The Jersey Brick Guy

Modular Building Sets - Rumours and Discussion

see that is how it got started, we all were trying to one up each other with our fantastical ideas for modular, mine just happened to be a florist with a full greenhouse. After seeing some of the great MOC's out there, I know it can be done, actually I think it could have a basement to it and power functions, the plants could have a rotating sprayer for water and the basement could be done by building the main floor higher and a crawl space in there where the water tanks would be.

see that is how it got started, we all were trying to one up each other with our fantastical ideas for modular, mine just happened to be a florist with a full greenhouse. After seeing some of the great MOC's out there, I know it can be done, actually I think it could have a basement to it and power functions, the plants could have a rotating sprayer for water and the basement could be done by building the main floor higher and a crawl space in there where the water tanks would be.

Once again, Herky, you've failed us by not providing a story line. The key component to any modular.

Not to derail the 2016 Modular speculation, can anyone fill in the missing designers on my list? Also has there been any confirmation that the next set is being designed by Jamie?

Jaimie:

CC, GG, Mini Modulars, PS, PR, DO.

Astrid:

TH, PC

FB?, GE?

FB and GE were also a Jamie design, (that's also why FB has a #3 on the driveway because it was Jamies 3rd design :P)

I like the idea of both the greenhouse and arcade modulars, I for one hope it isn't tan, or brown, or a neutral color for the main visage color like the other 3 corners so far.

Edited by Overcold

FB and GE were also a Jamie design, (that's also why FB has a #3 on the driveway because it was Jamies 3rd design :P)

I like the idea of both the greenhouse and arcade modulars, I for one hope it isn't tan or brown or a neutral for the main color like the other 3 corners so far.

If it's an arcade, it'll probably have colors like purple, green, and red so minifigs could be attracted to it. Edited by ilikeboomerang1

If it's an arcade/amusement hall, I hope that it has either multiple apartments or "small offices" upstairs.

Maybe offices for a lawyer, dentist, psychologist, tailor or similar solo service providers. Or possibly a public space for classes, like karate or art classes.

I thought GE was not by Jamie. I thought I read that somewhere. Can anyone confirm? This was an interesting question Mogwai150!

I thought GE was not by Jamie. I thought I read that somewhere. Can anyone confirm? This was an interesting question Mogwai150!

Grand emporium was indeed by Jamie.

The next modular is going to have a basement.

Basement and it's a corner right?

Is there anywhere where someone can read about the GE & Jamie. I know I saw something about him & th FB at one point.

Edited by SFmuscle73

I have been curious about the fascination regarding the designers. To me, I am concerned that only 1 designer, no matter who it is, is having a monopoly on all the modular designs. Competition in designing brings about a better product in my opinion.

As for a greenhouse story...hmm...the cookie thief moves to hide the stash in the greenhouse, but the cops from City find the person since he gets stuck in the back and the water ruins all the cookies. Sorry I know that is lame, but it is all I have on this long week of work.

Honestly, I would like two modular buildings a year, I think you retire the older ones faster, but all in all Lego has disappointed me in 2015. The DO is the worst modular in the line IMO, I did not buy it. Is the concept there, yes, but it's almost too much and too small. I liked the ways folks MOD'd it up to make it better. Stick to one thing and give a good exterior and interior without driving up piece count (yes they do this folks, using 2 1x2's when a 1x4 will work is driving up piece count). It's the same old adage, put out a good product with good value and you will sell well.

Stick to one thing and give a good exterior and interior without driving up piece count (yes they do this folks, using 2 1x2's when a 1x4 will work is driving up piece count). It's the same old adage, put out a good product with good value and you will sell well.

I totally agree with this.. Now they put up a high piece count, and raise the price of the modular as well, but all you are getting is a lot of small pieces.

But overall speaking I got the feeling LEGO is raising the prices, even for small sets.

Well, Herky, if it's a greenhouse I'm sure your story will need to involve a substance other than cookies. And, btw, the apologists for TLG will always give you the reasons(s) why 2 1x2s are used instead of 1 1x4. As for the next modular, it will probably be one that's again geared towards children, or adults who don't want an adult product. Good for TLG and their sales goals as I'll again, like with the DO, have to buy several to create an MOC instead of something that looks like it belongs only in a eight year olds bedroom.

But, wait and see with an open mind. There's always hope a 'first generation' style modular will appear for 2016.

Following this thread daily.

hopefully it's a corner building or a separate building like PS.

Would be nice to have more housing in de modular street.

Agree with OTW, BirdofPrey and others, I just want a cool building, story doesn't matter, this is for me, an adult who likes to use the building as a stress reliever and create a nice piece. The Architecture line is the other line I collect and same thing, problem is Architecture has 3 sets a year and Modular 1 set...TLG is not getting much of my money these days.

I would buy your Florist Greenhouse Modular Herky!

Me too, Herky! Too bad it was just a made up rumour, but funny how these things go :-)

There's always hope a 'first generation' style modular will appear for 2016.

Hope springs eternal!

Oh, I dunno, I think the multiple whining posts we'll get in the meantime will make the time go faster.

In all seriousness, though, I don't think that it will be similar to the DO in style. Lego has been good wth varying the styles lately: the PC was a good Chinese-style theater like the ones found in Southern California, the PR was obviously very Parisian, and the DO was similar to buildings in old detective movies (the location is less certain, but it's the kind of buildings found in many American cities). I wonder what will inspire the next one.

You would think it is time for a bank, only to house all of the money TLG is receiving from us Modular buyers...

A bank would be good in my book, there have been a few banks in different lego themes, Harry Potter, City, I think one other, but not a true modular bank with a vault and tellers. Recently returned from Orlando and went to the Universal Studios where the Potter Gringott's bank is, and I would love to see a corner bank in that vein. Obviously replace the goblins with people, but use the old teller lines, do the vault, have the managers office. Could use the 2nd floor for accounting, third floor I am not sure...sounds like they know the modular buildings for the next 5 years so unless someone wanted to spill the beans, we will just continue to speculate. Someone go slip Jaime a mickey and see if you can find out...(just kidding folks, I do not condone that at all)

If Jaimie is truly the only designer of the modular line though, I would like to see what other folks can do, I don't know the names like some of the legoites here, but figure Jaimie can't be the only one who can do a good building.

Can't believe people are selling the Town Hall for $1000+. Just goes to show what happens once a set becomes retired.

Well, in searching completed EBay auctions, the high end of completed sales is in the area of $600 U.S. Still, not a bad return.

Edited by Off the wall

Oh, I dunno, I think the multiple whining posts we'll get in the meantime will make the time go faster.

In all seriousness, though, I don't think that it will be similar to the DO in style. Lego has been good wth varying the styles lately: the PC was a good Chinese-style theater like the ones found in Southern California, the PR was obviously very Parisian, and the DO was similar to buildings in old detective movies (the location is less certain, but it's the kind of buildings found in many American cities). I wonder what will inspire the next one.

I'll go get some ice for that burn.

In a more serious tone, I think the more recent modular buildings have been better than the older ones. Cafe Corner especially is showing its age, and the Dectective's Office actually looks like a building I'd see downtown, as opposed to Cafe Corner, which just doesn't quite fit in.

I'd be all for some cheap modular-style buildings that were just a shell without any interior; maybe they could go one step further and incorporate hinge plates so each floor could then fold up into a block shape for transport... with the amount of pieces freed up I think we'd see 4-5 floor buildings!