The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Getting ready for fall/winter residential builds. Received PAB order in only 11 days. 100 sand green masonry bricks on the way from eBay. Still too much to do outdoors to stay inside and brick.

I agree! Northeast Ohio weather has been strangely dry this summer. It's been so beautiful outside to stay in and build. On the plus side, there's lots of Lego squirreled away for when Fall arrives. I was rather crestfallen when Lego put the kibosh on the X-Mansion. Luckily, I found instructions on Brickbuilderspro.com for a set that has architecture closely resembling how I visualize the X-Mansion.

Back on topic: someone mentioned imagining Flynn's Arcade from Tron Legacy as a source of inspiration for an arcade modular, and I couldn't agree more. I know the arcade was only a rumour, but has it been "officially" eliminated as the next modular?

Edited by Colossus

I wonder if we get a new Mini Modulars set like 10230 considering the fact we now have new 5 modulars since the last mini set.

I agree! Northeast Ohio weather has been strangely dry this summer. It's been so beautiful outside to stay in and build. On the plus side, there's lots of Lego squirreled away for when Fall arrives. I was rather crestfallen when Lego put the kibosh on the X-Mansion. Luckily, I found instructions on Brickbuilderspro.com for a set that has architecture closely resembling how I visualize the X-Mansion.

Back on topic: someone mentioned imagining Flynn's Arcade from Tron Legacy as a source of inspiration for an arcade modular, and I couldn't agree more. I know the arcade was only a rumour, but has it been "officially" eliminated as the next modular?

I believe it's solely from a source, so...let's say it's "sort of" true. It would be a fun departure from what we have gotten from the Modular line thus far.

If it is an arcade, I wonder, are we talking the 1980's stand up machines like Tron and Pac Man and so forth, is that the vision? or are they talking 1930's Coney Island with ski ball and ring toss and bottle throw and things like that? I know the mixer had the ring the bell game in it. At least I think it was that.

Tron arcade would be great to me if they are going to do this.

PS is available again on Lego.com USA. Just ordered another one since it provides so many useful MOC parts for residential buildings. If you don't have one, well, I'd get one now.

Although unlikely, could it be a shopping arcade? A shopping centre/mall lining an alley? Though a video/amusement arcade is more likely.

Although unlikely, could it be a shopping arcade? A shopping centre/mall lining an alley? Though a video/amusement arcade is more likely.

That would be awesome!

I doubt that so soon after the Grand Emporium we will see another building with a general 'shopping' theme. Wouldn't mind it, just don't see it happening. Not enthusiastic about an arcade as it would lend itself to being a multipurpose building without a predominate theme or color.

the Friends line also did a shopping mall, although it was nowhere near a modular, but the main thing for arcade that doesn't fit with me is the others are mostly 1920's, 1930's, 1940's era type buildings...even the Pool sign on the DO was more art deco and if they are going with that, then how does an arcade fit in?

I wasn't alive back then, but one of the things that does lend is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddock_Arcade

but again that is more of a shopping mall. I think the penny arcade games did come out in the 1930's...would have been things like the crane, grip strength, etc types

I would really like it to be a corner though, no matter what it is

Edited by Herky

The town hall has a computer in it so that alone means you cant claim the modulars aren't modern day enough that a video arcade would be out of place.

The town hall has a computer in it so that alone means you cant claim the modulars aren't modern day enough that a video arcade would be out of place.

I was just thinking that, I feel that having a few modern touches isn't a bad thing as long as the building itself has detailed and cool architecture

Would Lego take the approach of having an 1920s/30s architecture building that has been repurposed into an 80s arcade?

Lego has already unofficially identified the modular series as reflecting essentially the early 1930s despite a few small outlier elements (TH terminal) that stray from that time period.

It would be pretty disruptive and unprecedented to suddenly jump a half-century forward. Also, wasnt the rumor further clarified as an "Amusement Hall" which seems much more in line with the series than an 80's arcade like Flynn's.

All that said - the idea of an eighties modular series would be.. something. Goonies house anyone?

What defines the building and TLG's intent the most? The architecture style or the contents? Is the building of a certain era or in a certain era?

Edited by Off the wall

I would love for LEGO to come out with a book that captures the design process that went into making the past modulars and included some study/early modules that lead to the final product. They could interview Jamie & Astrid and answer questions on where they get their ideas from and so on... They already have a book like that for the minifigures, so why not the modulars? I'd love to hear the story behind the creations... What are people's thoughts on this idea?

I am not sure I would buy the book, but I would definitely look through it at the bookstore. Amusement Hall is an interesting name versus Arcade. As a kid born in the 70's and really growing up in the 80's, I spent time in an arcade here and there...so the Flynn place just comes to mind.

Amusement Hall is something else though, when I think of that, I honestly think either Old West saloon type with the stage, which probably is more of a saloon, so that isn't right or some sort of burlesque, again unlikely but that is what I think of in that case. Interesting either way.

I did forget about the computer in TH.

What defines the building and TLG's intent the most? The architecture style or the contents? Is the building of a certain era or in a certain era?

Excellent point

Thinking about the Amusement Hall/Arcade idea, TLG has already included a ping pong table in the Firehouse, and a billiards table and a dart board in the Detective Office. Potentially, if this new set is to be an amusement hall set in the 30s/40s/50s, then I would expect to see a pinball machine, a fortune-telling machine, strength testers, and maybe an automat.

If you go back and read other portions of this thread, you'll notice that we don't let facts, verification or lack of a reliable source stand in our way. :-)

How come we're still talking about an arcade?? That rumour has been discredited several times already...

Rumors can only be born, they can never die.

OK FINE!

Talking about rumors, where did the rumor of a candy shop being the new winter village set come from? Since the toy shop is now confirmed, the candy shop is now dead, unless there was confusion and the candy shop is actually the new modular? They're both Creator Expert themes so migha coulda been mixed up by whoever allegedly heard and leaked the info??? Huh? Huh?? And a candy shop would kind of tie in with the story line in the DO, but also kind of go completely against it as candy was prohibited in the DO's story...

I just wonder why Lego store employees would have a clue (where a few of these rumours seem to come from other than the above), after watching a documentary about Lego, they shutter all the windows and lock down when they see a stranger on campus (well, at least a stranger with a camera crew). How far in advance do these stores get notified about new content?