. Sure, it might not be practical for all of them, but I can build a pretty decent version of the GG using just PAB parts....provided they have some 1 x 1 windows. They could list all parts and suggest substitutions and you could order them all in one fell swoop. Instructions are available on line and who needs the box, eh?

I know there are some glitches in that idea, but, still, maybe????

I would be singing "Everything is AWESOME" in the street if Lego decided to re-release Café Corner, Market Street and Green Grocer.

I would be more than happy if they:

- substituted parts where necessary (or simply to differentiate from the original releases)

- substituted colours where necessary (or simply to differentiate from the original releases)

- substituted the minifigures

- included new details, such as interiors

I would also be happy if they simply provided an easy "pick a brick" solution. Once again, I'm be happy with alternate colours, minifigures, substituted parts, etc.

As for the new Modular, if the Amusement Hall/Arcade rumour has been debunked and, if it is a corner building, then I'm hoping for a bank.

Or a medical clinic. Or an apartment building. Or, if it isn't a corner, then a museum, library, courthouse, police station, school/university or any one of a multitude of other buildings!

This talk of an arcade might be misleading.......what if it is a shopping arcade ? :wink:

Say two shops on the ground floor, two shops on the next floor with a stair case ?

Now that I would buy ! :grin:

I agree with you LightningTiger!

I can just picture it and I'm very surprised no one has ever MOC'ed such a thing ?

A shopping arcade does fit the feel of the modular series. They could possibly make it wider, like 32 studs deep but 48 studs wide on the front, so that you could have two rows of shops with a decent width, balcony around the second floor with the middle open.